Your question

Moving to laptop worth it ?

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Mobile Computing
Last response: in Mobile Computing
July 24, 2009 8:58:00 PM

Hi all,

Today I received an offer from my friend, to trade his notebook for my pc. I generally use my pc for playing games, like the Half Life series, Garrys Mod, Call of Duty 4 / 2, Assassins Creed, Prototype and some more. Now I ask you, would this trade be worth it ? A laptop would come in handy with school, even though this thing is pretty heavy. My main concern is preformance loss, anyone with experience ? The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5920G :
Beoogde doelgroep consument
gamer

Processorfamilie Intel Core 2 Duo
Processormodel T7300
Processorsnelheid (GHz) 2
Memory ( DDR2 667Mhz ) (GB) 2
Chipset Intel PM965
Turbo Memory 1 GB
Grafische chipset NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
Grafisch geheugen (MB) 256
Hard disk (GB) 160
Optische drive DVD multiwriter
Optische labeltechniek -
Netwerkaansluitingen 1x Fast Ethernet
Draadloze verbindingen 802.11 a/b/g/n
Bluetooth 1.0

Modemaansluiting ja
Schermtype TFT (Glanzend)
Schermformaat (inch) 15.4
USB-poorten 4
Overige aansluitingen USB 2.0
Firewire-400
Modem
LAN
Infrarood
Bluetooth
VGA
HDMI
Audio-in
Audio-uit
Headphone
Svideo-uit
Expresscard
Windows Vista Home Premium

Against my pc:
See my sig :p 

I hope you guys can help me out figuring out all the pro's and cons.

Thanks in advance,

Tijmen

More about : moving laptop worth

July 26, 2009 2:35:12 PM

For those who cant see my sig, like myself on the laptop, here they are:
-AMD Athlon X2 6000+
-Ati HD4770
-Gigabyte MA78GM-s2h
-SweeX 650 Watt powersupply
-DVD player
-Crappy case
-Samsung Spinpoint 160gb 8mb cache
-Seagate 500gb 16mb cache
-Floppy drive
- Normal speakerset ( no subwoofer ), keyboard, optical mouse, CRT screen.
Pretty much everything is still covered with warranty, motherboard and graphics card are 1 month old ( new ).
July 29, 2009 4:21:38 PM

Halflife Vs school seems to be the main debate here.... Remember it need not be a straight switch get him to send some dollar your way.
Related resources
July 29, 2009 9:40:11 PM

Laptop 8600mGT
Half Life 2 - Episode 1: 1280x800: 70 fps
and half life 2 doesn't really have as good graphics as the other games you pointed out.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-8600M-GT.39...
heres the benchmark for that gpu
3D marks mobile gpu scored about 5k and 4770 scored about 14.5 (rounded)
So i say no about trading your desktop with your gpu. You can find a good laptop with i say get a 9600mGT at least... I have one and for css i get a good 220+FPS!
cpu for mobile
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-2-Duo-Notebook-...
your amd with your ati will outperform that laptop anyday!
August 5, 2009 12:40:03 PM

well, I can say for sure that your PC has better gaming specs compared to the laptop. My laptop's spec is extremely similar to your friend's laptop. I can play COD4 on decent specs but it can't handle any new games without lagging, even on low specs. If you are a hardcore PC gamer, then you probably should buy a gaming laptop for school, or if you can live with just old games or new games running on crappy details, then feel free to do the trade.
August 6, 2009 9:35:45 AM

Go for the trade, the specs are fine for gaming and a laptop gives you more flexibility
August 6, 2009 10:04:59 PM

I think it is important to mention that even thought your PC isn`t the newest, you are only a few hundred $$ in upgrades away from a powerhouse. While you didn`t mention that you were unhappy with your PC`s performance, I think you would be unhappy with that laptop... and you won`t be able to upgrade. Not to mention things like battery life/ theft/ dropping/ etc... and frankly most people with laptops (that I know) don`t take them to around as much as they should. Ultimately I don`t think people use the laptop`s only advantage, portability. If you really think it will be a help to you while you are in school then by all means, but I would think about picking up a cheap-o used laptop/ netbook *wince* before you gave up your PC. I hope you are happy with whatever you choose.

!