Search & System Restore not working

June 12, 2005 7:22:01 PM

Several evenings ago, it seemed like something was downloading that should
not have been and then a message popped up, something like “do you want to
install something poker� now. I declined and figured it was adware. I ran
spybot, adaware, hijack this and Norton anti-virus and found and removed the
suggested items-including one or two funny looking items via Hijackthis.
Then I wanted to go to “Search� and see what files had been added to my
computer that night to see if there was anything suspicious that I should
remove. When I clicked on search, I got a message “A file that is needed to
run search companion cannot be found. You may need to run set up.� The
search mechanism won’t work beyond that point. (I checked the Windows and
Program folders by clicking down from the My Computer icon and the only file
I could find that had downloaded at about the time the problem surfaced was
“setupapi�, but I think this is a normal windows update file, correct?)

Once this happened I figured there might be a virus or spyware or something
that could not be reached other than from safe mode, with system restore
turned off. However, when I tried to check the turn off system restore
button, I received message “System Restore encountered an error trying to
enable disable one or more drives. Please restart your machine and try
again.� (Restarting did not work.) MS has a page on the search companion
issue, with three solutions, but they have not worked for me because I
already have Windows XP SP2 installed, the hot fix is older than Windows XP
SP2, and my efforts to reinstall srchasst.inf apparently did not take. I
also attempted to correct by Start/Run/Okay regarding jscript.dll,
vbscript.dll, and urlmon.dll. Additionally, for what it is worth, Norton
Windoc indicates I am missing “mscoree.dll�, stating “C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Install Shield\Professsional Runtime\0701\Intel32\Dot Net
Installer.exe� cannot access it.

I considered using system restore to return my settings to a time when the
search worked, but when I tried this I got a message that system restore
cannot protect my computer.

I am afraid the more a look around, the more trouble I will find.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance

jvmpdx@att.net
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 11:20:01 PM

"SeamusPDX" wrote:

> Several evenings ago, it seemed like something was downloading that should
> not have been and then a message popped up, something like “do you want to
> install something poker� now. I declined and figured it was adware. I ran
> spybot, adaware, hijack this and Norton anti-virus and found and removed the
> suggested items-including one or two funny looking items via Hijackthis.
> Then I wanted to go to “Search� and see what files had been added to my
> computer that night to see if there was anything suspicious that I should
> remove. When I clicked on search, I got a message “A file that is needed to
> run search companion cannot be found. You may need to run set up.� The
> search mechanism won’t work beyond that point. (I checked the Windows and
> Program folders by clicking down from the My Computer icon and the only file
> I could find that had downloaded at about the time the problem surfaced was
> “setupapi�, but I think this is a normal windows update file, correct?)
>
> Once this happened I figured there might be a virus or spyware or something
> that could not be reached other than from safe mode, with system restore
> turned off. However, when I tried to check the turn off system restore
> button, I received message “System Restore encountered an error trying to
> enable disable one or more drives. Please restart your machine and try
> again.� (Restarting did not work.) MS has a page on the search companion
> issue, with three solutions, but they have not worked for me because I
> already have Windows XP SP2 installed, the hot fix is older than Windows XP
> SP2, and my efforts to reinstall srchasst.inf apparently did not take. I
> also attempted to correct by Start/Run/Okay regarding jscript.dll,
> vbscript.dll, and urlmon.dll. Additionally, for what it is worth, Norton
> Windoc indicates I am missing “mscoree.dll�, stating “C:\Program Files\Common
> Files\Install Shield\Professsional Runtime\0701\Intel32\Dot Net
> Installer.exe� cannot access it.
>
> I considered using system restore to return my settings to a time when the
> search worked, but when I tried this I got a message that system restore
> cannot protect my computer.
>
> I am afraid the more a look around, the more trouble I will find.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> jvmpdx@att.net

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 11:33:01 PM

Meanwhile, I've run sfc /scannow and it ran all the way through, but when it
was finished, it didn't indicate whether there were any problems or that
everything was okay-it just stopped. I also downloaded Ransack, as an
alternative to search, to see if any odd files were downloaded at about the
time the problem started (and for weeks before and after). I may have found a
few problem files with it. Is is as good as the regular search?

Could I have removed a file with Hi Jack this that would cause system
restore and/or search not to work? (I could have been mistaken about the
order I did things in.) An item known as "*StateMgr" is not on startup tab
at msconfig--could this be the trouble?

Sorry for the scatter brained approach . . . any assistance greatly
appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

jvmpdx@att.net

!