Search & System Restore not working

Several evenings ago, it seemed like something was downloading that should
not have been and then a message popped up, something like “do you want to
install something poker� now. I declined and figured it was adware. I ran
spybot, adaware, hijack this and Norton anti-virus and found and removed the
suggested items-including one or two funny looking items via Hijackthis.
Then I wanted to go to “Search� and see what files had been added to my
computer that night to see if there was anything suspicious that I should
remove. When I clicked on search, I got a message “A file that is needed to
run search companion cannot be found. You may need to run set up.� The
search mechanism won’t work beyond that point. (I checked the Windows and
Program folders by clicking down from the My Computer icon and the only file
I could find that had downloaded at about the time the problem surfaced was
“setupapi�, but I think this is a normal windows update file, correct?)

Once this happened I figured there might be a virus or spyware or something
that could not be reached other than from safe mode, with system restore
turned off. However, when I tried to check the turn off system restore
button, I received message “System Restore encountered an error trying to
enable disable one or more drives. Please restart your machine and try
again.� (Restarting did not work.) MS has a page on the search companion
issue, with three solutions, but they have not worked for me because I
already have Windows XP SP2 installed, the hot fix is older than Windows XP
SP2, and my efforts to reinstall srchasst.inf apparently did not take. I
also attempted to correct by Start/Run/Okay regarding jscript.dll,
vbscript.dll, and urlmon.dll. Additionally, for what it is worth, Norton
Windoc indicates I am missing “mscoree.dll�, stating “C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Install Shield\Professsional Runtime\0701\Intel32\Dot Net
Installer.exe� cannot access it.

I considered using system restore to return my settings to a time when the
search worked, but when I tried this I got a message that system restore
cannot protect my computer.

I am afraid the more a look around, the more trouble I will find.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance

jvmpdx@att.net
2 answers Last reply
More about search system restore working

    "SeamusPDX" wrote:

    > Several evenings ago, it seemed like something was downloading that should
    > not have been and then a message popped up, something like “do you want to
    > install something poker� now. I declined and figured it was adware. I ran
    > spybot, adaware, hijack this and Norton anti-virus and found and removed the
    > suggested items-including one or two funny looking items via Hijackthis.
    > Then I wanted to go to “Search� and see what files had been added to my
    > computer that night to see if there was anything suspicious that I should
    > remove. When I clicked on search, I got a message “A file that is needed to
    > run search companion cannot be found. You may need to run set up.� The
    > search mechanism won’t work beyond that point. (I checked the Windows and
    > Program folders by clicking down from the My Computer icon and the only file
    > I could find that had downloaded at about the time the problem surfaced was
    > “setupapi�, but I think this is a normal windows update file, correct?)
    >
    > Once this happened I figured there might be a virus or spyware or something
    > that could not be reached other than from safe mode, with system restore
    > turned off. However, when I tried to check the turn off system restore
    > button, I received message “System Restore encountered an error trying to
    > enable disable one or more drives. Please restart your machine and try
    > again.� (Restarting did not work.) MS has a page on the search companion
    > issue, with three solutions, but they have not worked for me because I
    > already have Windows XP SP2 installed, the hot fix is older than Windows XP
    > SP2, and my efforts to reinstall srchasst.inf apparently did not take. I
    > also attempted to correct by Start/Run/Okay regarding jscript.dll,
    > vbscript.dll, and urlmon.dll. Additionally, for what it is worth, Norton
    > Windoc indicates I am missing “mscoree.dll�, stating “C:\Program Files\Common
    > Files\Install Shield\Professsional Runtime\0701\Intel32\Dot Net
    > Installer.exe� cannot access it.
    >
    > I considered using system restore to return my settings to a time when the
    > search worked, but when I tried this I got a message that system restore
    > cannot protect my computer.
    >
    > I am afraid the more a look around, the more trouble I will find.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thank you in advance
    >
    > jvmpdx@att.net

    Meanwhile, I've run sfc /scannow and it ran all the way through, but when it
    was finished, it didn't indicate whether there were any problems or that
    everything was okay-it just stopped. I also downloaded Ransack, as an
    alternative to search, to see if any odd files were downloaded at about the
    time the problem started (and for weeks before and after). I may have found a
    few problem files with it. Is is as good as the regular search?

    Could I have removed a file with Hi Jack this that would cause system
    restore and/or search not to work? (I could have been mistaken about the
    order I did things in.) An item known as "*StateMgr" is not on startup tab
    at msconfig--could this be the trouble?

    Sorry for the scatter brained approach . . . any assistance greatly
    appreciated.

    Thank you in advance.

    jvmpdx@att.net

    "SeamusPDX" wrote:

    > Several evenings ago, it seemed like something was downloading that should
    > not have been and then a message popped up, something like “do you want to
    > install something poker� now. I declined and figured it was adware. I ran
    > spybot, adaware, hijack this and Norton anti-virus and found and removed the
    > suggested items-including one or two funny looking items via Hijackthis.
    > Then I wanted to go to “Search� and see what files had been added to my
    > computer that night to see if there was anything suspicious that I should
    > remove. When I clicked on search, I got a message “A file that is needed to
    > run search companion cannot be found. You may need to run set up.� The
    > search mechanism won’t work beyond that point. (I checked the Windows and
    > Program folders by clicking down from the My Computer icon and the only file
    > I could find that had downloaded at about the time the problem surfaced was
    > “setupapi�, but I think this is a normal windows update file, correct?)
    >
    > Once this happened I figured there might be a virus or spyware or something
    > that could not be reached other than from safe mode, with system restore
    > turned off. However, when I tried to check the turn off system restore
    > button, I received message “System Restore encountered an error trying to
    > enable disable one or more drives. Please restart your machine and try
    > again.� (Restarting did not work.) MS has a page on the search companion
    > issue, with three solutions, but they have not worked for me because I
    > already have Windows XP SP2 installed, the hot fix is older than Windows XP
    > SP2, and my efforts to reinstall srchasst.inf apparently did not take. I
    > also attempted to correct by Start/Run/Okay regarding jscript.dll,
    > vbscript.dll, and urlmon.dll. Additionally, for what it is worth, Norton
    > Windoc indicates I am missing “mscoree.dll�, stating “C:\Program Files\Common
    > Files\Install Shield\Professsional Runtime\0701\Intel32\Dot Net
    > Installer.exe� cannot access it.
    >
    > I considered using system restore to return my settings to a time when the
    > search worked, but when I tried this I got a message that system restore
    > cannot protect my computer.
    >
    > I am afraid the more a look around, the more trouble I will find.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thank you in advance
    >
    > jvmpdx@att.net

System Restore Windows XP