MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

Tags:
  • Windows XP
June 12, 2005 3:06:04 PM

I recently installed a second hard drive disc. It is 20gb and I only use it
for media. The type of drive is a Western Digital Protégé. I installed it all
ok, went through BIOS to detect the drive, and installed it on windows. The
problem is when I go to play or use a file on this drive, sometimes the
system will crash to the 'blue screen of death.' On that screen it says
"MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION." And with all of that, some stop hex codes and
whatnot. What I need to know is how to stop this from happening. Here's my
system specs...

• Operating System: (WinXP Professional 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build #2600))
• Memory: 1Gigabyte (1024megabytes) Corsair Ram (XMS - or Xtreme Memory Speed)
• Display Info: 1280 by 1024, 32bit colors, 100 Hz Refresh rate (Monitor: HP
D2847 P1110 21-inch flatscreen (CRT))
• CPU Info: 1 CPU, AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 Processor, 2.6 GHz (Overclocked a
bit), L1: 64KB, L2: 1024KB (0% load) (Average Temp: 100 degrees faherenheit
(or 40 degrees celsius))
• Hard Disc Info: 69.23 Gigabytes total, 45.23 Gigabytes Free (Western
Digital Gator at about 10,000+rpm)
• Connection: Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Bast-T Adapter,
Copper RJ-45 - Packet Scheduler Miniport (1000Mb/s)

Thats about it I guess. My mother board is a K8 Triton (series) -
GA-K8NSNXP-939 (nForce3 Ultra Chipset)

Hopefully someone can help me fix this error! Thanks, -Robert

More about : machine check exception

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 4:04:52 PM

Robert wrote:

> I recently installed a second hard drive disc. It is 20gb and I only use it
> for media. The type of drive is a Western Digital Protégé. I installed it all
> ok, went through BIOS to detect the drive, and installed it on windows. The
> problem is when I go to play or use a file on this drive, sometimes the
> system will crash to the 'blue screen of death.' On that screen it says
> "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION." And with all of that, some stop hex codes and
> whatnot. What I need to know is how to stop this from happening. Here's my
> system specs...

The answer is in the series of hex codes. Look up Chap. 13,
Volume 3 of the Intel Architecture System Developer;s Manual.
Can be downloaded from the Intel website. Unless one has the
time to sort through the gibberish, the usual situation is
the introduction of an incompatible piece of hardware into
the computer or through driver files written for it.
June 12, 2005 4:06:53 PM

Robert wrote:

> I recently installed a second hard drive disc. It is 20gb and I only use it
> for media. The type of drive is a Western Digital Protégé. I installed it all
> ok, went through BIOS to detect the drive, and installed it on windows. The
> problem is when I go to play or use a file on this drive, sometimes the
> system will crash to the 'blue screen of death.' On that screen it says
> "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION." And with all of that, some stop hex codes and
> whatnot. What I need to know is how to stop this from happening. Here's my
> system specs...
>
> • Operating System: (WinXP Professional 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build #2600))
> • Memory: 1Gigabyte (1024megabytes) Corsair Ram (XMS - or Xtreme Memory Speed)
> • Display Info: 1280 by 1024, 32bit colors, 100 Hz Refresh rate (Monitor: HP
> D2847 P1110 21-inch flatscreen (CRT))
> • CPU Info: 1 CPU, AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 Processor, 2.6 GHz (Overclocked a
> bit), L1: 64KB, L2: 1024KB (0% load) (Average Temp: 100 degrees faherenheit
> (or 40 degrees celsius))
> • Hard Disc Info: 69.23 Gigabytes total, 45.23 Gigabytes Free (Western
> Digital Gator at about 10,000+rpm)
> • Connection: Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Bast-T Adapter,
> Copper RJ-45 - Packet Scheduler Miniport (1000Mb/s)
>
> Thats about it I guess. My mother board is a K8 Triton (series) -
> GA-K8NSNXP-939 (nForce3 Ultra Chipset)
>
> Hopefully someone can help me fix this error! Thanks, -Robert

0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

"Rock" wrote:

> Robert wrote:
>
> > I recently installed a second hard drive disc. It is 20gb and I only use it
> > for media. The type of drive is a Western Digital Protégé. I installed it all
> > ok, went through BIOS to detect the drive, and installed it on windows. The
> > problem is when I go to play or use a file on this drive, sometimes the
> > system will crash to the 'blue screen of death.' On that screen it says
> > "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION." And with all of that, some stop hex codes and
> > whatnot. What I need to know is how to stop this from happening. Here's my
> > system specs...
> >
> > • Operating System: (WinXP Professional 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build #2600))
> > • Memory: 1Gigabyte (1024megabytes) Corsair Ram (XMS - or Xtreme Memory Speed)
> > • Display Info: 1280 by 1024, 32bit colors, 100 Hz Refresh rate (Monitor: HP
> > D2847 P1110 21-inch flatscreen (CRT))
> > • CPU Info: 1 CPU, AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 Processor, 2.6 GHz (Overclocked a
> > bit), L1: 64KB, L2: 1024KB (0% load) (Average Temp: 100 degrees faherenheit
> > (or 40 degrees celsius))
> > • Hard Disc Info: 69.23 Gigabytes total, 45.23 Gigabytes Free (Western
> > Digital Gator at about 10,000+rpm)
> > • Connection: Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Bast-T Adapter,
> > Copper RJ-45 - Packet Scheduler Miniport (1000Mb/s)
> >
> > Thats about it I guess. My mother board is a K8 Triton (series) -
> > GA-K8NSNXP-939 (nForce3 Ultra Chipset)
> >
> > Hopefully someone can help me fix this error! Thanks, -Robert
>
> 0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
> http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

None of these advices are telling me how to FIX the error. And I am NOT
using Intel, Its AMD Athlon FX-53 (Clawhammer) Processor.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 8:32:04 PM

Most importantly what wattage (pun, Sorry) is the Power Supply ?
If I deciphered your specs, you have three hard drives. How are
these drives mounted. Hopefully, not on top of each other. Many
drives report their temps to Everest Home Edition. I would download
it and check their ambient thermals.

Also, timings are critical - no combination of hardware reacts the
same to modified clocking. You might revert back to normal timings
and see if it changes anything.

"Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> Robert wrote:
>>
>> > I recently installed a second hard drive disc. It is 20gb and I only
>> > use it
>> > for media. The type of drive is a Western Digital Protégé. I
>> > installed it all
>> > ok, went through BIOS to detect the drive, and installed it on windows.
>> > The
>> > problem is when I go to play or use a file on this drive, sometimes the
>> > system will crash to the 'blue screen of death.' On that screen it says
>> > "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION." And with all of that, some stop hex codes
>> > and
>> > whatnot. What I need to know is how to stop this from happening. Here's
>> > my
>> > system specs...
>> >
>> > â?¢ Operating System: (WinXP Professional 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build
>> > #2600))
>> > â?¢ Memory: 1Gigabyte (1024megabytes) Corsair Ram (XMS - or Xtreme
>> > Memory Speed)
>> > â?¢ Display Info: 1280 by 1024, 32bit colors, 100 Hz Refresh rate
>> > (Monitor: HP
>> > D2847 P1110 21-inch flatscreen (CRT))
>> > â?¢ CPU Info: 1 CPU, AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 Processor, 2.6 GHz
>> > (Overclocked a
>> > bit), L1: 64KB, L2: 1024KB (0% load) (Average Temp: 100 degrees
>> > faherenheit
>> > (or 40 degrees celsius))
>> > â?¢ Hard Disc Info: 69.23 Gigabytes total, 45.23 Gigabytes Free
>> > (Western
>> > Digital Gator at about 10,000+rpm)
>> > â?¢ Connection: Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Bast-T
>> > Adapter,
>> > Copper RJ-45 - Packet Scheduler Miniport (1000Mb/s)
>> >
>> > Thats about it I guess. My mother board is a K8 Triton (series) -
>> > GA-K8NSNXP-939 (nForce3 Ultra Chipset)
>> >
>> > Hopefully someone can help me fix this error! Thanks, -Robert
>>
>> 0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
>> http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
>>
>> --
>> Rock
>> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>>

> None of these advices are telling me how to FIX the error. And I am NOT
> using Intel, Its AMD Athlon FX-53 (Clawhammer) Processor.
June 12, 2005 8:32:05 PM

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> Most importantly what wattage (pun, Sorry) is the Power Supply ?
> If I deciphered your specs, you have three hard drives. How are
> these drives mounted. Hopefully, not on top of each other. Many
> drives report their temps to Everest Home Edition. I would download
> it and check their ambient thermals.
>
> Also, timings are critical - no combination of hardware reacts the
> same to modified clocking. You might revert back to normal timings
> and see if it changes anything.
>

> "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> 0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
> >> http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
> >>
> >> --
> >> Rock
> >> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
> >>

> > None of these advices are telling me how to FIX the error. And I am NOT
> > using Intel, Its AMD Athlon FX-53 (Clawhammer) Processor.

I have a 900watt power supply. I have 2 HDD's. One of them is the system
disc, and the other is just for media. Paging has been disabled on the 2nd
hdd, the drives are mounted about 2" from each other with the male pins up.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 12:51:41 AM

Robert <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I recently installed a second hard drive disc. It is 20gb and I only use it
>for media. The type of drive is a Western Digital Protégé. I installed it all
>ok, went through BIOS to detect the drive, and installed it on windows. The
>problem is when I go to play or use a file on this drive, sometimes the
>system will crash to the 'blue screen of death.' On that screen it says
>"MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION." And with all of that, some stop hex codes and
>whatnot. What I need to know is how to stop this from happening. Here's my
>system specs...

What we need in order to be able to help you is the actual content of
the "stop hex codes and whatnot". That information can be the
essential clue to the underlying cause of your problem.

Causes of your particular error are usually hardware related.
Overheating, overclocking, or an actual hardware defect (RAM, CPU,
Motherboard) are the most common.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
June 13, 2005 11:19:01 PM

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> Robert <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I recently installed a second hard drive disc. It is 20gb and I only use it
> >for media. The type of drive is a Western Digital Protégé. I installed it all
> >ok, went through BIOS to detect the drive, and installed it on windows. The
> >problem is when I go to play or use a file on this drive, sometimes the
> >system will crash to the 'blue screen of death.' On that screen it says
> >"MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION." And with all of that, some stop hex codes and
> >whatnot. What I need to know is how to stop this from happening. Here's my
> >system specs...
>
> What we need in order to be able to help you is the actual content of
> the "stop hex codes and whatnot". That information can be the
> essential clue to the underlying cause of your problem.
>
> Causes of your particular error are usually hardware related.
> Overheating, overclocking, or an actual hardware defect (RAM, CPU,
> Motherboard) are the most common.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Ok -- It crashed again. I got the codes.. Here it is..

MACHINE_CHEC_EXCEPTION

STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x80545FF0, 0xB2000000, 0x00070F0F)

Hope that helps ya :)
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 6:51:09 AM

Robert <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Ok -- It crashed again. I got the codes.. Here it is..
>
>MACHINE_CHEC_EXCEPTION
>
>STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x80545FF0, 0xB2000000, 0x00070F0F)
>
>Hope that helps ya :)

Okay.

What is the make and model of your main hard drive?

Are the two hard drives connected as Master and Slave on the same IDE
channel? If so can you temporarily rejumper and reconfigure the
drives so that the main hard drive is the Master (or only) drive on
the Primary IDE channel and the Western Digital 20 gb drive is the
Master drive on the Seconday IDE channel. For testing purposes you
can leave the CDROM/CDRW/DVD drives temporarily disconnect. See if
the errors persist in this configuration.

You could also try running the Western Digital diagnostics (free
download from www.westerndigital.com) on the 20 gb drive to ensure
that there is not a fault in this drive. A 20 gb drive is probably a
few years old and they do not last forever.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
June 14, 2005 6:51:10 AM

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> Robert <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

> >Ok -- It crashed again. I got the codes.. Here it is..
> >
> >MACHINE_CHEC_EXCEPTION
> >
> >STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x80545FF0, 0xB2000000, 0x00070F0F)
> >
> >Hope that helps ya :)
>

> Okay.
>
> What is the make and model of your main hard drive?
>
> Are the two hard drives connected as Master and Slave on the same IDE
> channel? If so can you temporarily rejumper and reconfigure the
> drives so that the main hard drive is the Master (or only) drive on
> the Primary IDE channel and the Western Digital 20 gb drive is the
> Master drive on the Seconday IDE channel. For testing purposes you
> can leave the CDROM/CDRW/DVD drives temporarily disconnect. See if
> the errors persist in this configuration.
>
> You could also try running the Western Digital diagnostics (free
> download from www.westerndigital.com) on the 20 gb drive to ensure
> that there is not a fault in this drive. A 20 gb drive is probably a
> few years old and they do not last forever.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

When running the extended test, the blue screen of death comes up. However,
the quick scan runs fine. The two hard drives are connected on different
cables, one cable (silver-bluish) is connected to the 74gb HDD. The 20gb HDD
is connected to the serial ata100/133 cable (which is also hooked up to the
cd-rom). The HDD is set as Master, however it is in the Slave slot of the
cable. I have tried setting Slave as the property of the HDD, but BIOS or
Windows will not detect it.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 11:11:32 PM

Robert <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When running the extended test, the blue screen of death comes up. However,
>the quick scan runs fine. The two hard drives are connected on different
>cables, one cable (silver-bluish) is connected to the 74gb HDD. The 20gb HDD
>is connected to the serial ata100/133 cable (which is also hooked up to the
>cd-rom). The HDD is set as Master, however it is in the Slave slot of the
>cable. I have tried setting Slave as the property of the HDD, but BIOS or
>Windows will not detect it.

I think you should go back to the WD site and get the Data Lifeguard
Diagnostics for DOS, create the bootable CD and boot your computer
with it.

We need to isolate this problem between Windows and the drive itself,
and using the DOS diagnostics is the way to do this.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
June 14, 2005 11:11:33 PM

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> Robert <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

> >When running the extended test, the blue screen of death comes up. However,
> >the quick scan runs fine. The two hard drives are connected on different
> >cables, one cable (silver-bluish) is connected to the 74gb HDD. The 20gb HDD
> >is connected to the serial ata100/133 cable (which is also hooked up to the
> >cd-rom). The HDD is set as Master, however it is in the Slave slot of the
> >cable. I have tried setting Slave as the property of the HDD, but BIOS or
> >Windows will not detect it.
>
> I think you should go back to the WD site and get the Data Lifeguard
> Diagnostics for DOS, create the bootable CD and boot your computer
> with it.
>
> We need to isolate this problem between Windows and the drive itself,
> and using the DOS diagnostics is the way to do this.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Sorry -- but can you explain how to do that? =\
June 14, 2005 11:11:33 PM

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> Robert <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

> >When running the extended test, the blue screen of death comes up. However,
> >the quick scan runs fine. The two hard drives are connected on different
> >cables, one cable (silver-bluish) is connected to the 74gb HDD. The 20gb HDD
> >is connected to the serial ata100/133 cable (which is also hooked up to the
> >cd-rom). The HDD is set as Master, however it is in the Slave slot of the
> >cable. I have tried setting Slave as the property of the HDD, but BIOS or
> >Windows will not detect it.
>
> I think you should go back to the WD site and get the Data Lifeguard
> Diagnostics for DOS, create the bootable CD and boot your computer
> with it.
>
> We need to isolate this problem between Windows and the drive itself,
> and using the DOS diagnostics is the way to do this.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

There is no cd burner, or A: (floppy) drive on this pc. I will be getting a
cd/dvd burner soon =\
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 2:46:39 AM

Robert <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>There is no cd burner, or A: (floppy) drive on this pc. I will be getting a
>cd/dvd burner soon =\

Whoops. Forgot to ask you if you had a burner.

Do you know someone with a CDBurner that would download the file and
create the CD for you?

If not then I will go back and scratch my head a little deeper and see
what other ideas I can come up with.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
June 15, 2005 2:46:40 AM

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> Robert <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

> >There is no cd burner, or A: (floppy) drive on this pc. I will be getting a
> >cd/dvd burner soon =\
>
> Whoops. Forgot to ask you if you had a burner.
>
> Do you know someone with a CDBurner that would download the file and
> create the CD for you?
>
> If not then I will go back and scratch my head a little deeper and see
> what other ideas I can come up with.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Actually -- I didn't think of that either haha -- I have 2 other computers
in this house that have burners :D
June 16, 2005 6:06:00 PM

Just came across this thread.

If you are running an AMD chip - check the temp in the setup screen. I have
and AMD CPU and it crashed with a BSOD same error codes. I smeared some
clear heat compound on both faces cpu/fan heatsink. All is now okay and has
been fine for 18 months.

> Robert <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

> >Ok -- It crashed again. I got the codes.. Here it is..
> >
> >MACHINE_CHEC_EXCEPTION
> >
> >STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x80545FF0, 0xB2000000, 0x00070F0F)
> >
> >Hope that helps ya :)
>

> Okay.
>
> What is the make and model of your main hard drive?
>
> Are the two hard drives connected as Master and Slave on the same IDE
> channel? If so can you temporarily rejumper and reconfigure the
> drives so that the main hard drive is the Master (or only) drive on
> the Primary IDE channel and the Western Digital 20 gb drive is the
> Master drive on the Seconday IDE channel. For testing purposes you
> can leave the CDROM/CDRW/DVD drives temporarily disconnect. See if
> the errors persist in this configuration.
>
> You could also try running the Western Digital diagnostics (free
> download from www.westerndigital.com) on the 20 gb drive to ensure
> that there is not a fault in this drive. A 20 gb drive is probably a
> few years old and they do not last forever.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 7:36:01 PM

I have the same problem, and I don't know what to do

AMD 64 3000+
1 Gb DDRam
HDD1 20Gb
HDD2 80Gb
HDD3 80Gb

I installed a new HDD. And if I wanna play a song on the specific HDD my
computer freezes and it also have the following code as problem

Blue screen:=>

MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

STOP: 0x0000009c (0x00000004,0x80545FF0,0xB2000000,0x00070F0F)

Maybe u can help ;-)
July 10, 2005 11:35:25 PM

Joogle wrote:
> I have the same problem, and I don't know what to do
>
> AMD 64 3000+
> 1 Gb DDRam
> HDD1 20Gb
> HDD2 80Gb
> HDD3 80Gb
>
> I installed a new HDD. And if I wanna play a song on the specific HDD my
> computer freezes and it also have the following code as problem
>
> Blue screen:=>
>
> MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
>
> STOP: 0x0000009c (0x00000004,0x80545FF0,0xB2000000,0x00070F0F)
>
> Maybe u can help ;-)

See this link for some information on this error:

!