Interesting Quote of the Day

Words to the wise, Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net> wrote:

>From http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18624994.700 :
>
>"'Stimulating your brain with a reminder on a Blackberry doesn't seem that
>different to me from stimulating your brain with a drug,' says Arthur
>Caplan, a bioethicist at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia."
>
>Wow.

So blackberries are drugs and need to be illegalized?

"Cape Dweller" <usenet@ciotog.net> wrote in message
> From http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18624994.700 :
>
> "'Stimulating your brain with a reminder on a Blackberry doesn't seem that
> different to me from stimulating your brain with a drug,' says Arthur
> Caplan, a bioethicist at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia."
>
> Wow.

*nods* I remember reading that article (in physical form)... I agree, /if/
that's all that it seems.

Ampakines... they sound promising, but also a little too good to be true.

Give it a few decades. If they've passed all the tests without showing any
negative side-effects--and particularly if I can look at their chemical
structure and understand exactly what reaction they have on the body and
brain--I might consider being less suspicious of them.

Until then, though... better safe than sorry. *nods slightly* Look at all
the similar drugs that have been produced and their negative side-effects
only noticed later over the years/decades.

--
The Triad

On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:36:05 +0100, "The Triad" <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:

>"Cape Dweller" <usenet@ciotog.net> wrote in message
>> From http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18624994.700 :
>>
>> "'Stimulating your brain with a reminder on a Blackberry doesn't seem that
>> different to me from stimulating your brain with a drug,' says Arthur
>> Caplan, a bioethicist at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia."
>>
>> Wow.
>
>*nods* I remember reading that article (in physical form)... I agree, /if/
>that's all that it seems.
>
>Ampakines... they sound promising, but also a little too good to be true.
>
>Give it a few decades. If they've passed all the tests without showing any
>negative side-effects--and particularly if I can look at their chemical
>structure and understand exactly what reaction they have on the body and
>brain--I might consider being less suspicious of them.
>
>Until then, though... better safe than sorry. *nods slightly* Look at all
>the similar drugs that have been produced and their negative side-effects
>only noticed later over the years/decades.

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho
that thoughts acquire speed -- The lips acquire stains -- The stains
become a warning -- It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Quoth Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>:
> "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho
> that thoughts acquire speed -- The lips acquire stains -- The stains
> become a warning -- It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

Quite. :)
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

Claus Dragon wrote:

> Words to the wise, Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net> wrote:
>
>>From http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18624994.700 :
>>
>>"'Stimulating your brain with a reminder on a Blackberry doesn't seem that
>>different to me from stimulating your brain with a drug,' says Arthur
>>Caplan, a bioethicist at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia."
>>
>>Wow.
>
> So blackberries are drugs and need to be illegalized?

I'm sure one of my co-workers agrees. He does the Blackberry development
and most of the API functions are not implemented or broken.

This is talking about the (G)RIM Blackberry and not the fruit.

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org

"Samurai" <Samurai@dev.nul> wrote in message
> Quoth Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>:
>> "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho
>> that thoughts acquire speed -- The lips acquire stains -- The stains
>> become a warning -- It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."
>
> Quite. :)

*smiles; dreams*

--
The Triad

J. P. Morris wrote:
> Claus Dragon wrote:
>

>>Words to the wise, Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net> wrote:
>>
>>>From http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18624994.700 :
>>
>>>"'Stimulating your brain with a reminder on a Blackberry doesn't seem that
>>>different to me from stimulating your brain with a drug,' says Arthur
>>>Caplan, a bioethicist at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia."
>>>
>>>Wow.
>>
>>So blackberries are drugs and need to be illegalized?
>

> I'm sure one of my co-workers agrees. He does the Blackberry development
> and most of the API functions are not implemented or broken.
>
> This is talking about the (G)RIM Blackberry and not the fruit.

Nor the illegal drug.

pibbur

pibbur wrote:
>> This is talking about the (G)RIM Blackberry and not the fruit.
>>
> Nor the illegal drug.

I've not heard of that. What is it?

--

J. P. Morris wrote:
> pibbur wrote:
>
>>>This is talking about the (G)RIM Blackberry and not the fruit.
>>>

>>Nor the illegal drug.
>

> I've not heard of that. What is it?

Just a desperate attempt at being funny.

pibbur, the fool

pibbur wrote:

> J. P. Morris wrote:

>>>Nor the illegal drug.
>>
>> I've not heard of that. What is it?
>>
> Just a desperate attempt at being funny.

Damn. I was hoping to run it by the Blackberry guy at work ;-)

--

J. P. Morris wrote:
> pibbur wrote:
>

>>J. P. Morris wrote:

>>>I've not heard of that. What is it?
>>>

>>Just a desperate attempt at being funny.
>

> Damn. I was hoping to run it by the Blackberry guy at work ;-)

You could of course direct him to this page:
http://www.medications.com/go/drug/Blackberry

It's not particularly illegal, though.

pibbuw
who cuwwentwy seawches googwe using the ewmew fudd wanguage

pibbur wrote:

> You could of course direct him to this page:
> http://www.medications.com/go/drug/Blackberry
>
> It's not particularly illegal, though.

You do need a prescription though...

Funny, I don't remember getting one the last time I ate blueberries.

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.

J. P. Morris wrote:

> I'm sure one of my co-workers agrees. He does the Blackberry development
> and most of the API functions are not implemented or broken.

I babysat a kid who now works for RIM in Waterloo. The next time I see his
father I'll have to tell him that :)

I ought to move to that area, it's much better for IT than London.