MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

I recently installed a second hard drive disc. It is 20gb and I only use it
for media. The type of drive is a Western Digital Protégé. I installed it all
ok, went through BIOS to detect the drive, and installed it on windows. The
problem is when I go to play or use a file on this drive, sometimes the
system will crash to the 'blue screen of death.' On that screen it says
"MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION." And with all of that, some stop hex codes and
whatnot. What I need to know is how to stop this from happening. Here's my
system specs...

• Operating System: (WinXP Professional 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build #2600))
• Memory: 1Gigabyte (1024megabytes) Corsair Ram (XMS - or Xtreme Memory Speed)
• Display Info: 1280 by 1024, 32bit colors, 100 Hz Refresh rate (Monitor: HP
D2847 P1110 21-inch flatscreen (CRT))
• CPU Info: 1 CPU, AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 Processor, 2.6 GHz (Overclocked a
bit), L1: 64KB, L2: 1024KB (0% load) (Average Temp: 100 degrees faherenheit
(or 40 degrees celsius))
• Hard Disc Info: 69.23 Gigabytes total, 45.23 Gigabytes Free (Western
Digital Gator at about 10,000+rpm)
• Connection: Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Bast-T Adapter,
Copper RJ-45 - Packet Scheduler Miniport (1000Mb/s)

Thats about it I guess. My mother board is a K8 Triton (series) -
GA-K8NSNXP-939 (nForce3 Ultra Chipset)

Hopefully someone can help me fix this error! Thanks, -Robert
17 answers Last reply
More about machine_check_exception

    Robert wrote:

    > I recently installed a second hard drive disc. It is 20gb and I only use it
    > for media. The type of drive is a Western Digital Protégé. I installed it all
    > ok, went through BIOS to detect the drive, and installed it on windows. The
    > problem is when I go to play or use a file on this drive, sometimes the
    > system will crash to the 'blue screen of death.' On that screen it says
    > "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION." And with all of that, some stop hex codes and
    > whatnot. What I need to know is how to stop this from happening. Here's my
    > system specs...

    The answer is in the series of hex codes. Look up Chap. 13,
    Volume 3 of the Intel Architecture System Developer;s Manual.
    Can be downloaded from the Intel website. Unless one has the
    time to sort through the gibberish, the usual situation is
    the introduction of an incompatible piece of hardware into
    the computer or through driver files written for it.

    Robert wrote:

    > I recently installed a second hard drive disc. It is 20gb and I only use it
    > for media. The type of drive is a Western Digital Protégé. I installed it all
    > ok, went through BIOS to detect the drive, and installed it on windows. The
    > problem is when I go to play or use a file on this drive, sometimes the
    > system will crash to the 'blue screen of death.' On that screen it says
    > "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION." And with all of that, some stop hex codes and
    > whatnot. What I need to know is how to stop this from happening. Here's my
    > system specs...
    >
    > • Operating System: (WinXP Professional 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build #2600))
    > • Memory: 1Gigabyte (1024megabytes) Corsair Ram (XMS - or Xtreme Memory Speed)
    > • Display Info: 1280 by 1024, 32bit colors, 100 Hz Refresh rate (Monitor: HP
    > D2847 P1110 21-inch flatscreen (CRT))
    > • CPU Info: 1 CPU, AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 Processor, 2.6 GHz (Overclocked a
    > bit), L1: 64KB, L2: 1024KB (0% load) (Average Temp: 100 degrees faherenheit
    > (or 40 degrees celsius))
    > • Hard Disc Info: 69.23 Gigabytes total, 45.23 Gigabytes Free (Western
    > Digital Gator at about 10,000+rpm)
    > • Connection: Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Bast-T Adapter,
    > Copper RJ-45 - Packet Scheduler Miniport (1000Mb/s)
    >
    > Thats about it I guess. My mother board is a K8 Triton (series) -
    > GA-K8NSNXP-939 (nForce3 Ultra Chipset)
    >
    > Hopefully someone can help me fix this error! Thanks, -Robert

    0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
    http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "Rock" wrote:

    > Robert wrote:
    >
    > > I recently installed a second hard drive disc. It is 20gb and I only use it
    > > for media. The type of drive is a Western Digital Protégé. I installed it all
    > > ok, went through BIOS to detect the drive, and installed it on windows. The
    > > problem is when I go to play or use a file on this drive, sometimes the
    > > system will crash to the 'blue screen of death.' On that screen it says
    > > "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION." And with all of that, some stop hex codes and
    > > whatnot. What I need to know is how to stop this from happening. Here's my
    > > system specs...
    > >
    > > • Operating System: (WinXP Professional 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build #2600))
    > > • Memory: 1Gigabyte (1024megabytes) Corsair Ram (XMS - or Xtreme Memory Speed)
    > > • Display Info: 1280 by 1024, 32bit colors, 100 Hz Refresh rate (Monitor: HP
    > > D2847 P1110 21-inch flatscreen (CRT))
    > > • CPU Info: 1 CPU, AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 Processor, 2.6 GHz (Overclocked a
    > > bit), L1: 64KB, L2: 1024KB (0% load) (Average Temp: 100 degrees faherenheit
    > > (or 40 degrees celsius))
    > > • Hard Disc Info: 69.23 Gigabytes total, 45.23 Gigabytes Free (Western
    > > Digital Gator at about 10,000+rpm)
    > > • Connection: Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Bast-T Adapter,
    > > Copper RJ-45 - Packet Scheduler Miniport (1000Mb/s)
    > >
    > > Thats about it I guess. My mother board is a K8 Triton (series) -
    > > GA-K8NSNXP-939 (nForce3 Ultra Chipset)
    > >
    > > Hopefully someone can help me fix this error! Thanks, -Robert
    >
    > 0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
    > http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
    >
    > --
    > Rock
    > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    None of these advices are telling me how to FIX the error. And I am NOT
    using Intel, Its AMD Athlon FX-53 (Clawhammer) Processor.

    Most importantly what wattage (pun, Sorry) is the Power Supply ?
    If I deciphered your specs, you have three hard drives. How are
    these drives mounted. Hopefully, not on top of each other. Many
    drives report their temps to Everest Home Edition. I would download
    it and check their ambient thermals.

    Also, timings are critical - no combination of hardware reacts the
    same to modified clocking. You might revert back to normal timings
    and see if it changes anything.

    "R. McCarty" wrote:

    > Most importantly what wattage (pun, Sorry) is the Power Supply ?
    > If I deciphered your specs, you have three hard drives. How are
    > these drives mounted. Hopefully, not on top of each other. Many
    > drives report their temps to Everest Home Edition. I would download
    > it and check their ambient thermals.
    >
    > Also, timings are critical - no combination of hardware reacts the
    > same to modified clocking. You might revert back to normal timings
    > and see if it changes anything.
    >

    > "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > >> 0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
    > >> http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Rock
    > >> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
    > >>

    > > None of these advices are telling me how to FIX the error. And I am NOT
    > > using Intel, Its AMD Athlon FX-53 (Clawhammer) Processor.

    I have a 900watt power supply. I have 2 HDD's. One of them is the system
    disc, and the other is just for media. Paging has been disabled on the 2nd
    hdd, the drives are mounted about 2" from each other with the male pins up.

    Robert <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I recently installed a second hard drive disc. It is 20gb and I only use it
    >for media. The type of drive is a Western Digital Protégé. I installed it all
    >ok, went through BIOS to detect the drive, and installed it on windows. The
    >problem is when I go to play or use a file on this drive, sometimes the
    >system will crash to the 'blue screen of death.' On that screen it says
    >"MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION." And with all of that, some stop hex codes and
    >whatnot. What I need to know is how to stop this from happening. Here's my
    >system specs...

    What we need in order to be able to help you is the actual content of
    the "stop hex codes and whatnot". That information can be the
    essential clue to the underlying cause of your problem.

    Causes of your particular error are usually hardware related.
    Overheating, overclocking, or an actual hardware defect (RAM, CPU,
    Motherboard) are the most common.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > Robert <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I recently installed a second hard drive disc. It is 20gb and I only use it
    > >for media. The type of drive is a Western Digital Protégé. I installed it all
    > >ok, went through BIOS to detect the drive, and installed it on windows. The
    > >problem is when I go to play or use a file on this drive, sometimes the
    > >system will crash to the 'blue screen of death.' On that screen it says
    > >"MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION." And with all of that, some stop hex codes and
    > >whatnot. What I need to know is how to stop this from happening. Here's my
    > >system specs...
    >
    > What we need in order to be able to help you is the actual content of
    > the "stop hex codes and whatnot". That information can be the
    > essential clue to the underlying cause of your problem.
    >
    > Causes of your particular error are usually hardware related.
    > Overheating, overclocking, or an actual hardware defect (RAM, CPU,
    > Motherboard) are the most common.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ok -- It crashed again. I got the codes.. Here it is..

    MACHINE_CHEC_EXCEPTION

    STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x80545FF0, 0xB2000000, 0x00070F0F)

    Hope that helps ya :)

    Robert <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Ok -- It crashed again. I got the codes.. Here it is..
    >
    >MACHINE_CHEC_EXCEPTION
    >
    >STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x80545FF0, 0xB2000000, 0x00070F0F)
    >
    >Hope that helps ya :)

    Okay.

    What is the make and model of your main hard drive?

    Are the two hard drives connected as Master and Slave on the same IDE
    channel? If so can you temporarily rejumper and reconfigure the
    drives so that the main hard drive is the Master (or only) drive on
    the Primary IDE channel and the Western Digital 20 gb drive is the
    Master drive on the Seconday IDE channel. For testing purposes you
    can leave the CDROM/CDRW/DVD drives temporarily disconnect. See if
    the errors persist in this configuration.

    You could also try running the Western Digital diagnostics (free
    download from www.westerndigital.com) on the 20 gb drive to ensure
    that there is not a fault in this drive. A 20 gb drive is probably a
    few years old and they do not last forever.

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > Robert <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >

    > >Ok -- It crashed again. I got the codes.. Here it is..
    > >
    > >MACHINE_CHEC_EXCEPTION
    > >
    > >STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x80545FF0, 0xB2000000, 0x00070F0F)
    > >
    > >Hope that helps ya :)
    >

    > Okay.
    >
    > What is the make and model of your main hard drive?
    >
    > Are the two hard drives connected as Master and Slave on the same IDE
    > channel? If so can you temporarily rejumper and reconfigure the
    > drives so that the main hard drive is the Master (or only) drive on
    > the Primary IDE channel and the Western Digital 20 gb drive is the
    > Master drive on the Seconday IDE channel. For testing purposes you
    > can leave the CDROM/CDRW/DVD drives temporarily disconnect. See if
    > the errors persist in this configuration.
    >
    > You could also try running the Western Digital diagnostics (free
    > download from www.westerndigital.com) on the 20 gb drive to ensure
    > that there is not a fault in this drive. A 20 gb drive is probably a
    > few years old and they do not last forever.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    When running the extended test, the blue screen of death comes up. However,
    the quick scan runs fine. The two hard drives are connected on different
    cables, one cable (silver-bluish) is connected to the 74gb HDD. The 20gb HDD
    is connected to the serial ata100/133 cable (which is also hooked up to the
    cd-rom). The HDD is set as Master, however it is in the Slave slot of the
    cable. I have tried setting Slave as the property of the HDD, but BIOS or
    Windows will not detect it.

    Robert <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >When running the extended test, the blue screen of death comes up. However,
    >the quick scan runs fine. The two hard drives are connected on different
    >cables, one cable (silver-bluish) is connected to the 74gb HDD. The 20gb HDD
    >is connected to the serial ata100/133 cable (which is also hooked up to the
    >cd-rom). The HDD is set as Master, however it is in the Slave slot of the
    >cable. I have tried setting Slave as the property of the HDD, but BIOS or
    >Windows will not detect it.

    I think you should go back to the WD site and get the Data Lifeguard
    Diagnostics for DOS, create the bootable CD and boot your computer
    with it.

    We need to isolate this problem between Windows and the drive itself,
    and using the DOS diagnostics is the way to do this.

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > Robert <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >

    > >When running the extended test, the blue screen of death comes up. However,
    > >the quick scan runs fine. The two hard drives are connected on different
    > >cables, one cable (silver-bluish) is connected to the 74gb HDD. The 20gb HDD
    > >is connected to the serial ata100/133 cable (which is also hooked up to the
    > >cd-rom). The HDD is set as Master, however it is in the Slave slot of the
    > >cable. I have tried setting Slave as the property of the HDD, but BIOS or
    > >Windows will not detect it.
    >
    > I think you should go back to the WD site and get the Data Lifeguard
    > Diagnostics for DOS, create the bootable CD and boot your computer
    > with it.
    >
    > We need to isolate this problem between Windows and the drive itself,
    > and using the DOS diagnostics is the way to do this.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Sorry -- but can you explain how to do that? =\

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > Robert <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >

    > >When running the extended test, the blue screen of death comes up. However,
    > >the quick scan runs fine. The two hard drives are connected on different
    > >cables, one cable (silver-bluish) is connected to the 74gb HDD. The 20gb HDD
    > >is connected to the serial ata100/133 cable (which is also hooked up to the
    > >cd-rom). The HDD is set as Master, however it is in the Slave slot of the
    > >cable. I have tried setting Slave as the property of the HDD, but BIOS or
    > >Windows will not detect it.
    >
    > I think you should go back to the WD site and get the Data Lifeguard
    > Diagnostics for DOS, create the bootable CD and boot your computer
    > with it.
    >
    > We need to isolate this problem between Windows and the drive itself,
    > and using the DOS diagnostics is the way to do this.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    There is no cd burner, or A: (floppy) drive on this pc. I will be getting a
    cd/dvd burner soon =\

    Robert <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >There is no cd burner, or A: (floppy) drive on this pc. I will be getting a
    >cd/dvd burner soon =\

    Whoops. Forgot to ask you if you had a burner.

    Do you know someone with a CDBurner that would download the file and
    create the CD for you?

    If not then I will go back and scratch my head a little deeper and see
    what other ideas I can come up with.

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > Robert <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >

    > >There is no cd burner, or A: (floppy) drive on this pc. I will be getting a
    > >cd/dvd burner soon =\
    >
    > Whoops. Forgot to ask you if you had a burner.
    >
    > Do you know someone with a CDBurner that would download the file and
    > create the CD for you?
    >
    > If not then I will go back and scratch my head a little deeper and see
    > what other ideas I can come up with.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Actually -- I didn't think of that either haha -- I have 2 other computers
    in this house that have burners :D

    Just came across this thread.

    If you are running an AMD chip - check the temp in the setup screen. I have
    and AMD CPU and it crashed with a BSOD same error codes. I smeared some
    clear heat compound on both faces cpu/fan heatsink. All is now okay and has
    been fine for 18 months.

    > Robert <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >

    > >Ok -- It crashed again. I got the codes.. Here it is..
    > >
    > >MACHINE_CHEC_EXCEPTION
    > >
    > >STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x80545FF0, 0xB2000000, 0x00070F0F)
    > >
    > >Hope that helps ya :)
    >

    > Okay.
    >
    > What is the make and model of your main hard drive?
    >
    > Are the two hard drives connected as Master and Slave on the same IDE
    > channel? If so can you temporarily rejumper and reconfigure the
    > drives so that the main hard drive is the Master (or only) drive on
    > the Primary IDE channel and the Western Digital 20 gb drive is the
    > Master drive on the Seconday IDE channel. For testing purposes you
    > can leave the CDROM/CDRW/DVD drives temporarily disconnect. See if
    > the errors persist in this configuration.
    >
    > You could also try running the Western Digital diagnostics (free
    > download from www.westerndigital.com) on the 20 gb drive to ensure
    > that there is not a fault in this drive. A 20 gb drive is probably a
    > few years old and they do not last forever.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    I have the same problem, and I don't know what to do

    AMD 64 3000+
    1 Gb DDRam
    HDD1 20Gb
    HDD2 80Gb
    HDD3 80Gb

    I installed a new HDD. And if I wanna play a song on the specific HDD my
    computer freezes and it also have the following code as problem

    Blue screen:=>

    MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

    STOP: 0x0000009c (0x00000004,0x80545FF0,0xB2000000,0x00070F0F)

    Maybe u can help ;-)

    Joogle wrote:
    > I have the same problem, and I don't know what to do
    >
    > AMD 64 3000+
    > 1 Gb DDRam
    > HDD1 20Gb
    > HDD2 80Gb
    > HDD3 80Gb
    >
    > I installed a new HDD. And if I wanna play a song on the specific HDD my
    > computer freezes and it also have the following code as problem
    >
    > Blue screen:=>
    >
    > MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
    >
    > STOP: 0x0000009c (0x00000004,0x80545FF0,0xB2000000,0x00070F0F)
    >
    > Maybe u can help ;-)

    See this link for some information on this error:
    http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
    0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

    --
    Rock