Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

this laptop for gaming?

Last response: in Laptop General Discussion
Share
September 3, 2007 4:59:22 AM

Dell Vostro 1500, 2.0ghz core2 , 15.4in, 8600gt(im preatty sure its ddr2 and not 3...) 2gigs ddr 667. and 2 yr warrenty for 1163. sounds like a deal to me, but im not sure how the ddr2 8600gt vs the ddr3 version will do......i play americas army and Battlefield 2 mostly will i be able to hit lets say 1024x768 high or med on bf2?

More about : laptop gaming

a c 244 D Laptop
September 3, 2007 10:45:23 AM

8600GT is fine for gaming @ medium settings and resolutions like 1024x768 or 1280x1024
a b D Laptop
September 3, 2007 8:14:13 PM

Yup should be good.
Related resources
September 3, 2007 8:31:57 PM

Alright thank you very much i ordered it today. i added another gig for 3 gigs of ram, more ram the better :-D
September 4, 2007 6:39:18 PM

Post back how that rig plays BF2. I am curious as to how it performs for I am looking to buy a Dell laptop within a couple months for BF2142 and CS:Source.
September 11, 2007 1:30:12 PM

well as far as i can tell the 8600M GT won't play games very well, pretty much nothing on a laptop will play games very well...The 8700M GT which is supposedly the latest release is still only equivalent to a 6800GT on a PC and well, lets be honest, that's pathetic... Check out the table on the latest september review of graphics by tom
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/05/the_best_gaming_...
that should clear up where mobile graphics stand in the world of computing
September 12, 2007 2:40:56 AM

Drakennz, I'll have to disagree on your statement that nothing on a laptop will play games. I'm currently running a OC'ed 7950 GTX, (check my sig for other specs) and I hitting about 50 FPS average on FEAR, maxed out at 1680 by 1050. I can also play Oblivion at 1680*1050 with all effects on, draw distances at 75% and still hit a nice average of 45 frames a second. Turning down the resolution to 1280 increases the framerates dramatically, though I've only dipped as low as 25 FPS on Oblivion.
September 12, 2007 1:54:18 PM

Quote:
pretty much nothing on a laptop will play games very well...
Executioner-SR, x7900 extreme 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Duo Santa Rosa mobile CPU, 7950GTX 512 MB.

ODACHI... 2.66 Ghz Quad core with over 10 GHz processing power, dual GPU's, 3 hard drive RAID0 it's probably more powerful than 99% of the desktops out there right now. At 10,000 3D'06 Marks...

I think those can handle a few games, so that should clear up where mobile graphics stand in the world of computing.

September 12, 2007 10:50:17 PM

lets be realistic, those laptops are out of most peoples budgets...try a desktop for the same price! You'll have scientists at your door waiting to run calculations. Even the $2000 (base) KN notebook is only running the 8600GS which is barely better than the 9800PRO I got many years ago.

The laptop listed by the original poster is very worth the price, a faster CPU would give it a better longevity. My 9800PRO was hardly breaking a sweat with my old Athlon 1700+XP.

You should check out Sager, they have a nice model with a 512mb 8600GT, throw on one of the faster CPUs, and you should be grinning wide at about $1400-1500. You could wait a bit for some good models to come out with 8700GT too, but you can always wait...might as well get something cheap and cheerful now and upgrade within a couple of years instead of blowing $3000-4000 and feeling obliged to use the same old technology for 5 years.

no offence KN guy but I dont see what your $2000 model has to offer vs a superior Sager machine for only $1400. Do let us know however if im mistaken about the performance. The parts are the-virtually- same 3rd party pieces, no manufacturing being done by either company besides gimmicky custimizations.

Bottom line: I think ya should go for the Dell
September 13, 2007 2:28:28 AM

theworminator said:
Drakennz, I'll have to disagree on your statement that nothing on a laptop will play games. I'm currently running a OC'ed 7950 GTX, (check my sig for other specs) and I hitting about 50 FPS average on FEAR, maxed out at 1680 by 1050. I can also play Oblivion at 1680*1050 with all effects on, draw distances at 75% and still hit a nice average of 45 frames a second. Turning down the resolution to 1280 increases the framerates dramatically, though I've only dipped as low as 25 FPS on Oblivion.


hence why i wrote "pretty much nothing" lol, i wasn't talking about the extremely high end laptop systems, I was refering to the systems within his price range...
September 13, 2007 6:21:55 PM

Quote:
lets be realistic, those laptops are out of most peoples budgets...
Well the original statement made was about Notebook in general. I guess there is always a way to go back and qualify just about anything that has been said after the fact to feel like you were right.
Quote:
only running the 8600GS which is barely better than the 9800PRO I got many years ago.
That's silly.

Quote:
no offence KN guy but I dont see what your $2000 model has to offer vs a superior Sager machine for only $1400.
A Superior Sager Machine LOL, only if you knew this industry like I, could you find that as funny as I do.
Quote:
no manufacturing being done by either company besides gimmicky custimizations.

ROFL - OMG, I forgot how fun the Tom's Hardware forums were. "No manufacturing being done"???... "Gimmicky Customizations" yea, exactly. OMG, I used to actually reply to non-sense like this.

YOU GO GIRL!




a c 244 D Laptop
September 13, 2007 9:34:55 PM

killernotebooks said:
Quote:
pretty much nothing on a laptop will play games very well...
Executioner-SR, x7900 extreme 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Duo Santa Rosa mobile CPU, 7950GTX 512 MB.

ODACHI... 2.66 Ghz Quad core with over 10 GHz processing power, dual GPU's, 3 hard drive RAID0 it's probably more powerful than 99% of the desktops out there right now. At 10,000 3D'06 Marks...

I think those can handle a few games, so that should clear up where mobile graphics stand in the world of computing.

]http://www.killernotebooks.com/images/logos/micro_insignia.gif



Q6700
DUAL 7950GTX
4GB RAM
3X200GB H.D.D
1920X1200

wow thats an awesome laptop :ouch:  , but with that price, ($5300) , u can get these:

QX6850
2X8800GTX
4GB RAM
a b D Laptop
September 13, 2007 9:37:54 PM

Yeah, but you lose the mobility factor which is what most people want when they shell out that kind of cash for a laptop/brick. That and the shear "Holy Crap" factor of people after you tell them what you are packing and/or what you paid. lol.
September 13, 2007 11:32:07 PM

Again, the point of my post was in response to:
Quote:
pretty much nothing on a laptop will play games very well...
September 14, 2007 12:09:17 AM

yakster said:
I found this list was very helpful when choosing a gaming laptop
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benc...


I wouldn't trust that list. first of all it's primarily based on Bungholiomarks, and second the numbers they gave for the HD2600 seem very low. Mine with only 1GB of memroy and a 5400RPM drive on a T7300 gets 3536 in 3Dmk06, yet they have is as just cresting 3K, and all the other ones seem low too compared to mine.

The biggest problem with benchmark tests is that alot of people collecting them or relying on them don't check to ensure the systems are similar. Benchmarking an MobileHD2600 on a TL-50 and putting it up against a GF8600GS with a T7700 won't give you an accurate look at the performance of the VPU itself, which even on the desktop on the same platform varies greatly.

I'd say that there's no equivalent high end gamer right now (due to the lack of a GF8800/HD2900 style laptop part , which may never change), but I agree with KN, there's alot of laptops out there that are more than good enough for gaming and would destroy most people's desktops.
September 14, 2007 12:20:48 AM

drakennz said:
well as far as i can tell the 8600M GT won't play games very well, pretty much nothing on a laptop will play games very well...


Like KN said, you don't know what you're talking about. :sarcastic: 

Quote:
The 8700M GT which is supposedly the latest release is still only equivalent to a 6800GT on a PC and well, lets be honest, that's pathetic...


Who says it plays like a GF6800GT, you're relying on Cleeve's list?
Second, the GF8700M series is not the top of the list, nor the limit. The GFGO7950GTX is pretty much top of the list, and then put two of those in SLi, and you have something that will handle any game out there. Maybe not as well as the GF8800/HD2900, but well enough to negate your 'nothing on a laptop...' comment. :pfff: 

Quote:
Check out the table on the latest september review of graphics by tom
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/05/the_best_gaming_...
that should clear up where mobile graphics stand in the world of computing


No it shouldn't, and if you knew anything about that list, you'd know he's not that stuck on the mobility section of his chart, it's for a general idea, not to be used as a pulpit. He does a good job, but even he'd admit his focus is desktops, not laptops.
Be sure to read his caveat: "many of the laptop chipset positions on the chart are guesstimates based on their specifications. At worst, I don't think they're more than a tier away from their actual performance but this is something to keep in mind when considering mobile graphic chipsets" :non: 
a b D Laptop
September 14, 2007 1:13:12 AM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
Be sure to read his caveat: "many of the laptop chipset positions on the chart are guesstimates based on their specifications. At worst, I don't think they're more than a tier away from their actual performance but this is something to keep in mind when considering mobile graphic chipsets" :non: 


I was wondering about that since I didn't agree with some of the rankings. I like what you said that the list should be used for a general idea.
September 14, 2007 2:04:09 AM

Well I don't want to start a craze here, as they have been started before on this topic, but the 8800 mobile GPUs will be out at the end of the year. At least that's when nVidia told me I would have mine.

a b D Laptop
September 14, 2007 2:06:37 AM

killernotebooks said:
Well I don't want to start a craze here, as they have been started before on this topic, but the 8800 mobile GPUs will be out at the end of the year. At least that's when nVidia told me I would have mine.

]http://www.killernotebooks.com/images/logos/micro_insignia.gif


Haha, how many times have you and I been down this road man? Too many if you ask me. :D 
September 14, 2007 11:39:53 AM

Yes, but last March is when all these distributors were saying that MAY they would have them. I was like, "Um... what? That doesn't even make sense from anything I have heard, or can think myself from observation." At CES last JANUARY nVidia was saying, "No way, not going to happen." A year later they have some version coming out (allegedly).

From the information that was available at that time, I don't know where they thought these were coming from. When I brought this up at a few forums these guys were like, "No, you're wrong... we'll have them, you won't maybe, but we will." That's funny to me, but it's pretty BS to the consumer. When I pointed this out after the fact that they had said this, they literally denied it, edited or removed their posts! LOL, I don't know man, I could go on and on about the silliness, but I think I can sum it all up.

You have to remember that the guys out talking that hype on the internet are just guys trying to make a buck selling computers, which is fine, but the added twist is... they aren't actually building the computers!They have little practical knowledge past the layman. What is really amazing to me is that with the addition of a web site, there is a phenomena that occurs whereby people that normally would be just another guy suddenly are listened to as if they know something more, and hey..."they must know something, look at that fancy web site!". Fine if the person is committed and actually doing something to expand their knowledge on the subject, but if you're just taking orders and forwarding them through to Sager, I mean, what is your real knowledge level?

It isn't just mis-information either. You know I have had that Quad core notebook for a month. It's sold, they are in the field etc. All these other guys are saying, "Oh yea we have them." In reality they don't because in reality they won't have the revised boards for 3 weeks, yet that doesn't stop them from selling and passing the buck along when you call and ask, "Where's my system?". I'm sure you can attest to how that works.

It all comes down to this, "You can go to Orange County Choppers and have your bike custom built, or you can go and buy a Honda Davidson... a bike that looks somewhat like the other because they are trying to imitate (on a mass scale) what actually IS really cool, but at the end of the day is pretty generic."

So now this has come full-circle to the 8800's. My information is straight from my source at nVidia, not just some pipe dream that is being cooked up out of nowhere to make it look like something it isn't.

a b D Laptop
September 14, 2007 11:52:58 AM

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't questioning your info. You said at guru that you spoke with your NVidia rep and that's good enough for me. I just meant how many times have you and I been involved in this type of conversation either here or at guru. I'm actually kinda interested in the 8800m.
September 14, 2007 12:20:42 PM

No, I know that.
You know how I like to go on and on about everything though.
a b D Laptop
September 14, 2007 3:03:31 PM

You, rant? On skeptics and Windows Vista and release dates? No way........ :sarcastic:  j/k
September 14, 2007 4:05:19 PM

Windows VISTA... what a piece of crap!
Best thing that ever happened to Apple and Linux.
September 15, 2007 11:56:37 AM

People love to shop off "spec's" right?
What is awesome though, consumers still haven't caught on that the guys who are selling you this stuff KNOW THAT!!

They figured out that the average shopper buys on comparison, so the easiest way to sell is to they make numbers look the same, and whenever possible, better. It's easy for them to do.

Take for instance when you select SLI, you have 2 GPU's, each one has 512 MB of RAM so you have 1 Gig of video RAM right? So put it on our list, and tell the consumer that! Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. So you are either
A. Buying a $5,000 computer from someone who doesn't understand SLI.
B. Buying a $5,000 computer from someone who does know, but is trying to confuse or deceive you. So if something is in it for them, they lie... but what happens when something ISN'T in it for them, what happens when there are problems? That's the whole point, that's what the numbers don't tell you.

The consumer comes along and just takes one number in one column, matches it up with another number in another column. looks for the lowest price and PRESTO, You're done!

Congratulations, you have just made the major decision for what you are going to use for the next 5 years based on two numbers matching!?! :pt1cable: 

So with that thinking, if a Ford Mustang and a Ferrari Testarossa's spec's look the same, they are the same car are they not?


a c 244 D Laptop
September 15, 2007 12:59:59 PM

Correction : 2x512 GPU wont make 1GB V-RAM ,ask that anywhere ,

many think that getting 2x8800gts 320 will give them 640mb of memory , and they are wrong
September 15, 2007 1:42:17 PM

Quote:
Correction : 2x512 GPU wont make 1GB V-RAM ,ask that anywhere

Yea exactly

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I SAID!
Quote:
Take for instance when you select SLI, you have 2 GPU's, each one has 512 MB of RAM so you have 1 Gig of video RAM right? So put it on our list, and tell the consumer that! Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. So you are either
A. Buying a $5,000 computer from someone who doesn't understand SLI.
B. Buying a $5,000 computer from someone who does know, but is trying to confuse or deceive you. So if something is in it for them, they lie... but what happens when something ISN'T in it for them, what happens when there are problems? That's the whole point, that's what the numbers don't tell you.
The English language is more than letters and words which is what makes it so complex. There is innuendo, sarcasm, slag, 3'rd person narrative, plays on words, and parts of our pop culture inter dispersed within it which makes it sometimes difficult to understand if you're not from America.

Suffice it to say THAT WAS MY WHOLE POINT!!!

So if I say something like, "Don't you have a centrifuge to tend to?" there is probably going to be about 1/2 the people that don't even get what I am talking about, and that is the beauty of the English language, that, and it isn't just a bunch of squiggles.
a c 244 D Laptop
September 15, 2007 2:20:45 PM

ok mate , calm down a bit , cheers :D  :) 
September 15, 2007 2:31:59 PM

It just gets frustrating after a while. You can't imagine how many times I get misquoted and waste a ton of time in post after post of back and forth non-sense.

Sorry about all the bold CAPS.
September 15, 2007 8:03:30 PM

Maziar said:
here is a notebook which has same specs :

http://web.eurocom.com/EC/ec_model_config1(1,188,0)



That is actually a pretty good price for the specs for 3k (512mb 7950 GTX, 17 inch screen, 2gb ram, 100gb 7200 rpm HD).

What do you guys think about eurocom.com?
September 16, 2007 2:19:38 AM

200672,19,60211 said:
Well I don't want to start a craze here, as they have been started before on this topic, but the 8800 mobile GPUs will be out at the end of the year. At least that's when nVidia told me I would have mine.
said:


I understand that's what nV may have told you, but I have a feeling they're talking about something that will be called a GF8800M, not something that is as powerful as even a GTS in mobile form.

I think the GF8800M will likely resemble more closely the expected desktop GF8700 (G92) than any G80 derivative. It'll definitely be an improvement, but not 96-128 SPUs with a greater than 256bit memory bus.

However, considering the proven desire for GFGO7900s in SLi I have n doubt they're trying to reach some similar goal.

I suspect the GF8800M perofrmance will be just under the GF8800GTS-320 which should be good enough for most people waiting to upgrade their SLied GFGO7s

Not questioning you, just questioning the possability of a TRUE G80 in a lpatop.
a b D Laptop
September 16, 2007 4:39:57 AM

^Believe me, we've questioned it many a time. Any time the subject comes up, K|N is always careful to warn people that the likely hood of these cards being the absolute powerhouses the desktop versions were is very slim. I for one understand that and agree with that opinion.
September 16, 2007 2:56:16 PM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
Like KN said, you don't know what you're talking about. :sarcastic: 

Quote:
The 8700M GT which is supposedly the latest release is still only equivalent to a 6800GT on a PC and well, lets be honest, that's pathetic...


Who says it plays like a GF6800GT, you're relying on Cleeve's list?
Second, the GF8700M series is not the top of the list, nor the limit. The GFGO7950GTX is pretty much top of the list, and then put two of those in SLi, and you have something that will handle any game out there. Maybe not as well as the GF8800/HD2900, but well enough to negate your 'nothing on a laptop...' comment. :pfff: 

Quote:
Check out the table on the latest september review of graphics by tom
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/05/the_best_gaming_...
that should clear up where mobile graphics stand in the world of computing


No it shouldn't, and if you knew anything about that list, you'd know he's not that stuck on the mobility section of his chart, it's for a general idea, not to be used as a pulpit. He does a good job, but even he'd admit his focus is desktops, not laptops.
Be sure to read his caveat: "many of the laptop chipset positions on the chart are guesstimates based on their specifications. At worst, I don't think they're more than a tier away from their actual performance but this is something to keep in mind when considering mobile graphic chipsets" :non: 


dude do you guys not read the post? when did i say the 8700M is the top of the line? I said it's the newest release...

secondly I know there are better mobile gpu's out there, they were even on the list I linked in my original message...

I know all you tech's love to flex your muscle, but if you read my original post in reply to the THREAD...then you'll see it made sense...For the specs that guy was looking at, the 8600M GT would not play BF2 that well, most things in his price range for mobile gaming wouldn't be great...

As for tom's list, I did read the bit where he said it SHOULDN'T BE OFF BY MORE THAN A TIER...which means that it's still a pretty good list to use...we are on the TH forums afterall :sarcastic: 
September 16, 2007 6:03:35 PM

drakennz said:
dude do you guys not read the post? when did i say the 8700M is the top of the line? I said it's the newest release...


After your ignorant "well as far as i can tell the 8600M GT won't play games very well, pretty much nothing on a laptop will play games very well..." you followed that with referencing the GF8700MGT, so who knows what you're thinking? Based on that statement alone it obvious you don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:
I know all you tech's love to flex your muscle,


Nice try, it has nothing to do with flexing muscle, I don't own an SLi rig, but I know they're out there, I've used them, and I wouldn't make an ignorant statement like yours above. :pfff:  And you still ignore the whole point of the thread which is to play specific titles at specific settings. Obviously you have envy issues if your answer to being shown options that will play games very well, contrary to your statement, is to return with that kind of response. :sarcastic: 

Quote:
but if you read my original post in reply to the THREAD...then you'll see it made sense...For the specs that guy was looking at, the 8600M GT would not play BF2 that well, most things in his price range for mobile gaming wouldn't be great...


Well first of all, where's your supporting information for that statement? And that's not what people are replying to, something like that may or may not be playable, although with the evidence you've provided sofar and your other statements, why should anyone take your post as anything more than ignorance?
As for playing BF2, it plays well enough on my laptop with similar specs (plain HD2600 instead of GF8600MGT but same memory and CPU) and even more importantly when I did play BF2 on a refular basis, it played well enough for me on my ATi MRX700 w/ a PentiumM 1.73ghz with 2GB to allow me to consistently stay in the top tier (often lead) at LAN parties and online. So the GF8600MGT will be more than fine, sure it won't be stellar like a GF8800Ultra on a water cooled desktop, but then again the OP asked for 1024x768 on med or high, so it looks like you're the one trying to flex the tech muscle, he's not expecting the same settings as X1950XTs, HD2900s and GF8800s or multi-VPU rigs with the res and AA/AF cranked. Maybe it's YOU who should read people's posts before commenting. :heink: 

Quote:
As for tom's list, I did read the bit where he said it SHOULDN'T BE OFF BY MORE THAN A TIER...which means that it's still a pretty good list to use...we are on the TH forums afterall


Right... :sarcastic:  , which is why when you go to the bank and their prospectus says 'past performance isn't a guarantee of future returns' you should point to that AS a guarantee of future returns and then complain about it. :pt1cable:  He doesn't even say "shouldn't be off", I already posted the quote, obviously you have difficulty reading and cut/pasting it. It says "At worst, I don't think they're more than a tier away from their actual performance but this is something to keep in mind when considering mobile graphic chipsets" that's not a ringing endorsement of someone's own work, that's a caveat, because they know it's a rough estimate, especialy in a field where not all mobile chips are the same, and some have speeds/specs better and worse than some of their desktop counterparts. Cleeve added those to give people a very rough idea (like how Bungholiomarks do) but some of them are way off for some games, like BF2, Oblivion, etc. where the GF8 and HD2K series do very well compared to their predecessors. Using his chart to answer the OP's question would be like me whipping out 3Dmark scores as if they were a good guide to game performance. :non: 

So unless you can post some well supported info showing the GF8600MGT not being able to play the games the OP list at the setting he asked about, then really you're just selling porky pies and no one is buying. :pfff: 
September 17, 2007 5:56:24 PM

tGGA: I agree the 8800 mobile is going to be nothing like the 8800 desktop.
I also agree with your assessment of what it is likely to compare to in performance.

Basically it comes down to this, nVidia wants to shut everyone up on asking, begging, pleading and speculation on the 8800's in notebooks so they are giving them what they want IN NAME ALONE.
As I have been trying to tell people all along, the 8800 card they are thinking of is an impossibility in a notebook chassis.

Anyone that HAS an 8800 in their desktop can attest to the level of heat and power that it requires. Which is exactly why I sold mine... it was just too freaking hot.

a c 244 D Laptop
September 17, 2007 7:01:56 PM

well mine is hotter than my 7900gtx but its quiet
!