XP Professional CD Won't Load

I am trying to load WinXP Professional from the CD at boot up. It won't
load.
I have an AMD/K6 450 CPU and a 100 GB hard drive.

The computer gives me an "invalid system disk" message.

I've formatted the hard drive three times to the NTFS file system. It
has a primary partition.

What should I do to fix this where the computer will boot to the CD?

Thanks!

--
jrichar9
jrichar9's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12919

BigJim

well you have to set in the bios to boot from cd if that doesn't work you
may have to buy a retail version of windows xp you could have an upgrade
disk.

"jrichar9" <jrichar9.1qjeix@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com> wrote in message

> I am trying to load WinXP Professional from the CD at boot up. It won't
> load.
> I have an AMD/K6 450 CPU and a 100 GB hard drive.
>
> The computer gives me an "invalid system disk" message.
>
> I've formatted the hard drive three times to the NTFS file system. It
> has a primary partition.
>
> What should I do to fix this where the computer will boot to the CD?
>
> Thanks!
>

> --
> jrichar9
> jrichar9's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12919
> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819080789

Check that there is not a disk in the floppy. Check in the BIOS that your CD
drive is set to boot first.

"jrichar9" <jrichar9.1qjeix@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com> wrote in message

> I am trying to load WinXP Professional from the CD at boot up. It won't
> load.
> I have an AMD/K6 450 CPU and a 100 GB hard drive.
>
> The computer gives me an "invalid system disk" message.
>
> I've formatted the hard drive three times to the NTFS file system. It
> has a primary partition.
>
> What should I do to fix this where the computer will boot to the CD?
>
> Thanks!
>

> --
> jrichar9
> jrichar9's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12919
> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819080789

Hi,

Your BIOS boot order is likely incorrect, you need to set it to boot from
the CD first - before the hard drive. The error message you are recieving is
because there is no bootable files on the hard drive (not yet anyways, at
least until you install the operating system).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

jrichar9 wrote:
> I am trying to load WinXP Professional from the CD at boot up. It
> won't load.
> I have an AMD/K6 450 CPU and a 100 GB hard drive.
>
> The computer gives me an "invalid system disk" message.
>
> I've formatted the hard drive three times to the NTFS file system. It
> has a primary partition.
>
> What should I do to fix this where the computer will boot to the CD?

Here's the problem I am having..
You say the CD won't load.. Yet you also state you've formatted the hard
drive to NTFS three times.. Which is it? You cannot have both.

Now - when you put your Windows XP CD in, you turn on the computer to go
into the BIOS and see that it is set to boot from the CD first and then you
exit (saving changes) and watch - do you see the "Press Any Key to Boot from
CD" message.. And do you press any key?

If not - then either you didn't set the BIOS correctly OR your CD or CD
drive or controller is toast.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Might be a stupid question but do you have a disk in your floppy drive by chance

--
Peter

"jrichar9" <jrichar9.1qjeix@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com> wrote in message news:jrichar9.1qjeix@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com...

> I am trying to load WinXP Professional from the CD at boot up. It won't
> load.
> I have an AMD/K6 450 CPU and a 100 GB hard drive.
>
> The computer gives me an "invalid system disk" message.
>
> I've formatted the hard drive three times to the NTFS file system. It
> has a primary partition.
>
> What should I do to fix this where the computer will boot to the CD?
>
> Thanks!
>

> --
> jrichar9
> jrichar9's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12919
> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819080789

You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots
before the hard drive.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

jrichar9 wrote:

> I am trying to load WinXP Professional from the CD at boot up. It won't
> load.
> I have an AMD/K6 450 CPU and a 100 GB hard drive.
>
> The computer gives me an "invalid system disk" message.
>
> I've formatted the hard drive three times to the NTFS file system. It
> has a primary partition.
>
> What should I do to fix this where the computer will boot to the CD?
>
> Thanks!

Is the CD okay?
Clean the CD-Drive and retry.
Do you have a computer with more than one CD-ROM
(cd-rom/dvd/cd-writer?If then insert the CD into another drive and check
what happens.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP