Yamaha DVD-S 657: DVD-Audio, SACD

Last response: in Home Audio
April 20, 2005 3:58:01 AM

One more low-cost universal player. Yamaha has a new model, the Yamaha
DVD-S 657, with DVD-Audio and SACD compatibility (around 180 euros
online). The equivalent american model seems to not exist yet.

Compared with the Pioneer DV-575 it is slightly more expensive,
but it should be easier to unlock to play other regions DVDs
(assuming it works like the other Yamahas).

I have not yet found its manual, so I am not sure if it has
bass management, and distance compensation like the Pioneer.

It lacks DVI or HDMI output, unlike the Samsungs.

http://yamaha-hifi.de/products.php?lang=e&idprod=1225

BTW, there are also new AV receivers: RX-V357, RX-V457, RX-V557,
RX-V657, RX-V757. The differences compared with the older models
seem few.

--
http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/

..pt is Portugal| `Whom the gods love die young'-Menander (342-292 BC)
Europe | Villeneuve 50-82, Toivonen 56-86, Senna 60-94
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 6:27:15 AM

Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro <rps@koala.mat.uc.pt> wrote:
> One more low-cost universal player. Yamaha has a new model, the Yamaha
> DVD-S 657, with DVD-Audio and SACD compatibility (around 180 euros
> online). The equivalent american model seems to not exist yet.

I've read online in the alst few days taht teh S2500 has become available
in Europe --- not sure if you're talking about the same model.

> Compared with the Pioneer DV-575 it is slightly more expensive, > but it
should be easier to unlock to play other regions DVDs > (assuming it works
like the other Yamahas).

> I have not yet found its manual, so I am not sure if it has
> bass management, and distance compensation like the Pioneer.

> It lacks DVI or HDMI output, unlike the Samsungs.

THe S2500 supposedly features ilink, though. At US $700 (the original
announced MSRP, though apparentlyu the European version comes it at more
like $800) that would make it the least expensive ilink-compatible
universal player out there.

--

-S
It's not my business to do intelligent work. -- D. Rumsfeld, testifying

Steven Sullivan <ssully@panix.com> wrote:
> Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro <rps@koala.mat.uc.pt> wrote:
> > One more low-cost universal player. Yamaha has a new model, the Yamaha
> > DVD-S 657, with DVD-Audio and SACD compatibility (around 180 euros
> > online). The equivalent american model seems to not exist yet.

> I've read online in the [last few days that the] S2500 has become available
> in Europe --- not sure if you're talking about the same model.

No. The 2500 costs 700 euros (at www.technikdirekt.de), so it is not in
the same range as the DVD-S 657.

http://www.yamaha-online.de/productstech.php?idprod=118...

http://www.hifi-edition.de/de/pro.php?id=2388

> > It lacks DVI or HDMI output, unlike the Samsungs.

> THe S2500 supposedly features ilink, though. At US $700 (the original
> announced MSRP, though apparentlyu the European version comes it at more
> like $800) that would make it the least expensive ilink-compatible
> universal player out there.

I think a Pioneer DV-757 Ai is cheaper. I found it online for 479 euros,
although I don't know the retailer:

http://www.mistergooddeal.com/v2/V2_produit.asp?num=1&p...

BTW, the only Yamaha receiver with ilink is the very expensive
DSP-Z9 or RX-Z9.

--
http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/

..pt is Portugal| `Whom the gods love die young'-Menander (342-292 BC)
Europe | Villeneuve 50-82, Toivonen 56-86, Senna 60-94
April 21, 2005 6:57:03 AM

Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro <rps@koala.mat.uc.pt> wrote:
> Steven Sullivan <ssully@panix.com> wrote:
> > Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro <rps@koala.mat.uc.pt> wrote:
> > > One more low-cost universal player. Yamaha has a new model, the Yamaha
> > > DVD-S 657, with DVD-Audio and SACD compatibility (around 180 euros
> > > online). The equivalent american model seems to not exist yet.

> > I've read online in the [last few days that the] S2500 has become available
> > in Europe --- not sure if you're talking about the same model.

> No. The 2500 costs 700 euros (at www.technikdirekt.de), so it is not in
> the same range as the DVD-S 657.

> http://www.yamaha-online.de/productstech.php?idprod=118...

> http://www.hifi-edition.de/de/pro.php?id=2388

> > > It lacks DVI or HDMI output, unlike the Samsungs.

> > THe S2500 supposedly features ilink, though. At US $700 (the original
> > announced MSRP, though apparentlyu the European version comes it at more
> > like $800) that would make it the least expensive ilink-compatible
> > universal player out there.

> I think a Pioneer DV-757 Ai is cheaper. I found it online for 479 euros,
> although I don't know the retailer:

> http://www.mistergooddeal.com/v2/V2_produit.asp?num=1&p...

> BTW, the only Yamaha receiver with ilink is the very expensive
> DSP-Z9 or RX-Z9.

True, but so far reports of ilink interoperability between brands have
been encouraging. I expect the Yamaha would work perfectly well with
a Pioneer ilink AVR.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 4:23:21 AM

Steven Sullivan <ssully@panix.com> wrote:
> Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro <rps@koala.mat.uc.pt> wrote:
> > Steven Sullivan <ssully@panix.com> wrote:
> > > Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro <rps@koala.mat.uc.pt> wrote:

> > > THe S2500 supposedly features ilink, though. At US $700 (the original
> > > announced MSRP, though apparentlyu the European version comes it at more
> > > like $800) that would make it the least expensive ilink-compatible
> > > universal player out there.

> > BTW, the only Yamaha receiver with ilink is the very expensive
> > DSP-Z9 or RX-Z9.

This has changed. There is now (since April, in fact) a Yamaha RX-V4600
with both ilink and HDMI. At $1900 (online) it is still much more
expensive than the cheaper Pioneers. Maybe the RX-V2600 and RX-V1600
will also have ilink and HDMI but those models are still months away
(Christmas 2005 or later).

http://www.yamaha.ca/av/Receivers/RXV4600B.jsp
http://www.yamaha.ca/av/Images/receivers/RXV4600/rear.j...

> True, but so far reports of ilink interoperability between brands have
> been encouraging. I expect the Yamaha would work perfectly well with
> a Pioneer ilink AVR.

I think I have read somewhere that such a connection (Pioneer-Yamaha)
worked without problems.

--
http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/

..pt is Portugal| `Whom the gods love die young'-Menander (342-292 BC)
Europe | Villeneuve 50-82, Toivonen 56-86, Senna 60-94
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 1:07:15 AM

Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro <rps@koala.mat.uc.pt> wrote:
> Steven Sullivan <ssully@panix.com> wrote:

> > True, but so far reports of ilink interoperability between brands have
> > been encouraging. I expect the Yamaha would work perfectly well with
> > a Pioneer ilink AVR.

> I think I have read somewhere that such a connection (Pioneer-Yamaha)
> worked without problems.

With the online price of the Pioneer 59AVi having come down so much , the
Yamaha S2500 is no longer a clear price leader for ilink players.

--

!