Wallet too heavy?

Last response: in Video Games
May 30, 2005 9:34:05 AM

Check this out.
http://www.audiostiles.com/home.html

Sounds potentially interesting but with high prices and onerous
limitations that pretty much kill any chance I'd ever use their
service.

-Ophidian

More about : wallet heavy

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 9:53:32 AM

On Mon, 30 May 2005 05:34:05 -0400, "Zac Bond" <zwb2@cwru.edu> wrote:

>Check this out.
>http://www.audiostiles.com/home.html
>
>Sounds potentially interesting but with high prices and onerous
>limitations that pretty much kill any chance I'd ever use their
>service.
>
>-Ophidian

Isn't there any sort of free playlist sharing forum/service already? I'd
have guessed that would have long since existed.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Eek! Polychromic wrote:
> "Zac Bond" wrote:
>
>>Check this out.
>>http://www.audiostiles.com/home.html
>>
>>Sounds potentially interesting but with high prices and onerous
>>limitations that pretty much kill any chance I'd ever use their
>>service.
>
> Isn't there any sort of free playlist sharing forum/service already? I'd
> have guessed that would have long since existed.

Yes, most of the music players do have a playlist stored somewhere.... At
least whenever I compile a playlist, if I didn't choose the privacy option
carefully, it'll be sent there.

Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would suggest?

--
Ashikaga a27
May 30, 2005 2:58:19 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2005 10:58:18 GMT, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Eek! Polychromic wrote:
>> "Zac Bond" wrote:
>>
>>>Check this out.
>>>http://www.audiostiles.com/home.html
>>>
>>>Sounds potentially interesting but with high prices and onerous
>>>limitations that pretty much kill any chance I'd ever use their
>>>service.
>>
>> Isn't there any sort of free playlist sharing forum/service already? I'd
>> have guessed that would have long since existed.
>
>Yes, most of the music players do have a playlist stored somewhere.... At
>least whenever I compile a playlist, if I didn't choose the privacy option
>carefully, it'll be sent there.
>
>Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would suggest?

This is what I'm currently listening to, well I'm currently watching the
awful Jian Gui 2 but you get the idea:

12 Monkeys
13th Warrior
3 Doors Down
Aimee Mann
Alanis Morrisette
Alternate Reality
Angelo_Badalamenti - Twin Peaks sound track
Annie Lennox
Arcanum
Atomic Bitchwax
Beauty and the Beast
Blade Trinity OST
Blue â„¢yster Cult
Camelot
Caroline Lavelle
City of Angels
Clannad
Cold Play
Conan the Barbarian
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Dan Fogelberg
Dar Williams
Doctor Who
Don McLean
Dragonheart
Dungeon Siege
Dungeon Siege 2
Enya
Erich Kunzel Cincinnati Pops Orchestra
Evanescence
Evanescence - Anywhere But Home
Evanescence - Origin
Excalibur
Farscape
Foo Fighters
Forrest Gump
Gabriel Knight
Gladiator
Gustav Holst
Hannibal
Highlander
Jimi Hendrix
Josie
Kingdom Of Heaven OST
LOTR - FOTR
LOTR - Misc
LOTR - ROTK
LOTR - TTT
Memento
MEO
Message in a Bottle
Michael Kamen - Opus
Michael Kamen - X-Men
Michelle Branch
Misc
Misc Parodies
Mission Impossible
Mission Impossible II
Natalie Imbruglia
Natural Desktop MP3s
New American Orchestra - Blade Runner
Nine Inch Nails
Origin
Oystein Sevag
PS Torment
Queen
Queen of the Damned Soundtrack
Red Delicious
redone U5 music
Remy Zero
Replacement Killers
Sarah McLachlan
Se7en CD1
Se7en CD2
Sinead O'Conner
Sixpence None the Richer
Smallville Ultimate Sound Track
Somewhere in Time
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Sting
Suzanne Vega
Swordfish
Tangerine Dream
The 5th Element
The Big Chill
The Chieftains
The Eagles
The Fabulous Baker Boys
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
The Hunger
The Ninth Gate
The Postman
The Saint
The Stand
The Tao of Steve
The Thing
Thief 2
Tomb Raider - Game
Touching Evil
Twister
U2
Ultima Underworld
Ultima VII
UOSS UO MP3s
Vangelis - Blade Runner
Vertigo
Wagner
Wing Commander
X-Files
Zeus Faber

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 2:58:19 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2005 10:58:18 GMT, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Eek! Polychromic wrote:

>> Isn't there any sort of free playlist sharing forum/service already? I'd
>> have guessed that would have long since existed.
>
>Yes, most of the music players do have a playlist stored somewhere.... At
>least whenever I compile a playlist, if I didn't choose the privacy option
>carefully, it'll be sent there.

Winamp wants to collect some stats but I don't think it tries to send the
playlists anywhere. Is there a fan site where people share their
playlists? I'm not into music much and haven't ever stumbled across such
a site.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 4:33:41 PM

Ashikaga wrote:

> Yes, most of the music players do have a playlist stored somewhere.... At
> least whenever I compile a playlist, if I didn't choose the privacy option
> carefully, it'll be sent there.
>
> Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would suggest?

My tastes are somewhat esoteric. Although I have been known to indulge
in Black Metal from time to time, most of my music is late 60s, early 70s
progressive rock. I'm particularly fond of lengthy, epic pieces, rather
than the attention-deficit music that appears to be prevalent today.

My most recent purchase was 'Present' by Van Der Graaf Generator.
This in itself is remarkable, since it is the first new album from the
band in thirty years, but is still pretty good.

VDGG is not for the faint-hearted. One of their most (in)famous tracks
is the legendary 'A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers', which lasts around
26 minutes. Needless to say it is.. patchy. Some great ideas, though.

Other things I've recently got into (with a little help from Optician)
include 'Rocker's Revenge' from the Bartman Music Project
( http://www.bartman-music.de ) and the fantastically weird and wonderful
'An Electric Storm' by White Noise.

Here's a couple of mine:

Quest for the Sacred Jaguar
http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/music/jaguar6.ogg

Legend of the Black Sun (originally a MIDI file by KoD.. my recording)
http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/music/lbs1.ogg
(The original is 48 minutes long, the longest tape I can use is about
45 minutes, unless it's run at some strange lower speed.
This is just the first 15 minutes of the piece..)

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org

On Mon, 30 May 2005 12:33:41 +0100, "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org>
wrote:

>My tastes are somewhat esoteric. Although I have been known to indulge
>in Black Metal from time to time, most of my music is late 60s, early 70s
>progressive rock. I'm particularly fond of lengthy, epic pieces, rather
>than the attention-deficit music that appears to be prevalent today.

Speaking of epic pieces, the besto the 5 times I saw Yes was their
Close To The Edge tour. WOW! We sat in the 5th row, directly in
frontof Steve Howe. After a 2 our musical orgasm, they returned to the
stage for Starship Troopers. By now, everyone was standing up on their
seats, which were of the fold-up variety being on the main
floor.During Howes, unusually fluid solo (unusualy so because he
actually hit all the notes) my friend Mike got overcome and stepped
back on his chair a bit too far and it folded up, carrying him over
backwards. He then reached out to both sides and caused a bunch of ut
to start to fall back. Did I mention Mike was 6 feet 6 inches tall?
The people behind us screamed and thankfully pushed him back to
vertical, saving a total collapse of about 15 people. Howe saw this
and really grinned and pointed his guitar at us like "Gotcha!"
>My most recent purchase was 'Present' by Van Der Graaf Generator.
>This in itself is remarkable, since it is the first new album from the
>band in thirty years, but is still pretty good.
>
>VDGG is not for the faint-hearted. One of their most (in)famous tracks
>is the legendary 'A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers', which lasts around
>26 minutes. Needless to say it is.. patchy. Some great ideas, though.
>
>Other things I've recently got into (with a little help from Optician)
>include 'Rocker's Revenge' from the Bartman Music Project
>( http://www.bartman-music.de ) and the fantastically weird and wonderful
>'An Electric Storm' by White Noise.

Look out! Here Come The Fleas!!!
>Here's a couple of mine:
>
>Quest for the Sacred Jaguar
>http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/music/jaguar6.ogg
>
>Legend of the Black Sun (originally a MIDI file by KoD.. my recording)
>http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/music/lbs1.ogg
>(The original is 48 minutes long, the longest tape I can use is about
> 45 minutes, unless it's run at some strange lower speed.
> This is just the first 15 minutes of the piece..)
Sir Cabirus has sent me much VDGG. Nice expositional type stuff.
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
-Alfred E. Neumann
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 6:55:36 PM

"Ashikaga" <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would
> suggest?

I am finishing up on my yearly list of my current favorite songs
culled from everything on my computer. I shall post it when I finish
it...

-Zac
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 11:26:05 PM

Eek! Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
<snip>
> This is what I'm currently listening to, well I'm currently watching the
> awful Jian Gui 2 but you get the idea:

<snipped the long list>

POLY! Obviously I asked for a list because I want to sort of filter out
what music I could listen next, not a long list like yours that only
confuses me more.... Just give me a few songs that you like the best.
PLEASE. :-)

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous

On Mon, 30 May 2005 19:26:05 GMT, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Eek! Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
><snip>
>> This is what I'm currently listening to, well I'm currently watching the
>> awful Jian Gui 2 but you get the idea:
>
><snipped the long list>
>
>POLY! Obviously I asked for a list because I want to sort of filter out
>what music I could listen next, not a long list like yours that only
>confuses me more.... Just give me a few songs that you like the best.
>PLEASE. :-)

I could sooner choose which of my children I like the best! I like them
all equally. :)

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 5:15:30 AM

Words to the wise, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

>The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Great, great movie with a phantastic sound track.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 5:15:31 AM

On Tue, 31 May 2005 01:15:30 +0200, Claus Dragon
<claus@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:

>Words to the wise, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
>
>Great, great movie with a phantastic sound track.

A lot of whistling too.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 6:32:12 AM

Zac Bond wrote:

> Check this out.
> http://www.audiostiles.com/home.html
>
> Sounds potentially interesting but with high prices and onerous
> limitations that pretty much kill any chance I'd ever use their service.

I checked out their rates and their playlist samples.

$20 (for the service) + $15 (for the music) for each hour of popular music
you can hear on any radio station? Ridiculous.

If they were actually introducing me to music I would like but have never
been exposed to before then maybe they'd have something.

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.

Ashikaga wrote:

> Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would suggest?

Lately I've been transferring music from vinyl to ogg so I haven't really
been listening to a lot of new music, but a few relatively obscure but
excellent artists are:

Happy Rhodes
http://www.auntiesocialmusic.com

Devics
http://www.devics.com/home.html

Eric Matthews
http://www.ericmatthewsmusic.com

Granada
http://www.granada.nu

Shannon Wright
http://www.knowwave.com/shannonwright
http://www.epitonic.com/artists/shannonwright.html

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 9:29:28 AM

Eek! Polychromic wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
<snip>
>>POLY! Obviously I asked for a list because I want to sort of filter out
>>what music I could listen next, not a long list like yours that only
>>confuses me more.... Just give me a few songs that you like the best.
>>PLEASE. :-)
>
> I could sooner choose which of my children I like the best! I like them
> all equally. :)

You are so corny.

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous

Eek! Cape Dweller wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
>
>> Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would suggest?
>
> Lately I've been transferring music from vinyl to ogg so I haven't really
> been listening to a lot of new music, but a few relatively obscure but
> excellent artists are:
>
> Happy Rhodes
> http://www.auntiesocialmusic.com
>
> Devics
> http://www.devics.com/home.html
>
> Eric Matthews
> http://www.ericmatthewsmusic.com
>
> Granada
> http://www.granada.nu
>
> Shannon Wright
> http://www.knowwave.com/shannonwright
> http://www.epitonic.com/artists/shannonwright.html

Your taste of music is more mellower than mine.... Weird. But some of
those are indeed nice music.

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous

On Tue, 31 May 2005 18:53:17 GMT, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Eek! Cape Dweller wrote:
>> Ashikaga wrote:
>>
>>> Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would suggest?
>>
>> Lately I've been transferring music from vinyl to ogg so I haven't really
>> been listening to a lot of new music, but a few relatively obscure but
>> excellent artists are:
>>
>> Happy Rhodes
>> http://www.auntiesocialmusic.com
>>
>> Devics
>> http://www.devics.com/home.html
>>
>> Eric Matthews
>> http://www.ericmatthewsmusic.com
>>
>> Granada
>> http://www.granada.nu
>>
>> Shannon Wright
>> http://www.knowwave.com/shannonwright
>> http://www.epitonic.com/artists/shannonwright.html
>
>Your taste of music is more mellower than mine.... Weird. But some of
>those are indeed nice music.
Ashi, you sound like a person that should be into the blues. You ever
listen to some good blues?
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
-Alfred E. Neumann
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 7:18:36 AM

Eek! Optician Dragon wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
<snip>
>>Your taste of music is more mellower than mine.... Weird. But some of
>>those are indeed nice music.
> Ashi, you sound like a person that should be into the blues. You ever
> listen to some good blues?

I am indeed classically trained, so I do like jazz and stuff (blues is a
sub-category of jazz). Recently, I've been listen to Coldplay and stuff
because that's what my workplace plays.... Some of my co-workers hate me
for liking Gappy music, but whatever....

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous

Ashikaga wrote:

> Your taste of music is more mellower than mine.... Weird. But some of
> those are indeed nice music.

I suppose for the most part I prefer mellow music, probably because it's
playing in the background for most of the day and I also like to unwind to
music. Of course I like plenty of loud stuff too:

Billy Talent
http://www.billytalent.com
(this is a great site - they stream entire songs from their album)

The Tea Party
http://www.teaparty.com/

Copyright
http://www.gangland.com/Copyright.html

Hmm... All Canadian bands. I guess I like my rage local.

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 3:10:40 PM

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 03:18:36 GMT, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Eek! Optician Dragon wrote:
>> Ashikaga wrote:
><snip>
>>>Your taste of music is more mellower than mine.... Weird. But some of
>>>those are indeed nice music.
>> Ashi, you sound like a person that should be into the blues. You ever
>> listen to some good blues?
>
>I am indeed classically trained, so I do like jazz and stuff (blues is a
>sub-category of jazz). Recently, I've been listen to Coldplay and stuff
>because that's what my workplace plays.... Some of my co-workers hate me
>for liking Gappy music, but whatever....
Next time you have some spare cash, pick up the John Mayall album,
Stories.
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
-Alfred E. Neumann
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 6:14:18 PM

Ashikaga the Forcible Masked Drag Racer of Niceness wrote:
>Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would suggest?

I mostly listen to comedic (Weird Al Yankovic), show tune (Rogers and
Hammerstein and Disney) and other rather light fanciful stuff (TV
theme songs). I also listen to some classical music.

Just recently I got the incomparable William Shatner's new CD Has
Been, I like it but I would only really recommend the track "Common
People" for general consumption. I also got a compilation of Leonard
Nimoy and William Shatner music from the late 60s early 70s. Shatner's
take on Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds as an irrisitable kitch appeal
for me, otherwise not really much to recommend it, Nimoy does some
passable folk sining mixed in with some really silly stuff (The Ballad
of Bilbo Baggins is a hoot).

I have also been checking out some really old songs free for download
off a Canada archives site:
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/gramophone/index-e.html

I recomend "Cows may come and cows may go but the bull goes on
forever". It is a very scratchy recording but still amusing. Lots of
other music there and most of it is rather obscure. I have not
listened to much else to give recommendations. Still you can't beat
the price. ;-)
--
d e+ N- T- Om++ UK!1!2!3!4!56A78!9 u uC uF- uG+ uLB+ uA nC nR nH+ nP
nI+ nPT nS+ nT- y- a26, Captain in the Cinnaguard, Weirdo, Blue Bow

Eek! Cape Dweller wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
>
>> Your taste of music is more mellower than mine.... Weird. But some of
>> those are indeed nice music.
>
> I suppose for the most part I prefer mellow music, probably because it's
> playing in the background for most of the day and I also like to unwind to
> music. Of course I like plenty of loud stuff too:
>
> Billy Talent
> http://www.billytalent.com
> (this is a great site - they stream entire songs from their album)

Yeah, it's a great website, but I don't like punk rock....

> The Tea Party
> http://www.teaparty.com/

This one is nice. Not my cup of tea, but it's not too bad.

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous

Eek! Saint George's Dragon wrote:
> Ashikaga the Forcible Masked Drag Racer of Niceness wrote:
>>Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would suggest?
>
> I mostly listen to comedic (Weird Al Yankovic), show tune (Rogers and
> Hammerstein and Disney) and other rather light fanciful stuff (TV
> theme songs). I also listen to some classical music.
>
> Just recently I got the incomparable William Shatner's new CD Has
> Been, I like it but I would only really recommend the track "Common
> People" for general consumption. I also got a compilation of Leonard
> Nimoy and William Shatner music from the late 60s early 70s. Shatner's
> take on Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds as an irrisitable kitch appeal
> for me, otherwise not really much to recommend it, Nimoy does some
> passable folk sining mixed in with some really silly stuff (The Ballad
> of Bilbo Baggins is a hoot).
>
> I have also been checking out some really old songs free for download
> off a Canada archives site:
> http://www.collectionscanada.ca/gramophone/index-e.html
>
> I recomend "Cows may come and cows may go but the bull goes on
> forever". It is a very scratchy recording but still amusing. Lots of
> other music there and most of it is rather obscure. I have not
> listened to much else to give recommendations. Still you can't beat
> the price. ;-)

You have a weird taste for music....

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous

Ashikaga wrote:

>> Billy Talent
>> http://www.billytalent.com
>> (this is a great site - they stream entire songs from their album)
>
> Yeah, it's a great website, but I don't like punk rock....

I can't say that I like punk rock either, but certain bands do strike a
chord with me (nyuk nyuk).

Similarly I generally dislike "country" music but there are a few gems
like Trespassers William, Lowen & Navarro, Maria McKee.

>> The Tea Party
>> http://www.teaparty.com/
>
> This one is nice. Not my cup of tea, but it's not too bad.

Haven't you heard of them before?

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 7:23:32 AM

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 03:22:09 -0400, Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net>
wrote:

>>> The Tea Party
>>> http://www.teaparty.com/
>>
>> This one is nice. Not my cup of tea, but it's not too bad.
>
>Haven't you heard of them before?

No, is it a local band from Boston?

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 7:15:04 AM

Eek! Polychromic wrote:

>>> This one is nice. Not my cup of tea, but it's not too bad.
>>
>>Haven't you heard of them before?
>
> No, is it a local band from Boston?

I've never heard of it, but it ain't no Boston Tea Party. :-p

Anyways, to Cape, I am only picking up some English CDs along the way
nowadays, so don't expect me to know a lot of them. BTW, what are the
definitive CLASSICS of American songs. Don't tell me YMCA, or Louie,
Louie. I am thinking about getting some of the real classics from each
eras, anything from "It's a Wonderful World" to "Lovin' You" are fine with
me. I like some lyrics that are meaningful.

So if there are some songs that just strike you emotionally, please do
share. :-) That's EVERYONE. SHARE!

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous

Ashikaga wrote:

> I've never heard of it, but it ain't no Boston Tea Party. :-p

They're from Windsor, Ontario actually (Windsor is directly across the
border from Detroit). They did most of their early recording/mixing in the
States but for the last two albums a significant amount was done in Canada.

> BTW, what are the definitive CLASSICS of American songs.

I don't know why you would limit it to American songs. Anyway:

"Time in a Bottle" - Jim Croce
"American Pie" - Don McLean
"Space Oddity" - David Bowie
"American Woman" - The Guess Who (or substitute "These Eyes", "Laughing",
"Undun", "Share the Land", all classics in their own right)

Maybe more later if I have the time :)

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 10:40:01 PM

> Anyways, to Cape, I am only picking up some English CDs along the
> way
> nowadays, so don't expect me to know a lot of them. BTW, what are
> the
> definitive CLASSICS of American songs. Don't tell me YMCA, or
> Louie,
> Louie. I am thinking about getting some of the real classics from
> each
> eras, anything from "It's a Wonderful World" to "Lovin' You" are
> fine with
> me. I like some lyrics that are meaningful.

Get a little Jimmie Rodgers "Blue Yodel (T for Texas)" and then some
Johnny Cash. You can buy the entire output of some of the blues
giants on one CD, too, like Willie McTell, Robert Johnson, etc. Not
sure about McTell, actually,

If you feel like deciding what record was the first tock and roll
record, you should check out Big Joe Turner with "Honey, Hush" and
"Shake, Rattle and Roll" along with the Crows' "Gee" and the Chords'
"Sh-Boom" in doo-wop land.

Another contender is Jackie Brenston's "Rocket '88" although I think
it was credited to someone else.

Not exactly "classics" but if you want a taste of history you can
listen to some of the field recordings from Alan Lomax from the 30's.

Finally, you must check out the oldest known recording, from 1878, at:
http://tinfoil.com/

-Ophidian
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 10:45:54 AM

Eek! Cape Dweller wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
<snip>
>> BTW, what are the definitive CLASSICS of American songs.
>
> I don't know why you would limit it to American songs. Anyway:
>
> "Time in a Bottle" - Jim Croce
> "American Pie" - Don McLean
> "Space Oddity" - David Bowie
> "American Woman" - The Guess Who (or substitute "These Eyes", "Laughing",
> "Undun", "Share the Land", all classics in their own right)
>
> Maybe more later if I have the time :)

I like "Time in a Bottle", but the others are not my favorites (actually
that country sort of style isn't my typical style either, but I like the
lyrics).

Anyways, I am going to start another thread to demonstrates what I was
looking for by posting some lyrics of the songs I am listening and I want
some more similar to it.

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous

Words to the wise, Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net> wrote:

>> BTW, what are the definitive CLASSICS of American songs.
>
>I don't know why you would limit it to American songs. Anyway:
>

>"American Pie" - Don McLean

I still say that I like Madonnas version is far more than the
original. I normally dont like Madonna.

Must be something about that songwriter stuff, which I never can get
into. Take Bob Dylan for example, I like his songs but only if they
are played by other people.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 5:52:53 AM

Ashikaga wrote:

> I like "Time in a Bottle", but the others are not my favorites (actually
> that country sort of style isn't my typical style either, but I like the
> lyrics).

I think there's a big difference between "country" and "folk"!

> Anyways, I am going to start another thread to demonstrates what I was
> looking for by posting some lyrics of the songs I am listening and I want
> some more similar to it.

Well if you just want similar music to what you already listen to then why
did you ask for American classics?

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 5:56:36 AM

Claus Dragon wrote:

>>"American Pie" - Don McLean
>
> I still say that I like Madonnas version is far more than the original. I
> normally dont like Madonna.
>
> Must be something about that songwriter stuff, which I never can get into.
> Take Bob Dylan for example, I like his songs but only if they are played
> by other people.

In general it's usually the first version of a song you hear that is your
favourite. That's what people say, anyway - maybe the most popular version
is the one that gets played the most so it's more likely to be the first
one heard.

Anyway, I tend to like songs coming from the songwriter, since they tend
to have more emotion (or at least the right one for the song).

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 6:48:52 AM

Ashikaga wrote:

> There are exceptions. Like I like "Here Comes the Sun" neither the
> original Beatles version nor the version I heard from Gap. Actually the
> Gap version is okay, but I've found other ones that are better.

Do you like Sandy Farina's version?

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 8:31:35 AM

"Claus Dragon" <claus@ultima-dragons.org> wrote in message

> Must be something about that songwriter stuff, which I never can get
> into. Take Bob Dylan for example, I like his songs but only if they
> are played by other people.

LOL, I am in this camp too but it's just 'cause Dylan's voice can
really grate on my ears sometimes. Dylan's voice, IMO, does best on
the long rambling songs like "Desolation Row" and "Mr. Tambourine
Man."

-Ophidian
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 10:02:20 AM

Eek! Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net> wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
<snip>
>> Anyways, I am going to start another thread to demonstrates what I was
>> looking for by posting some lyrics of the songs I am listening and I want
>> some more similar to it.
>
> Well if you just want similar music to what you already listen to then why
> did you ask for American classics?

My fault. I mean some American musics that are good enough to be classics.
Meaning they would endure the test of time and people would still want to

Ashikaga a27
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 11:10:22 AM

Eek! Cape Dweller wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
>
>> There are exceptions. Like I like "Here Comes the Sun" neither the
>> original Beatles version nor the version I heard from Gap. Actually the
>> Gap version is okay, but I've found other ones that are better.
>
> Do you like Sandy Farina's version?

Couldn't find her. But the one I heard in Gap was by a guy, not a girl.
"Just Can't Get Enough" was by a female singer, but not "Here Comes the
Sun".

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous

Words to the wise, Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net> wrote:

>In general it's usually the first version of a song you hear that is your
>favourite. That's what people say, anyway - maybe the most popular version
>is the one that gets played the most so it's more likely to be the first
>one heard.

Good point that, have to stress my memory for details whether to
support or undermine this hypothesis.

>Anyway, I tend to like songs coming from the songwriter, since they tend
>to have more emotion (or at least the right one for the song).

Hm, emotions .... it is very difficult to say or do anything about
them.

For instance, once, I did an interview with a band whose songs I
thought to be at least cynical if not outright funny. When asking the
band whether they think they are getting applied the "joke band
sticker", they just said, "well, we definitely are serious. No, no
winking, we are serious, the songs are serious".

Hm, I have yet to be so wrong again. But when taking a
fan-journalist's opinion and weighing it against the opinion of the
main songwriter of the band, then it appears as if the latter is the
correct one.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 1:28:07 PM

Eek! Claus Dragon wrote:
>Cape Dweller wrote:
<snip>
>>Anyway, I tend to like songs coming from the songwriter, since they tend
>>to have more emotion (or at least the right one for the song).
>
> Hm, emotions .... it is very difficult to say or do anything about
> them.
>
> For instance, once, I did an interview with a band whose songs I
> thought to be at least cynical if not outright funny. When asking the
> band whether they think they are getting applied the "joke band
> sticker", they just said, "well, we definitely are serious. No, no
> winking, we are serious, the songs are serious".
>
> Hm, I have yet to be so wrong again. But when taking a
> fan-journalist's opinion and weighing it against the opinion of the
> main songwriter of the band, then it appears as if the latter is the
> correct one.

Sometimes the authors/artists mentality is not very similar to ours. In
fact, it's known that many authors don't know what exactly made their books
successful.

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous

Ashikaga wrote:

>> For instance, once, I did an interview with a band whose songs I thought
>> to be at least cynical if not outright funny. When asking the band
>> whether they think they are getting applied the "joke band sticker",
>> they just said, "well, we definitely are serious. No, no winking, we are
>> serious, the songs are serious".
>
> Sometimes the authors/artists mentality is not very similar to ours. In
> fact, it's known that many authors don't know what exactly made their
> books successful.

This reminds me of a European film director who made a "serious" film and
was mortified that the audience laughed through it. As I recall it was
about a guy who falls for a woman but imagines she's either a young
boy or the Virgin Mary when they make love, then falls in love with one of
her other boyfriends until he gets killed by a pipe through the eye during
a car accident. Great special effects for that ;)

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 9:32:35 PM

Eek! Cape Dweller wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
<snip>
>> Sometimes the authors/artists mentality is not very similar to ours. In
>> fact, it's known that many authors don't know what exactly made their
>> books successful.
>
> This reminds me of a European film director who made a "serious" film and
> was mortified that the audience laughed through it. As I recall it was
> about a guy who falls for a woman but imagines she's either a young
> boy or the Virgin Mary when they make love, then falls in love with one of
> her other boyfriends until he gets killed by a pipe through the eye during
> a car accident. Great special effects for that ;)

I think the director didn't do enough post production and editing.... They
should have caught such obvious potential shortfalls while they watched
their own films a million times....

--
Ashikaga a27
June 7, 2005 2:57:12 AM

Quoth Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net>:
> Ashikaga wrote:

>> I like "Time in a Bottle", but the others are not my favorites
>> (actually that country sort of style isn't my typical style
>> either, but I like the lyrics).
>
> I think there's a big difference between "country" and "folk"!

Unquestionably. I'll listen to the latter, for starters.

I must admit, when I saw Time in a Bottle being described as country, I
did blink a bit. Of course, the version I heard first was the one
perfomed by the Muppets, so that's my favourite. IMHO, it's actually
rather more emotional than the original.

\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 4:10:26 AM

Eek! Samurai wrote:
> Quoth Cape Dweller:
>> Ashikaga wrote:
>
>>> I like "Time in a Bottle", but the others are not my favorites
>>> (actually that country sort of style isn't my typical style
>>> either, but I like the lyrics).
>>
>> I think there's a big difference between "country" and "folk"!
>
> Unquestionably. I'll listen to the latter, for starters.
>
> I must admit, when I saw Time in a Bottle being described as country, I
> did blink a bit. Of course, the version I heard first was the one
> perfomed by the Muppets, so that's my favourite. IMHO, it's actually
> rather more emotional than the original.

I like folks, but no so for most country musics (there are always
exceptions of course).

Anyways, I am not very keen on these kinds of musics. I can't even
distinguish a motown from your typical pop. I am only a beginner for these
kinds of music and that's why I need you guys' suggestion. But I suppose I
have a very narrow scope of the music I like..., which really doesn't help
either.... :-(

--
Ashikaga a27
June 7, 2005 4:30:35 AM

Quoth Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com>:
> Anyways, I am not very keen on these kinds of musics. I can't
> even distinguish a motown from your typical pop. I am only a
> beginner for these kinds of music and that's why I need you guys'
> suggestion.

Recommendations are always a little dangerous, though, because tastes
vary so much. There are probably people out there who think Die
Apokalyptischen Reiter is easy listening. :D

> But I suppose I have a very narrow scope of the music
> I like..., which really doesn't help either.... :-(

I'm quite lucky in that regard. While I don't like /everything/,
nearly every genre -- even a few bits of country -- includes songs
that I enjoy. And since I don't care about music very much, it
doesn't trouble me when I have to skip over stuff I don't like very
much.

I'd probably avoid playing the radio if I were driving through the
Deep South, though. :)

\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 5:46:21 AM

Ashikaga wrote:

> I think the director didn't do enough post production and editing....
> They should have caught such obvious potential shortfalls while they
> watched their own films a million times....

It was a fairly low budget artsy film, so it didn't have much
post-production or editing. To the director's chagrin.

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 10:28:16 AM

Eek! Cape Dweller wrote:
<snip>
> You could also argue that the artist placed too much emphasis on the idea
> that the audience must derive the same meaning from the music as the
> artist intended.

Personally, since I also try to write some novels (the idea is pretty much
the same between novel-writing and song-writing), I think I am a little
bitchy on how to deliver the book so readers will get the exactly the same
meaning that I intended, which is not always realistic.

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous

Eek! Samurai wrote:
> Quoth Ashikaga:
>> Anyways, I am not very keen on these kinds of musics. I can't
>> even distinguish a motown from your typical pop. I am only a
>> beginner for these kinds of music and that's why I need you guys'
>> suggestion.
>
> Recommendations are always a little dangerous, though, because tastes
> vary so much. There are probably people out there who think Die
> Apokalyptischen Reiter is easy listening. :D

True, true. You've been telling me that for quite a few times, which still
doesn't stop me from asking for them. I just need some brainstorming
ideas. It doesn't hurt you guys if I don't like most of your suggestions,
right?

Anyways, thank you guys for your inputs. They are very helpful and
introduced me to many artists that otherwise I wouldn't have heard of.

>> But I suppose I have a very narrow scope of the music
>> I like..., which really doesn't help either.... :-(
>
> I'm quite lucky in that regard. While I don't like /everything/,
> nearly every genre -- even a few bits of country -- includes songs
> that I enjoy. And since I don't care about music very much, it
> doesn't trouble me when I have to skip over stuff I don't like very
> much.
>
> I'd probably avoid playing the radio if I were driving through the
> Deep South, though. :)

This reminds me of my shopping for suits experience. I bet all the
salespeople I've talked with must be so angry at me. I'm so specific on
every detail that I just can't find a suit that I like. My taste is so
limited. Even when I am being a little lenient, like I am okay with
two-button now, though I still prefer a three-button jacket, but I still
hate the current trend of having two vents instead of one. I like things
that are simple.

--
Ashikaga a27
June 8, 2005 3:31:13 AM

Quoth Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com>:
> True, true. You've been telling me that for quite a few times,
> which still doesn't stop me from asking for them. I just need
> some brainstorming ideas. It doesn't hurt you guys if I don't
> like most of your suggestions, right?

I'm not saying you shouldn't ask for recommendations -- far from it.
As long as you're aware that a lot of them won't tally with your own
tastes, your fine. :)

\^\^//
!