Homeschooling Query #2

Hi. (XP Pro w/SP2) I have a son who /persists/ in chatting to his
friends/emailing/playing games/etc. when he is supposed to be doing his
schoolwork on the computer. Is there a way to set up an account to run
only a single program with no options to run anything else? In the good
old days I could just run it as the shell, but I don't know if that
works on a global level or an account level. Any assistance would be
appreciated.

--
Thnik about it!
Deadly_Dad

P.S. Hi Ron! Long time, no see.

decentness@naillikeo.com
comortgagee@quinazolineb.net
paradisial@geotectonic.expandx.de
majoon@irretrievablen.com
Fourierism@parkwarda.edu

"Dead_Dad" <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in message
> Hi. (XP Pro w/SP2) I have a son who /persists/ in chatting to his
> friends/emailing/playing games/etc. when he is supposed to be doing his
> schoolwork on the computer. Is there a way to set up an account to run
> only a single program with no options to run anything else? In the good
> old days I could just run it as the shell, but I don't know if that
> works on a global level or an account level. Any assistance would be
> appreciated.

Something like this can "ration" time on the internet.
http://www.netnanny.com/

Several other similar programs exist.

There is really no way that I know of to do exactly what you want to do, but
this would help a great deal. Make two different accounts, one for school
one for non school and give those accounts different access rights for the
programs you are trying to control. That won't stop the lad from logging on
as the non school user, but it is a beginning.

Ideally, setting up a small domain is the answer. Then, you can give each
account access rights on programs and control logon times, etc with very
little effort. You just restrict the non student account from loggin in
during school hours, and limit the student account to just the school based
programs.

"Dead_Dad" <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in message
> Hi. (XP Pro w/SP2) I have a son who /persists/ in chatting to his
> friends/emailing/playing games/etc. when he is supposed to be doing his
> schoolwork on the computer. Is there a way to set up an account to run
> only a single program with no options to run anything else? In the good
> old days I could just run it as the shell, but I don't know if that works
> on a global level or an account level. Any assistance would be
> appreciated.
>
> --
> Thnik about it!
> Deadly_Dad
>
> P.S. Hi Ron! Long time, no see.
>
> decentness@naillikeo.com
> comortgagee@quinazolineb.net
> paradisial@geotectonic.expandx.de
> majoon@irretrievablen.com
> Fourierism@parkwarda.edu

Probably the easiest way is to remove your belt, fold it in
half, and grasp the two ends in your strongest hand. Then
put the young man across your lap face down and ask him
if he's going to obey you from now on. I think you can
figure out the next step by yourself.

Tom Fahey wrote:
> There is really no way that I know of to do exactly what you want to do, but
> this would help a great deal. Make two different accounts, one for school
> one for non school and give those accounts different access rights for the
> programs you are trying to control. That won't stop the lad from logging on
> as the non school user, but it is a beginning.
>
> Ideally, setting up a small domain is the answer. Then, you can give each
> account access rights on programs and control logon times, etc with very
> little effort. You just restrict the non student account from loggin in
> during school hours, and limit the student account to just the school based
> programs.
>

> "Dead_Dad" <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in message
>
>>Hi. (XP Pro w/SP2) I have a son who /persists/ in chatting to his
>>friends/emailing/playing games/etc. when he is supposed to be doing his
>>schoolwork on the computer. Is there a way to set up an account to run
>>only a single program with no options to run anything else? In the good
>>old days I could just run it as the shell, but I don't know if that works
>>on a global level or an account level. Any assistance would be
>>appreciated.

Would you happen to have a link to a FAQ or How-To?

--
Thnik about it!
Deadly_Dad

detritus@summerings.solodizen.mil
Algomian@enterozoic.kallilitea.ma
nonderivable@overstrike.patinei.com
unbatterable@Stercoranist.toeliken.gov
tarwood@ignoblenessv.com

CWatters wrote:
> "Dead_Dad" <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in message
>
>>Hi. (XP Pro w/SP2) I have a son who /persists/ in chatting to his
>>friends/emailing/playing games/etc. when he is supposed to be doing his
>>schoolwork on the computer. Is there a way to set up an account to run
>>only a single program with no options to run anything else? In the good
>>old days I could just run it as the shell, but I don't know if that
>>works on a global level or an account level. Any assistance would be
>>appreciated.
>

> Something like this can "ration" time on the internet.
> http://www.netnanny.com/
>
> Several other similar programs exist.

The problem is not his being 'on the net', but doing other things when
he /should/ be doing schoolwork. I want to remove even the /possibility/.

--
Thnik about it!
Deadly_Dad

Serranus@jackassificationj.com
unwhining@allotriophagiaj.com
Candiot@universanimousf.edu
latericumbent@concile.platiniridiumz.mil
urinal@clithridiatec.mil

[Sounds like homeschooling's gonna be a lotta fun, DD.]

Dead_Dad wrote:
> Hi. (XP Pro w/SP2) I have a son who /persists/ in chatting to his
> friends/emailing/playing games/etc. when he is supposed to be doing his
> schoolwork on the computer. Is there a way to set up an account to run
> only a single program with no options to run anything else? In the good
> old days I could just run it as the shell, but I don't know if that
> works on a global level or an account level. Any assistance would be
> appreciated.

This always worked for me - I took my son/daughter by the hand, looked them
straight in the eye and told them what they were to do or else, the else of
course would be some type of punishment, one especially hand picked for said
son/daughter, what they hated most. That could be from missing their
favorite TV show, no phone time, sitting in the corner, no playtime with
Jane/Joe next door, etc - but I guess you could say the bottom line was - a
parent disciplining the child - showing who's boss. The things you took
responsibility for when you decided to have children. No one said it would
be easy, and no one is going to have the perfect answers, and one definitely
should not be depending on software to do what a parent should be doing!!!

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

Dead_Dad wrote:

> The problem is not his being 'on the net', but doing other things when
> he /should/ be doing schoolwork. I want to remove even the /possibility/.

Put a stool in the corner of the room. When he does what's hes' not
suppossed to do have him take a timeout for 2 hours on the stool.

If that doesnt work then no pc for a week.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Plato wrote:
> Dead_Dad wrote:
>
>>The problem is not his being 'on the net', but doing other things when
>>he /should/ be doing schoolwork. I want to remove even the /possibility/.
>

> Put a stool in the corner of the room. When he does what's hes' not
> suppossed to do have him take a timeout for 2 hours on the stool.
>
> If that doesnt work then no pc for a week.

The problem with that is my wife simply doesn't have /time/ to keep
looking over his shoulder.

--
Thnik about it!
Deadly_Dad

detract@redeemc.cz
polypragmist@rueno.gov
moleheap@mouillet.net
betorcinol@defluxionp.org
honeymoony@isopurpurin.Swedenborgismj.org

Jonathan L S wrote:
> "Dead_Dad" <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in message
> | Hi. (XP Pro w/SP2) I have a son who /persists/ in chatting to his
> | friends/emailing/playing games/etc. when he is supposed to be doing his
> | schoolwork on the computer. Is there a way to set up an account to run
> | only a single program with no options to run anything else? In the good
> | old days I could just run it as the shell, but I don't know if that
> | works on a global level or an account level. Any assistance would be
> | appreciated.
> |
> Probably the easiest way is to remove your belt, fold it in
> half, and grasp the two ends in your strongest hand. Then
> put the young man across your lap face down and ask him
> if he's going to obey you from now on. I think you can
> figure out the next step by yourself.

......disconnect the phone so he can't call Child Services, right? <G>

--
Thnik about it!
Deadly_Dad

Scheuchzeria@Strobilophyta.atemporalj.net
recollectively@stratiforms.mc
extinctive@fascinatinglyn.pf
slaveringly@ageusicd.yu
villeinhold@diplostichouss.com

Star Fleet Admiral Q wrote:
> This always worked for me - I took my son/daughter by the hand, looked them
-----8<-----

Please. I am /only/ looking for an answer for a /specific/ question,
not /general/ parenting advice.

<rant>You /don't/ know anything about my situation, and I /don't/
appreciate you sticking your nose in my /personal/ business. I can see
now that I made a /serious/ mistake in simply saying "Any assistance
would be appreciated." I only wanted /technical/ help to set up
accounts that will only run a single program, /not/ a lecture on what
kind of parent /you/ think I should be. Busybodies like yourself are
neither needed nor wanted.</rant>

--
Thnik about it!
Deadly_Dad

Leptotrichia@brimlessl.com
defluxion@claggyv.mh
overdecoration@antiwart.com
Donet@prosodion.woofyx.org
psychodynamic@swampere.net

Dead_Dad wrote:

> The problem with that is my wife simply doesn't have /time/ to keep
> looking over his shoulder.

Then she clearly doesn't have the time to be home-schooling him, either.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Dead_Dad wrote:

> Please. I am /only/ looking for an answer for a /specific/ question,
> not /general/ parenting advice.
>
> <rant>You /don't/ know anything about my situation, and I /don't/
> appreciate you sticking your nose in my /personal/ business. I can see
> now that I made a /serious/ mistake in simply saying "Any assistance
> would be appreciated." I only wanted /technical/ help to set up
> accounts that will only run a single program, /not/ a lecture on what
> kind of parent /you/ think I should be. Busybodies like yourself are
> neither needed nor wanted.</rant>

And you're being completely unrealistic. You need to be aware that
*NO* technical or software solution is fool-proof, and _none_ can ever
adequately take the place of live adult supervision. If you cannot
trust your children to safely/properly use the computer without
supervision, you may have to consider limiting their access to it.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> Dead_Dad wrote:
>> Please. I am /only/ looking for an answer for a /specific/ question,
>> not /general/ parenting advice.
>>
>> <rant>You /don't/ know anything about my situation, and I /don't/
>> appreciate you sticking your nose in my /personal/ business. I can see
>> now that I made a /serious/ mistake in simply saying "Any assistance
>> would be appreciated." I only wanted /technical/ help to set up
>> accounts that will only run a single program, /not/ a lecture on what
>> kind of parent /you/ think I should be. Busybodies like yourself are
>> neither needed nor wanted.</rant>
>
> And you're being completely unrealistic. You need to be aware that
> *NO* technical or software solution is fool-proof, and _none_ can ever
> adequately take the place of live adult supervision. If you cannot
> trust your children to safely/properly use the computer without
> supervision, you may have to consider limiting their access to it.

<applause>

Dead_Dad wrote:

> /Exactly/. Even in the current system, you are taught all you need to
> know to get by in real life by /age/ 12. After all, when was the last
> time /you/ needed to solve a quadratic equation. <G>

Just last week, actually. But I've been waiting close to 40 years now
to have to diagram a sentence.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

> Hi. (XP Pro w/SP2) I have a son who /persists/ in chatting to his
> friends/emailing/playing games/etc. when he is supposed to be doing his
> schoolwork on the computer. Is there a way to set up an account to run
> only a single program with no options to run anything else? In the good
> old days I could just run it as the shell, but I don't know if that works
> on a global level or an account level. Any assistance would be
> appreciated.

Hi,

Have a look at, http://www.myoddweb.com/myodd_main.php, (freeware).
It allows you, (amongst other things), to allow certain applications to only
run at certain times.
Password protect other applications.

Also it takes snap shots of your desktop, (just in case you really doubt
what your kid is doing).

It takes a bit of time to get used to it, but it should do the trick.

Knowing that your kid is under the spotlight will surely stop him from even
trying.

Simon

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> Dead_Dad wrote:
>

>> /Exactly/. Even in the current system, you are taught all you need to
>> know to get by in real life by /age/ 12. After all, when was the last
>> time /you/ needed to solve a quadratic equation. <G>
>>

> Just last week, actually. But I've been waiting close to 40 years
> now to have to diagram a sentence.

That's hilarious! I was just trying to figure that one out myself last
week. I think that the textbook publishers keep inventing this 'stuff'
(to use the polite term) just to stay rich.

--
Thnik about it!
Deadly_Dad

back@kneadinge.gov
irreligionist@unillusioned.carka.et
evincible@specificatively.hypergeneticm.fm
neuroticism@teahousez.edu
nodated@bagged.antienergisticg.mil

PA Bear wrote:
> <plonk>

<irony>Thank you.</irony>

--
Thnik about it!
Deadly_Dad

cooba@pilulah.mil
limitable@praeludiuml.com
contravene@Norbertinev.et
sympathicoblast@vacouao.pw
overcompliant@unyoungm.lv

Simon wrote:
>>Hi. (XP Pro w/SP2) I have a son who /persists/ in chatting to his
>>friends/emailing/playing games/etc. when he is supposed to be doing his
>>schoolwork on the computer. Is there a way to set up an account to run
>>only a single program with no options to run anything else? In the good
>>old days I could just run it as the shell, but I don't know if that works
>>on a global level or an account level. Any assistance would be
>>appreciated.
>>

> Hi,
>
> Have a look at, http://www.myoddweb.com/myodd_main.php, (freeware).
> It allows you, (amongst other things), to allow certain applications to only
> run at certain times.
> Password protect other applications.
>
> Also it takes snap shots of your desktop, (just in case you really doubt
> what your kid is doing).
>
> It takes a bit of time to get used to it, but it should do the trick.
>
> Knowing that your kid is under the spotlight will surely stop him from even
> trying.
>
> Simon

Thank you! That looks /exactly/ like what I need!

--
Thnik about it!
Deadly_Dad

besoot@papilliforme.edu