Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

When I replace a file in a CDR does the space usage increase?

i.e. the CDR is half full and has one file, and I replace that file.

Does the free space of the CDR stay the same or would the CDR usage become
full?

Dan wrote:
> When I replace a file in a CDR does the space usage increase?
>
> i.e. the CDR is half full and has one file, and I replace that file.
>
> Does the free space of the CDR stay the same or would the CDR usage
> become full?

You cannot "replace" files on a CD-R disk. A CD-R disk is a "write once"
type of CD. You can replace files on a CD-RW disk as long as you are using
Packet Writing software. See the following article for more information.

Burning CDs in Windows XP:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 14:53:17 -0700, "Ronnie Vernon MVP"
<ronv@mvps.org> wrote:

>Dan wrote:
>> When I replace a file in a CDR does the space usage increase?
>>
>> i.e. the CDR is half full and has one file, and I replace that file.
>>
>> Does the free space of the CDR stay the same or would the CDR usage
>> become full?
>
>You cannot "replace" files on a CD-R disk. A CD-R disk is a "write once"
>type of CD. You can replace files on a CD-RW disk as long as you are using
>Packet Writing software. See the following article for more information.
>
>Burning CDs in Windows XP:
>http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php

True, but to answer your questions:

1. Yes.

2. Files on a CDR (or a CDRW using WinXP's built-in burning engine)
are not overwritten. The replacement file is written to the disc, and
the pointer to it in the TOC is changed to point to the new file. The
older version is still on the disc, you just can't see it. So, the
CDR will continue to fill up.

An open-session CDR can accept the same name file as an overwrite. The
space used by the previous same named file is not freed up.