XP File Encryption unavailable

under advanced properties, the encrypt checkbox is unavailable...system is
SP2. NTFS
3 answers Last reply
More about file encryption unavailable

    Guy wrote:

    > under advanced properties, the encrypt checkbox is unavailable...system is
    > SP2. NTFS

    Understand that file encryption in XP is fraught with danger. Know what
    you are doing before you get into it.

    How To Encrypt a Folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308989

    How To Remove File Encryption in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308993

    How To Encrypt a File in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307877

    HOW TO: Share Access to an Encrypted File in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308991

    Best practices for the Encrypting File System
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=223316

    How to back up the recovery agent Encrypting File System (EFS) private
    key in Windows Server 2003, in Windows 2000, and in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=241201

    How to add an EFS recovery agent in Windows XP Professional
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=887414

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hi,

    This KB gives a very good overview of the encryption facility under NTFS in Windows XP.

    How To Encrypt a File in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307877

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Guy" <sailor@guym.com> wrote in message news:O41gZL3bFHA.2288@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > under advanced properties, the encrypt checkbox is unavailable...system is SP2. NTFS

    "Guy" <sailor@guym.com> wrote in message
    > under advanced properties, the encrypt checkbox is unavailable...system is
    > SP2. NTFS

    But is it XP Professional or Home ?

    EFS is only on Pro.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "Guy" <sailor@guym.com> wrote in message
    > under advanced properties, the encrypt checkbox is unavailable...system is
    > SP2. NTFS

Encryption Microsoft Windows XP