Cannot copy. files on this CD are read only

..OK the last issue I had was I could not copy due to write protection .for
some mysterious reason I now have this message ..".cannot copy. Files on this
Cd are read only, you can copy new files to this writable CD,which will
replace files on the CD." Ok My old and new computers have the same programs
etc ,including Nero.My old computer all I have to do is Click on any of my
files scroll down to SEND TO..and click Cd drive ..The CD wizard tells me I
have files to be written , I click write files and it is done . For some
reason my new computer won't do this , as I said first it was write protected
and now read only .Microsoft will not help ,they pass me onto a tech line at
$45 pr call .NO WAY !!! I really don't understand why I can't click and send
to ..without issues . My only solution might be to format and start over
..this is really pissing me off .Any ideas here ...Thanks

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Ian Taylor wrote:

> .OK the last issue I had was I could not copy due to write protection .for
> some mysterious reason I now have this message ..".cannot copy. Files on this
> Cd are read only, you can copy new files to this writable CD,which will
> replace files on the CD." Ok My old and new computers have the same programs
> etc ,including Nero.My old computer all I have to do is Click on any of my
> files scroll down to SEND TO..and click Cd drive ..The CD wizard tells me I
> have files to be written , I click write files and it is done . For some
> reason my new computer won't do this , as I said first it was write protected
> and now read only .Microsoft will not help ,they pass me onto a tech line at
> $45 pr call .NO WAY !!! I really don't understand why I can't click and send
> to ..without issues . My only solution might be to format and start over
> .this is really pissing me off .Any ideas here ...Thanks

Check to see if the Imapi CD Burning Com Service is started in Start |
Run | Services.msc

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Ian Taylor wrote:
> .OK the last issue I had was I could not copy due to write protection
> .for some mysterious reason I now have this message ..".cannot copy.
> Files on this Cd are read only, you can copy new files to this
> writable CD,which will replace files on the CD." Ok My old and new
> computers have the same programs etc ,including Nero.My old computer
> all I have to do is Click on any of my files scroll down to SEND
> TO..and click Cd drive ..The CD wizard tells me I have files to be
> written , I click write files and it is done . For some reason my new
> computer won't do this , as I said first it was write protected and
> now read only .Microsoft will not help ,they pass me onto a tech line
> at $45 pr call .NO WAY !!! I really don't understand why I can't
> click and send to ..without issues . My only solution might be to
> format and start over .this is really pissing me off .Any ideas here

It's $35. (Pretty sure - unless they went up.)
You mentioned Nero..
My bet is you disabled the Windows XP method of writng to CDs with Nero
InCD.

Anyway - learn all about how Windows XP writes to CDs here:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Ian Taylor wrote:
> > .OK the last issue I had was I could not copy due to write protection
> > .for some mysterious reason I now have this message ..".cannot copy.
> > Files on this Cd are read only, you can copy new files to this
> > writable CD,which will replace files on the CD." Ok My old and new
> > computers have the same programs etc ,including Nero.My old computer
> > all I have to do is Click on any of my files scroll down to SEND
> > TO..and click Cd drive ..The CD wizard tells me I have files to be
> > written , I click write files and it is done . For some reason my new
> > computer won't do this , as I said first it was write protected and
> > now read only .Microsoft will not help ,they pass me onto a tech line
> > at $45 pr call .NO WAY !!! I really don't understand why I can't
> > click and send to ..without issues . My only solution might be to
> > format and start over .this is really pissing me off .Any ideas here
>
> It's $35. (Pretty sure - unless they went up.)
> You mentioned Nero..
> My bet is you disabled the Windows XP method of writng to CDs with Nero
> InCD.
>
> Anyway - learn all about how Windows XP writes to CDs here:
> http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
>

> Thanks this might be the issue , I cannot think of any thing else , Although I didn't install the InCD it may have done so when Nero was updated I beleive .
As to the IMAPI, it is the same on both computers. I tried starting just to
see if it may make a difference ..NOPE.
I will lpay with it and let everyoine know what the result is ...Many Thanks
....Ian