Best Quality Outdoor Speakers

Last response: in Home Audio
May 10, 2005 3:55:55 AM

I need to install some outdoor speakers above the patio in my house
and was looking around for high quality weatherproof or weather
resistent speakers.

There doesn't seem to be many available that I can see - Polk Audio,
Bose, Definitive Technology, etc.

Any suggestions?

David "The Hamster" Malone
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 6:36:06 PM

"David Malone" <malone@ca.ibm.com> wrote in message
news:D 5otab024qk@news3.newsguy.com...
>I need to install some outdoor speakers above the patio in my house
> and was looking around for high quality weatherproof or weather
> resistent speakers.
>
> There doesn't seem to be many available that I can see - Polk Audio,
> Bose, Definitive Technology, etc.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> David "The Hamster" Malone

Maybe you should ask your neighbors what kind of speakers they prefer
hearing. None would be my guess. I see some manufacturers are actually
making outdoor subwoofers! It's bad enough having to listen to the passing
boom boxes on wheels. Hopefully you don't have anyone living within
earshot.

Tim McTeague
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 7:51:59 PM

On 12 May 2005 14:36:06 GMT, "Tim McTeague" <mcteague@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Maybe you should ask your neighbors what kind of speakers they prefer
>hearing.

I get along with my neighbors just fine. I tend to use outdoor music
only for BBQ's and house parties... oh, and I always invite the
neighbors.

FWIW, I got some great ideas for outdoor quality speakers by e-mail
and I was able to audition some of them. Looks like I'll be buying a
pair of Speakercraft WS940s or WS950s.

http://www.speakercraft.com/our_products/wc/ws950.htm

David "The Hamster" Malone
May 12, 2005 7:53:13 PM

"Tim McTeague" <mcteague@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:D 5vpkm01n71@news2.newsguy.com...
> "David Malone" <malone@ca.ibm.com> wrote in message
> news:D 5otab024qk@news3.newsguy.com...
>>I need to install some outdoor speakers above the patio in my house
>> and was looking around for high quality weatherproof or weather
>> resistent speakers.
>>
>> There doesn't seem to be many available that I can see - Polk Audio,
>> Bose, Definitive Technology, etc.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> David "The Hamster" Malone
>
> Maybe you should ask your neighbors what kind of speakers they prefer
> hearing. None would be my guess. I see some manufacturers are actually
> making outdoor subwoofers! It's bad enough having to listen to the
> passing
> boom boxes on wheels. Hopefully you don't have anyone living within
> earshot.

All well and good, unless he himself is trying to drown out his neighbor's
speakers or woofers (read canines). You never know, I'm looking for good
sounding and not to large or heavy boombox myself :-).
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 12:09:35 AM

Perhaps something with a supertweeter and an "extremely high-pass"
x-over?!
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Norman M. Schwartz" <nmsz@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:D 5vu5902p86@news1.newsguy.com...
> "Tim McTeague" <mcteague@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:D 5vpkm01n71@news2.newsguy.com...
>> "David Malone" <malone@ca.ibm.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 5otab024qk@news3.newsguy.com...
>>>I need to install some outdoor speakers above the patio in my house
>>> and was looking around for high quality weatherproof or weather
>>> resistent speakers.
>>>
>>> There doesn't seem to be many available that I can see - Polk
>>> Audio,
>>> Bose, Definitive Technology, etc.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> David "The Hamster" Malone
>>
>> Maybe you should ask your neighbors what kind of speakers they
>> prefer
>> hearing. None would be my guess. I see some manufacturers are
>> actually
>> making outdoor subwoofers! It's bad enough having to listen to the
>> passing
>> boom boxes on wheels. Hopefully you don't have anyone living
>> within
>> earshot.
>
> All well and good, unless he himself is trying to drown out his
> neighbor's
> speakers or woofers (read canines). You never know, I'm looking for
> good
> sounding and not to large or heavy boombox myself :-).
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 7:22:49 PM

"David Malone" <malone@ca.ibm.com> wrote in message
news:D 5vu2v02p2v@news1.newsguy.com...
> On 12 May 2005 14:36:06 GMT, "Tim McTeague" <mcteague@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Maybe you should ask your neighbors what kind of speakers they prefer
>>hearing.
>
> I get along with my neighbors just fine. I tend to use outdoor music
> only for BBQ's and house parties... oh, and I always invite the
> neighbors.
>
> FWIW, I got some great ideas for outdoor quality speakers by e-mail
> and I was able to audition some of them. Looks like I'll be buying a
> pair of Speakercraft WS940s or WS950s.
>
> http://www.speakercraft.com/our_products/wc/ws950.htm
>
> David "The Hamster" Malone

Yeah, trouble is the sound still does not stop at your neighbor's yard. I
can hear the "music" from these outdoor parties a block away sometimes. I
just think it is more civilized, and neighborly, to keep your music inside.
Too many people just think of what they want and pay scant attention to how
it may affect others. As with car stereos, it is the bass that is most
offensive as it travels far with little attenuation, so hopefully you will
keep things in check. How would you feel if you had to listen to a
neighbor's rap/country/opera (whichever type you abhor) late into the night?

Tim McTeague
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 8:10:01 PM

On 13 May 2005 15:22:49 GMT, "Tim McTeague" <mcteague@comcast.net>
wrote:

>How would you feel if you had to listen to a
>neighbor's rap/country/opera (whichever type you abhor) late into the night?

Our city has by-laws that impose a 'quiet time' from 11:00pm to
6:00am. Violate that and the cops will be over to see you if anybody
complains. It never happens, of course, I live in a relatively
civilized neighborhood.

David "The Hamster" Malone
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 1:39:51 AM

"Tim McTeague" <mcteague@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:D 62go90bv9@news1.newsguy.com...
> "David Malone" <malone@ca.ibm.com> wrote in message
> news:D 5vu2v02p2v@news1.newsguy.com...
>> On 12 May 2005 14:36:06 GMT, "Tim McTeague" <mcteague@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Maybe you should ask your neighbors what kind of speakers they prefer
>>>hearing.
>>
>> I get along with my neighbors just fine. I tend to use outdoor music
>> only for BBQ's and house parties... oh, and I always invite the
>> neighbors.
>>
>> FWIW, I got some great ideas for outdoor quality speakers by e-mail
>> and I was able to audition some of them. Looks like I'll be buying a
>> pair of Speakercraft WS940s or WS950s.
>>
>> http://www.speakercraft.com/our_products/wc/ws950.htm
>>
>> David "The Hamster" Malone
>
> Yeah, trouble is the sound still does not stop at your neighbor's yard. I
> can hear the "music" from these outdoor parties a block away sometimes. I
> just think it is more civilized, and neighborly, to keep your music
> inside.
> Too many people just think of what they want and pay scant attention to
> how
> it may affect others. As with car stereos, it is the bass that is most
> offensive as it travels far with little attenuation, so hopefully you will
> keep things in check. How would you feel if you had to listen to a
> neighbor's rap/country/opera (whichever type you abhor) late into the
> night?

And how would you feel if you lived next door to a neighbor who has a
swimming pool replete with diving board and the neighborhood's children
enjoying themselves all day long, and then the adults late into the early
hours of the morn?
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 8:52:00 PM

"Norman M. Schwartz" <nmsz@optonline.net> wrote in message
> And how would you feel if you lived next door to a neighbor who has a
> swimming pool replete with diving board and the neighborhood's children
> enjoying themselves all day long, and then the adults late into the early
> hours of the morn?

I don't love that either. However, the sounds of kids playing can be more
easily reduced by closing windows. If someone has a car subwoofer or
backyard sound system the sound goes right through and there is no way I can
avoid hearing it. That is why I don't play music outside. If I want to do
that I use headphones. That, to me, seems the only civilized way to handle
it. The old adage goes: my right to swing my fist ends where your nose
begins.

Tim
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 8:38:02 PM

"Tim McTeague" <mcteague@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:D 65abg0srd@news2.newsguy.com...
> "Norman M. Schwartz" <nmsz@optonline.net> wrote in message
>> And how would you feel if you lived next door to a neighbor who has a
>> swimming pool replete with diving board and the neighborhood's children
>> enjoying themselves all day long, and then the adults late into the early
>> hours of the morn?
>
> I don't love that either. However, the sounds of kids playing can be more
> easily reduced by closing windows. If someone has a car subwoofer or
> backyard sound system the sound goes right through and there is no way I
> can
> avoid hearing it. That is why I don't play music outside. If I want to
> do
> that I use headphones. That, to me, seems the only civilized way to
> handle
> it. The old adage goes: my right to swing my fist ends where your nose
> begins.

If I wanted to be indoors and close the windows AND turn up the AC, I
wouldn't have asked about a good boombox for outdoors. In addition to young
children playing about a swimming pool, older children stay in their
driveways playing their car sound systems, and don't just pass by. The
boombox I inquired about wouldn't be in my neighbor's nose, but only on my
deck table along side my chair within my earshot. I learned all about the
use of outdoor type headphones with my first Sony Walkman WMF-100, perhaps
before you were born, and if I wanted to be inside and listen to music, I'd
fire up my Maggies (and close my windows). Try to enjoy the outside- you are
going to be inside for eternity.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 12:29:51 AM

"Norman M. Schwartz" <nmsz@optonline.net> wrote in message

> If I wanted to be indoors and close the windows AND turn up the AC, I
> wouldn't have asked about a good boombox for outdoors. In addition to
> young
> children playing about a swimming pool, older children stay in their
> driveways playing their car sound systems, and don't just pass by. The
> boombox I inquired about wouldn't be in my neighbor's nose, but only on my
> deck table along side my chair within my earshot. I learned all about the
> use of outdoor type headphones with my first Sony Walkman WMF-100, perhaps
> before you were born, and if I wanted to be inside and listen to music,
> I'd
> fire up my Maggies (and close my windows). Try to enjoy the outside- you
> are
> going to be inside for eternity.

What? You make a lot of assumptions about me. I am closer to 50 than 40
and have no idea of your age so why do you assume I was born after Walkmans?
My point is that music played outdoors, while enjoyed by you, is seldom
appreciated by others, and conversely. My guess is that as you are asking
what sort of sound system to use in the great outdoors you have given scant
attention to the concerns of others. I happen to love being outside and
regularly bike, kayak and hike. I have never thought of playing music while
doing these things. I happen to be a music lover and prefer it in the
foreground, not the background. Again, to repeat myself, your backyard
boombox will most likely be easily heard by your neighbors. The fact that
they may not voice a complaint does not mean they like it. A little
civility and concern for others goes a long way towards making our short
time on this rock more pleasant. Why have you dismissed Walkman style
players? A nice new MP3 player with Grado or Etymotic headphones will allow
you to enjoy your music without being a nuisance.

Tim
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 4:57:05 AM

[Moderator's note: This thread is ended. -- deb ]

"Tim McTeague" <mcteague@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:D 68bfv02obc@news1.newsguy.com...
> "Norman M. Schwartz" <nmsz@optonline.net> wrote in message
>>>
>> If I wanted to be indoors and close the windows AND turn up the AC, I
>> wouldn't have asked about a good boombox for outdoors. In addition to
>> young
>> children playing about a swimming pool, older children stay in their
>> driveways playing their car sound systems, and don't just pass by. The
>> boombox I inquired about wouldn't be in my neighbor's nose, but only on
>> my
>> deck table along side my chair within my earshot. I learned all about the
>> use of outdoor type headphones with my first Sony Walkman WMF-100,
>> perhaps
>> before you were born, and if I wanted to be inside and listen to music,
>> I'd
>> fire up my Maggies (and close my windows). Try to enjoy the outside- you
>> are
>> going to be inside for eternity.
>
> What? You make a lot of assumptions about me. I am closer to 50 than 40
> and have no idea of your age so why do you assume I was born after
> Walkmans?
> My point is that music played outdoors, while enjoyed by you, is seldom
> appreciated by others, and conversely. My guess is that as you are asking
> what sort of sound system to use in the great outdoors you have given
> scant
> attention to the concerns of others. I happen to love being outside and
> regularly bike, kayak and hike. I have never thought of playing music
> while
> doing these things. I happen to be a music lover and prefer it in the
> foreground, not the background. Again, to repeat myself, your backyard
> boombox will most likely be easily heard by your neighbors. The fact that
> they may not voice a complaint does not mean they like it. A little
> civility and concern for others goes a long way towards making our short
> time on this rock more pleasant. Why have you dismissed Walkman style
> players? A nice new MP3 player with Grado or Etymotic headphones will
> allow
> you to enjoy your music without being a nuisance.

I would be a nuisance to myself. I don't want any weight wrapped about my
head or anything stuck in my ears and have the responsibility to hear my
telephone or doorbell ring. When I take my Bose Wave Radio/CD to the deck,
place it on the table within arms reach of my chair as I always do, it is
not even audible in my own backyard (nor can it become more than barely
audible at its highest output level). The Bose is plugged into a system in
my dining area and I'm weary about constant unplugging of a $500 item for
this purpose, its antenna also being within its power cord. Since you appear
to be about 45 years old, what were you about 5 years old when the Sony
Walkman with its associated headphones appeared? Most importantly the music
is mastered to be heard on loudspeakers, and headphones which can be
pleasant enough are inappropriate to appreciate the music properly. This is
not my opinion but that of a record producer who was at Polygram/Universal,
or whatever they call themselves these days. I'll be 70 this year and not
healthy enough to "regularly bike, kayak and hike", but am healthy enough to
listen to loudspeakers in the outdoors which I will continue to do, as it in
fact disturbs no one, but perhaps the deer and squirrels.
!