Alkatrazz

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2002
I've got Logitech's Z5300 and don't know which is the best sound card for them : M-Audio Revo 7.1 or Audigy2 (not ZS or Platinum one).I want them for music/movies/games - in this order.
Thanks in advance!

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
I'd say the Revoution would be the better choice for music (The reviewers say Revo is a better sounding card in that it is cleaner and more open in its reproduction while Audigy2 is overall warmer sounding and less dynamic). But frankly, I doubt if you can feel a tremendous amount of difference between the two with computer speakers.

Other considerations: Audigy2 has DVD-Audio support and has better gaming abilities to its defence. And if you plan to record something, the Revo will be better (although none of them are that suitable for multi-track recording).

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
Although I've NEVER had any problems with Creative drivers (I've got an Audigy on a P3/BX system) I've seen/read just too many complaints from people about their drivers to say they're OK for sure.

Other cards tend to have less bloatware included with their drivers (e.g. although I like the Creative demoes and they're generally informative, you don't normally need them more than twice and they're all copied to the HDD which is IMO useless; and don't even make me start about that silly Creative startup application) and the drivers themselves are normally lighter in size. Revo had early driver problems (notably audio/video sync problems with tuner/all-in-wonder kind of video cards) but AFAIK they're all solved by now. IIRC the reviews, the Revo is the worst performing Envy24HT card (among the likes of Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 and Terratec Aureon series) out there in games (but NOT by a noticable enough margin).

TRENDING THREADS