Sign in with
Your question

SATA and slow transfer rate

Last response: in Storage
January 8, 2004 9:23:28 PM

I'm running a P4 2.8GHz on an Intel D875PBZ and running XP Pro. I have a Seagate 7200.7 Barracuda 160GB SATA running the OS and my programs, and I have a IDE (PATA) WD 100GB 7200RPM as storage drive that I transferred from my past computer. Everything runs fine, gaming, video editing etc. But I am experiencing a slow transfer rate with my SATA drive. I noticed this when I was moving a 10GB movie file from my SATA drive to my IDE drive and it took nearly 50 minutes. (I have also noticed that virus scanning, etc. takes longer on the SATA drive, despite the fact that it has less on it)

I tested the transfer rates of both SATA and the IDE drive in my friends computer with almost an identical set up as mine and transfering the same 10GB file to or from either (both in this case were slaves to his boot disk) drive took 7 minutes tops. I suspected that it might be a controller/bus issue with my MoBo. So i tested a PCI SATA Controller card in my system and the same thing happens.

Anyone experience this before, have any ideas? Am I missing something?
January 8, 2004 10:45:53 PM

Hmmmmm, contact Seagate and run any diagnostic software they have. Your drive isn't that slow, IMO. I just got a 7k250 that took anywhere from 3 to 4 hours for 11GB...and I just RMAed it. Turns out that one of the pins was recessed into the drive (way in)...is there any physical damage to your drive?

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.
January 9, 2004 4:54:59 PM

I got my seagate as an OEM, so I dont have the paperwork or warranty on it. I have run their diagnostic software, and it told me absolutely nothing except that I have some bad clusters that I already knew about. And I have checked my drive all over, there isnt any damage. Like I said, the drive runs fine in another computer, it just seems to transfer slower in my computer. It's more of an annoyance than a problem.
!