Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard swap: Salvaging a desktop install

Last response: in Windows 7
August 8, 2012 6:36:23 PM

I recently had a motherboard die on an HP - I replaced it with a newer (less expensive) non-hp mb. Everything else hardware wise remained the same on the system.

Unfortunately the system wouldn't boot Win 7 - it starts then blue screens. The blue screen does not offer any info of use. "Stop error code 0x0000007B" - Obviously some old driver doesn't like something it found on the new motherboard. No amount of system repair could get it to work and I tried a few different approaches.

I did try installing Win 7 onto the drive but it wouldn't do it over top the old one, just created a new install and put all the other stuff in an 'windows.old' folder.

What I want to do now (if possible) is to install Win 7 'on top' of the original OS so that all the programs I had installed will still be installed but as of yet I've not found a way to do that.

Of course I could just bite the bullet and re install everything then, configure...and retrieve the old data files for outlook and crap but man it just seems there should be a simpler way, all that stuff is there where it needs to be.

Any help in this regard would be awesome, thanks.

Jamie
a b α HP
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
August 8, 2012 6:52:17 PM

Hi :) 

Considering your problems , you have NO choice now apart from Format and fresh install, and you WILL LOSE everything...

Also you WILL need a new legal copy of Windows... as your OEM was locked to the motherboard...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
August 8, 2012 7:17:46 PM

Thanks, yes I already have the Win7 install - the system originally came with Vista, got rid of that fast enough.

Dang it, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet then - just seems there should be some way to migrate all the apps over.

Oh well.
m
l
!