TREO 600 turns on by itself?

August 11, 2004 8:40:20 PM

Recently upgraded from a 515 to a treo. All is well. Got the cradel
and the hands free car kit. have noticed that from time to time the
screen turns on at random times. this is not a problem sitting at my
desk, but while driving at night it's a hazard.

Palm "tech support" tells me it's a FEATURE and that it turns on when
the palm is moved a slight bit and cannot be disabled.

Anyone else have this happen?

Walt

More about : treo 600 turns

Anonymous
August 12, 2004 5:38:21 AM

In article <6t0lh054gp41hn4pal1nfjb01001vg6h26@4ax.com>, Walt Lewis
<walt_l@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Recently upgraded from a 515 to a treo. All is well. Got the cradel
> and the hands free car kit. have noticed that from time to time the
> screen turns on at random times. this is not a problem sitting at my
> desk, but while driving at night it's a hazard.
>
> Palm "tech support" tells me it's a FEATURE and that it turns on when
> the palm is moved a slight bit and cannot be disabled.

Did they really tell you this? Check the manual. There's a way of locking
the keys so that accidental bumps don't turn the Treo on.
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 11:21:09 AM

It wouldn't surprise me that they told you this. The technical support
has really gone downhill since Handspring merged with PalmOne and
PalmOne later outsourced their technical support department.
Handspring (the original manufacturers of the Treo 600) used to have
tremendous technical support.

When I called PalmOne's technical support department because their
firmware locked my previously unlocked Treo 600. They first didn't
know what I meant by "locked". They thought that I was talking about
the useless password lock feature for PalmOS products. They then gave
me solutions which I knew wouldn't work (like drain the battery, hard
reset, etc.). In the end, I got so frustrated with their technical
support department after calling them and following up for 3 weeks and
being given the round around that I unlocked it myself.

If your Treo 600 turns on/off when you shake it, something is wrong
with it. It is not a feature. It is a bug/problem with your unit. My
Treo 600 doesn't turn on no matter how hard I shake it. The only way
that it turns on is when I either purposely or accidentally press on
the power-on button (on the right of the mail button above the "P"
key).

I would look into exchanging your unit if it powers on when you shake
it. Do a test and place your Treo 600 in your hand and just shake it
(make sure you don't accidentally push the power on button). If it
turns on/off, call either PalmOne technical support or your service
provider (if you purchased your Treo 600 from your service provider)
and tell them that you are having problems with it and describe the
problem. If they say that this is a "feature", tell them that you are
the only person experiencing this "feature".

Also, make sure that you don't have any programs in the background
that is causing it to turn on/off by itself. I have a program that
turns on/off the Radio/Phone unit of my Treo 600. When this happens,
the Treo 600 will light up until the power save feature turns it off.
Back up your information and do a hard reset of your Treo 600 and
shake it to see if it still turns on/off by itself. If it no longer
does this, the problem was due to a program that you installed. If it
continues to turn itself on/off, your Treo 600 has a hardware problem.

/Jim

guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote in message news:<guy-1108041839330001@192.168.1.103>...
> In article <6t0lh054gp41hn4pal1nfjb01001vg6h26@4ax.com>, Walt Lewis
> <walt_l@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Recently upgraded from a 515 to a treo. All is well. Got the cradel
> > and the hands free car kit. have noticed that from time to time the
> > screen turns on at random times. this is not a problem sitting at my
> > desk, but while driving at night it's a hazard.
> >
> > Palm "tech support" tells me it's a FEATURE and that it turns on when
> > the palm is moved a slight bit and cannot be disabled.
>
> Did they really tell you this? Check the manual. There's a way of locking
> the keys so that accidental bumps don't turn the Treo on.
August 13, 2004 3:19:35 PM

I've been going round and round with the outsourced "support" for more
than a month with a coliegues Tungstan T. Yesterday I got EXTREMELY
lucky. I contacted my corporate ref for my wireless provider. She gave
me a phone number and it turned out to be a REAL TECH support guy who
speaks english and is in America!! He does support for bulk buyers but
was VERY gracious in helping me as well as passing on my complaint
regarding support on the tungstan issue.

We did a hard reset to see if it was third party software. As long as
the wireless was turned off it never turned on my itself but as soon
as wireless was enabled it began turning on and off.

Fortuanntly it was withing the 30 day grace period for my service
provider. The are sending a replacement unit the first of next week
and I will return the defective unit.

As far as hitting buttons and accidently turning the unit on I run an
application called poweron that requires a double push of selected
buttons to turn the palm on. It stay off always this way unless I
double push an on button.

Thanks for your comments.

Walt
On 13 Aug 2004 07:21:09 -0700, invalid_jimpoon@canada.com (Jim Poon)
wrote:

> [...]
>continues to turn itself on/off, your Treo 600 has a hardware problem.
>

>/Jim
>
>guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote in message news:<guy-1108041839330001@192.168.1.103>...
>> In article <6t0lh054gp41hn4pal1nfjb01001vg6h26@4ax.com>, Walt Lewis
>> <walt_l@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Recently upgraded from a 515 to a treo. All is well. Got the cradel
>> > and the hands free car kit. have noticed that from time to time the
>> > screen turns on at random times. this is not a problem sitting at my
>> > desk, but while driving at night it's a hazard.
>> >
>> > Palm "tech support" tells me it's a FEATURE and that it turns on when
>> > the palm is moved a slight bit and cannot be disabled.
>>
>> Did they really tell you this? Check the manual. There's a way of locking
>> the keys so that accidental bumps don't turn the Treo on.

August 14, 2004 12:50:09 AM

Walt Lewis wrote:
Walt,
You might want to do a search on the www.treocentral.com discussion site.
That issue has been discussed many times.
Zane