Does this make me an evil dragon?

Cats.

The furry ones with for (spelling adapted to american custom) feet and 1-2
eyes. And definitely with a mind of their own.

Whenever our specimen (Pascal, named after the language) wants to go out,
he prefers first to stand inside, with the door open, scanning the
environment. For a veeery loooong time.

Especially in winter his feeder-beings are not too happy about that. But
if we start pushing him, or lifting him outside, he gets angry and hisses
at us, and we don't want to enrage our for-legged friend. I have therefore
found another solution. He doesn't like the vacuum cleaner, and it happens
to stand close to the door (this is my way of honoring the american
constitution, one of your amendments say you should have a vacuum cleaner
in your basement) (No, I'm not crazy, but you may be uneducated).

So I fetch the cleaner (or rather the hose - we have a central vacuum
cleaner - don't know how to say it in english). And there goes the cat.
Until know he hasn't made the connection. Stupid cat, we really should
have called him COBOL.

Does this make me an evil person?

pibbur

pibbur wrote:
> (this is my way of honoring
> the american constitution, one of your amendments say you should have a
> vacuum cleaner in your basement) (No, I'm not crazy, but you may be
> uneducated).

DOTT?

--

Witty Dragon

On Thu, 26 May 2005 17:07:17 +0200, Witty Dragon <ten.nigriv@yttiw.luap>
wrote:

> pibbur wrote:
> > (this is my way of honoring
>> the american constitution, one of your amendments say you should have
>> a vacuum cleaner in your basement) (No, I'm not crazy, but you may be
>> uneducated).
>
> DOTT?

DOTT

pibbur

thehawk

Distinguished
May 19, 2003

pibbur wrote:
> Cats.
>
> The furry ones with for (spelling adapted to american custom) feet and
> 1-2 eyes. And definitely with a mind of their own.

If you do not like the 'mind of their own' part, try getting a dog next
time instead.

> Whenever our specimen (Pascal, named after the language) wants to go
> out, he prefers first to stand inside, with the door open, scanning
> the environment. For a veeery loooong time.
>
> Especially in winter his feeder-beings are not too happy about that.
> But if we start pushing him, or lifting him outside, he gets angry and
> hisses at us, and we don't want to enrage our for-legged friend. I have
> therefore found another solution. He doesn't like the vacuum cleaner,
> and it happens to stand close to the door (this is my way of honoring

I use a squirt bottle of water, of which I have several stragically
located thruout the house, but to each their own.

> the american constitution, one of your amendments say you should have a
> vacuum cleaner in your basement) (No, I'm not crazy, but you may be
> uneducated).

Uhm, to which 'America' are you referring? There are two to two and a
half of them (depending on who you ask).

> So I fetch the cleaner (or rather the hose - we have a central vacuum
> cleaner - don't know how to say it in english). And there goes the cat.
> Until know he hasn't made the connection. Stupid cat, we really should
> have called him COBOL.

There are far, far, worse things than COBOL. BASH scripting for example.

> Does this make me an evil person?

No, but just being a person makes you evil.

> pibbur

-thehawk
Fallen Angel Dragon, UDIC

On Thu, 26 May 2005 18:23:59 -0700, thehawk <thehawk5150at@hotmaildot.com>
wrote:

>pibbur wrote:
>> Cats.
>>
>> The furry ones with for (spelling adapted to american custom) feet and
>> 1-2 eyes. And definitely with a mind of their own.
>
>If you do not like the 'mind of their own' part, try getting a dog next
>time instead.

Or a pet rock.

Dog or rock - one eats its own poop and then wants to cuddle, the other
stubs your toe. Both are better off at the bottom of a quarry.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Pibbur Dragon the Righteous Superlative Retainer of Virtue wrote:
>So I fetch the cleaner (or rather the hose - we have a central vacuum
>cleaner - don't know how to say it in english).

First usually in English (AFAIK) one abreviates vacuum cleaner as
vaccum (you can even shorten it to vac) rather than cleaner. Saying
cleaner implies to me first a person who does cleaning then a chemical
with which one cleans and only as a last resort a cleaning implement
of some kind and thence by context to the implement in question.

I would be tempted to say that the proper term for centralized vacuum
pumping is central vac or (as justed suggested by an equally unsure
colleague) central vacuum system, but I am not sure. My parents have
such a setup, but perhaps there is actually no English word for it
(the manufacturers must call it something).

On a tangent, my parents also tend to call vacuum cleaners Hoovers,
due to the prominence of that brand (at least in the England of their
youth) and also use hoover as a verb meaning to clean with a vacuum
cleaner (vacuum is another verb for cleaning in this way). I note that
hoover as a synonym vacuum cleaner at dictionary.reference.com. Other
synonyms are carpet sweeper and vacuum sweeper.
--
d e+ N- T- Om++ UK!1!2!3!4!56A78!9 u uC uF- uG+ uLB+ uA nC nR nH+ nP
nI+ nPT nS+ nT- y- a26, Captain in the Cinnaguard, Weirdo, Blue Bow

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Quoth Saint George's Dragon <firstname_lastname@yahoo.ca>:
> Pibbur Dragon the Righteous Superlative Retainer of Virtue wrote:
> First usually in English (AFAIK) one abreviates vacuum cleaner as
> vaccum (you can even shorten it to vac) rather than cleaner.

Not spelled like that, you don't. >:) And it isn't just you're parents
-- nearly everyone in Britain calls it a Hoover. Carpet sweepers are
distinct though, at least in Britain. They're the manually powered
cleaning devices with rotary brushes that spin purely through the
action of the wheels across the floor.

> I would be tempted to say that the proper term for centralized vacuum
> pumping is central vac or (as justed suggested by an equally unsure
> colleague) central vacuum system, but I am not sure. My parents have
> such a setup, but perhaps there is actually no English word for it
> (the manufacturers must call it something).

I've never even heard of such a device. <:)
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

thehawk

Distinguished
May 19, 2003

Samurai wrote:
> Quoth Saint George's Dragon <firstname_lastname@yahoo.ca>:
>
>>Pibbur Dragon the Righteous Superlative Retainer of Virtue wrote:

>>First usually in English (AFAIK) one abreviates vacuum cleaner as
>>vaccum (you can even shorten it to vac) rather than cleaner.
>

> Not spelled like that, you don't. >:) And it isn't just you're parents
> -- nearly everyone in Britain calls it a Hoover. Carpet sweepers are
> distinct though, at least in Britain. They're the manually powered
> cleaning devices with rotary brushes that spin purely through the
> action of the wheels across the floor.
>

>>I would be tempted to say that the proper term for centralized vacuum
>>pumping is central vac or (as justed suggested by an equally unsure
>>colleague) central vacuum system, but I am not sure. My parents have
>>such a setup, but perhaps there is actually no English word for it
>>(the manufacturers must call it something).
>

> I've never even heard of such a device. <:)

They are awesome. If I ever get another house, I am definitely putting
that stuff in. Then you just have to move around the hose and plug it in.

-thehawk
Fallen Angel Dragon, UDIC

On Thu, 26 May 2005 18:26:22 -0700, thehawk <thehawk5150at@hotmaildot.com>
wrote:

>They are awesome. If I ever get another house, I am definitely putting
>that stuff in. Then you just have to move around the hose and plug it in.

I have a central vacuum system in one of my houses. It's from the 50s
though. I think the new ones probably work better. They're an option in
a lot of houses now, kind of like central air and heat.

--

On Fri, 27 May 2005 00:55:57 +0100, Samurai <Samurai@dev.nul> wrote:

>Quoth Saint George's Dragon <firstname_lastname@yahoo.ca>:
>> Pibbur Dragon the Righteous Superlative Retainer of Virtue wrote:
>> First usually in English (AFAIK) one abreviates vacuum cleaner as
>> vaccum (you can even shorten it to vac) rather than cleaner.
>
>Not spelled like that, you don't. >:) And it isn't just you're parents
>-- nearly everyone in Britain calls it a Hoover. Carpet sweepers are
>distinct though, at least in Britain. They're the manually powered
>cleaning devices with rotary brushes that spin purely through the
>action of the wheels across the floor.
For some unknown reason those can be called hokies here.

>> I would be tempted to say that the proper term for centralized vacuum
>> pumping is central vac or (as justed suggested by an equally unsure
>> colleague) central vacuum system, but I am not sure. My parents have
>> such a setup, but perhaps there is actually no English word for it
>> (the manufacturers must call it something).
>
>I've never even heard of such a device. <:)
I know several people that have such appliances. There is a big vac
unit in the garage, and pipes run to every room with covers over the
holes that you plug the hose into. When you open the cover to plug in
the hose, the vac unit activates and you just move a hose and wand
about. Very useful when you get a wasp in the house. Thwipp! he's in
the garage!
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
-Alfred E. Neumann

"Samurai" <Samurai@dev.nul> wrote:

> I think our Norwegian chum should give some consideration to installing
> a cat-flap... :)

What about Filthy and Rich?

--
zhentil

Eek! pibbur <oopsREMOVETHISANDxx.000xx@tele2xx.xxno> wrote:
> Cats.
<snip>
> So I fetch the cleaner (or rather the hose - we have a central vacuum
> cleaner - don't know how to say it in english). And there goes the cat.
> Until know he hasn't made the connection. Stupid cat, we really should
> have called him COBOL.
>
> Does this make me an evil person?

What do you mean by "there goes the cat"? Did you kill your cat with a
central vac?

--
Ashikaga a27

On Fri, 27 May 2005 05:28:55 +0200, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Eek! pibbur <oopsREMOVETHISANDxx.000xx@tele2xx.xxno> wrote:
>> Cats.
> <snip>
>> So I fetch the cleaner (or rather the hose - we have a central vacuum
>> cleaner - don't know how to say it in english). And there goes the cat.
>> Until know he hasn't made the connection. Stupid cat, we really should
>> have called him COBOL.
>>
>> Does this make me an evil person?
>
> What do you mean by "there goes the cat"? Did you kill your cat with a
> central vac?

No, don't think so. Not unless the version who comes back, wants to eat
and the sit on my lap (-top as well) is a ghost.

pibbu

On Fri, 27 May 2005 03:23:59 +0200, thehawk <thehawk5150at@hotmaildot.com>
wrote:

> pibbur wrote:
>> Cats.
,,,
> Uhm, to which 'America' are you referring? There are two to two and a
> half of them (depending on who you ask).

The USA.

>> So I fetch the cleaner (or rather the hose - we have a central vacuum
>> cleaner - don't know how to say it in english). And there goes the
>> cat. Until know he hasn't made the connection. Stupid cat, we really
>> should have called him COBOL.
>
> There are far, far, worse things than COBOL. BASH scripting for example.

And LISP

>> Does this make me an evil person?
>
> No, but just being a person makes you evil.

That explains it.

pibbr

On Fri, 27 May 2005 00:03:56 +0200, Saint George's Dragon
<firstname_lastname@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Pibbur Dragon the Righteous Superlative Retainer of Virtue wrote:
>> So I fetch the cleaner (or rather the hose - we have a central vacuum
>> cleaner - don't know how to say it in english).
>
> First usually in English (AFAIK) one abreviates vacuum cleaner as
> vaccum (you can even shorten it to vac) rather than cleaner. Saying
> cleaner implies to me first a person who does cleaning then a chemical
> with which one cleans and only as a last resort a cleaning implement
> of some kind and thence by context to the implement in question.
>
> I would be tempted to say that the proper term for centralized vacuum
> pumping is central vac or (as justed suggested by an equally unsure
> colleague) central vacuum system, but I am not sure. My parents have
> such a setup, but perhaps there is actually no English word for it
> (the manufacturers must call it something).
>
> On a tangent, my parents also tend to call vacuum cleaners Hoovers,
> due to the prominence of that brand (at least in the England of their
> youth) and also use hoover as a verb meaning to clean with a vacuum
> cleaner (vacuum is another verb for cleaning in this way). I note that
> hoover as a synonym vacuum cleaner at dictionary.reference.com. Other
> synonyms are carpet sweeper and vacuum sweeper.

Thank you for the explanation.

pibbur

On Fri, 27 May 2005 03:26:22 +0200, thehawk <thehawk5150at@hotmaildot.com>
wrote:

> Samurai wrote:
>> Quoth Saint George's Dragon <firstname_lastname@yahoo.ca>:
>>
>>> Pibbur Dragon the Righteous Superlative Retainer of Virtue wrote:
>>
>>> First usually in English (AFAIK) one abreviates vacuum cleaner as
>>> vaccum (you can even shorten it to vac) rather than cleaner.
>> Not spelled like that, you don't. >:) And it isn't just you're
>> parents -- nearly everyone in Britain calls it a Hoover. Carpet
>> sweepers are distinct though, at least in Britain. They're the
>> manually powered cleaning devices with rotary brushes that spin purely
>> through the action of the wheels across the floor.
>>
>>> I would be tempted to say that the proper term for centralized vacuum
>>> pumping is central vac or (as justed suggested by an equally unsure
>>> colleague) central vacuum system, but I am not sure. My parents have
>>> such a setup, but perhaps there is actually no English word for it
>>> (the manufacturers must call it something).
>> I've never even heard of such a device. <:)
>
> They are awesome. If I ever get another house, I am definitely putting
> that stuff in. Then you just have to move around the hose and plug it
> in.

And the dust are actually removed from the house, not just redistributed.

pibbur

Words to the wise, pibbur <oopsREMOVETHISANDxx.xx000@tele2xx.xxno>
wrote:

>The problem with cat flaps is that other cats may enter the house as well.
>There are of course cat flaps which respond only to your particular
>specimen, but these require the cat to wear a necklace, which our refuses.
>And he knows how to remove it.

Oh, what is the problem with other cats in the house?

Words to the wise, thehawk <thehawk5150at@hotmaildot.com> wrote:

>There are far, far, worse things than COBOL. BASH scripting for example.

'`´ - which one to use right now? Seriously, if you have BASH then you
have CSH or TCSH as well.

On Fri, 27 May 2005 17:18:07 +0200, Claus Dragon
<claus@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:

> Words to the wise, pibbur <oopsREMOVETHISANDxx.xx000@tele2xx.xxno>
> wrote:
>
>> The problem with cat flaps is that other cats may enter the house as
>> well.
>> There are of course cat flaps which respond only to your particular
>> specimen, but these require the cat to wear a necklace, which our
>> refuses.
>> And he knows how to remove it.
>
> Oh, what is the problem with other cats in the house?

The main reason is that our cat HATES other cats.

All those dead cats would make a terrible mess and smell (especially those
we can't find).

pibbur

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Quoth thehawk <thehawk5150at@hotmaildot.com>:
> They are awesome. If I ever get another house, I am definitely putting
> that stuff in. Then you just have to move around the hose and plug it in.

I understood the principle from the context. I was just entirely
unaware people were so lazy, they couldn't carry a vacuum cleaner from
one room to another. ;)
\^\^//

On Fri, 27 May 2005 22:08:04 +0100, Samurai <Samurai@dev.nul> wrote:

>Quoth thehawk <thehawk5150at@hotmaildot.com>:
>> They are awesome. If I ever get another house, I am definitely putting
>> that stuff in. Then you just have to move around the hose and plug it in.
>
>I understood the principle from the context. I was just entirely
>unaware people were so lazy, they couldn't carry a vacuum cleaner from
>one room to another. ;)

It's not laziness - you still have to lug a hose and the motorized sweeper
unit around. It just makes it easier to collect all the dirt and dust in
one area and helps prevent any of the particulate matter from being
redistributed into the living areas.

--

Quoth pibbur <oopsREMOVETHISANDxx.xx000@tele2xx.xxno>:
> The problem with cat flaps is that other cats may enter the house as well.
> There are of course cat flaps which respond only to your particular
> specimen, but these require the cat to wear a necklace, which our refuses.
> And he knows how to remove it.

Ah. If you know there are other cats in the neighbourhood who'll use
your cat-door, that does make things rather more difficult. Still, the
latest electronic catflaps respond to microchips -- I'm sure it won't
be long, given the increasing trend of chipping pets, that someone will
make a catflap that can be programmed to respond to the one under their
skin.

In the meantime, though, looks like you're still the doorman. :)
\^\^//

On Fri, 27 May 2005 22:10:31 +0100, Samurai <Samurai@dev.nul> wrote:

>Quoth pibbur <oopsREMOVETHISANDxx.xx000@tele2xx.xxno>:
>> The problem with cat flaps is that other cats may enter the house as well.
>> There are of course cat flaps which respond only to your particular
>> specimen, but these require the cat to wear a necklace, which our refuses.
>> And he knows how to remove it.
>
>Ah. If you know there are other cats in the neighbourhood who'll use
>your cat-door, that does make things rather more difficult. Still, the
>latest electronic catflaps respond to microchips -- I'm sure it won't
>be long, given the increasing trend of chipping pets, that someone will
>make a catflap that can be programmed to respond to the one under their
>skin.
>
>In the meantime, though, looks like you're still the doorman. :)

Or you could just kill (perhaps with the central vacuum system) any
foreign animals that dare to intrude into your pet's domain.

--

Words to the wise, Samurai <Samurai@dev.nul> wrote:

>In the meantime, though, looks like you're still the doorman. :)

But aint it fun? I love it when our cat comes running meowing to the
door and then starts to purr and be friendly in general. Even if its
2am.

Words to the wise, Samurai <Samurai@dev.nul> wrote:

>Quoth thehawk <thehawk5150at@hotmaildot.com>:
>> They are awesome. If I ever get another house, I am definitely putting
>> that stuff in. Then you just have to move around the hose and plug it in.
>
>I understood the principle from the context. I was just entirely
>unaware people were so lazy, they couldn't carry a vacuum cleaner from
>one room to another. ;)

Sounds like another source of energy waste.