No sound in newly installed win 7 hp

Tags:
  • Drivers
  • Speakers
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
August 8, 2012 10:27:08 PM

like the title says just installed but no sound at all and my speakers are plugged in , also checked for driver updates it said nothing needs to be updated... whats wrong then??

More about : sound newly installed win

August 8, 2012 10:33:30 PM

Go to start meu, control panel, device manager, and see if there are any missing drivers for anything.

If not, go to your motherboard manufacturers website and get the latest audio driver for your motherboard model.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
August 8, 2012 10:36:09 PM

You never want to trust Windows Update when it comes to drivers. So, just because it says there's nothing to be updated does not mean that you do not need to install the drivers for the audio chip on your computer.

Go to HP's support website, find your specific model, grab drivers for things like video, audio, and motherboard chipset at a minimum. Install those, and if you still have no sound after a reboot, something else is wrong.
m
l
Related resources
August 8, 2012 10:45:07 PM

austing said:
Go to start meu, control panel, device manager, and see if there are any missing drivers for anything.

If not, go to your motherboard manufacturers website and get the latest audio driver for your motherboard model.

cant find nothing
m
l
August 8, 2012 10:45:30 PM

cl-scott said:
You never want to trust Windows Update when it comes to drivers. So, just because it says there's nothing to be updated does not mean that you do not need to install the drivers for the audio chip on your computer.

Go to HP's support website, find your specific model, grab drivers for things like video, audio, and motherboard chipset at a minimum. Install those, and if you still have no sound after a reboot, something else is wrong.

my computer is custom built
m
l
August 8, 2012 10:46:14 PM

Windows can't update what it can't "see" so if something is "Unknown" in Device Manager, you won't get anything.

You can either go online and get sound card drivers or, if you don't know what sound card you have, go to a torrent website and look for Driver Pack solution 12 and run it.

EDIT: Just read your final post. Si if it is custom built then you know what card you have so go look for drivers on it's website. Also, it might be worth re-visiting Device Manager and see what is listed under "Sound, Video, and Game Controllers"
m
l
August 8, 2012 10:47:48 PM

chadmanning222 said:
cant find nothing

If you have a sound card, go to your sound card's website and get the driver for your model.

If you are using on board sound, go to your motherboards website and manually download the audio driver for your motherboards model.
m
l
August 8, 2012 11:07:56 PM

You know what, it would be easiest if you just list what you bought. I am willing to bet you have an integrated sound card which you need to install using drivers from your motherboard manufacturer
m
l
August 8, 2012 11:08:52 PM

schnitter said:
You know what, it would be easiest if you just list what you bought. I am willing to bet you have an integrated sound card which you need to install using drivers from your motherboard manufacturer

i have an integrated sound and display so your right its an asus p8z68-m pro and im downloading drivers from their website right now and im hoping theyll work :( 
m
l
August 8, 2012 11:16:13 PM

ok update tried drivers from asus website and nothing happened my computer is still silent please help :( 
m
l
August 8, 2012 11:18:48 PM

A funny story, a few (make that 10) years ago I was doing a upgrade and added a new sounds card. Even with the drivers, speakers, bios and os updates I just couldn't get it to work.

I gave up for a few days, well more to calm down before I played "how far across the road will this computer fly to".

I came back and looked at my sound levels, mixer settings, sounds output "device" settings and whatever else I could find. And bingo .. stupid little check box.

Once the happy dance ended I rebooted just to ensure I hadn't imagined it ... no sound. For some reason (drivers) I had to re-check that little box every time I rebooted. Well until the next driver update, then it somehow fixed itself.

So my question ... have you checked all your sound software settings / defaults?
m
l
August 8, 2012 11:21:30 PM

Speakers plugged in the right 2.5mm jack?

Right click the speaker icon in the system tray and make sure the correct playback device is set to default.

m
l
August 8, 2012 11:24:40 PM

Go to Control Panels and SOUND then make sure that SPEAKERS is set to Default. Or play some song and monitor that SOUND in contorl panel to see which one is trying to throw some sound and select that as Default.

Also, some people with your same motherboard claim uninstalling "Realtek HD Audio Manager" and restarting PC fixed the issue.
m
l
August 8, 2012 11:29:24 PM

OMG IM RETARDED! im so sorry guysafter unplugging and replugging i looked back to realize it was in the wrong plugin place... im so sorry to have wasted your time :( 

but thanks for the effort
m
l
August 8, 2012 11:31:03 PM

Click on speaker icon in task bar and then click MIXER

Go to control panel and open SOUND

Open device manager and open the SOUND tab

Play some music and take a screen shot and post it here. Like so:

This is how it should look for it to be working.

EDIT: Never mind lol.
m
l
August 9, 2012 12:08:44 AM

chadmanning222 said:
OMG IM RETARDED! im so sorry guysafter unplugging and replugging i looked back to realize it was in the wrong plugin place... im so sorry to have wasted your time :( 

but thanks for the effort

Trololol, it happens to the best of us. :p 
m
l