Sidewinder Precision Pro Joystick Driver

Last response: in Video Games
January 6, 2005 6:55:01 PM

I have a Sidewinder Precision Pro Joystick and it worked fine when I had
Windows ME on my computer. I have updated to XP and tried install the driver
again and it tells me that the driver is not compatible w/ my version of
windows. I have been all over Microsoft website and I can not find an
updated driver for this joystick even though the site says it is supposed to
be supported until Sep 30,2005. Can anyone tell me where I can find a driver
that will work so we can use this joystick?
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 11:02:23 PM

Halo Jalee,

Here are instructions for both the USB and the Gameport models:

The version 4 software for USB Sidewinders is XP compatible, of
course, you have to be using an administrators account to install it*.
If it gives you a warning, you can click OK and continue installing it.
*Install the software before connecting the device to the USB port!

Version 3 software isn't XP compatible, we'll use XP's drivers instead.
While USB devices just plug and play, GamePort devices need work:

To install a GamePort controller, Plug it in, click Start / Control Panel /
Switch to Classic view if you haven't already / click Game Controllers
Click Add... / Select Microsoft Sidewinder Auto Detect / OK / OK.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
Contact

"JaleeH" <JaleeH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a Sidewinder Precision Pro Joystick and it worked fine when I had
> Windows ME on my computer. I have updated to XP and tried install the
driver
> again and it tells me that the driver is not compatible w/ my version of
> windows. I have been all over Microsoft website and I can not find an
> updated driver for this joystick even though the site says it is supposed
> be supported until Sep 30,2005. Can anyone tell me where I can find a
driver
> that will work so we can use this joystick?
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 12:43:24 AM

Version 3.02 of the Sidewinder software was the last version produced for
the gameport devices. This version provided extra functionality, and the
version is not compatible with XP. The 4.x software was for USB devices
only, and will work on XP.

Your device may work OK with the default Windows drivers. That said, if you
have difficulty getting the joystick to work, it could come down to
compatibility (part of the reason gameport devices were discontinued about 5
years ago, those issues don't happen with USB).

Steve

!