XP File Encryption unavailable

June 12, 2005 5:19:27 PM

under advanced properties, the encrypt checkbox is unavailable...system is
SP2. NTFS
June 12, 2005 5:19:28 PM

Guy wrote:

> under advanced properties, the encrypt checkbox is unavailable...system is
> SP2. NTFS

Understand that file encryption in XP is fraught with danger. Know what
you are doing before you get into it.

How To Encrypt a Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308989

How To Remove File Encryption in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308993

How To Encrypt a File in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307877

HOW TO: Share Access to an Encrypted File in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308991

Best practices for the Encrypting File System
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=223316

How to back up the recovery agent Encrypting File System (EFS) private
key in Windows Server 2003, in Windows 2000, and in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=241201

How to add an EFS recovery agent in Windows XP Professional
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=887414

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hi,

This KB gives a very good overview of the encryption facility under NTFS in Windows XP.

How To Encrypt a File in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307877

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Guy" <sailor@guym.com> wrote in message news:o 41gZL3bFHA.2288@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> under advanced properties, the encrypt checkbox is unavailable...system is SP2. NTFS

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 1:10:06 AM

"Guy" <sailor@guym.com> wrote in message
news:o 41gZL3bFHA.2288@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> under advanced properties, the encrypt checkbox is unavailable...system is
> SP2. NTFS

But is it XP Professional or Home ?

EFS is only on Pro.

--