Ouch! Charlie Horse

I wonder where that term came from. Wikipedia has some guesses but
doesn't really know. What do they call it in other countries? A bad
muscle cramp of the calf muscle that often occurs at night. I got one
yesterday and the soreness is just now leaving. I haven't had one for
years, maybe even a decade.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On Tue, 31 May 2005 05:35:05 -0500, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I wonder where that term came from. Wikipedia has some guesses but
>doesn't really know. What do they call it in other countries? A bad
>muscle cramp of the calf muscle that often occurs at night. I got one
>yesterday and the soreness is just now leaving. I haven't had one for
>years, maybe even a decade.
Hmmm,
Here's what The Word Detective has to say:
http://www.word-detective.com/052699.html#charleyhorse

I guess you're getting old -welcome to the random soreness group!
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
-Alfred E. Neumann

On Tue, 31 May 2005 11:23:05 GMT, Optician Dragon
<DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 31 May 2005 05:35:05 -0500, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>
>>I wonder where that term came from. Wikipedia has some guesses but
>>doesn't really know. What do they call it in other countries? A bad
>>muscle cramp of the calf muscle that often occurs at night. I got one
>>yesterday and the soreness is just now leaving. I haven't had one for
>>years, maybe even a decade.
>Hmmm,
>Here's what The Word Detective has to say:
>http://www.word-detective.com/052699.html#charleyhorse

Yeah, that's about what the wikipedia said - just guesses but nothing
definitive.

>I guess you're getting old -welcome to the random soreness group!

Well, it wasn't really random. If it hurt for no reason then I'd worry.

--

Eek! Polychromic wrote:
> I wonder where that term came from. Wikipedia has some guesses but
> doesn't really know. What do they call it in other countries? A bad
> muscle cramp of the calf muscle that often occurs at night. I got one
> yesterday and the soreness is just now leaving. I haven't had one for
> years, maybe even a decade.

Charlie/Charley Horse.... Weird term. We call it pulling tendon in
Chinese.

--
Ashikaga a27

Ashikaga the Forcible Masked Drag Racer of Niceness wrote:
>Eek! Polychromic wrote:
>> I wonder where that term came from. Wikipedia has some guesses but
>> doesn't really know. What do they call it in other countries? A bad
>> muscle cramp of the calf muscle that often occurs at night. I got one
>> yesterday and the soreness is just now leaving. I haven't had one for
>> years, maybe even a decade.
>Charlie/Charley Horse.... Weird term. We call it pulling tendon in
>Chinese.

Okay I will bite. If you call cramps of the muscle pulling a tendon,
what do you call actually straining/ pulling a tendon or muscle?

Luckily I have never had a Charlie Horse AFAIK. We call them charlie
horses up here in Canada too, otherwise no other name I know except
cramp. I have heard Charlie Horse used as a name for a muscle cramp
that occured (spontaneously) while awake.
--
d e+ N- T- Om++ UK!1!2!3!4!56A78!9 u uC uF- uG+ uLB+ uA nC nR nH+ nP
nI+ nPT nS+ nT- y- a26, Captain in the Cinnaguard, Weirdo, Blue Bow

On Tue, 31 May 2005 22:56:10 GMT, Saint George's Dragon
<firstname_lastname@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>Ashikaga the Forcible Masked Drag Racer of Niceness wrote:
>>Eek! Polychromic wrote:
>>> I wonder where that term came from. Wikipedia has some guesses but
>>> doesn't really know. What do they call it in other countries? A bad
>>> muscle cramp of the calf muscle that often occurs at night. I got one
>>> yesterday and the soreness is just now leaving. I haven't had one for
>>> years, maybe even a decade.
>>Charlie/Charley Horse.... Weird term. We call it pulling tendon in
>>Chinese.
>
>Okay I will bite. If you call cramps of the muscle pulling a tendon,
>what do you call actually straining/ pulling a tendon or muscle?

Pulling a tendon is referred to as "breaking a bone" and straining a
muscle is called "getting a haircut". It's completely obvious!

>Luckily I have never had a Charlie Horse AFAIK. We call them charlie
>horses up here in Canada too, otherwise no other name I know except
>cramp. I have heard Charlie Horse used as a name for a muscle cramp
>that occured (spontaneously) while awake.

It is interesting to observe a positive feedback loop in action, even if
it does hurt. :)

--

Words to the wise, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

>I wonder where that term came from. Wikipedia has some guesses but
>doesn't really know. What do they call it in other countries? A bad
>muscle cramp of the calf muscle that often occurs at night. I got one
>yesterday and the soreness is just now leaving. I haven't had one for
>years, maybe even a decade.

We dont have a word for that, as far as I can tell, therefore, we do
not know that sickness.

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Quoth Claus Dragon <claus@ultima-dragons.org>:
> We dont have a word for that, as far as I can tell, therefore, we do
> not know that sickness.

There's no specific reference to it in British English either, aside
from a piece in MB Games' Operation.

I suspect most Brits call it "that bloody cramp again!" :)
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

On Tue, 31 May 2005 23:26:59 +0100, Samurai <Samurai@dev.nul> wrote:

>Quoth Claus Dragon <claus@ultima-dragons.org>:
>> We dont have a word for that, as far as I can tell, therefore, we do
>> not know that sickness.
>
>There's no specific reference to it in British English either, aside
>from a piece in MB Games' Operation.
>
>I suspect most Brits call it "that bloody cramp again!" :)

Well, now you can call it a Poly Dragon! I'll be more famous in England
and Germany! Yay me!

--

Eek! Saint George's Dragon wrote:
> Ashikaga the Forcible Masked Drag Racer of Niceness wrote:
>>Eek! Polychromic wrote:
>>> I wonder where that term came from. Wikipedia has some guesses but
>>> doesn't really know. What do they call it in other countries? A bad
>>> muscle cramp of the calf muscle that often occurs at night. I got one
>>> yesterday and the soreness is just now leaving. I haven't had one for
>>> years, maybe even a decade.
>>Charlie/Charley Horse.... Weird term. We call it pulling tendon in
>>Chinese.
>
> Okay I will bite. If you call cramps of the muscle pulling a tendon,
> what do you call actually straining/ pulling a tendon or muscle?

You call it you got twisted on your ankles or wherever you did it.

--
Ashikaga a27

Samurai wrote:

> I suspect most Brits call it "that bloody cramp again!" :)

Here in Canada only women say that, about every month or so.

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.

"Polychromic" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I wonder where that term came from. Wikipedia has some guesses but
> doesn't really know. What do they call it in other countries? A bad
> muscle cramp of the calf muscle that often occurs at night. I got one
> yesterday and the soreness is just now leaving. I haven't had one for
> years, maybe even a decade.

(...haven't heard that term before... but the experience itself is quite
familiar. Interestingly, stretching out one's leg seems to help prevent it
as it begins; similarly with one's foot cramping.)

*winces, remembering horrible moments in the night, clutching one's calf and
concentrating on breathing as the pain mounted and then slowly, oh so slowly
died away*

--
The Triad

Charley Horse? According to Uncle John's Bathroom Readers, which quote
numerous sources, The term Charley Horse comes from the time of one of the
King Charles, in England, who setup the police or better known as Bobby's.
As they didn't get enough money so that they could all ride on horses? The
ones that walked claimed they were riding Charlie's horses.

Of course, after a couple days? It might have felt more like it. I'll try
and find which Reader had that and get the sources that they used, if you
like.

Excuse the top posting, but with this reader? I've no choice.

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Quoth Nkognito <nk0gn1t0@pantsaol.com>:
> Charley Horse? According to Uncle John's Bathroom Readers, which quote
> numerous sources, The term Charley Horse comes from the time of one of the
> King Charles, in England, who setup the police or better known as Bobby's.

I fear your facts are a little off. The bobbies were named after
Robert Peel (1788-1850), who created the force in 1829. Charles II had
already been dead years by this point.

> As they didn't get enough money so that they could all ride on horses? The
> ones that walked claimed they were riding Charlie's horses.

Peel's force was called the Bow Street Runners because they /all/
patrolled on foot.

A more likely etymology for the phrase, given that Britons never use
it, is here: http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-cha1.htm

> Of course, after a couple days? It might have felt more like it. I'll try
> and find which Reader had that and get the sources that they used, if you
> like.
>
> Excuse the top posting, but with this reader? I've no choice.

CTRL+End is your friend. :)
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

Eek! Polychromic wrote:
<snip>
> Maybe Taiwan could consolidate their independence from China by formally
> adopting a different language.

Humph! Our Mandarin Chinese is more correct than theirs, btw (sounds
familiar?).

--
Ashikaga a27

Samurai wrote:

> A more likely etymology for the phrase, given that Britons never use it,
> is here: http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-cha1.htm

"It refers to a painful involuntary cramp in an arm or leg muscle, usually
that of an athlete, as a result of a muscular strain or a blow."

That explains why Poly rarely gets them ;)

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.

Ok, so now I am curious and went looking with Google for an answer.

Found this, link follows.

: Where did the phrase "charlie horse" come from and what does it mean?

Nobody knows. But here are two theories:

CHARLEY HORSE -- "Back in 1946 the 'Journal of the American Medical
Association' published an article entitled 'Treatment of the Charley Horse,'
rather than 'Treatment of Injury to Quadriceps Femoris.' This would indicate
that 'charley horse' has been a part of formal English for at least 50
years. But did this term for a 'leg cramp' arise from a lame horse named
Charley that pulled a roller across the infield in the Chicago White Sox
ballpark in the 1890s? That's the old story, and there was such a horse, but
the expression may have been printed several years before his baseball days,
in 1888, to describe a ballplayer's stiffness or lameness. Another
derivation that seems likely but hasn't been proved traces 'charley horse'
to the constables, or Charleys, of 17th century England. According to this
theory, 'Charleys,' for 'local police,' survived in America through the 19th
century and because aching legs were an occupational disease among
Charleys,' ballplayers suffering such maladies were compare to the coopers
and said to be 'weary from riding Charley's horse.'" From the "Encyclopedia
of Word and Phrase Origins" by Robert Hendrickson (Facts on File, New York,
1997).

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/11/messages/176.html

Polychromic wrote:
> I wonder where that term came from. Wikipedia has some guesses but
> doesn't really know. What do they call it in other countries? A bad
> muscle cramp of the calf muscle that often occurs at night. I got one
> yesterday and the soreness is just now leaving. I haven't had one for
> years, maybe even a decade.

Not Charlie! SMITH!

-Lumina Dragon

Ashikaga wrote:
> Eek! Polychromic wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>Maybe Taiwan could consolidate their independence from China by formally
>>adopting a different language.
>

> Humph! Our Mandarin Chinese is more correct than theirs, btw (sounds
> familiar?).

So your Mandarin is like our English, and their Mandarin is like Sammy's
English?

-Lumina Dragon

Eek! Lumina Dragon wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
>> Eek! Polychromic wrote:
<snip>

>>>Maybe Taiwan could consolidate their independence from China by formally
>>>adopting a different language.
>>
>> Humph! Our Mandarin Chinese is more correct than theirs, btw (sounds
>> familiar?).
>
> So your Mandarin is like our English, and their Mandarin is like Sammy's
> English?

Sort of. Because our Mandarin is much more proper. But also not quite the
same, because mainland China's Mandarin you would hear is a little
peasant-culture.... They use some of the slangs that sound just plain rude
in our ears. It may have been because there have been consistant public
education in Taiwan for its people. OTOH, not everyone in mainland China
received education for quite sometime during that Cultural Revolution era.

Not to mention simplified Chinese scripture is just plain ugly.... I still
don't know why mainland China just don't recognize Taiwan is a seperate
country. The history and culture is just way too different now.

--
Ashikaga a27

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Quoth Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com>:
> Eek! Lumina Dragon wrote:
>>> Humph! Our Mandarin Chinese is more correct than theirs, btw
>>> (sounds familiar?).
>>
>> So your Mandarin is like our English, and their Mandarin is like
>> Sammy's English?
>
> Sort of. Because our Mandarin is much more proper.

So in fact the exact opposite of what Lumina was saying, then. >:)

\^\^//

Samurai wrote:
> Quoth Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com>:

>>>So your Mandarin is like our English, and their Mandarin is like
>>>Sammy's English?
>>
>>Sort of. Because our Mandarin is much more proper.
>
> So in fact the exact opposite of what Lumina was saying, then. >:)

No, I'd say it concurs with what I said.

-Lumina Dragon

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Quoth Lumina Dragon <kewhitte@hotmail.com>:
> Samurai wrote:
>> So in fact the exact opposite of what Lumina was saying, then. >:)
>
> No, I'd say it concurs with what I said.

That's only because you're using your crazy backwards doubletalk
variant of English. Were you to use the correct one, it would come out
the other way round. >:)

\^\^//

Samurai wrote:
> Quoth Lumina Dragon <kewhitte@hotmail.com>:
>
>>Samurai wrote:

>>>So in fact the exact opposite of what Lumina was saying, then. >:)
>>
>>No, I'd say it concurs with what I said.
>
> That's only because you're using your crazy backwards doubletalk
> variant of English. Were you to use the correct one, it would come out
> the other way round. >:)

No, but it can't be helped that you perceive it that way. I suppose that
those firmly convinced in their misguided ways, the truth would look as
falsehood.

-Lumina Dragon

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Quoth Lumina Dragon <kewhitte@hotmail.com>:
> No, but it can't be helped that you perceive it that way. I
> suppose that those firmly convinced in their misguided ways, the
> truth would look as falsehood.

The stone head next to me says you're lying. >:)

\^\^//