Wallet too heavy?

Check this out.
http://www.audiostiles.com/home.html

Sounds potentially interesting but with high prices and onerous
limitations that pretty much kill any chance I'd ever use their
service.

-Ophidian
46 answers Last reply
More about wallet heavy
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Mon, 30 May 2005 05:34:05 -0400, "Zac Bond" <zwb2@cwru.edu> wrote:

    >Check this out.
    >http://www.audiostiles.com/home.html
    >
    >Sounds potentially interesting but with high prices and onerous
    >limitations that pretty much kill any chance I'd ever use their
    >service.
    >
    >-Ophidian

    Isn't there any sort of free playlist sharing forum/service already? I'd
    have guessed that would have long since existed.

    --
    The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    Eek! Polychromic wrote:
    > "Zac Bond" wrote:
    >
    >>Check this out.
    >>http://www.audiostiles.com/home.html
    >>
    >>Sounds potentially interesting but with high prices and onerous
    >>limitations that pretty much kill any chance I'd ever use their
    >>service.
    >
    > Isn't there any sort of free playlist sharing forum/service already? I'd
    > have guessed that would have long since existed.

    Yes, most of the music players do have a playlist stored somewhere.... At
    least whenever I compile a playlist, if I didn't choose the privacy option
    carefully, it'll be sent there.

    Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would suggest?

    --
    Ashikaga a27
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Mon, 30 May 2005 10:58:18 GMT, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Eek! Polychromic wrote:
    >> "Zac Bond" wrote:
    >>
    >>>Check this out.
    >>>http://www.audiostiles.com/home.html
    >>>
    >>>Sounds potentially interesting but with high prices and onerous
    >>>limitations that pretty much kill any chance I'd ever use their
    >>>service.
    >>
    >> Isn't there any sort of free playlist sharing forum/service already? I'd
    >> have guessed that would have long since existed.
    >
    >Yes, most of the music players do have a playlist stored somewhere.... At
    >least whenever I compile a playlist, if I didn't choose the privacy option
    >carefully, it'll be sent there.
    >
    >Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would suggest?

    This is what I'm currently listening to, well I'm currently watching the
    awful Jian Gui 2 but you get the idea:

    12 Monkeys
    13th Warrior
    3 Doors Down
    Aimee Mann
    Alanis Morrisette
    Alternate Reality
    Angelo_Badalamenti - Twin Peaks sound track
    Annie Lennox
    Arcanum
    Atomic Bitchwax
    Beauty and the Beast
    Blade Trinity OST
    Blue ™yster Cult
    Camelot
    Caroline Lavelle
    City of Angels
    Clannad
    Cold Play
    Conan the Barbarian
    Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Dan Fogelberg
    Dar Williams
    Doctor Who
    Don McLean
    Dragonheart
    Dungeon Siege
    Dungeon Siege 2
    Enya
    Erich Kunzel Cincinnati Pops Orchestra
    Evanescence
    Evanescence - Anywhere But Home
    Evanescence - Origin
    Excalibur
    Farscape
    Foo Fighters
    Forrest Gump
    Gabriel Knight
    Gladiator
    Gustav Holst
    Hannibal
    Highlander
    Jimi Hendrix
    Josie
    Kingdom Of Heaven OST
    LOTR - FOTR
    LOTR - Misc
    LOTR - ROTK
    LOTR - TTT
    Memento
    MEO
    Message in a Bottle
    Michael Kamen - Opus
    Michael Kamen - X-Men
    Michelle Branch
    Misc
    Misc Parodies
    Mission Impossible
    Mission Impossible II
    Natalie Imbruglia
    Natural Desktop MP3s
    New American Orchestra - Blade Runner
    Nine Inch Nails
    Origin
    Oystein Sevag
    PS Torment
    Queen
    Queen of the Damned Soundtrack
    Red Delicious
    redone U5 music
    Remy Zero
    Replacement Killers
    Sarah McLachlan
    Se7en CD1
    Se7en CD2
    Sinead O'Conner
    Sixpence None the Richer
    Smallville Ultimate Sound Track
    Somewhere in Time
    Spider-Man
    Spider-Man 2
    Sting
    Suzanne Vega
    Swordfish
    Tangerine Dream
    The 5th Element
    The Big Chill
    The Chieftains
    The Eagles
    The Fabulous Baker Boys
    The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
    The Hunger
    The Ninth Gate
    The Postman
    The Saint
    The Stand
    The Tao of Steve
    The Thing
    Thief 2
    Tomb Raider - Game
    Touching Evil
    Twister
    U2
    Ultima Underworld
    Ultima VII
    UOSS UO MP3s
    Vangelis - Blade Runner
    Vertigo
    Wagner
    Wing Commander
    X-Files
    Zeus Faber

    --
    The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
    RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Mon, 30 May 2005 10:58:18 GMT, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Eek! Polychromic wrote:

    >> Isn't there any sort of free playlist sharing forum/service already? I'd
    >> have guessed that would have long since existed.
    >
    >Yes, most of the music players do have a playlist stored somewhere.... At
    >least whenever I compile a playlist, if I didn't choose the privacy option
    >carefully, it'll be sent there.

    Winamp wants to collect some stats but I don't think it tries to send the
    playlists anywhere. Is there a fan site where people share their
    playlists? I'm not into music much and haven't ever stumbled across such
    a site.

    --
    The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
    RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Ashikaga wrote:

    > Yes, most of the music players do have a playlist stored somewhere.... At
    > least whenever I compile a playlist, if I didn't choose the privacy option
    > carefully, it'll be sent there.
    >
    > Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would suggest?

    My tastes are somewhat esoteric. Although I have been known to indulge
    in Black Metal from time to time, most of my music is late 60s, early 70s
    progressive rock. I'm particularly fond of lengthy, epic pieces, rather
    than the attention-deficit music that appears to be prevalent today.

    My most recent purchase was 'Present' by Van Der Graaf Generator.
    This in itself is remarkable, since it is the first new album from the
    band in thirty years, but is still pretty good.

    VDGG is not for the faint-hearted. One of their most (in)famous tracks
    is the legendary 'A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers', which lasts around
    26 minutes. Needless to say it is.. patchy. Some great ideas, though.

    Other things I've recently got into (with a little help from Optician)
    include 'Rocker's Revenge' from the Bartman Music Project
    ( http://www.bartman-music.de ) and the fantastically weird and wonderful
    'An Electric Storm' by White Noise.

    Here's a couple of mine:

    Quest for the Sacred Jaguar
    http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/music/jaguar6.ogg

    Legend of the Black Sun (originally a MIDI file by KoD.. my recording)
    http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/music/lbs1.ogg
    (The original is 48 minutes long, the longest tape I can use is about
    45 minutes, unless it's run at some strange lower speed.
    This is just the first 15 minutes of the piece..)

    --
    JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
    Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org

    On Mon, 30 May 2005 12:33:41 +0100, "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org>
    wrote:

    >My tastes are somewhat esoteric. Although I have been known to indulge
    >in Black Metal from time to time, most of my music is late 60s, early 70s
    >progressive rock. I'm particularly fond of lengthy, epic pieces, rather
    >than the attention-deficit music that appears to be prevalent today.

    Speaking of epic pieces, the besto the 5 times I saw Yes was their
    Close To The Edge tour. WOW! We sat in the 5th row, directly in
    frontof Steve Howe. After a 2 our musical orgasm, they returned to the
    stage for Starship Troopers. By now, everyone was standing up on their
    seats, which were of the fold-up variety being on the main
    floor.During Howes, unusually fluid solo (unusualy so because he
    actually hit all the notes) my friend Mike got overcome and stepped
    back on his chair a bit too far and it folded up, carrying him over
    backwards. He then reached out to both sides and caused a bunch of ut
    to start to fall back. Did I mention Mike was 6 feet 6 inches tall?
    The people behind us screamed and thankfully pushed him back to
    vertical, saving a total collapse of about 15 people. Howe saw this
    and really grinned and pointed his guitar at us like "Gotcha!"
    >My most recent purchase was 'Present' by Van Der Graaf Generator.
    >This in itself is remarkable, since it is the first new album from the
    >band in thirty years, but is still pretty good.
    >
    >VDGG is not for the faint-hearted. One of their most (in)famous tracks
    >is the legendary 'A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers', which lasts around
    >26 minutes. Needless to say it is.. patchy. Some great ideas, though.
    >
    >Other things I've recently got into (with a little help from Optician)
    >include 'Rocker's Revenge' from the Bartman Music Project
    >( http://www.bartman-music.de ) and the fantastically weird and wonderful
    >'An Electric Storm' by White Noise.

    Look out! Here Come The Fleas!!!
    >Here's a couple of mine:
    >
    >Quest for the Sacred Jaguar
    >http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/music/jaguar6.ogg
    >
    >Legend of the Black Sun (originally a MIDI file by KoD.. my recording)
    >http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/music/lbs1.ogg
    >(The original is 48 minutes long, the longest tape I can use is about
    > 45 minutes, unless it's run at some strange lower speed.
    > This is just the first 15 minutes of the piece..)
    Sir Cabirus has sent me much VDGG. Nice expositional type stuff.
    -=UDIC=-
    Optician Dragon
    "Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
    -Alfred E. Neumann
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    "Ashikaga" <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would
    > suggest?

    I am finishing up on my yearly list of my current favorite songs
    culled from everything on my computer. I shall post it when I finish
    it...

    -Zac
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Eek! Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
    <snip>
    > This is what I'm currently listening to, well I'm currently watching the
    > awful Jian Gui 2 but you get the idea:

    <snipped the long list>

    POLY! Obviously I asked for a list because I want to sort of filter out
    what music I could listen next, not a long list like yours that only
    confuses me more.... Just give me a few songs that you like the best.
    PLEASE. :-)

    --
    Ashikaga a27
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Mon, 30 May 2005 19:26:05 GMT, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Eek! Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
    ><snip>
    >> This is what I'm currently listening to, well I'm currently watching the
    >> awful Jian Gui 2 but you get the idea:
    >
    ><snipped the long list>
    >
    >POLY! Obviously I asked for a list because I want to sort of filter out
    >what music I could listen next, not a long list like yours that only
    >confuses me more.... Just give me a few songs that you like the best.
    >PLEASE. :-)

    I could sooner choose which of my children I like the best! I like them
    all equally. :)

    --
    The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
    RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Words to the wise, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

    >The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

    Great, great movie with a phantastic sound track.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Tue, 31 May 2005 01:15:30 +0200, Claus Dragon
    <claus@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:

    >Words to the wise, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
    >

    >>The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
    >
    >Great, great movie with a phantastic sound track.

    A lot of whistling too.

    --
    The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
    RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Zac Bond wrote:

    > Check this out.
    > http://www.audiostiles.com/home.html
    >
    > Sounds potentially interesting but with high prices and onerous
    > limitations that pretty much kill any chance I'd ever use their service.

    I checked out their rates and their playlist samples.

    $20 (for the service) + $15 (for the music) for each hour of popular music
    you can hear on any radio station? Ridiculous.

    If they were actually introducing me to music I would like but have never
    been exposed to before then maybe they'd have something.

    --
    Cape Dweller Dragon
    Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.

    Ashikaga wrote:

    > Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would suggest?

    Lately I've been transferring music from vinyl to ogg so I haven't really
    been listening to a lot of new music, but a few relatively obscure but
    excellent artists are:

    Happy Rhodes
    http://www.auntiesocialmusic.com

    Devics
    http://www.devics.com/home.html

    Eric Matthews
    http://www.ericmatthewsmusic.com

    Granada
    http://www.granada.nu

    Shannon Wright
    http://www.knowwave.com/shannonwright
    http://www.epitonic.com/artists/shannonwright.html

    --
    Cape Dweller Dragon
    Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Eek! Polychromic wrote:
    > Ashikaga wrote:
    <snip>
    >>POLY! Obviously I asked for a list because I want to sort of filter out
    >>what music I could listen next, not a long list like yours that only
    >>confuses me more.... Just give me a few songs that you like the best.
    >>PLEASE. :-)
    >
    > I could sooner choose which of my children I like the best! I like them
    > all equally. :)

    You are so corny.

    --
    Ashikaga a27
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Eek! Cape Dweller wrote:
    > Ashikaga wrote:
    >
    >> Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would suggest?
    >
    > Lately I've been transferring music from vinyl to ogg so I haven't really
    > been listening to a lot of new music, but a few relatively obscure but
    > excellent artists are:
    >
    > Happy Rhodes
    > http://www.auntiesocialmusic.com
    >
    > Devics
    > http://www.devics.com/home.html
    >
    > Eric Matthews
    > http://www.ericmatthewsmusic.com
    >
    > Granada
    > http://www.granada.nu
    >
    > Shannon Wright
    > http://www.knowwave.com/shannonwright
    > http://www.epitonic.com/artists/shannonwright.html

    Your taste of music is more mellower than mine.... Weird. But some of
    those are indeed nice music.

    --
    Ashikaga a27
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Tue, 31 May 2005 18:53:17 GMT, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Eek! Cape Dweller wrote:
    >> Ashikaga wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would suggest?
    >>
    >> Lately I've been transferring music from vinyl to ogg so I haven't really
    >> been listening to a lot of new music, but a few relatively obscure but
    >> excellent artists are:
    >>
    >> Happy Rhodes
    >> http://www.auntiesocialmusic.com
    >>
    >> Devics
    >> http://www.devics.com/home.html
    >>
    >> Eric Matthews
    >> http://www.ericmatthewsmusic.com
    >>
    >> Granada
    >> http://www.granada.nu
    >>
    >> Shannon Wright
    >> http://www.knowwave.com/shannonwright
    >> http://www.epitonic.com/artists/shannonwright.html
    >
    >Your taste of music is more mellower than mine.... Weird. But some of
    >those are indeed nice music.
    Ashi, you sound like a person that should be into the blues. You ever
    listen to some good blues?
    -=UDIC=-
    Optician Dragon
    "Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
    -Alfred E. Neumann
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Eek! Optician Dragon wrote:
    > Ashikaga wrote:
    <snip>
    >>Your taste of music is more mellower than mine.... Weird. But some of
    >>those are indeed nice music.
    > Ashi, you sound like a person that should be into the blues. You ever
    > listen to some good blues?

    I am indeed classically trained, so I do like jazz and stuff (blues is a
    sub-category of jazz). Recently, I've been listen to Coldplay and stuff
    because that's what my workplace plays.... Some of my co-workers hate me
    for liking Gappy music, but whatever....

    --
    Ashikaga a27
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Ashikaga wrote:

    > Your taste of music is more mellower than mine.... Weird. But some of
    > those are indeed nice music.

    I suppose for the most part I prefer mellow music, probably because it's
    playing in the background for most of the day and I also like to unwind to
    music. Of course I like plenty of loud stuff too:

    Billy Talent
    http://www.billytalent.com
    (this is a great site - they stream entire songs from their album)

    The Tea Party
    http://www.teaparty.com/

    Copyright
    http://www.gangland.com/Copyright.html

    Hmm... All Canadian bands. I guess I like my rage local.

    --
    Cape Dweller Dragon
    Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 03:18:36 GMT, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Eek! Optician Dragon wrote:
    >> Ashikaga wrote:
    ><snip>
    >>>Your taste of music is more mellower than mine.... Weird. But some of
    >>>those are indeed nice music.
    >> Ashi, you sound like a person that should be into the blues. You ever
    >> listen to some good blues?
    >
    >I am indeed classically trained, so I do like jazz and stuff (blues is a
    >sub-category of jazz). Recently, I've been listen to Coldplay and stuff
    >because that's what my workplace plays.... Some of my co-workers hate me
    >for liking Gappy music, but whatever....
    Next time you have some spare cash, pick up the John Mayall album,
    Stories.
    -=UDIC=-
    Optician Dragon
    "Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
    -Alfred E. Neumann
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Ashikaga the Forcible Masked Drag Racer of Niceness wrote:
    >Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would suggest?

    I mostly listen to comedic (Weird Al Yankovic), show tune (Rogers and
    Hammerstein and Disney) and other rather light fanciful stuff (TV
    theme songs). I also listen to some classical music.

    Just recently I got the incomparable William Shatner's new CD Has
    Been, I like it but I would only really recommend the track "Common
    People" for general consumption. I also got a compilation of Leonard
    Nimoy and William Shatner music from the late 60s early 70s. Shatner's
    take on Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds as an irrisitable kitch appeal
    for me, otherwise not really much to recommend it, Nimoy does some
    passable folk sining mixed in with some really silly stuff (The Ballad
    of Bilbo Baggins is a hoot).

    I have also been checking out some really old songs free for download
    off a Canada archives site:
    http://www.collectionscanada.ca/gramophone/index-e.html

    I recomend "Cows may come and cows may go but the bull goes on
    forever". It is a very scratchy recording but still amusing. Lots of
    other music there and most of it is rather obscure. I have not
    listened to much else to give recommendations. Still you can't beat
    the price. ;-)
    --
    d e+ N- T- Om++ UK!1!2!3!4!56A78!9 u uC uF- uG+ uLB+ uA nC nR nH+ nP
    nI+ nPT nS+ nT- y- a26, Captain in the Cinnaguard, Weirdo, Blue Bow

    Eek! Cape Dweller wrote:
    > Ashikaga wrote:
    >
    >> Your taste of music is more mellower than mine.... Weird. But some of
    >> those are indeed nice music.
    >
    > I suppose for the most part I prefer mellow music, probably because it's
    > playing in the background for most of the day and I also like to unwind to
    > music. Of course I like plenty of loud stuff too:
    >
    > Billy Talent
    > http://www.billytalent.com
    > (this is a great site - they stream entire songs from their album)

    Yeah, it's a great website, but I don't like punk rock....

    > The Tea Party
    > http://www.teaparty.com/

    This one is nice. Not my cup of tea, but it's not too bad.

    --
    Ashikaga a27
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Eek! Saint George's Dragon wrote:
    > Ashikaga the Forcible Masked Drag Racer of Niceness wrote:
    >>Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would suggest?
    >
    > I mostly listen to comedic (Weird Al Yankovic), show tune (Rogers and
    > Hammerstein and Disney) and other rather light fanciful stuff (TV
    > theme songs). I also listen to some classical music.
    >
    > Just recently I got the incomparable William Shatner's new CD Has
    > Been, I like it but I would only really recommend the track "Common
    > People" for general consumption. I also got a compilation of Leonard
    > Nimoy and William Shatner music from the late 60s early 70s. Shatner's
    > take on Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds as an irrisitable kitch appeal
    > for me, otherwise not really much to recommend it, Nimoy does some
    > passable folk sining mixed in with some really silly stuff (The Ballad
    > of Bilbo Baggins is a hoot).
    >
    > I have also been checking out some really old songs free for download
    > off a Canada archives site:
    > http://www.collectionscanada.ca/gramophone/index-e.html
    >
    > I recomend "Cows may come and cows may go but the bull goes on
    > forever". It is a very scratchy recording but still amusing. Lots of
    > other music there and most of it is rather obscure. I have not
    > listened to much else to give recommendations. Still you can't beat
    > the price. ;-)

    You have a weird taste for music....

    --
    Ashikaga a27
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Ashikaga wrote:

    >> Billy Talent
    >> http://www.billytalent.com
    >> (this is a great site - they stream entire songs from their album)
    >
    > Yeah, it's a great website, but I don't like punk rock....

    I can't say that I like punk rock either, but certain bands do strike a
    chord with me (nyuk nyuk).

    Similarly I generally dislike "country" music but there are a few gems
    like Trespassers William, Lowen & Navarro, Maria McKee.

    >> The Tea Party
    >> http://www.teaparty.com/
    >
    > This one is nice. Not my cup of tea, but it's not too bad.

    Haven't you heard of them before?

    --
    Cape Dweller Dragon
    Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 03:22:09 -0400, Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net>
    wrote:

    >>> The Tea Party
    >>> http://www.teaparty.com/
    >>
    >> This one is nice. Not my cup of tea, but it's not too bad.
    >
    >Haven't you heard of them before?

    No, is it a local band from Boston?

    --
    The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
    RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Eek! Polychromic wrote:

    >>> This one is nice. Not my cup of tea, but it's not too bad.
    >>
    >>Haven't you heard of them before?
    >
    > No, is it a local band from Boston?

    I've never heard of it, but it ain't no Boston Tea Party. :-p

    Anyways, to Cape, I am only picking up some English CDs along the way
    nowadays, so don't expect me to know a lot of them. BTW, what are the
    definitive CLASSICS of American songs. Don't tell me YMCA, or Louie,
    Louie. I am thinking about getting some of the real classics from each
    eras, anything from "It's a Wonderful World" to "Lovin' You" are fine with
    me. I like some lyrics that are meaningful.

    So if there are some songs that just strike you emotionally, please do
    share. :-) That's EVERYONE. SHARE!

    --
    Ashikaga a27
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Ashikaga wrote:

    > I've never heard of it, but it ain't no Boston Tea Party. :-p

    They're from Windsor, Ontario actually (Windsor is directly across the
    border from Detroit). They did most of their early recording/mixing in the
    States but for the last two albums a significant amount was done in Canada.

    > BTW, what are the definitive CLASSICS of American songs.

    I don't know why you would limit it to American songs. Anyway:

    "Time in a Bottle" - Jim Croce
    "American Pie" - Don McLean
    "Space Oddity" - David Bowie
    "American Woman" - The Guess Who (or substitute "These Eyes", "Laughing",
    "Undun", "Share the Land", all classics in their own right)

    Maybe more later if I have the time :)

    --
    Cape Dweller Dragon
    Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    > Anyways, to Cape, I am only picking up some English CDs along the
    > way
    > nowadays, so don't expect me to know a lot of them. BTW, what are
    > the
    > definitive CLASSICS of American songs. Don't tell me YMCA, or
    > Louie,
    > Louie. I am thinking about getting some of the real classics from
    > each
    > eras, anything from "It's a Wonderful World" to "Lovin' You" are
    > fine with
    > me. I like some lyrics that are meaningful.

    Get a little Jimmie Rodgers "Blue Yodel (T for Texas)" and then some
    Johnny Cash. You can buy the entire output of some of the blues
    giants on one CD, too, like Willie McTell, Robert Johnson, etc. Not
    sure about McTell, actually,

    If you feel like deciding what record was the first tock and roll
    record, you should check out Big Joe Turner with "Honey, Hush" and
    "Shake, Rattle and Roll" along with the Crows' "Gee" and the Chords'
    "Sh-Boom" in doo-wop land.

    Another contender is Jackie Brenston's "Rocket '88" although I think
    it was credited to someone else.

    Not exactly "classics" but if you want a taste of history you can
    listen to some of the field recordings from Alan Lomax from the 30's.

    Finally, you must check out the oldest known recording, from 1878, at:
    http://tinfoil.com/

    -Ophidian
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Eek! Cape Dweller wrote:
    > Ashikaga wrote:
    <snip>
    >> BTW, what are the definitive CLASSICS of American songs.
    >
    > I don't know why you would limit it to American songs. Anyway:
    >
    > "Time in a Bottle" - Jim Croce
    > "American Pie" - Don McLean
    > "Space Oddity" - David Bowie
    > "American Woman" - The Guess Who (or substitute "These Eyes", "Laughing",
    > "Undun", "Share the Land", all classics in their own right)
    >
    > Maybe more later if I have the time :)

    I like "Time in a Bottle", but the others are not my favorites (actually
    that country sort of style isn't my typical style either, but I like the
    lyrics).

    Anyways, I am going to start another thread to demonstrates what I was
    looking for by posting some lyrics of the songs I am listening and I want
    some more similar to it.

    --
    Ashikaga a27
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Words to the wise, Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net> wrote:

    >> BTW, what are the definitive CLASSICS of American songs.
    >
    >I don't know why you would limit it to American songs. Anyway:
    >

    >"American Pie" - Don McLean

    I still say that I like Madonnas version is far more than the
    original. I normally dont like Madonna.

    Must be something about that songwriter stuff, which I never can get
    into. Take Bob Dylan for example, I like his songs but only if they
    are played by other people.
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Ashikaga wrote:

    > I like "Time in a Bottle", but the others are not my favorites (actually
    > that country sort of style isn't my typical style either, but I like the
    > lyrics).

    I think there's a big difference between "country" and "folk"!

    > Anyways, I am going to start another thread to demonstrates what I was
    > looking for by posting some lyrics of the songs I am listening and I want
    > some more similar to it.

    Well if you just want similar music to what you already listen to then why
    did you ask for American classics?

    --
    Cape Dweller Dragon
    Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Claus Dragon wrote:

    >>"American Pie" - Don McLean
    >
    > I still say that I like Madonnas version is far more than the original. I
    > normally dont like Madonna.
    >
    > Must be something about that songwriter stuff, which I never can get into.
    > Take Bob Dylan for example, I like his songs but only if they are played
    > by other people.

    In general it's usually the first version of a song you hear that is your
    favourite. That's what people say, anyway - maybe the most popular version
    is the one that gets played the most so it's more likely to be the first
    one heard.

    Anyway, I tend to like songs coming from the songwriter, since they tend
    to have more emotion (or at least the right one for the song).

    --
    Cape Dweller Dragon
    Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Ashikaga wrote:

    > There are exceptions. Like I like "Here Comes the Sun" neither the
    > original Beatles version nor the version I heard from Gap. Actually the
    > Gap version is okay, but I've found other ones that are better.

    Do you like Sandy Farina's version?

    --
    Cape Dweller Dragon
    Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    "Claus Dragon" <claus@ultima-dragons.org> wrote in message

    > Must be something about that songwriter stuff, which I never can get
    > into. Take Bob Dylan for example, I like his songs but only if they
    > are played by other people.

    LOL, I am in this camp too but it's just 'cause Dylan's voice can
    really grate on my ears sometimes. Dylan's voice, IMO, does best on
    the long rambling songs like "Desolation Row" and "Mr. Tambourine
    Man."

    -Ophidian
  34. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Eek! Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net> wrote:
    > Ashikaga wrote:
    <snip>
    >> Anyways, I am going to start another thread to demonstrates what I was
    >> looking for by posting some lyrics of the songs I am listening and I want
    >> some more similar to it.
    >
    > Well if you just want similar music to what you already listen to then why
    > did you ask for American classics?

    My fault. I mean some American musics that are good enough to be classics.
    Meaning they would endure the test of time and people would still want to

    Ashikaga a27
  35. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Eek! Cape Dweller wrote:
    > Ashikaga wrote:
    >
    >> There are exceptions. Like I like "Here Comes the Sun" neither the
    >> original Beatles version nor the version I heard from Gap. Actually the
    >> Gap version is okay, but I've found other ones that are better.
    >
    > Do you like Sandy Farina's version?

    Couldn't find her. But the one I heard in Gap was by a guy, not a girl.
    "Just Can't Get Enough" was by a female singer, but not "Here Comes the
    Sun".

    --
    Ashikaga a27
  36. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Words to the wise, Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net> wrote:

    >In general it's usually the first version of a song you hear that is your
    >favourite. That's what people say, anyway - maybe the most popular version
    >is the one that gets played the most so it's more likely to be the first
    >one heard.

    Good point that, have to stress my memory for details whether to
    support or undermine this hypothesis.

    >Anyway, I tend to like songs coming from the songwriter, since they tend
    >to have more emotion (or at least the right one for the song).

    Hm, emotions .... it is very difficult to say or do anything about
    them.

    For instance, once, I did an interview with a band whose songs I
    thought to be at least cynical if not outright funny. When asking the
    band whether they think they are getting applied the "joke band
    sticker", they just said, "well, we definitely are serious. No, no
    winking, we are serious, the songs are serious".

    Hm, I have yet to be so wrong again. But when taking a
    fan-journalist's opinion and weighing it against the opinion of the
    main songwriter of the band, then it appears as if the latter is the
    correct one.
  37. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Eek! Claus Dragon wrote:
    >Cape Dweller wrote:
    <snip>
    >>Anyway, I tend to like songs coming from the songwriter, since they tend
    >>to have more emotion (or at least the right one for the song).
    >
    > Hm, emotions .... it is very difficult to say or do anything about
    > them.
    >
    > For instance, once, I did an interview with a band whose songs I
    > thought to be at least cynical if not outright funny. When asking the
    > band whether they think they are getting applied the "joke band
    > sticker", they just said, "well, we definitely are serious. No, no
    > winking, we are serious, the songs are serious".
    >
    > Hm, I have yet to be so wrong again. But when taking a
    > fan-journalist's opinion and weighing it against the opinion of the
    > main songwriter of the band, then it appears as if the latter is the
    > correct one.

    Sometimes the authors/artists mentality is not very similar to ours. In
    fact, it's known that many authors don't know what exactly made their books
    successful.

    --
    Ashikaga a27
  38. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Ashikaga wrote:

    >> For instance, once, I did an interview with a band whose songs I thought
    >> to be at least cynical if not outright funny. When asking the band
    >> whether they think they are getting applied the "joke band sticker",
    >> they just said, "well, we definitely are serious. No, no winking, we are
    >> serious, the songs are serious".
    >
    > Sometimes the authors/artists mentality is not very similar to ours. In
    > fact, it's known that many authors don't know what exactly made their
    > books successful.

    This reminds me of a European film director who made a "serious" film and
    was mortified that the audience laughed through it. As I recall it was
    about a guy who falls for a woman but imagines she's either a young
    boy or the Virgin Mary when they make love, then falls in love with one of
    her other boyfriends until he gets killed by a pipe through the eye during
    a car accident. Great special effects for that ;)

    --
    Cape Dweller Dragon
    Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
  39. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Eek! Cape Dweller wrote:
    > Ashikaga wrote:
    <snip>
    >> Sometimes the authors/artists mentality is not very similar to ours. In
    >> fact, it's known that many authors don't know what exactly made their
    >> books successful.
    >
    > This reminds me of a European film director who made a "serious" film and
    > was mortified that the audience laughed through it. As I recall it was
    > about a guy who falls for a woman but imagines she's either a young
    > boy or the Virgin Mary when they make love, then falls in love with one of
    > her other boyfriends until he gets killed by a pipe through the eye during
    > a car accident. Great special effects for that ;)

    I think the director didn't do enough post production and editing.... They
    should have caught such obvious potential shortfalls while they watched
    their own films a million times....

    --
    Ashikaga a27
  40. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Quoth Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net>:
    > Ashikaga wrote:

    >> I like "Time in a Bottle", but the others are not my favorites
    >> (actually that country sort of style isn't my typical style
    >> either, but I like the lyrics).
    >
    > I think there's a big difference between "country" and "folk"!

    Unquestionably. I'll listen to the latter, for starters.

    I must admit, when I saw Time in a Bottle being described as country, I
    did blink a bit. Of course, the version I heard first was the one
    perfomed by the Muppets, so that's my favourite. IMHO, it's actually
    rather more emotional than the original.

    \^\^//
    ,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
    | \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
    \ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
    \ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
    ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________
  41. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Eek! Samurai wrote:
    > Quoth Cape Dweller:
    >> Ashikaga wrote:
    >
    >>> I like "Time in a Bottle", but the others are not my favorites
    >>> (actually that country sort of style isn't my typical style
    >>> either, but I like the lyrics).
    >>
    >> I think there's a big difference between "country" and "folk"!
    >
    > Unquestionably. I'll listen to the latter, for starters.
    >
    > I must admit, when I saw Time in a Bottle being described as country, I
    > did blink a bit. Of course, the version I heard first was the one
    > perfomed by the Muppets, so that's my favourite. IMHO, it's actually
    > rather more emotional than the original.

    I like folks, but no so for most country musics (there are always
    exceptions of course).

    Anyways, I am not very keen on these kinds of musics. I can't even
    distinguish a motown from your typical pop. I am only a beginner for these
    kinds of music and that's why I need you guys' suggestion. But I suppose I
    have a very narrow scope of the music I like..., which really doesn't help
    either.... :-(

    --
    Ashikaga a27
  42. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Quoth Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com>:
    > Anyways, I am not very keen on these kinds of musics. I can't
    > even distinguish a motown from your typical pop. I am only a
    > beginner for these kinds of music and that's why I need you guys'
    > suggestion.

    Recommendations are always a little dangerous, though, because tastes
    vary so much. There are probably people out there who think Die
    Apokalyptischen Reiter is easy listening. :D

    > But I suppose I have a very narrow scope of the music
    > I like..., which really doesn't help either.... :-(

    I'm quite lucky in that regard. While I don't like /everything/,
    nearly every genre -- even a few bits of country -- includes songs
    that I enjoy. And since I don't care about music very much, it
    doesn't trouble me when I have to skip over stuff I don't like very
    much.

    I'd probably avoid playing the radio if I were driving through the
    Deep South, though. :)

    \^\^//
    ,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
    | \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
    \ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
    \ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
    ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________
  43. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Ashikaga wrote:

    > I think the director didn't do enough post production and editing....
    > They should have caught such obvious potential shortfalls while they
    > watched their own films a million times....

    It was a fairly low budget artsy film, so it didn't have much
    post-production or editing. To the director's chagrin.

    --
    Cape Dweller Dragon
    Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
  44. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Eek! Cape Dweller wrote:
    <snip>
    > You could also argue that the artist placed too much emphasis on the idea
    > that the audience must derive the same meaning from the music as the
    > artist intended.

    Personally, since I also try to write some novels (the idea is pretty much
    the same between novel-writing and song-writing), I think I am a little
    bitchy on how to deliver the book so readers will get the exactly the same
    meaning that I intended, which is not always realistic.

    --
    Ashikaga a27
  45. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Eek! Samurai wrote:
    > Quoth Ashikaga:
    >> Anyways, I am not very keen on these kinds of musics. I can't
    >> even distinguish a motown from your typical pop. I am only a
    >> beginner for these kinds of music and that's why I need you guys'
    >> suggestion.
    >
    > Recommendations are always a little dangerous, though, because tastes
    > vary so much. There are probably people out there who think Die
    > Apokalyptischen Reiter is easy listening. :D

    True, true. You've been telling me that for quite a few times, which still
    doesn't stop me from asking for them. I just need some brainstorming
    ideas. It doesn't hurt you guys if I don't like most of your suggestions,
    right?

    Anyways, thank you guys for your inputs. They are very helpful and
    introduced me to many artists that otherwise I wouldn't have heard of.

    >> But I suppose I have a very narrow scope of the music
    >> I like..., which really doesn't help either.... :-(
    >
    > I'm quite lucky in that regard. While I don't like /everything/,
    > nearly every genre -- even a few bits of country -- includes songs
    > that I enjoy. And since I don't care about music very much, it
    > doesn't trouble me when I have to skip over stuff I don't like very
    > much.
    >
    > I'd probably avoid playing the radio if I were driving through the
    > Deep South, though. :)

    This reminds me of my shopping for suits experience. I bet all the
    salespeople I've talked with must be so angry at me. I'm so specific on
    every detail that I just can't find a suit that I like. My taste is so
    limited. Even when I am being a little lenient, like I am okay with
    two-button now, though I still prefer a three-button jacket, but I still
    hate the current trend of having two vents instead of one. I like things
    that are simple.

    --
    Ashikaga a27
  46. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Quoth Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com>:
    > True, true. You've been telling me that for quite a few times,
    > which still doesn't stop me from asking for them. I just need
    > some brainstorming ideas. It doesn't hurt you guys if I don't
    > like most of your suggestions, right?

    I'm not saying you shouldn't ask for recommendations -- far from it.
    As long as you're aware that a lot of them won't tally with your own
    tastes, your fine. :)

    \^\^//
    ,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
    | \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
    \ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29

Computers Games Video Games