Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Empty recycle bin automatically?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 2:18:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I'd like a shortcut or (preferably) a batch file to empty the
Recycle Bin before I run certain processes. I have four partitions
in a Win XP Pro SP2 FAT32 system. (Yes, I know. It came configured
FAT32 and I haven't been able to make time to convert to NTFS.)

Can I run some program to do this? Or is it sufficient (and safe)
just to delete everything in the RECYCLED directories via a batch
file? If the latter, should I delete the directories or just their
contents?

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com
"Honesty always gives you the advantage of surprise."
-- /Yes, Prime Minister/
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:09:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
news:10rpa1dn7rq9et3ealf2oqgj48lbmin4bq@4ax.com...
> I'd like a shortcut or (preferably) a batch file to empty the
> Recycle Bin before I run certain processes. I have four partitions
> in a Win XP Pro SP2 FAT32 system. (Yes, I know. It came configured
> FAT32 and I haven't been able to make time to convert to NTFS.)
>
> Can I run some program to do this? Or is it sufficient (and safe)
> just to delete everything in the RECYCLED directories via a batch
> file? If the latter, should I delete the directories or just their
> contents?

Karen's recycler should do the trick. Karen Kenworthy writes some dandy
freeware for the PC.

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/powertools.asp
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 3:19:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In news:10rpa1dn7rq9et3ealf2oqgj48lbmin4bq@4ax.com,
Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> typed:

> I'd like a shortcut or (preferably) a batch file to empty the
> Recycle Bin before I run certain processes. I have four
> partitions
> in a Win XP Pro SP2 FAT32 system. (Yes, I know. It came
> configured
> FAT32 and I haven't been able to make time to convert to NTFS.)


You can run cleanmgr.exe (which comes with Windows) from a batch
file, but you'll have to choose the options you want in the
window.

--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup


>
> Can I run some program to do this? Or is it sufficient (and
> safe)
> just to delete everything in the RECYCLED directories via a
> batch
> file? If the latter, should I delete the directories or just
> their
> contents?
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 11:49:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 22:18:08 -0400, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>I'd like a shortcut or (preferably) a batch file to empty the
>Recycle Bin before I run certain processes.
>
>Can I run some program to do this? Or is it sufficient (and safe)
>just to delete everything in the RECYCLED directories via a batch
>file?

Belated thanks for both responses. I've been swamped this past week
but will check them out.

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 00:09:23 -0400, "Bob the Printer"
<bdolson@comcast.net> wrote:
>Karen's recycler should do the trick. Karen Kenworthy writes some dandy
>freeware for the PC.
>
>http://www.karenware.com/powertools/powertools.asp

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 11:19:59 -0700, "Ken Blake"
<kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

>You can run cleanmgr.exe (which comes with Windows) from a batch
>file, but you'll have to choose the options you want in the
>window.


--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)
!