is_serp

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2005
Hi,

I got an hp Laserjet 1010 printer two months ago. After like 2 weeks after I got it, smoke started coming out of the output tray, however there was no decrease in quality (after about 6 weeks). I took it back to the hp retailer since it's still under warranty and they told me that it's normal because they have a very hot heating element so that it prints pages quickly. What do you think about this?

Thanks
is-serp

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Any sort of smoke coming out of a device is unsettling. If it is going to do that forever I'd dump it and get a different one. I've never heard of a laser jet putting out smoke, I don't see how that couldn't be bad.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I suppose the smoke could be from some plastic or something (maybe packing tape that wasn't removed completely during installation or something like that) that got onto the fuser. If the smoke continues, have it replaced. If it went away and nothing else is wrong, it is probably fine. The only downside I can see if thats' the case (everything seems fine now) is that the fuser may fail somewhat prematurely if the plastic or whatever it was melted the 'wrong way', but that's just speculation.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

Systemdw

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
They lied to you. A printer can print fast and not be hot. It depend on the toner and the fuser. If the toner have a fusing point of 150 celcius, then the fuser will not go more than that.
If there is smoke coming out, stop the printer immediatly and I suggest to you to ask for a refund or another printer. I know one compagny that burn because of a printer.

RichPLS

Champion
How can a printer not be hot if fusion starts at 150deg celcius? That is hot.
Likely dust or plastic protection not removed as stated above, since print quality is not effected.

But should not smoke, and definately should not continue to.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>