opening an encrypted files

Do you have a question or do you just like to see your name in the "from"
column? (-:

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

Richard Urban wrote:

> Do you have a question or do you just like to see your name in the "from"
> column? (-:

Just another CDO moron.

That's one thing I like about Pan, you can see the poster's newsreader as
part of the normal message header, and don't have to open up properties.

The thing I don't like so far about Pan is that it annoys me about having
a sig longer than 4 lines long when I send every message.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Use the password?

kurttrail wrote:

> Richard Urban wrote:
>
>> Do you have a question or do you just like to see your name in the "from"
>> column? (-:
>
> Just another CDO moron.

Funny you should say that. :)

> That's one thing I like about Pan, you can see the poster's newsreader as
> part of the normal message header, and don't have to open up properties.

The way every newsreader should be.

> The thing I don't like so far about Pan is that it annoys me about having
> a sig longer than 4 lines long when I send every message.

Funny you'd put down someone as a "CDO moron", then complain that your
newsreader annoys you by telling you that under Usnet etiquette, sig lines
shouldn't exceed 4. Why don't you just comply with Netiquette for Usenet
and cut down your sig to 4 lines and get out from under that annoyance? How
many times do you have to be annoyed before you smarten up? If you can't
abide by Usenet etiquette, maybe you should be using CDO?

BTW, I'm using Knode, which I have set to automatically not include others
sigs when replying. The whole idea of short sigs and not quoting them is
just to save bandwidth for those not fortunate enough to yet have highspeed
connections and are forced to still use slower dialups.

Anyway, nice to see you using Pan. At least that is a small step forward for
you. :)

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

kurttrail wrote:

>> Anyway, nice to see you using Pan. At least that is a small step
>> forward for you. :)
>
> LOL! Actually there are many things that are a step backwards about it.
> Like having to apply filters to see my watched threads. That is
> definitely a step backward.

Well then use Knode. You'll probably like it alot more than Pan.

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

Ok, I'm not the person who posted the non-question, but I have a
question/problem on the same topic.

I have a USB external drive that I plug into my desktop computer. On
that drive I create encrypted files (using XP Pro's built-in EFS). I
have no problem accessing those files on that drive on that computer.

However, I want to be able to access those files when I plug that USB
drive into another computer (my laptop), and I have not been able to
figure out how to do it. I have tried exporting the keys (the .pfx
file) from the desktop system and importing them into my laptop, that
does not work. I have tried "taking ownership", that doesn't work.

Please note, this is a "workgroup" situation, there is no domain or
domain controller, there is no "recovery agent" or "recovery policy".

I need step-by-step instructions for reading the EFS encrypted files on
the portable usb hard drive when that drive is plugged into a computer
other than the one on which the files were originally encrypted. Of
course, I have full access to both machines and to any relevant passwords.

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:20:40 -0400, Barry Watzman
<WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:

>Ok, I'm not the person who posted the non-question, but I have a
>question/problem on the same topic.
>
>I have a USB external drive that I plug into my desktop computer. On
>that drive I create encrypted files (using XP Pro's built-in EFS). I
>have no problem accessing those files on that drive on that computer.
>
>However, I want to be able to access those files when I plug that USB
>drive into another computer (my laptop), and I have not been able to
>figure out how to do it. I have tried exporting the keys (the .pfx
>file) from the desktop system and importing them into my laptop, that
>does not work. I have tried "taking ownership", that doesn't work.
>
>Please note, this is a "workgroup" situation, there is no domain or
>domain controller, there is no "recovery agent" or "recovery policy".
>
>I need step-by-step instructions for reading the EFS encrypted files on
>the portable usb hard drive when that drive is plugged into a computer
>other than the one on which the files were originally encrypted. Of
>course, I have full access to both machines and to any relevant passwords.

Now you see the problems with using EFS. The problem has to do with
non-matching SIDs between the two systems. I've never used EFS, so I
can't talk about how to import the certificates, but I know it can be
done. Somebody esle will have to talk you through that.

I just recommend NOT using EFS. It's a recipe for disaster. It is
high-level government grade encryption, but it's tied to the weakest
link in the world - a solid password that hardly any home user bothers
to use, or even create. If I can log on onto your account, then I can
read your securely encrypted files.

Further, what state-level high-security secrets of our nation are you
trying to protect on your home system? There are so many easier ways
to hide a porno collection!

Barry Watzman wrote:

> Ok, I'm not the person who posted the non-question, but I have a
> question/problem on the same topic.
>
> I have a USB external drive that I plug into my desktop computer. On
> that drive I create encrypted files (using XP Pro's built-in EFS). I
> have no problem accessing those files on that drive on that computer.
>
> However, I want to be able to access those files when I plug that USB
> drive into another computer (my laptop), and I have not been able to
> figure out how to do it. I have tried exporting the keys (the .pfx
> file) from the desktop system and importing them into my laptop, that
> does not work. I have tried "taking ownership", that doesn't work.
>
> Please note, this is a "workgroup" situation, there is no domain or
> domain controller, there is no "recovery agent" or "recovery policy".
>
> I need step-by-step instructions for reading the EFS encrypted files on
> the portable usb hard drive when that drive is plugged into a computer
> other than the one on which the files were originally encrypted. Of
> course, I have full access to both machines and to any relevant passwords.
Hi,

I wouldn't touch EFS even with a ten foot pole...

A friend of mine have tested a free product called TrueCrypt to encrypt
data on USB sticks, and he was very satisfied.

TrueCrypt
http://www.truecrypt.org/

<quote>
Free open-source disk encryption for Windows XP/2000/2003

Main Features:
* It can create a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mount it
as a real disk.
* It can encrypt an entire hard disk partition or a device, such as
USB memory stick, floppy disk, etc.

</quote>

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: