Activation query

June 13, 2005 12:45:04 AM

I was thinking of clean installing my whole entire PC but with the new Block
on Xp with having to buy one each seperately for each PC i was scared after
once wiping and trying to activate again i would have trouble....Will i be
able to clean install and activate again? The thing is before the block came
out i installed The same xp on another computer....Will this interfere.?

More about : activation query

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 2:30:02 AM

What "block"?
Nothing has changed.
The licence you agreed permits installation on only one computer at a
time.There have always been ways of circumventing this, but it goes against
the EULA.

One license, one computer, the way it has always been with all consumer
Microsoft operating systems since at least Windows 95.
Read your specific EULA for details:
Start/Run
Type "winver" ENTER
Click "End-User License Agreement"

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"rohit" <rohit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was thinking of clean installing my whole entire PC but with the new
>Block
> on Xp with having to buy one each seperately for each PC i was scared
> after
> once wiping and trying to activate again i would have trouble....Will i be
> able to clean install and activate again? The thing is before the block
> came
> out i installed The same xp on another computer....Will this interfere.?
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 6:24:03 AM

rohit wrote:
> I was thinking of clean installing my whole entire PC but with the
> new Block on Xp with having to buy one each seperately for each PC i
> was scared after once wiping and trying to activate again i would
> have trouble....Will i be able to clean install and activate again?
> The thing is before the block came out i installed The same xp on
> another computer....Will this interfere.?

What type of WinXP do you have? Retail, OEM that came with a computer
from a major OEM, or a generic OEM copy?

How long ago did you install it on the other machine?

--
Peace!
Kurt

In news:7CF5EAD7-AD97-4750-96DE-66333D805224@microsoft.com,
rohit <rohit@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I was thinking of clean installing my whole entire PC but with
> the
> new Block on Xp

There's nothing new here. This is exactly the same rule that's
been in effect on every version of Windows starting with Windows
3.1. The only thing new with XP is that there's now an
enforcement mechanism.

> with having to buy one each seperately for each PC i
> was scared after once wiping and trying to activate again i
> would
> have trouble....Will i be able to clean install and activate
> again?

Yes. There should be no problem (but see below)

> The thing is before the block came out i installed The same xp
> on
> another computer....Will this interfere.?

What do you mean "before the block came out"? Windows Product
Activation has always been part of Windows XP.

If you installed a single copy of Windows XP on two machines and
got away with it, you were very lucky. If you now try to
reinstall it on either of those machines, you may not be so
lucky.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 11:19:27 PM

rohit wrote:
> I was thinking of clean installing my whole entire PC but with the new Block
> on Xp with having to buy one each seperately for each PC i was scared after
> once wiping and trying to activate again i would have trouble....Will i be
> able to clean install and activate again? The thing is before the block came
> out i installed The same xp on another computer....Will this interfere.?

What do you mean by "... before the block came out?" WinXP licensing
is no different than that of earlier versions.

You'll need to purchase a separate WinXP license for each computer
on which you install it.

Just as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and U.S.
copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if not
technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which it
is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to determine
final applicability in your locale.) The only way in which WinXP
licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows is that
Microsoft has finally added a copy protection and anti-theft mechanism,
Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make more difficult)
multiple installations using a single license.

One can buy additional licenses, assuming one already has a retail
license. Naturally, Microsoft cannot sell additional OEM licenses. Be
aware, however, that you'll probably pay more this way than you would if
you were to buy a second copy of WinXP from a discount retailer;
Microsoft will only offer you a 15% discount off their MSRP.

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Home Edition
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic...

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Professional
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic....

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: