Reinstalling Windows XP Professional

How do I do a clean reinstallatoin of the OS? Meaning completely wipe out
the hard drive and then install the OS again. I have a Windows XP
Professional SP1 disk, but when I put it in it says because my computer has
SP2 which make the computer having the newer version of the Windows, so I
can't re-install it unless I restart my computer and have my disk in there
and "boot from the disk", but I don't know how to do that either so if anyone
can help me that'll be great. Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about reinstalling windows professional

    kirkycake wrote:

    > How do I do a clean reinstallatoin of the OS? Meaning completely wipe out
    > the hard drive and then install the OS again. I have a Windows XP
    > Professional SP1 disk, but when I put it in it says because my computer has
    > SP2 which make the computer having the newer version of the Windows, so I
    > can't re-install it unless I restart my computer and have my disk in there
    > and "boot from the disk", but I don't know how to do that either so if anyone
    > can help me that'll be great. Thanks

    Clean Install Windows XP

    Note that if you do a clean install all programs and data will be lost.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    To do a clean install boot the Windows XP install CD-Rom. When you get to
    the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions found. After you
    delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again restart the pc booting
    the CD-Rom to avoid unexpected drive letter assignments with your new
    install.

    Be sure to apply SP2 or at least these two below to your new install before
    connecting to any network.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "kirkycake" wrote:
    | How do I do a clean reinstallatoin of the OS? Meaning completely wipe out
    | the hard drive and then install the OS again. I have a Windows XP
    | Professional SP1 disk, but when I put it in it says because my computer
    has
    | SP2 which make the computer having the newer version of the Windows, so I
    | can't re-install it unless I restart my computer and have my disk in there
    | and "boot from the disk", but I don't know how to do that either so if
    anyone
    | can help me that'll be great. Thanks

    Uninstall SP1, do a repair installation of XP, then install SP2 and all
    subsequent updates.

    Stan Nelson
    Dallas, TX

    You could try creating a WinXP + SP2 slipstreamed CD. Check here for
    simple directions
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

    In news:D87551E3-AA08-43E2-B359-28367F50B63F@microsoft.com,
    kirkycake <kirkycake@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > How do I do a clean reinstallatoin of the OS? Meaning
    > completely
    > wipe out the hard drive and then install the OS again. I have
    > Windows XP Professional SP1 disk, but when I put it in it says
    > because my computer has SP2 which make the computer having the
    > newer
    > version of the Windows, so I can't re-install it unless I
    > restart my
    > computer and have my disk in there and "boot from the disk",
    > but I
    > don't know how to do that either so if anyone can help me
    > that'll be
    > great. Thanks

    You boot from the CD by first going into the BIOS setup program
    and changing the boot order so that the CD is first.

    How to get into your BIOS depends, not on Windows, but on what
    motherboard/BIOS you have. As a matter of fact, you have to
    access the BIOS before Windows even starts to boot. One common
    way is to press the Del key when you first power on, but that's
    not necessarily right for your computer. Watch the screen
    carefully when you first boot; there's often a message there
    telling you what to do. If not, check your system documentation
    or check with your vendor.

    Also look here:
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    Or just try the Del key. There's a good chance that's correct for
    you.

    Regarding the problem with installing an SP1 version over an SP2
    version, it's completely irrelevant for a clean installation,
    since doing a clean installation wipes out the existing version.
    Do the clean installation correctly (see below) and you won't be
    told about it.

    Just boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot order if
    necessary to accomplish this) and follow the prompts for a clean
    installation (delete the existing partition by pressing "D" when
    prompted, then create a new one).

    You can find detailed instructions here:

    or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm

    or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

    However why do you want to reformat and reinstall? In my view,
    it's usually a mistake. With a modicum of care, it should never
    be necessary to reinstall Windows (XP or any other version). I've
    run Windows 3.0, 3.1, WFWG 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows
    2000, and Windows XP, each for the period of time before the next
    version came out, and each on two machines here. I never
    reinstalled any of them, and I have never had anything more than
    an occasional minor problem.

    It's my belief that this mistaken notion stems from the technical
    support people at many of the larger OEMs. Their solution to
    almost any problem they don't quickly know the answer to is
    "reformat and reinstall." That's the perfect solution for them.
    It gets you off the phone quickly, it almost always works, and it
    doesn't require them to do any real troubleshooting (a skill that
    most of them obviously don't possess in any great degree).

    But it leaves you with all the work and all the problems. You
    have to restore all your data backups, you have to reinstall all
    your programs, you have to reinstall all the Windows and
    application updates,you have to locate and install all the needed
    drivers for your system, you have to recustomize Windows and all
    your apps to work the way you're comfortable with.

    Besides all those things being time-consuming and troublesome,
    you may have trouble with some of them: can you find all your
    application CDs? Can you find all the needed installation codes?
    Do you have data backups to restore? Do you even remember all the
    customizations and tweaks you may have installed to make
    everything work the way you like?

    Occasionally there are problems that are so difficult to solve
    that Windows should be reinstalled cleanly. But they are few and
    far between; reinstallation should not be a substitute for
    troubleshooting; it should be a last resort, to be done only
    after all other attempts at troubleshooting by a qualified person
    have failed.

    If you have problems, post them here; it's likely that someone
    can help you and a reinstallation won't be required.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    kirkycake wrote:
    > How do I do a clean reinstallatoin of the OS? Meaning completely wipe out
    > the hard drive and then install the OS again. I have a Windows XP
    > Professional SP1 disk, but when I put it in it says because my computer has
    > SP2 which make the computer having the newer version of the Windows, so I
    > can't re-install it unless I restart my computer and have my disk in there
    > and "boot from the disk", but I don't know how to do that either so if anyone
    > can help me that'll be great. Thanks

    After having backed up or otherwise safe-guarded/preserved any
    important data files, simply boot from the WinXP installation CD.
    You'll be offered the opportunity to delete, create, and format
    partitions as part of the installation process. (You may need to
    re-arrange the order of boot devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

    HOW TO Install Windows XP

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm