  • Motherboards
  • Windows XP
a b V Motherboard
June 12, 2005 9:52:13 PM

I just changed the mother board and cpu on my wife's system. I installed an
Asus A7S8X-MX motherboard with an AMD Duron processor. Now I can't boot the
system. It stops at the screen that asks you if you want to "continue to
start windows normally", or "start windows with your last know confuration
that worked", etc. No matter which choice I choose, the system just
reboots. I tried to boot to the XP CD and the same thing happens.

I changed the heatsink, power supply, reseated the cpu and tried different
ram. No change.

Can someone PLEASE help me?

Thanks.

More about : changed motherboard

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 12, 2005 9:52:14 PM

James Ellis wrote:
> I just changed the mother board and cpu on my wife's system. I
> installed an Asus A7S8X-MX motherboard with an AMD Duron processor. Now I
> can't boot the system. It stops at the screen that asks you if
> you want to "continue to start windows normally", or "start windows
> with your last know confuration that worked", etc. No matter which
> choice I choose, the system just reboots. I tried to boot to the XP
> CD and the same thing happens.
> I changed the heatsink, power supply, reseated the cpu and tried
> different ram. No change.
>
> Can someone PLEASE help me?

If the "same thing" happens when you "try to boot from the CD", then you are
not actually booting from the Windows XP CD.

First make sure your BIOS is setup to boot from CD first.
Then make sure you pay attention and press a key to boot from CD.

If you never see the text "Press any key to boot from CD" - then you are not
booting from a Windows XP CD - check all of your settings and that you have
the correct CD in the correct CD drive.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> If the "same thing" happens when you "try to boot from the CD", then
> you are not actually booting from the Windows XP CD.
>
> First make sure your BIOS is setup to boot from CD first.
> Then make sure you pay attention and press a key to boot from CD.
>
> If you never see the text "Press any key to boot from CD" - then you
> are not booting from a Windows XP CD - check all of your settings and
> that you have the correct CD in the correct CD drive.

If you perform a repair install, your installation media (CD) needs to
really be the same service pack level as your currently installed system.
You will likely need to create a new CD from the old one with SP2
slipstreamed/integrated into it. Something like "AutoStreamer" would assist
you in making this new CD from the old one.

Create a SP2 Slipstreamed Windows XP CD with Autostreamer
http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html

Perform a Repair installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Hi,

Set the BIOS to boot from the CD first - then run a repair installation:

Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"James Ellis" <racer8297@email.com> wrote in message
>I just changed the mother board and cpu on my wife's system. I installed
>an Asus A7S8X-MX motherboard with an AMD Duron processor. Now I can't boot
>the system. It stops at the screen that asks you if you want to "continue
>to start windows normally", or "start windows with your last know
>confuration that worked", etc. No matter which choice I choose, the system
>just reboots. I tried to boot to the XP CD and the same thing happens.
>
> I changed the heatsink, power supply, reseated the cpu and tried different
> ram. No change.
>
> Can someone PLEASE help me?
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 12, 2005 10:14:54 PM

James Ellis wrote:
> I just changed the mother board and cpu on my wife's system. I installed an
> Asus A7S8X-MX motherboard with an AMD Duron processor. Now I can't boot the
> system. It stops at the screen that asks you if you want to "continue to
> start windows normally", or "start windows with your last know confuration
> that worked", etc. No matter which choice I choose, the system just
> reboots. I tried to boot to the XP CD and the same thing happens.
>
> I changed the heatsink, power supply, reseated the cpu and tried different
> ram. No change.
>
> Can someone PLEASE help me?
>
> Thanks.

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours before starting),
unless the new motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same
IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP
installation was originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair
(a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least:

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=K...;EN-US;Q315341

The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
"tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
than the Win9x group.

important data before starting.

This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 12, 2005 10:24:37 PM

Restart the computer and press the Delete key. When the setup program
starts, go to the Boot menu and slect CD ROM as 1st Boot Device. Save and
exit. Boot to the Windows CD and select to install Windows - Repair the
existing installation. See:

http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/sis741GX/e1766_a7...

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"James Ellis" <racer8297@email.com> wrote in message
> I just changed the mother board and cpu on my wife's system. I installed
an
> Asus A7S8X-MX motherboard with an AMD Duron processor. Now I can't boot
the
> system. It stops at the screen that asks you if you want to "continue to
> start windows normally", or "start windows with your last know confuration
> that worked", etc. No matter which choice I choose, the system just
> reboots. I tried to boot to the XP CD and the same thing happens.
>
> I changed the heatsink, power supply, reseated the cpu and tried different
> ram. No change.
>
> Can someone PLEASE help me?
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2005 1:58:09 AM

"James Ellis" <racer8297@email.com> wrote in message
> I just changed the mother board and cpu on my wife's system. I installed
an
> Asus A7S8X-MX motherboard with an AMD Duron processor. Now I can't boot
the
> system. It stops at the screen that asks you if you want to "continue to
> start windows normally", or "start windows with your last know confuration
> that worked", etc. No matter which choice I choose, the system just
> reboots. I tried to boot to the XP CD and the same thing happens.

Are you sure it's booting from the CD?

Boot into the BIOS and check that the CD drive is before the HD in the boot
order.
!