Sage

Distinguished
May 20, 2001

Can someone help?

In XP Pro I can use gpedit.msc by going to command prompt, but not in
XP Home edition - so how do I get to administrative tools options in
Home ed?

Help is appreciated

Gpedit.msc is not available with Windows XP Home Edition.

Doug's Windows XP Security Console

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

sage wrote:
> Can someone help?
>
> In XP Pro I can use gpedit.msc by going to command prompt, but not in
> XP Home edition -

Group Policies are not supported on WinXP Home, so gpedit.msc naturally
isn't available.

> so how do I get to administrative tools options in
> Home ed?

The same way one does in WinXP Pro. Via the Control Panel, unless
you've selected the option to show the Administrative Tools folder on
the Start Menu. What does one have to do with the other?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Sage

Distinguished
May 20, 2001

Thanks but no,
Home edition won't run gpedit.msc from command prompt - says prog.
not found and from what I read in searching Google for help, it's not
installed on Home edition the same as in Pro.
Anymore (constructive) suggestions welcomed.

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 12:53:33 -0600, Bruce Chambers
<bchambers@h0tmail.c0m> wrote:

>sage wrote:
>> Can someone help?
>>
>> In XP Pro I can use gpedit.msc by going to command prompt, but not in
>> XP Home edition -
>

> Group Policies are not supported on WinXP Home, so gpedit.msc naturally
>isn't available.
>

>> so how do I get to administrative tools options in
>> Home ed?
>>

> The same way one does in WinXP Pro. Via the Control Panel, unless
>you've selected the option to show the Administrative Tools folder on
>the Start Menu. What does one have to do with the other?

Hi,

Those admin tools are not included in the Home edition, so there is no way
to get to them.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"sage" <h.stratford-tuke@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Thanks but no,
> Home edition won't run gpedit.msc from command prompt - says prog.
> not found and from what I read in searching Google for help, it's not
> installed on Home edition the same as in Pro.
> Anymore (constructive) suggestions welcomed.
>
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 12:53:33 -0600, Bruce Chambers
> <bchambers@h0tmail.c0m> wrote:
>
>>sage wrote:
>>> Can someone help?
>>>
>>> In XP Pro I can use gpedit.msc by going to command prompt, but not in
>>> XP Home edition -
>>

>> Group Policies are not supported on WinXP Home, so gpedit.msc naturally
>>isn't available.
>>

>>> so how do I get to administrative tools options in
>>> Home ed?
>>>

>> The same way one does in WinXP Pro. Via the Control Panel, unless
>>you've selected the option to show the Administrative Tools folder on
>>the Start Menu. What does one have to do with the other?

As all of the other responders have told you, GPEDIT is not supported, nor even installed on XP Home. For per user group policy settings, see my web site, www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities, Windows XP Security Console.

To access the rest of the Administrative tools that are included in XP Home, you may need to adjust your Start Menu properties. Right click the Start Button and select Customize.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.