Which HDD should I install myprograms on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tshort63

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Ok, please don't flame me, it is a legit question. I have been working with computers over 25 years and I just bought a WD 300GB VelociRaptor and am going to do a clean install of W7. I am one of those guys who tinkers with the OS too much and needs to do a clean install every 6-9 months.

So, then my question becomes, what is the best place for my non OS stuff? Should I put it on my other two drives? I am going to stop tweaking as much and am looking for a way to not have to reinstall programs every time - though I think I would have redgedt issues...anyhow?

Any suggestion on where to install programs this time?
Any way to not have to reinstall programs when I clean install a new OS?
Any way to change the default "My Documents" folder? Ok, on that I am just being lazy, I am sure if I google there is away to have the My Documents drive map to another drive....at least there should be a way.

Thanks in advance for the help! :hello:

LOL

right click my documents and select location then change or move depending on your OS....that is lazy!!!

Since documents tend to have no real need for speed most times only one thing is accessed at a time, that is a good use for old drives.

I would keep the program files on the new raptor since it has way faster access times that will help with getting files off the drive as fast as possible.

As for programs, some have registry entries, others do not. it will be hit and miss there. The best thing you can do is make periodic images of your windows drive so if you overtweak it, you can bring it back.

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Since Win7 isn't GOLD, why ask the question? You'll HAVE to redo the drive next year, no matter where you install anything. Put your money down now for a pre-order being delivered in October, then decide what you want to do...

tshort63

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009

Thanks, makes a lot of sense.

tshort63

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009

Good point. I did already order my upgrade but my Vista is flakey now so I need to install something, might as well be the Win7 RC and goof around. If I reninstal vist I will be doing a clean install in October, either way I need a clean install. Plus, I re-install the OS at least once a year, though I am hoping I keep my finger off it this time...

If I have to reinstall in October so be it, it would be nice if they just had a serial number and a SP to upgrade RC to gold...

Thanks though.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
I install my os and all programs on a one drive and all my files on another then direct the my docs folder to the other drive and it's completely transparent to all users.

many programs have registry entries so it's best to just reinstall when you redo windows

win 7 rc has no upgrade path you will have to reformat next june

You should use Acronis True Image and make backup images (put them on the second hard drive).

After I install Windows and tweak it, unstill other programs etc I make an image. I usually do a basic, a more advanced and larger one with all programs and maybe a game.

I can have the basic version reinstalled in 15 minutes with about 30 seconds of work on my part.

tshort63

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Y'all rock. I guess I live under a rock but taking an image makes a lot of sense and will save me a bunch of time and effort. I'll take my first image after the first legit 7 install.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.