problems with DNS lookup

Well, that's where I think the problem is.

A couple of months ago it all started: After I've been surfing (the
internet) for a while, the browser stops with the message "Looking up
.....", followed after a while by the message "... could not be found".
At this time my newsreader gets the same problem, and ping also fails.

If I keep on trying, it starts working again after a couple of minutes.
Closing down the ISDN connection or, now that I've got broadband
connection, renewing the IP configuration always helps.

What I've discovered so far:

1. Switching from FireFox back to IExplorer doesn't help.
2. Uninstalling Firefox and reinstalling the latest version, without any
extentions doesn't help.
3. Disabling the AV monitor (Avast) doesn't help.
4. Disabling the firewall (ZoneAlarm) doesn't help (I've only tried that
when the problem is already manifest, though)
5. Switching ISP and connection method didn't help.

What I haven't tried:
6. Asking the dragons.

So, any suggestions?

Now for the boring details:
P4 2.0 GHz, 1 Gb RAM.
WinXP Professional SP1.
I wear glasses.
I usually dress in black.
I brush my teeth regularly.

pibbur

"pibbur" <oopsNO512@begen.onlineCA.PSno> wrote in message
> Well, that's where I think the problem is.
>
> A couple of months ago it all started: After I've been surfing (the
> internet) for a while, the browser stops with the message "Looking up
> ....", followed after a while by the message "... could not be found". At
> this time my newsreader gets the same problem, and ping also fails.
>
> If I keep on trying, it starts working again after a couple of minutes.
> Closing down the ISDN connection or, now that I've got broadband
> connection, renewing the IP configuration always helps.
>
> What I've discovered so far:
>
> 1. Switching from FireFox back to IExplorer doesn't help.
> 2. Uninstalling Firefox and reinstalling the latest version, without any
> extentions doesn't help.
> 3. Disabling the AV monitor (Avast) doesn't help.
> 4. Disabling the firewall (ZoneAlarm) doesn't help (I've only tried that
> when the problem is already manifest, though)
> 5. Switching ISP and connection method didn't help.
>
> What I haven't tried:
> 6. Asking the dragons.
>
> So, any suggestions?
>
> Now for the boring details:
> P4 2.0 GHz, 1 Gb RAM.
> WinXP Professional SP1.
> I wear glasses.
> I usually dress in black.
> I brush my teeth regularly.
>
> pibbur
Ray-Bans?
Colgate?

"pibbur" <oopsNO512@begen.onlineCA.PSno> wrote in message
> Well, that's where I think the problem is.
>
> A couple of months ago it all started: After I've been surfing (the
> internet) for a while, the browser stops with the message "Looking up
> ....", followed after a while by the message "... could not be found". At
> this time my newsreader gets the same problem, and ping also fails.
>
> If I keep on trying, it starts working again after a couple of minutes.
> Closing down the ISDN connection or, now that I've got broadband
> connection, renewing the IP configuration always helps.
>
> What I've discovered so far:
>
> 1. Switching from FireFox back to IExplorer doesn't help.
> 2. Uninstalling Firefox and reinstalling the latest version, without any
> extentions doesn't help.
> 3. Disabling the AV monitor (Avast) doesn't help.
> 4. Disabling the firewall (ZoneAlarm) doesn't help (I've only tried that
> when the problem is already manifest, though)
> 5. Switching ISP and connection method didn't help.
>
> What I haven't tried:
> 6. Asking the dragons.
>
> So, any suggestions?
>
> Now for the boring details:
> P4 2.0 GHz, 1 Gb RAM.
> WinXP Professional SP1.
> I wear glasses.
> I usually dress in black.
> I brush my teeth regularly.
>
> pibbur
How odd. How bout installing SP2, just to see if there's a diff?

LVD

pibbur wrote:

> So, any suggestions?

Have you tried changing cables (likely the phone but maybe ethernet)? It
sounds to me like line noise is severing your connection causing the
connection to have to be reestablished. Do you use a router? If so, try
bypassing that too. Maybe get a firmware update for it.

--
Cape Dweller Dragon

On Thu, 12 May 2005 16:49:12 GMT, pibbur <oopsNO512@begen.onlineCA.PSno>
wrote:

>Well, that's where I think the problem is.
>
>A couple of months ago it all started: After I've been surfing (the
>internet) for a while, the browser stops with the message "Looking up
>....", followed after a while by the message "... could not be found".
>At this time my newsreader gets the same problem, and ping also fails.
>
>If I keep on trying, it starts working again after a couple of minutes.
>Closing down the ISDN connection or,

The last time I dealt with ISDN was 1988. Cable and DSL seem to rule now.

> now that I've got broadband
>connection, renewing the IP configuration always helps.
>
>What I've discovered so far:
>
>1. Switching from FireFox back to IExplorer doesn't help.
>2. Uninstalling Firefox and reinstalling the latest version, without any
>extentions doesn't help.
>3. Disabling the AV monitor (Avast) doesn't help.
>4. Disabling the firewall (ZoneAlarm) doesn't help (I've only tried that
>when the problem is already manifest, though)
>5. Switching ISP and connection method didn't help.
>
>What I haven't tried:
>6. Asking the dragons.
>
>So, any suggestions?
>
>Now for the boring details:
>P4 2.0 GHz, 1 Gb RAM.
>WinXP Professional SP1.
>I wear glasses.
>I usually dress in black.
>I brush my teeth regularly.

Does the Event Viewer show any errors or warnings?

When you first boot up your computer, does it always work online okay?
In other words, does the problem happen only after you've been using the
computer for a while? If so, I would guess the NIC is either unseated or
has a cracked trace and needs replacing.

Have you checked your HOSTS file for abnormalities? Checked for spyware?

When the problem happens what does typing nslookup in a command prompt
window reveal? Can you ping a site by its IP address [207.46.250.119] but
not by its name [microsoft.com]?

If you fully uninstall ZoneAlarm, does the problem still happen?
--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Lord Vashnu Dragon wrote:
> "pibbur" <oopsNO512@begen.onlineCA.PSno> wrote in message
>
>>What I haven't tried: