speakers for NAd 320bee

Last response: in Home Audio
May 4, 2005 4:12:56 AM

Hello,

I'm going to biuld an entry-level system, and almost decided on
NAD 320BEE and NAD 521BEE as source and amp.

Which speakers would you recommend for this setup? Our local shops
do not carry many brands, so I may be very limited in choice or
else have to buy them unauditioned.

Among what I've seen here are MS, Tannoy (Fusion, Sensys), Audio Pro,
Wharfedale, B&W.

Musical preferences: classic (symphonic, chamber), prog, art rock,
female vocals.

I'd like to keep it about $500, if possible ;)

BTW, if there's something better for the money than NADs, I'll consider
it (they both cost about $300 each here)

Thanks a lot
Alex

More about : speakers nad 320bee

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 7:24:51 AM

finest...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm going to biuld an entry-level system, and almost decided on
> NAD 320BEE and NAD 521BEE as source and amp.
>
> Which speakers would you recommend for this setup? Our local shops
> do not carry many brands, so I may be very limited in choice or
> else have to buy them unauditioned.
>
> Among what I've seen here are MS, Tannoy (Fusion, Sensys), Audio Pro,
> Wharfedale, B&W.
>
> Musical preferences: classic (symphonic, chamber), prog, art rock,
> female vocals.
>
> I'd like to keep it about $500, if possible ;)
>
> BTW, if there's something better for the money than NADs, I'll
consider
> it (they both cost about $300 each here)

First off, don't think about this as "speakers for this setup." The
320BEE can't drive every speaker out there, but it can probably drive
just about every decent speaker in your price range. The real issue
with speakers is whether they sound good in your room. When you've made
a tentative decision, try to take them home on trial.

Second, you probably can't do much better for $300 than the 320BEE,
amp-wise. But given your limited budget, I would suggest foregoing the
NAD CD player in favor of a simple DVD player. I've had occasion to use
an $80 Panasonic DVD player in my system, and it sounded fine. That
would give you an extra $200 to put toward speakers, which will give
you more options.

As for speakers, they are very much a matter of individual taste, and
you need to figure out what your taste is. Yes, it's easier to get
someone to tell you that Brand X is the best, but asking on the Web
will get you such a long list of Brand Xs that you'll be back where you
started from. So start listening yourself; you'll be much happier in
the end. That said, two companies with a reputation for value in the
sub-$1k range are Paradigm and PSB, and I would recommend seeking them
out, even if you have to venture somewhat afield.

bob
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 3:20:09 AM

<nabob33@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:D 59fa302aev@news3.newsguy.com...
> finest...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm going to biuld an entry-level system, and almost decided on
> > NAD 320BEE and NAD 521BEE as source and amp.
> >
> > Which speakers would you recommend for this setup? Our local shops
> > do not carry many brands, so I may be very limited in choice or
> > else have to buy them unauditioned.
> >
> > Among what I've seen here are MS, Tannoy (Fusion, Sensys), Audio Pro,
> > Wharfedale, B&W.
> >
> > Musical preferences: classic (symphonic, chamber), prog, art rock,
> > female vocals.
> >
> > I'd like to keep it about $500, if possible ;)
> >
> > BTW, if there's something better for the money than NADs, I'll
> consider
> > it (they both cost about $300 each here)
>
> First off, don't think about this as "speakers for this setup." The
> 320BEE can't drive every speaker out there, but it can probably drive
> just about every decent speaker in your price range. The real issue
> with speakers is whether they sound good in your room. When you've made
> a tentative decision, try to take them home on trial.
>
> Second, you probably can't do much better for $300 than the 320BEE,
> amp-wise. But given your limited budget, I would suggest foregoing the
> NAD CD player in favor of a simple DVD player. I've had occasion to use
> an $80 Panasonic DVD player in my system, and it sounded fine. That
> would give you an extra $200 to put toward speakers, which will give
> you more options.
>
> As for speakers, they are very much a matter of individual taste, and
> you need to figure out what your taste is. Yes, it's easier to get
> someone to tell you that Brand X is the best, but asking on the Web
> will get you such a long list of Brand Xs that you'll be back where you
> started from. So start listening yourself; you'll be much happier in
> the end. That said, two companies with a reputation for value in the
> sub-$1k range are Paradigm and PSB, and I would recommend seeking them
> out, even if you have to venture somewhat afield.

I'll add two things.

The Pioneer 578 is an excellent "universal" machine (plays SACD and DVD-A
and MP3's and video files) as well as CD's. It's sound is excellent and it
has one of the most reliable transports around. And it only costs $130.

And I'd add Epos to your speaker list. Their Epos 3 is a fine little
speaker that some people prefer to the small Paradigms and PSB's. And they
make a pretty good subwoofer to match.
May 5, 2005 3:23:40 AM

http://www.nadelectronics.com/hifi_amplifiers/C320BEE_c...
http://www.hifi4less.com/NAD_C_320BEE_Amplifier.htm

> BTW, if there's something better for the money than NADs, I'll consider
> it (they both cost about $300 each here)

You can replace the CD player by an universal player (CD,DVD-Audio,SACD)
like the Pioneer DV-578A, which costs less than $150 on-line. I think
the only disadvantage is that it might make more mechanical noise than
a CD player (or it might not if the CD player uses a CD-ROM internally).

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,...

For less than $300 you can buy a multichannel receiver like the Yamaha
RX-V457 (~$235.00 online) which has more power (6x85W versus 2x 50W),
digital inputs, etc. But check if it has enough inputs for what you want.

You can configure it to use only 2 speakers and/or later buy more speakers.

http://yamaha-hifi.de/index.php?lang=e&country=PT&idcat...
http://www.parkaveelectronics.com/product.asp?itemid=YA...
http://www.ezhotdeal.com/catalog/catalog.asp?i=2139

> Which speakers would you recommend for this setup? Our local shops
> do not carry many brands, so I may be very limited in choice or
> else have to buy them unauditioned.

> Among what I've seen here are MS, Tannoy (Fusion, Sensys), Audio Pro,
> Wharfedale, B&W.

B&W, Wharfedale and Tannoy have good reputations. I am not familiar with
the others.

> I'd like to keep it about $500, if possible ;)

Depending on the prices locally you might be able to get a pair of
bookshelf speakers plus a subwoofer for about that money (maybe a bit
more), which I think is a very nice alternative to bigger, more expensive,
3-way speakers.

--
http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/

..pt is Portugal| `Whom the gods love die young'-Menander (342-292 BC)
Europe | Villeneuve 50-82, Toivonen 56-86, Senna 60-94
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 6:34:20 AM

finest...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm going to biuld an entry-level system, and almost decided on
> NAD 320BEE and NAD 521BEE as source and amp.
>
> Which speakers would you recommend for this setup? Our local shops
> do not carry many brands, so I may be very limited in choice or
> else have to buy them unauditioned.
>
> Among what I've seen here are MS, Tannoy (Fusion, Sensys), Audio Pro,
> Wharfedale, B&W.
>
> Musical preferences: classic (symphonic, chamber), prog, art rock,
> female vocals.
>
> I'd like to keep it about $500, if possible ;)
>
> BTW, if there's something better for the money than NADs, I'll
consider
> it (they both cost about $300 each here)
>
> Thanks a lot
> Alex

Alex:

I've always observed a nice synergy between NAD amplifiers and B&W
speakers. NAD amplifiers have a punchy dynamic sound that really
brings B&W speakers to life in a musical way.

I was very impressed by the NAD CD player as heard through Grado RS1
headphones.

I don't agree with most posters here regarding CD players. I hear
differences among them, specifically in terms of depth of image, focus
and musical expression. But your speakers must have the resolving
power for you to enjoy those strengths in a meaningful way. Given your
budget, no commercial speaker at your price point will provide that
resolution (unless you 'roll your own' with premium drivers, which may
cost more than 500$ anyway.)

So buying an 80$ Panasonic DVD player and putting the savings towards a
speaker with more bass extension or higher resolution is very good
advice.

Good luck.

Peter Medeco
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 4:20:47 AM

finest137@yahoo.com Wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Musical preferences: classic (symphonic, chamber), prog, art rock,
> female vocals.
>
> I'd like to keep it about $500, if possible ;)
>
> BTW, if there's something better for the money than NADs, I'll
> consider
> it (they both cost about $300 each here)
>
> Thanks a lot
> Alex

Check out the Ascend CBM-170s, $340 shipped from Ascendacoustics.com,
they are an unbelievable value---comparable to the Paradigm Studio
series. You can pair them with the 10" Dayton sub from
partsexpress.com for $145 shipped.

The other one I'd look at is the Athena AS-F2 which might be fine
without a sub, $400 shipped from the audioadvisor.com

The Ascends would especially excel at the classical and vocal music.

As for an alternative to the NADs, right now they're practically giving
away the Marantz sr8400 on uBid, will probably go for $400-500 with full
Marantz warranty. That receiver would give you maximum versatility.

--
edster922
Anonymous

nabob33@hotmail.com wrote:

>finest...@yahoo.com wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I'm going to biuld an entry-level system, and almost decided on
>>NAD 320BEE and NAD 521BEE as source and amp.
>>
>>Which speakers would you recommend for this setup? Our local shops
>>do not carry many brands, so I may be very limited in choice or
>>else have to buy them unauditioned.
>>
>>Among what I've seen here are MS, Tannoy (Fusion, Sensys), Audio Pro,
>>Wharfedale, B&W.
>>
>>Musical preferences: classic (symphonic, chamber), prog, art rock,
>>female vocals.
>>
>>I'd like to keep it about $500, if possible ;)
>>
>>BTW, if there's something better for the money than NADs, I'll
>>

>consider
>

>>it (they both cost about $300 each here)
>>

>First off, don't think about this as "speakers for this setup." The
>320BEE can't drive every speaker out there, but it can probably drive
>just about every decent speaker in your price range. The real issue
>with speakers is whether they sound good in your room. When you've made
>a tentative decision, try to take them home on trial.
>
>Second, you probably can't do much better for $300 than the 320BEE,
>amp-wise. But given your limited budget, I would suggest foregoing the
>NAD CD player in favor of a simple DVD player. I've had occasion to use
>an $80 Panasonic DVD player in my system, and it sounded fine. That
>would give you an extra $200 to put toward speakers, which will give
>you more options.
>
>As for speakers, they are very much a matter of individual taste, and
>you need to figure out what your taste is. Yes, it's easier to get
>someone to tell you that Brand X is the best, but asking on the Web
>will get you such a long list of Brand Xs that you'll be back where you
>started from. So start listening yourself; you'll be much happier in
>the end. That said, two companies with a reputation for value in the
>sub-$1k range are Paradigm and PSB, and I would recommend seeking them
>out, even if you have to venture somewhat afield.
>
>bob

I would add the FM Labs Cobalt 806s to the top of the list at $699.00.
You need to allocate more money to speakers and stands. I second the
Paradigm recommendation if you buy above the Atoms.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 3:55:03 AM

Thanks a lot for your advise.

The main problem over here is that shops carry too few models, and
there is little chance of proper pre-sale audition. As for taking the
thing home, well, it's out of question at all.

Alex
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 4:17:01 AM

On 2005-05-04 02:12:56 +0200, finest137@yahoo.com said:

> Hello,
>
> I'm going to biuld an entry-level system, and almost decided on
> NAD 320BEE and NAD 521BEE as source and amp.
>
> Which speakers would you recommend for this setup? Our local shops
> do not carry many brands, so I may be very limited in choice or
> else have to buy them unauditioned.
>
> Among what I've seen here are MS, Tannoy (Fusion, Sensys), Audio Pro,
> Wharfedale, B&W.
>
> Musical preferences: classic (symphonic, chamber), prog, art rock,
> female vocals.
>
> I'd like to keep it about $500, if possible ;)
>
> BTW, if there's something better for the money than NADs, I'll consider
> it (they both cost about $300 each here)
>
> Thanks a lot
> Alex

(a possible duplicate)

Alex,

Instead of the ubiquitous staid B&W, Mission etc speakers which are all
ok but nothing really exciting at the price, I am going to give you a
truly wacky, hard-core, far-out alternative. And, depending on the wood
used, it will probably cost less than $500/pair: buy a pair of Fostex
FE206E drivers. These are generally considered to be excellent, esp.
for the price. If you're in the usa, Madisound sells them at a very
reasonable $84.30 per piece.
See http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=1656...
These are full-range drivers, you won't need a filter nor a tweeter.
There are some limitations with full-range drivers but many people are
fascinated by their "immediate" sound. Now, the FE206E is a driver that
needs a horn enclosure. I told you I was going to suggest something
hard-core. But the horn will give an amazing dynamic sound. Have a look
at the cabinet that Fostex suggests and decide if you're man enough :-)
to undertake the construction:
http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_comp/pd...

A more expensive speaker ($139) with a more slender cabinet design is
the Fostex 168E-sigma. It should also be interesting (I heard the
little brother of it)
Anyway, check it out:
http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_comp/pd...

Tom

ps

Tom

ps if you want to buy speakers I urge you to hear the small Quad 11L
and 12L. Better than many competitors.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 1:57:13 AM

finest137@yahoo.com Wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm going to biuld an entry-level system, and almost decided on
> NAD 320BEE and NAD 521BEE as source and amp.
>
> Which speakers would you recommend for this setup? Our local shops
> do not carry many brands, so I may be very limited in choice or
> else have to buy them unauditioned.
>
> Among what I've seen here are MS, Tannoy (Fusion, Sensys), Audio Pro,
> Wharfedale, B&W.
>
> Musical preferences: classic (symphonic, chamber), prog, art rock,
> female vocals.
>
> I'd like to keep it about $500, if possible ;)
>
> BTW, if there's something better for the money than NADs, I'll
> consider
> it (they both cost about $300 each here)
>
> Thanks a lot
> Alex

For this price range, I'd look at some used Vandersteens or Paradigms.
There are many other used routes as well that will provide much higher
sound quality than going new.

--
Bojack
!