ddr400 & xp 2600+

aha27

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
i have an asus a7n8x and i want to buy an athlon xp 2600+ (2x166) and 2x256mb ddr400 ram (to get the advantage of twinchannel/dualchannel). now i am concerned that either the ram is accessed with 166mhz only (so i could also buy ddr333 ram) or (if there are two frequencies) the 166 of the cpu are conflicting with the 200 of the ram. can someone please clear this up?

and i have another question: is there a significant speed difference between some noname cl3 ram and some geil/corsair/whatever superhyper low-level x-x-x-x ram when i do not want to overclock?

best regards,

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can run DDR400 at DDR333 speed, which is recommended for your processor. You'll then have pleanty of breathing room for upgrades or overclocking.

You may want to consider the 2500+, which can usually be overclocked to 3200+ speed simply by raising the bus to 200MHz, and sometimes a slight increase in vCore for added stability.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>