Windows-Delayed Write Failed error message

I just got a new 250GB SATA hdd. i plugged it in, formatted it, and started
to transfer files onto the new drive.

Ok, so in the process of transfering some files, I get this error:

After that, my compy no longer detects my new hdd. I have to reboot, and try
again. This is my first experiance with a SATA drive.

Compy=self built
OS=WinXP Pro, Service Pack 1
CPU=2.4ghz P4
MEM=512mb pc2700
MAINBOARD=ASUS P4P800S-X
Drives:1 DVDx16
1 DVDRW
1 60GB Maxtor IDE
1 200GB Western Digital IDE
1 250GB Seagate (Barracuda) SATA
1 Internally connected usb Card Reader

Zeretul1 wrote:
> I just got a new 250GB SATA hdd. i plugged it in, formatted it, and
> started to transfer files onto the new drive.
>
> Ok, so in the process of transfering some files, I get this error:
>

> After that, my compy no longer detects my new hdd. I have to reboot,
> and try again. This is my first experiance with a SATA drive.
>
> Compy=self built
> OS=WinXP Pro, Service Pack 1
> CPU=2.4ghz P4
> MEM=512mb pc2700
> MAINBOARD=ASUS P4P800S-X
> Drives:1 DVDx16
> 1 DVDRW
> 1 60GB Maxtor IDE
> 1 200GB Western Digital IDE
> 1 250GB Seagate (Barracuda) SATA
> 1 Internally connected usb Card Reader

Could be the cabling, could be the controller, could be the driver or could
be the hard drive.
Have you updated your SATA ()controller/chipset) driver in Windows XP?
Is the drive still seen in the BIOS?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

I got that error message when using scsi drives. It is a controller
driver problem. It is always better to install the manufacturer
included drivers for stabilty.

--
BSchwarz

Hi,

Go into device manager, expand the drive branch, double click on the new
drive. On the policies tab, try unchecking the box for write caching. See if
this helps.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/