Printing to a shared USB printer

Newt

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2003

I've 6 pcs, all running WXP Pro, SP1.
One PC has a USB printer/scanner attached which I've shared.
Other PCs can browse to the printer, and can print to the printer
(apparently). However, whilst the job gets to the queue, it never gets
printed. I can print from the hosting PC OK.

I'm using non-simple file sharing. The PCs are all in the same work group,
and can ping each other OK.

"Newt" <Newt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I've 6 pcs, all running WXP Pro, SP1.
>One PC has a USB printer/scanner attached which I've shared.
>Other PCs can browse to the printer, and can print to the printer
>(apparently). However, whilst the job gets to the queue, it never gets
>printed. I can print from the hosting PC OK.
>
>I'm using non-simple file sharing. The PCs are all in the same work group,
>and can ping each other OK.

What is the make and model of the printer/scanner?

Some models are not intended to be shared on a network and others have
a special driver version that needs to be downloaded. The HP PSC2410
is one specific model that I know has a special "network" driver
version.

Check the printer manufacturer's web site for special driver versions
for your specific model, and/or check the printer documentation for
information about shared network use.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Newt

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2003

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "Newt" <Newt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I've 6 pcs, all running WXP Pro, SP1.
> >One PC has a USB printer/scanner attached which I've shared.
> >Other PCs can browse to the printer, and can print to the printer
> >(apparently). However, whilst the job gets to the queue, it never gets
> >printed. I can print from the hosting PC OK.
> >
> >I'm using non-simple file sharing. The PCs are all in the same work group,
> >and can ping each other OK.
>
> What is the make and model of the printer/scanner?
>
> Some models are not intended to be shared on a network and others have
> a special driver version that needs to be downloaded. The HP PSC2410
> is one specific model that I know has a special "network" driver
> version.
>
> Check the printer manufacturer's web site for special driver versions
> for your specific model, and/or check the printer documentation for
> information about shared network use.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

It's an Epson CX6600 - I'll check the manuals etc when I get home tonight.

I've emailed Epson as well, but I haven't heard anything back yet. I was
hoping that the community would be more effective.

Newt

"Newt" <Newt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>It's an Epson CX6600 - I'll check the manuals etc when I get home tonight.
>
>I've emailed Epson as well, but I haven't heard anything back yet. I was
>hoping that the community would be more effective.
>
>Newt

Sorry. I have no "hands on" experience with Epson printer/scanner
models.

"Newt" <Newt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've 6 pcs, all running WXP Pro, SP1.
> One PC has a USB printer/scanner attached which I've shared.
> Other PCs can browse to the printer, and can print to the printer
> (apparently). However, whilst the job gets to the queue, it never gets
> printed. I can print from the hosting PC OK.
>
> I'm using non-simple file sharing. The PCs are all in the same work group,
> and can ping each other OK.

I have an Epson C82. Five minutes ago I went to the Epson site for the same
question.
The information was easily found- look in the manuals on line, I found the
information I needed for my printer there.