Mouse cursor is all over the place...

inquiring

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
Ive tried to use two new optical mice...one from Dell and the other from Microsoft. Both are corded. I used the Microsoft with a USB-PS2 adapter and the Dell direct to USB. I use WIN XP Pro. Both mice performed oddly: the cursor did not track the mouse and the cursor would occassionally move randomly on the screen without my control. A cheap cheap optical mouse that I bought works with almost no problem. I cannot find anything from Microsoft to explain this. Can anyone please tell me how to solve this problem?
Thank you.

sturm

Splendid
What kind of surface is the mouse on. if its shiny or reflects light alot that may be the problem. I had problems with my mouse until I got a dark, non shiny mouse pad. no problems now.
Are you installing any drivers for it?
Did you remove any old drives?

inquiring

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
Good point-the surface now is a sort of lacquered wood...not dull colored but smooth and it can reflect light.
Ive installed the recommended MS Intellimouse software and drivers altho both mice worked right out of the box. I will place a flat mouse pad under the mouse and see if that does the trick-the cursor now jumps off the page but only when I suddenly move the mouse on this lacquered surface. The surface is a keyboard tray made from particle board laminated with contact paper. Good idea-thanks for the thought-Ill let you know what happens-I cant believe that I got 2 bad mice in a row.