Running Win XP SP1. Computer works excellent even after this question.
About every 20th bootup of the computer I get this blue screen with several
paragraphs about memory, graphics cards, etc. Then Something like this:

STOP: ox0000008E--0xC00005--0x804EB168--0xAA9A8868 and a few more. Then at
the bottom of the screen a message that says:
Beginning Dump of Physical Memory and a clock that clicks off seconds. I
have waited several time till the clock hits about 30 seconds and then I have
turned off the computer and rebooted with no apparent probl4ems. The computer
continues working great til the next time tghis same screen happens.
What on earth could this be ??? I'm not a newbie and consider myself around
8 on a scale of 1 to 10. All security programs running O.K. and other
"adaware" and "Spybot" programs show all O.K.

Thanks for any comments or information
Redwagon

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

REDWAGON wrote:

> Running Win XP SP1. Computer works excellent even after this question.
> About every 20th bootup of the computer I get this blue screen with several
> paragraphs about memory, graphics cards, etc. Then Something like this:
>
> STOP: ox0000008E--0xC00005--0x804EB168--0xAA9A8868 and a few more. Then at
> the bottom of the screen a message that says:
> Beginning Dump of Physical Memory and a clock that clicks off seconds. I
> have waited several time till the clock hits about 30 seconds and then I have
> turned off the computer and rebooted with no apparent probl4ems. The computer
> continues working great til the next time tghis same screen happens.
> What on earth could this be ??? I'm not a newbie and consider myself around
> 8 on a scale of 1 to 10. All security programs running O.K. and other
> "adaware" and "Spybot" programs show all O.K.
>
> Thanks for any comments or information
> Redwagon

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Thanks again ssg and Rock for your suggestions and sites where I might find
an answer to my problem. Well, after checking and reading your suggested
sites, I downloaded a system memory check program as suggested and ran it
through the "A" floppy drive at bootup in DOS mode. I have never had the
occasion to run such a test before but was intregued by all of the different
checks it makes. It went through 8 separate tests that took it seemed like
forever (about 20 minutes to complete the battery of tests to 100% for all of
the 1023MB of RAM I have). After it had completed the tests, everything
showed passing 100%. Just re-booted into XP and again everything appears O.K.
(that is until maybe in another 20 boot ups or so when I will probably get
the same screen).

I guess I'm back to step one now, as I will probably just set the all of the
regedit HKLM_system\currentcontrolset\control\crashControl listings to (0)
instead of (1) and see what happens. Unless anyone can tell me what terrible
problems could be caused doing this.

Any other suggestions are certainly welcomed.
Redwagon

"Rock" wrote:

> REDWAGON wrote:
>
> > Running Win XP SP1. Computer works excellent even after this question.
> > About every 20th bootup of the computer I get this blue screen with several
> > paragraphs about memory, graphics cards, etc. Then Something like this:
> >
> > STOP: ox0000008E--0xC00005--0x804EB168--0xAA9A8868 and a few more. Then at
> > the bottom of the screen a message that says:
> > Beginning Dump of Physical Memory and a clock that clicks off seconds. I
> > have waited several time till the clock hits about 30 seconds and then I have
> > turned off the computer and rebooted with no apparent probl4ems. The computer
> > continues working great til the next time tghis same screen happens.
> > What on earth could this be ??? I'm not a newbie and consider myself around
> > 8 on a scale of 1 to 10. All security programs running O.K. and other
> > "adaware" and "Spybot" programs show all O.K.
> >
> > Thanks for any comments or information
> > Redwagon
>
> http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
> 0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

REDWAGON wrote:

> Thanks again ssg and Rock for your suggestions and sites where I might find
> an answer to my problem. Well, after checking and reading your suggested
> sites, I downloaded a system memory check program as suggested and ran it
> through the "A" floppy drive at bootup in DOS mode. I have never had the
> occasion to run such a test before but was intregued by all of the different
> checks it makes. It went through 8 separate tests that took it seemed like
> forever (about 20 minutes to complete the battery of tests to 100% for all of
> the 1023MB of RAM I have). After it had completed the tests, everything
> showed passing 100%. Just re-booted into XP and again everything appears O.K.
> (that is until maybe in another 20 boot ups or so when I will probably get
> the same screen).
>
> I guess I'm back to step one now, as I will probably just set the all of the
> regedit HKLM_system\currentcontrolset\control\crashControl listings to (0)
> instead of (1) and see what happens. Unless anyone can tell me what terrible
> problems could be caused doing this.
>
> Any other suggestions are certainly welcomed.
> Redwagon
>

> "Rock" wrote:
>

>>REDWAGON wrote:
>>

>>>Running Win XP SP1. Computer works excellent even after this question.
>>>About every 20th bootup of the computer I get this blue screen with several
>>>paragraphs about memory, graphics cards, etc. Then Something like this:
>>>
>>>STOP: ox0000008E--0xC00005--0x804EB168--0xAA9A8868 and a few more. Then at
>>>the bottom of the screen a message that says:
>>>Beginning Dump of Physical Memory and a clock that clicks off seconds. I
>>>have waited several time till the clock hits about 30 seconds and then I have
>>>turned off the computer and rebooted with no apparent probl4ems. The computer
>>>continues working great til the next time tghis same screen happens.
>>>What on earth could this be ??? I'm not a newbie and consider myself around
>>>8 on a scale of 1 to 10. All security programs running O.K. and other
>>>"adaware" and "Spybot" programs show all O.K.
>>>
>>>Thanks for any comments or information
>>>Redwagon
>>
>>http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
>>0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
>>
>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Memory diagnostics should be run overnight, not just for 20 minutes, and
you should use at least two different tools. In addition to the MS one
run memtest86+ from here: http://www.memtest.org/

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Check your RAM.
This is likely to be a faulty or incompatible RAM issue.

Free diagnostic tools are available here:-

Windows Memory Diagnostic
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

http://www.memtest.org/

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

REDWAGON wrote:

> Running Win XP SP1. Computer works excellent even after this question.
> About every 20th bootup of the computer I get this blue screen with several
> paragraphs about memory, graphics cards, etc. Then Something like this:
>
> STOP: ox0000008E--0xC00005--0x804EB168--0xAA9A8868 and a few more. Then at
> the bottom of the screen a message that says:
> Beginning Dump of Physical Memory and a clock that clicks off seconds. I
> have waited several time till the clock hits about 30 seconds and then I have
> turned off the computer and rebooted with no apparent probl4ems. The computer
> continues working great til the next time tghis same screen happens.
> What on earth could this be ??? I'm not a newbie and consider myself around
> 8 on a scale of 1 to 10. All security programs running O.K. and other
> "adaware" and "Spybot" programs show all O.K.
>
> Thanks for any comments or information
> Redwagon

Thanks for the suggestions for checking my RAM memory. I have definitely
ruled out any type of virus etc. And I apologize for not giving a little more
information. All of my hardware is the latest, has the latest firmware
updates etc. (HD, DVD & CD-R, video card, sound card etc.) The memory is
"Crucial". 1 each 512 MB and 2 each 256MB and in the proper slots per MB
directions. (PC2700 DDR).
I also checked with Microsoft under this category and ran regedit and at the
following: HKLM_system\currentcontrolset\control\crashControl, I found
several D-Word listing: CrashDumpEnabled (1)--LogEvent (1)--Overwrite
(1)--AutoBoot (1)--SendAlert (1). All of them had the (1) setting.

Is there any reason why I can't just modify the D-Word listings to show (0)
?. Or will this cause some other problems ?

Appreciate your reply.
Redwagon...(Haven't run any diagnostic tests on Memory yet but will do so
and get back with any answers).

"REDWAGON" <REDWAGON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Running Win XP SP1. Computer works excellent even after this question.
>About every 20th bootup of the computer I get this blue screen with several
>paragraphs about memory, graphics cards, etc. Then Something like this:
>
>STOP: ox0000008E--0xC00005--0x804EB168--0xAA9A8868 and a few more. Then at
>the bottom of the screen a message that says:
>Beginning Dump of Physical Memory and a clock that clicks off seconds. I
>have waited several time till the clock hits about 30 seconds and then I have
>turned off the computer and rebooted with no apparent probl4ems. The computer
>continues working great til the next time tghis same screen happens.
>What on earth could this be ??? I'm not a newbie and consider myself around
>8 on a scale of 1 to 10. All security programs running O.K. and other
>"adaware" and "Spybot" programs show all O.K.
>
>Thanks for any comments or information
>Redwagon

Did you make any changes in the computer hardware or software (device
drivers in particular) at the same time as this problem began? If so
try updating the drivers for the new hardware, or rolling back any
recently updated drivers to the previous version.

Check with the computer/motherboard manufacturer's web site for any
available BIOS updates for your specific model.

Have you tried upgrading to Service Pack 2? You should, but perhaps
not until this problem has been resolved. Upgrades to Service Pack 2
sometimes go better if they are done with the full download (265 mb)
rather than by using Windows Update.

Download the full SP2 version from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
or order a free CD from Microsoft