Homeschooling Query #2

Hi. (XP Pro w/SP2) I have a son who /persists/ in chatting to his
friends/emailing/playing games/etc. when he is supposed to be doing his
schoolwork on the computer. Is there a way to set up an account to run
only a single program with no options to run anything else? In the good
old days I could just run it as the shell, but I don't know if that
works on a global level or an account level. Any assistance would be
appreciated.

--
Thnik about it!
Deadly_Dad

P.S. Hi Ron! Long time, no see.

decentness@naillikeo.com
comortgagee@quinazolineb.net
paradisial@geotectonic.expandx.de
majoon@irretrievablen.com
Fourierism@parkwarda.edu
20 answers Last reply
More about homeschooling query

    "Dead_Dad" <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in message
    > Hi. (XP Pro w/SP2) I have a son who /persists/ in chatting to his
    > friends/emailing/playing games/etc. when he is supposed to be doing his
    > schoolwork on the computer. Is there a way to set up an account to run
    > only a single program with no options to run anything else? In the good
    > old days I could just run it as the shell, but I don't know if that
    > works on a global level or an account level. Any assistance would be
    > appreciated.

    Something like this can "ration" time on the internet.
    http://www.netnanny.com/

    Several other similar programs exist.

    There is really no way that I know of to do exactly what you want to do, but
    this would help a great deal. Make two different accounts, one for school
    one for non school and give those accounts different access rights for the
    programs you are trying to control. That won't stop the lad from logging on
    as the non school user, but it is a beginning.

    Ideally, setting up a small domain is the answer. Then, you can give each
    account access rights on programs and control logon times, etc with very
    little effort. You just restrict the non student account from loggin in
    during school hours, and limit the student account to just the school based
    programs.

    "Dead_Dad" <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in message
    > Hi. (XP Pro w/SP2) I have a son who /persists/ in chatting to his
    > friends/emailing/playing games/etc. when he is supposed to be doing his
    > schoolwork on the computer. Is there a way to set up an account to run
    > only a single program with no options to run anything else? In the good
    > old days I could just run it as the shell, but I don't know if that works
    > on a global level or an account level. Any assistance would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > --
    > Thnik about it!
    > Deadly_Dad
    >
    > P.S. Hi Ron! Long time, no see.
    >
    > decentness@naillikeo.com
    > comortgagee@quinazolineb.net
    > paradisial@geotectonic.expandx.de
    > majoon@irretrievablen.com
    > Fourierism@parkwarda.edu

    Probably the easiest way is to remove your belt, fold it in
    half, and grasp the two ends in your strongest hand. Then
    put the young man across your lap face down and ask him
    if he's going to obey you from now on. I think you can
    figure out the next step by yourself.

    Tom Fahey wrote:
    > There is really no way that I know of to do exactly what you want to do, but
    > this would help a great deal. Make two different accounts, one for school
    > one for non school and give those accounts different access rights for the
    > programs you are trying to control. That won't stop the lad from logging on
    > as the non school user, but it is a beginning.
    >
    > Ideally, setting up a small domain is the answer. Then, you can give each
    > account access rights on programs and control logon times, etc with very
    > little effort. You just restrict the non student account from loggin in
    > during school hours, and limit the student account to just the school based
    > programs.
    >

    > "Dead_Dad" <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi. (XP Pro w/SP2) I have a son who /persists/ in chatting to his
    >>friends/emailing/playing games/etc. when he is supposed to be doing his
    >>schoolwork on the computer. Is there a way to set up an account to run
    >>only a single program with no options to run anything else? In the good
    >>old days I could just run it as the shell, but I don't know if that works
    >>on a global level or an account level. Any assistance would be
    >>appreciated.

    Would you happen to have a link to a FAQ or How-To?

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Deadly_Dad

    detritus@summerings.solodizen.mil
    Algomian@enterozoic.kallilitea.ma
    nonderivable@overstrike.patinei.com
    unbatterable@Stercoranist.toeliken.gov
    tarwood@ignoblenessv.com

    CWatters wrote:
    > "Dead_Dad" <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi. (XP Pro w/SP2) I have a son who /persists/ in chatting to his
    >>friends/emailing/playing games/etc. when he is supposed to be doing his
    >>schoolwork on the computer. Is there a way to set up an account to run
    >>only a single program with no options to run anything else? In the good
    >>old days I could just run it as the shell, but I don't know if that
    >>works on a global level or an account level. Any assistance would be
    >>appreciated.
    >

    > Something like this can "ration" time on the internet.
    > http://www.netnanny.com/
    >
    > Several other similar programs exist.

    The problem is not his being 'on the net', but doing other things when
    he /should/ be doing schoolwork. I want to remove even the /possibility/.

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Deadly_Dad

    Serranus@jackassificationj.com
    unwhining@allotriophagiaj.com
    Candiot@universanimousf.edu
    latericumbent@concile.platiniridiumz.mil
    urinal@clithridiatec.mil

    [Sounds like homeschooling's gonna be a lotta fun, DD.]

    Dead_Dad wrote:
    > Hi. (XP Pro w/SP2) I have a son who /persists/ in chatting to his
    > friends/emailing/playing games/etc. when he is supposed to be doing his
    > schoolwork on the computer. Is there a way to set up an account to run
    > only a single program with no options to run anything else? In the good
    > old days I could just run it as the shell, but I don't know if that
    > works on a global level or an account level. Any assistance would be
    > appreciated.

    This always worked for me - I took my son/daughter by the hand, looked them
    straight in the eye and told them what they were to do or else, the else of
    course would be some type of punishment, one especially hand picked for said
    son/daughter, what they hated most. That could be from missing their
    favorite TV show, no phone time, sitting in the corner, no playtime with
    Jane/Joe next door, etc - but I guess you could say the bottom line was - a
    parent disciplining the child - showing who's boss. The things you took
    responsibility for when you decided to have children. No one said it would
    be easy, and no one is going to have the perfect answers, and one definitely
    should not be depending on software to do what a parent should be doing!!!

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

    http://www.google.com
    Google is your "Friend"

    Dead_Dad wrote:

    > The problem is not his being 'on the net', but doing other things when
    > he /should/ be doing schoolwork. I want to remove even the /possibility/.

    Put a stool in the corner of the room. When he does what's hes' not
    suppossed to do have him take a timeout for 2 hours on the stool.

    If that doesnt work then no pc for a week.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato wrote:
    > Dead_Dad wrote:
    >
    >>The problem is not his being 'on the net', but doing other things when
    >>he /should/ be doing schoolwork. I want to remove even the /possibility/.
    >

    > Put a stool in the corner of the room. When he does what's hes' not
    > suppossed to do have him take a timeout for 2 hours on the stool.
    >
    > If that doesnt work then no pc for a week.

    The problem with that is my wife simply doesn't have /time/ to keep
    looking over his shoulder.

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Deadly_Dad

    detract@redeemc.cz
    polypragmist@rueno.gov
    moleheap@mouillet.net
    betorcinol@defluxionp.org
    honeymoony@isopurpurin.Swedenborgismj.org

    Jonathan L S wrote:
    > "Dead_Dad" <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in message
    > | Hi. (XP Pro w/SP2) I have a son who /persists/ in chatting to his
    > | friends/emailing/playing games/etc. when he is supposed to be doing his
    > | schoolwork on the computer. Is there a way to set up an account to run
    > | only a single program with no options to run anything else? In the good
    > | old days I could just run it as the shell, but I don't know if that
    > | works on a global level or an account level. Any assistance would be
    > | appreciated.
    > |
    > Probably the easiest way is to remove your belt, fold it in
    > half, and grasp the two ends in your strongest hand. Then
    > put the young man across your lap face down and ask him
    > if he's going to obey you from now on. I think you can
    > figure out the next step by yourself.

    ......disconnect the phone so he can't call Child Services, right? <G>

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Deadly_Dad

    Scheuchzeria@Strobilophyta.atemporalj.net
    recollectively@stratiforms.mc
    extinctive@fascinatinglyn.pf
    slaveringly@ageusicd.yu
    villeinhold@diplostichouss.com

    Star Fleet Admiral Q wrote:
    > This always worked for me - I took my son/daughter by the hand, looked them
    -----8<-----

    Please. I am /only/ looking for an answer for a /specific/ question,
    not /general/ parenting advice.

    <rant>You /don't/ know anything about my situation, and I /don't/
    appreciate you sticking your nose in my /personal/ business. I can see
    now that I made a /serious/ mistake in simply saying "Any assistance
    would be appreciated." I only wanted /technical/ help to set up
    accounts that will only run a single program, /not/ a lecture on what
    kind of parent /you/ think I should be. Busybodies like yourself are
    neither needed nor wanted.</rant>

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Deadly_Dad

    Leptotrichia@brimlessl.com
    defluxion@claggyv.mh
    overdecoration@antiwart.com
    Donet@prosodion.woofyx.org
    psychodynamic@swampere.net

    Dead_Dad wrote:

    > The problem with that is my wife simply doesn't have /time/ to keep
    > looking over his shoulder.

    Then she clearly doesn't have the time to be home-schooling him, either.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Dead_Dad wrote:

    > Please. I am /only/ looking for an answer for a /specific/ question,
    > not /general/ parenting advice.
    >
    > <rant>You /don't/ know anything about my situation, and I /don't/
    > appreciate you sticking your nose in my /personal/ business. I can see
    > now that I made a /serious/ mistake in simply saying "Any assistance
    > would be appreciated." I only wanted /technical/ help to set up
    > accounts that will only run a single program, /not/ a lecture on what
    > kind of parent /you/ think I should be. Busybodies like yourself are
    > neither needed nor wanted.</rant>

    And you're being completely unrealistic. You need to be aware that
    *NO* technical or software solution is fool-proof, and _none_ can ever
    adequately take the place of live adult supervision. If you cannot
    trust your children to safely/properly use the computer without
    supervision, you may have to consider limiting their access to it.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > Dead_Dad wrote:
    >> Please. I am /only/ looking for an answer for a /specific/ question,
    >> not /general/ parenting advice.
    >>
    >> <rant>You /don't/ know anything about my situation, and I /don't/
    >> appreciate you sticking your nose in my /personal/ business. I can see
    >> now that I made a /serious/ mistake in simply saying "Any assistance
    >> would be appreciated." I only wanted /technical/ help to set up
    >> accounts that will only run a single program, /not/ a lecture on what
    >> kind of parent /you/ think I should be. Busybodies like yourself are
    >> neither needed nor wanted.</rant>
    >
    > And you're being completely unrealistic. You need to be aware that
    > *NO* technical or software solution is fool-proof, and _none_ can ever
    > adequately take the place of live adult supervision. If you cannot
    > trust your children to safely/properly use the computer without
    > supervision, you may have to consider limiting their access to it.

    <applause>

    Dead_Dad wrote:

    > /Exactly/. Even in the current system, you are taught all you need to
    > know to get by in real life by /age/ 12. After all, when was the last
    > time /you/ needed to solve a quadratic equation. <G>

    Just last week, actually. But I've been waiting close to 40 years now
    to have to diagram a sentence.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    <plonk>

    > Hi. (XP Pro w/SP2) I have a son who /persists/ in chatting to his
    > friends/emailing/playing games/etc. when he is supposed to be doing his
    > schoolwork on the computer. Is there a way to set up an account to run
    > only a single program with no options to run anything else? In the good
    > old days I could just run it as the shell, but I don't know if that works
    > on a global level or an account level. Any assistance would be
    > appreciated.

    Hi,

    Have a look at, http://www.myoddweb.com/myodd_main.php, (freeware).
    It allows you, (amongst other things), to allow certain applications to only
    run at certain times.
    Password protect other applications.

    Also it takes snap shots of your desktop, (just in case you really doubt
    what your kid is doing).

    It takes a bit of time to get used to it, but it should do the trick.

    Knowing that your kid is under the spotlight will surely stop him from even
    trying.

    Simon

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > Dead_Dad wrote:
    >

    >> /Exactly/. Even in the current system, you are taught all you need to
    >> know to get by in real life by /age/ 12. After all, when was the last
    >> time /you/ needed to solve a quadratic equation. <G>
    >>

    > Just last week, actually. But I've been waiting close to 40 years
    > now to have to diagram a sentence.

    That's hilarious! I was just trying to figure that one out myself last
    week. I think that the textbook publishers keep inventing this 'stuff'
    (to use the polite term) just to stay rich.

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Deadly_Dad

    back@kneadinge.gov
    irreligionist@unillusioned.carka.et
    evincible@specificatively.hypergeneticm.fm
    neuroticism@teahousez.edu
    nodated@bagged.antienergisticg.mil

    PA Bear wrote:
    > <plonk>

    <irony>Thank you.</irony>

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Deadly_Dad

    cooba@pilulah.mil
    limitable@praeludiuml.com
    contravene@Norbertinev.et
    sympathicoblast@vacouao.pw
    overcompliant@unyoungm.lv

    Simon wrote:
    >>Hi. (XP Pro w/SP2) I have a son who /persists/ in chatting to his
    >>friends/emailing/playing games/etc. when he is supposed to be doing his
    >>schoolwork on the computer. Is there a way to set up an account to run
    >>only a single program with no options to run anything else? In the good
    >>old days I could just run it as the shell, but I don't know if that works
    >>on a global level or an account level. Any assistance would be
    >>appreciated.
    >>

    > Hi,
    >
    > Have a look at, http://www.myoddweb.com/myodd_main.php, (freeware).
    > It allows you, (amongst other things), to allow certain applications to only
    > run at certain times.
    > Password protect other applications.
    >
    > Also it takes snap shots of your desktop, (just in case you really doubt
    > what your kid is doing).
    >
    > It takes a bit of time to get used to it, but it should do the trick.
    >
    > Knowing that your kid is under the spotlight will surely stop him from even
    > trying.
    >
    > Simon

    Thank you! That looks /exactly/ like what I need!

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Deadly_Dad

    besoot@papilliforme.edu