Cannot Run "Help and Support" Function

I am unable to open the Help & Support option within XP. When I try to
access it through the Startup Menu, I receive the following:

"Windows cannot find 'helpctr.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly,
and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start Button, and then
click Search."

I searched my hard drive for the 'helpctr.exe' but did not find it. The
only files that came up were 'HELPCTR.EXE-3862NB6F5.pf' and 'Helpctr.exe.000'.
Neither of the files helped

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Yedgee wrote:

> I am unable to open the Help & Support option within XP. When I try to
> access it through the Startup Menu, I receive the following:
>
> "Windows cannot find 'helpctr.exe'. Make sure you typed the name
> correctly,
> and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start Button, and
> then click Search."
>
> I searched my hard drive for the 'helpctr.exe' but did not find it. The
> only files that came up were 'HELPCTR.EXE-3862NB6F5.pf' and
> 'Helpctr.exe.000'. Neither of the files helped
>
> Please help.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Don't sweat it. Besides Microsoft's dancing Paper Clip, the next most
useless thing M$ has come up with is their "help" system. You certainly
aren't missing anything by not being able to access it. Unless of course
you have a question and want to go on the MickeyMouse Merry-Go-Round, that
they call a help system.

The fact it has stopped working should be considered a blessing and will
save you many hours of frustration and pretty much useless help.

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

Why doesn't Help and Support work?

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Yedgee wrote:

> I am unable to open the Help & Support option within XP. When I try to
> access it through the Startup Menu, I receive the following:
>
> "Windows cannot find 'helpctr.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly,
> and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start Button, and then
> click Search."
>
> I searched my hard drive for the 'helpctr.exe' but did not find it. The
> only files that came up were 'HELPCTR.EXE-3862NB6F5.pf' and 'Helpctr.exe.000'.
> Neither of the files helped
>
> Please help.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Try this from Start, Run:

%systemroot%\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\HelpCtr.exe

If the file is missing, open %systemroot%\inf folder and locate the
PCHealth.inf file (might show as PCHealth in W.Explorer). Right-click the
file and choose "Install". Insert your XP CD when prompted.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 05:12:51 GMT, NoStop <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote:

>Yedgee wrote:
>
>> I am unable to open the Help & Support option within XP. When I try to
>> access it through the Startup Menu, I receive the following:
>>
>> "Windows cannot find 'helpctr.exe'. Make sure you typed the name
>> correctly,
>> and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start Button, and
>> then click Search."
>>
>> I searched my hard drive for the 'helpctr.exe' but did not find it. The
>> only files that came up were 'HELPCTR.EXE-3862NB6F5.pf' and
>> 'Helpctr.exe.000'. Neither of the files helped
>>
>> Please help.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>
>Don't sweat it. Besides Microsoft's dancing Paper Clip, the next most
>useless thing M$ has come up with is their "help" system. You certainly
>aren't missing anything by not being able to access it. Unless of course
>you have a question and want to go on the MickeyMouse Merry-Go-Round, that
>they call a help system.
>
>The fact it has stopped working should be considered a blessing and will
>save you many hours of frustration and pretty much useless help.

So has spoken the grumpy Linux bastard.

Will you ever answer my question: Why do you post here?

NobodyMan wrote:

>>The fact it has stopped working should be considered a blessing and will
>>save you many hours of frustration and pretty much useless help.
>
> So has spoken the grumpy Linux bastard.
>
> Will you ever answer my question: Why do you post here?

Don't read my posts if you don't like them. Now piss off.

--

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 03:41:37 GMT, NoStop <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote:

>NobodyMan wrote:
>
>>>The fact it has stopped working should be considered a blessing and will
>>>save you many hours of frustration and pretty much useless help.
>>
>> So has spoken the grumpy Linux bastard.
>>
>> Will you ever answer my question: Why do you post here?
>
>Don't read my posts if you don't like them. Now piss off.

I'll go piss off after you answer my question, grumpy. If you are so
anit-windows and so pro-linux, why do you post here?