Sign in with
Your question

Vista 32 to Win 7 64?

Last response: in Windows 7
March 8, 2010 8:53:27 PM

I have bought the WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM UPGRADE (64 bit), and my question to you is.
I got VISTA HOME PREMIUM (32 bit), will I be able to upgrade my VISTA 32 to WIN 7 64?
I'm atm in the situation where I built a whole new PC, and had no OS on my com, before installing WIN 7. Will I be able to get WIN7 installed with my VISTA? I'm asking since it keep saying that my product key is invalid. Is there anyway out of this but sending my WIN 7 back, and getting a ULTIMATE, which I think do not require a previous Windows OS?

Ty

More about : vista win

a c 209 $ Windows 7
March 8, 2010 11:03:28 PM

It should be valid to use the 64-bit upgrade version to install Windows 7 when your previous version is 32-bit. But you have to do a clean install, you can't simply upgrade the old version. That means you'd have to reinstall all your programs once you've finished installing windows.
March 11, 2010 10:54:27 PM

So I will need to format my HDD with my current WIN 7 and install VISTA first and then WIN 7?
BTW how do I format my HDD so I can install Vista? :s
a c 209 $ Windows 7
March 12, 2010 12:16:01 AM

You can install into the existing partition, the old installation folder will be renamed to "Windows_Old" and a new "Windows" folder will be created to hold the new OS. Or you can choose to delete and then recreate the partition during the install, which of course will wipe out everything that was on it.
!