Crossover Sources?

Last response: in Home Audio
May 10, 2005 3:57:38 AM

I'm interested where I might be able to buy a good 2 way electronic
crossover having fixed points and slopes following the specifications of my
loudspeaker manufacturer, ordinary RCA inputs and outputs are all that I
need. The speaker manufacturer said they use the Bryston, but knows people
do use others. I would not like to spend an amount of money equal to nearly
half the cost of the loudspeakers, and considerably less. The Bryston 10B
Standard lists for $2000.

More about : crossover sources

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 6:49:24 AM

On 9 May 2005 23:57:38 GMT, "Norman M. Schwartz" <nmsz@optonline.net>
wrote:

>I'm interested where I might be able to buy a good 2 way electronic
>crossover having fixed points and slopes following the specifications of my
>loudspeaker manufacturer, ordinary RCA inputs and outputs are all that I
>need. The speaker manufacturer said they use the Bryston, but knows people
>do use others. I would not like to spend an amount of money equal to nearly
>half the cost of the loudspeakers, and considerably less. The Bryston 10B
>Standard lists for $2000.

Try www.marchand.com and search also the PA and studio websites.

Kal
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 6:53:58 AM

Norman M. Schwartz wrote:
> I'm interested where I might be able to buy a good 2 way electronic
> crossover having fixed points and slopes following the specifications of my
> loudspeaker manufacturer, ordinary RCA inputs and outputs are all that I
> need. The speaker manufacturer said they use the Bryston, but knows people
> do use others. I would not like to spend an amount of money equal to nearly
> half the cost of the loudspeakers, and considerably less. The Bryston 10B
> Standard lists for $2000.

If you can find your way to fabricating interconnects with XLR connectors
at one end and RCA at the other, or have them made, I think you'd be
surprised to find just how good a Behringer crossover can be. A 2-way
Behringer CX2310 is all of $89 at Musiciansfriend.com. How can it be
so cheap? Chinese labor... Seriously. All this stuff made in China is
incredibly low priced. I ran one for a while in my home system and it
worked just fine. Phase corrected crossover is Linkwitz-Riley 24db/octave.

You can vary the crossover point and gain levels in each stage. It also
has a summed mono sub-woofer output. That's a lot of electronics for
$89. And if you don't like it, you can EBay the thing and you're out not
more than $30 maybe.

Another good source, probably more to what you're looking for, is Marchand
Electronics. He makes excellent crossovers, with fixed points/slopes with
Linkwitz-Riley 24db/octave. He also has one that is 48 db/octave. And there's
a much more pricey tube based crossover he does if you are up for the price
of about $1500.

http://www.marchandelec.com/

Russ
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 4:25:35 AM

"Norman M. Schwartz" <nmsz@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:D 5otdi024sp@news3.newsguy.com...
> I'm interested where I might be able to buy a good 2 way electronic
> crossover having fixed points and slopes following the specifications of
> my
> loudspeaker manufacturer, ordinary RCA inputs and outputs are all that I
> need. The speaker manufacturer said they use the Bryston, but knows people
> do use others. I would not like to spend an amount of money equal to
> nearly
> half the cost of the loudspeakers, and considerably less. The Bryston 10B
> Standard lists for $2000.

Thanks for your kind help Messrs. Rubinson and Button. I completed an order
at Marchand Electronics for a x-over. It wasn't exactly inexpensive, but
still about the cost 1/3 of a Bryston. The people at Marchand appear to be
very cordial and pleasant to deal with.
!