Homeschooling Query #1

Hi. I have four children that are going to be homeschooled next year,
and I have two computers (XP Pro w/SP2 - picked 5(!) up at a local
auction for $50 each) to be used by all six members of the family. I
have set up a small (15GB) NTFS partition on the main computer
('newbox') as C: for the system, and 90GB of the rest of the HD as a
FAT32 'Data' partition D: (I stuck with FAT32 because I also installed
Mandrake 9.2 and was unsure of how it would handle NTFS). The second
computer ('jaysbox') only has a 10GB HD. I may also be picking up two
more computers this summer if things work out.

Rather than have to get a second HD for 'jaysbox' (and any other
computers) and deal with the resulting schooling scheduling hassles, I
want to move my current 'Documents & Settings' folder from /newbox/c &
/jaysbox/c to /newbox/d and change the 'homepath' of /both/ computers to
there. That way, anybody can log into any computer transparently. I
have already mapped /jaysbox/d to /newbox/d.

I have done a /lot/ of googling trying to find a simple answer what
/should be/ a simple question: How do I change 'HOMEDRIVE' (or
whatever) to point to /newbox/d?

I don't want to try fooling around on my own on one of these systems as
they are both 'working' systems used by everybody everyday, and if I
screw one of them up, I'll hear about it for the next month. <SIGH>

Not to sound like some kind of jerk or anything, but I would appreciate
it if you would not offer helpful suggestions unless either you have
done it yourself or can provide a link to complete instructions as to
how to do it. I have posted this request in both ng's and forums and
have received very little concrete aid beyond "You might want to
try.....". I must confess that I am getting /very/ discouraged,
especially since I have been a computer consultant for more than
seventeen years and everyone here (i.e. my wife <G>) seems to feel that
I should be able to figure it out easily. I simply, until now, haven't
been able to /afford/ to upgrade to an NT-based OS, with all the
admin-level options, and I haven't had the time to really figure it all
out. There are /sooooo/ many 'Damn, but that's cool' tools available to
my now that I'm simply overwhelmed. (Thank *GOD* DOS Navigator still
works.<G>) On top of all that, the school that my kids will be going
through wants to know how to do it for other families! <SIGH>

--
Thnik about it!
Deadly_Dad

Cincinnatia@boylao.mo
portrayal@reupholsterc.net
unsubmergible@orange.elytrigerousr.int
ambulate@unspecializingz.com
Gemarist@unabsurdp.bv
2 answers Last reply
More about homeschooling query

    if I have read correctly this may help courtesy of Kelly

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_mydocs.htm
    --
    there are no problems, just challenges

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 05:32:48 GMT, Dead_Dad wrote:

    > Rather than have to get a second HD for 'jaysbox' (and any other
    > computers) and deal with the resulting schooling scheduling hassles, I
    > want to move my current 'Documents & Settings' folder from /newbox/c &
    > /jaysbox/c to /newbox/d and change the 'homepath' of /both/ computers to
    > there. That way, anybody can log into any computer transparently. I
    > have already mapped /jaysbox/d to /newbox/d.

    Here are some articles that should shed some additional light on the issue:

    Cannot move or rename the Documents and Settings folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/236621/

    Differences in the User Profiles in Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269378

    How to Create and Copy Roaming User Profiles in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314478

    HOW TO: Switch Between a Local and Roaming User Profile on a Mobile Windows
    XP-Based Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312138
    --
    Tom Porterfield