Bought a Condo

So I've finally grown up and bought a Condo. Well, the details haven't
been all arranged yet but all in all it was easier than I expected. For
one thing, there are a couple of financial matters I thought might
interfere but they didn't.

Here it is:
http://www.virtualproperties.ca/r3076/l/photogallery.htm

Of course this is not our furniture. The previous owners cleaned it up a
lot too, judging from all the boxes stacked up in the closets :)

The great thing about this is that we'll end up paying less per month for
a much better place than we are renting! Hell, it's got a washer and dryer
you don't need to stick stuff in (coins or cards) to get working!

--
Cape Dweller Dragon

On Thu, 12 May 2005 03:20:01 -0400, Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net>
wrote:

>So I've finally grown up and bought a Condo. Well, the details haven't
>been all arranged yet but all in all it was easier than I expected. For
>one thing, there are a couple of financial matters I thought might
>interfere but they didn't.
>
>Here it is:
>http://www.virtualproperties.ca/r3076/l/photogallery.htm
>
>Of course this is not our furniture. The previous owners cleaned it up a
>lot too, judging from all the boxes stacked up in the closets :)
>
>The great thing about this is that we'll end up paying less per month for
>a much better place than we are renting! Hell, it's got a washer and dryer
>you don't need to stick stuff in (coins or cards) to get working!

How big is the floor plan? Many neighbors? What floor is it on? Have
fun moving in and decorating it. :)

I suggest getting insurance immediately, if you haven't already as part of
the purchase agreement.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Quoth Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net>:
> The great thing about this is that we'll end up paying less per month for
> a much better place than we are renting! Hell, it's got a washer and dryer
> you don't need to stick stuff in (coins or cards) to get working!

More for less has to be good. :) Best of luck with moving day!
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

Samurai wrote:

> More for less has to be good. :) Best of luck with moving day!

We've opted for a closing day 2 weeks before our lease is up here, so we
have plenty of time to port our stuff over.

Of course if you want to take a vacation and visit London, Ontario, you're
always welcome to help with the move :)

--
Cape Dweller Dragon

Polychromic wrote:

Wow, so many questions...

> How big is the floor plan?

According to my rough calculations it's about 650 square feet plus storage
(and the bathroom), which is somewhat larger than we have now. There's a
lot more storage, though.

> Many neighbors?

It looks like there are 10 units per floor, and 3 floors so it's not bad
at all. Our unit looks out over a patch of grass on a church property so
it should be pretty quiet.

> What floor is it on?

2nd floor, no elevator which is a few more stairs than we have now,
although the hallways are dark concrete so they're a little dismal. Not
that we'll be spending a lot of time in the hallways anyway!

> Have fun moving in and decorating it. :)

Yeah, we have to decide where to put the computers! I think since we use
the monitor to watch movies we'll probably arrange it so that we can
sit/lie on the couch and see both the computer monitor and the TV.

Actually if we were to get a video capture card there'd be no real reason
to have a TV, assuming the card can handle VHF/UHF signals.

> I suggest getting insurance immediately, if you haven't already as part of
> the purchase agreement.

There were 3 conditions: financing, insurance and condo documentation
review. Well, the last two can be waived but that would be foolish (unless
I can't find reasonable insurance soon enough). Hmm, better get on that!

--
Cape Dweller Dragon

Cape Dweller wrote:
> So I've finally grown up and bought a Condo. Well, the details haven't
> been all arranged yet but all in all it was easier than I expected. For
> one thing, there are a couple of financial matters I thought might
> interfere but they didn't.
>
> Here it is:
> http://www.virtualproperties.ca/r3076/l/photogallery.htm
>
> Of course this is not our furniture. The previous owners cleaned it up a
> lot too, judging from all the boxes stacked up in the closets :)
>
> The great thing about this is that we'll end up paying less per month for
> a much better place than we are renting! Hell, it's got a washer and dryer
> you don't need to stick stuff in (coins or cards) to get working!

Congratulations. It IS a big step.

pibbur, who bought his house 15 years ago.

pibbur wrote:

> Congratulations. It IS a big step.
>
> pibbur, who bought his house 15 years ago.

Well, I buying a Condo isn't as big a step as buying a house, especially
since any houses in our price range would require extensive work to clean
them up. If we didn't get a condo we'd likely have gotten a townhouse
instead, there are a few nice ones here and there as well.

--
Cape Dweller Dragon

Cape Dweller wrote:
> pibbur wrote:
>

>>Congratulations. It IS a big step.
>>
>>pibbur, who bought his house 15 years ago.
>

> Well, I buying a Condo isn't as big a step as buying a house, especially
> since any houses in our price range would require extensive work to clean
> them up. If we didn't get a condo we'd likely have gotten a townhouse
> instead, there are a few nice ones here and there as well.

I live (as told in another mail) on the outskirts of Bergen, Norway. The
community is called Arna. It's about 20 miles driving from here to the
centre of the Bergen - there's a mountain between us, and we have to
drive around it. Thus Arna is perceived as being very far away, and
therefore house prices are easily 200,000-300,000 NOK ($35,000-$50,000)
lower than closer to the city.

But our little secret is that there is a railway tunnel through the
mountain. Therefore we spend far less time getting to work than citizens
thinking they're closer to the city than we are.

pibbur
(singing like a (very long haired) sheep) "Take me down to the Arna
community, where the grass is green and the girls are ..uh, norwegian."

Words to the wise, Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net> wrote:

>Here it is:
>http://www.virtualproperties.ca/r3076/l/photogallery.htm

Congrats, this does look spacey and bright. Very good. Hope its not
next to a motorway or something like that.

Anyways, welcome in the realm of the "owners" :)

Claus Dragon wrote:

> Congrats, this does look spacey and bright. Very good. Hope its not next
> to a motorway or something like that.

There is a fairly major street running across the front, but it's mostly
an access road for subdivisions in the area so it shouldn't be too bad.
One of the townhouses we were looking at was a few hundred meters from a
railway! (Actually it was close to two tracks :
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=1600+CULVER+DR+london,+on )

> Anyways, welcome in the realm of the "owners" :)

Hey, I've owned lots of stuff! Just never real estate. Is it really so
different?

--
Cape Dweller Dragon

On Thu, 12 May 2005 15:20:23 -0400, Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net>
wrote:

>Claus Dragon wrote:
>
>> Congrats, this does look spacey and bright. Very good. Hope its not next
>> to a motorway or something like that.
>
>There is a fairly major street running across the front, but it's mostly
>an access road for subdivisions in the area so it shouldn't be too bad.
>One of the townhouses we were looking at was a few hundred meters from a
>railway! (Actually it was close to two tracks :
>http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=1600+CULVER+DR+london,+on )
>
>> Anyways, welcome in the realm of the "owners" :)
>
>Hey, I've owned lots of stuff! Just never real estate. Is it really so
>different?
Snicker.:) l here at least you don't have to pay property tax on
regular stuff, just real estate. And cars. And dogs.And
outbuildings.Not on boats, but on their trailers.
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
-Alfred E. Neumann

pibbur wrote:

> I live (as told in another mail) on the outskirts of Bergen, Norway. The
> community is called Arna. It's about 20 miles driving from here to the
> centre of the Bergen - there's a mountain between us, and we have to drive
> around it.

That sounds nice... I wish there were mountains around here.

Well, there is the Hamilton Mountain in Hamilton (aka the Niagara
Escarpment elsewhere).

> Thus Arna is perceived as being very far away, and therefore
> house prices are easily 200,000-300,000 NOK ($35,000-$50,000) lower than
> closer to the city.

Would you call this a "bedroom community" or something similar?

> But our little secret is that there is a railway tunnel through the
> mountain. Therefore we spend far less time getting to work than citizens
> thinking they're closer to the city than we are.

Oops, you just let out the secret. Prepare to be overrun with Bergenites!

--
Cape Dweller Dragon

Optician Dragon wrote:

> Snicker.:) l here at least you don't have to pay property tax on regular
> stuff, just real estate. And cars. And dogs.And outbuildings.Not on boats,
> but on their trailers. -=UDIC=-

Well I can understand why there are property taxes - after all,
technically we're just leasing the land from the government. As for cars,
how else will they pay for law enforcement, highway maintenance,
environmental cleanup, etc (besides tax on gas)? Dogs, well I don't like
dogs so it's ok to tax them. Boats don't use highways and there aren't too
many boats anyway so leave them alone. Trailers - I have no comment.

--
Cape Dweller Dragon

"pibbur" <oopsNO512@begen.onlineCA.PSno> wrote in message
> Cape Dweller wrote:
>> pibbur wrote:
>>

>>>Congratulations. It IS a big step.
>>>
>>>pibbur, who bought his house 15 years ago.
>>

>> Well, I buying a Condo isn't as big a step as buying a house, especially
>> since any houses in our price range would require extensive work to clean
>> them up. If we didn't get a condo we'd likely have gotten a townhouse
>> instead, there are a few nice ones here and there as well.
>>
> I live (as told in another mail) on the outskirts of Bergen, Norway. The
> community is called Arna. It's about 20 miles driving from here to the
> centre of the Bergen - there's a mountain between us, and we have to drive
> around it.
I'd say that if you live close to a place called Bergen, there *has* to be
mountains around ya.
But, that's what I say, and people don't listen to me.

LVD

Cape Dweller wrote:
> pibbur wrote:
>

>>I live (as told in another mail) on the outskirts of Bergen, Norway. The
>>community is called Arna. It's about 20 miles driving from here to the
>>centre of the Bergen - there's a mountain between us, and we have to drive
>>around it.
>

> That sounds nice... I wish there were mountains around here.

It's not that big, around 700 meters above sea level, but still...

I can't imagine living at any place where I couldn't see mountains, and
the sea.

> Well, there is the Hamilton Mountain in Hamilton (aka the Niagara
> Escarpment elsewhere).
>

>>Thus Arna is perceived as being very far away, and therefore
>>house prices are easily 200,000-300,000 NOK ($35,000-$50,000) lower than
>>closer to the city.
>

> Would you call this a "bedroom community" or something similar?

It's not as densely populated as your typical bedroom communities.

>>But our little secret is that there is a railway tunnel through the
>>mountain. Therefore we spend far less time getting to work than citizens
>>thinking they're closer to the city than we are.
>

> Oops, you just let out the secret. Prepare to be overrun with Bergenites!

Yes. Therefore I'm increasing my stocks of brimstone, so I can give them
a warm welcome.

pibbur

On Fri, 13 May 2005 08:08:48 GMT, pibbur <oopsNO512@begen.onlineCA.PSno>
wrote:

>I can't imagine living at any place where I couldn't see mountains, and
>the sea.

Mountains? What a strange and exotic language you speak!

--

Polychromic wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2005 08:08:48 GMT, pibbur <oopsNO512@begen.onlineCA.PSno>
> wrote:
>

>>I can't imagine living at any place where I couldn't see mountains, and
>>the sea.
>

> Mountains? What a strange and exotic language you speak!

You want to spell it Montains? 8D

pibbur

On Fri, 13 May 2005 10:54:51 GMT, pibbur <oopsNO512@begen.onlineCA.PSno>
wrote:

>Polychromic wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 May 2005 08:08:48 GMT, pibbur <oopsNO512@begen.onlineCA.PSno>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>I can't imagine living at any place where I couldn't see mountains, and
>>>the sea.
>>

>> Mountains? What a strange and exotic language you speak!
>>
>You want to spell it Montains? 8D

I still have no point of reference. Here we have flat land. I always
thought that anything else was a fairy tale!

--

On Fri, 13 May 2005 03:47:50 -0400, Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net>
wrote:

>Optician Dragon wrote:
>
>> Snicker.:) l here at least you don't have to pay property tax on regular
>> stuff, just real estate. And cars. And dogs.And outbuildings.Not on boats,
>> but on their trailers. -=UDIC=-
>
>Well I can understand why there are property taxes - after all,
>technically we're just leasing the land from the government. As for cars,
>how else will they pay for law enforcement, highway maintenance,
>environmental cleanup, etc (besides tax on gas)? Dogs, well I don't like
>dogs so it's ok to tax them. Boats don't use highways and there aren't too
>many boats anyway so leave them alone. Trailers - I have no comment.
Heh, you can drive 5 miles from my house and be in Ohio, where they
tax the boat, not the trailer. :)
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
-Alfred E. Neumann

On Fri, 13 May 2005 08:08:48 GMT, pibbur
<oopsNO512@begen.onlineCA.PSno> wrote:

>Cape Dweller wrote:
>> pibbur wrote:
>>

>>>I live (as told in another mail) on the outskirts of Bergen, Norway. The
>>>community is called Arna. It's about 20 miles driving from here to the
>>>centre of the Bergen - there's a mountain between us, and we have to drive
>>>around it.
>>

>> That sounds nice... I wish there were mountains around here.
>
>It's not that big, around 700 meters above sea level, but still...
>
>I can't imagine living at any place where I couldn't see mountains, and
>the sea.

Where I live is around that elevation, and I'm surrounded by hills and
mountains. Can't see the sea though. I can't imagine living anywhere
where the horizon is farther than two miles. I visited Midland, Texas
a long time ago and was stunned to watch entire storm systems go by a
long distance away. Here, you see a storm, you're in the midst of it.

-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
-Alfred E. Neumann

On Fri, 13 May 2005 07:49:21 -0400, "Lord Vashnu Dragon"
<lordv@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>"pibbur" <oopsNO512@begen.onlineCA.PSno> wrote in message
>> Cape Dweller wrote:

>>> Well, I buying a Condo isn't as big a step as buying a house, especially
>>> since any houses in our price range would require extensive work to clean
>>> them up. If we didn't get a condo we'd likely have gotten a townhouse
>>> instead, there are a few nice ones here and there as well.
>>>
>> I live (as told in another mail) on the outskirts of Bergen, Norway. The
>> community is called Arna. It's about 20 miles driving from here to the
>> centre of the Bergen - there's a mountain between us, and we have to drive
>> around it.
>I'd say that if you live close to a place called Bergen, there *has* to be
>mountains around ya.
>But, that's what I say, and people don't listen to me.
>
>LVD

Maybe he lives near Candace Bergen?

"Optician Dragon" <DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 May 2005 07:49:21 -0400, "Lord Vashnu Dragon"
> <lordv@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>

>>"pibbur" <oopsNO512@begen.onlineCA.PSno> wrote in message

>>> I live (as told in another mail) on the outskirts of Bergen, Norway. The
>>> community is called Arna. It's about 20 miles driving from here to the
>>> centre of the Bergen - there's a mountain between us, and we have to
>>> drive
>>> around it.
>>I'd say that if you live close to a place called Bergen, there *has* to be
>>mountains around ya.
>>But, that's what I say, and people don't listen to me.
>>
>>LVD
>>
> Maybe he lives near Candace Bergen?
Ooh, the horror - the horror!! Makes the Neverland Ranch seem like a sunday
picnic.

But, for those who don't speak norwegian and/or swedish - Bergen means "The
Mountains" in swedish. Prolly in norwegian too. And if this has been stated
before in this thread, I apologize. I'm still trying to catch up. You people
write too much!

LVD

Lord Vashnu Dragon wrote:
> "Optician Dragon" <DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote in message
>
>>On Fri, 13 May 2005 07:49:21 -0400, "Lord Vashnu Dragon"
>><lordv@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>

>>>"pibbur" <oopsNO512@begen.onlineCA.PSno> wrote in message

>>>I'd say that if you live close to a place called Bergen, there *has* to be
>>>mountains around ya.
>>>But, that's what I say, and people don't listen to me.
>>>
>>>LVD
>>>

>>Maybe he lives near Candace Bergen?
>
> Ooh, the horror - the horror!! Makes the Neverland Ranch seem like a sunday
> picnic.
>
> But, for those who don't speak norwegian and/or swedish - Bergen means "The
> Mountains" in swedish. Prolly in norwegian too. And if this has been stated
> before in this thread, I apologize. I'm still trying to catch up. You people
> write too much!

We seldom use the phrase "berg" for mountains nowadays, we prefer the
term 'fjell'. But the name Bergen comes from old norwegian *Bjorgvin",
which means the plains (vin) between the mountains (bjorg). Bergen is
surrounded by 7 mountains.

pibbur