Sennheiser Noise-Canceling Headphones

Last response: in Home Audio
May 12, 2005 10:22:08 PM

Hi all,

I'm thinking about a pair of noise-canceling headphones for traveling
(primarily long-distance train, but I'm also flying quite a lot).

The Bose QuiteComfort are outside my price range, but the Sennheiser
PXC 250 and PXC 300 are both well within. The older PXC 250 employ
"NoiseGuard", the newer and more expensive PXC 300 "NoiseGuard
Advanced".

Does anybody have experience with either or both? In particular, is
the "Advanced" really an advance and if yes, is it worth the EUR 50-70
in price difference (best price I could find online is EUR 98 vs. EUR
168)?

Thanks,

Stephan

--
-------------------------- It can be done! ---------------------------------
Please email me as schulz@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Stephan Schulz)

Stephan,
I travel every week and had purchased a Senn (I forget the model - it
was about 150 USD). It was pretty effective (as much as the Bose)
although it does not cover your ears. Both are inferior to the foam ear
plugs that I purchase 2 dozen pairs for 2.50 at the drug store. If you
do not need music, save your money and buy foam ear plugs. They have 32
db or attenuation (as compared with 16 on both the Sennheiser and the
Bose).

If you need to listen to music, use ear plugs and use regular
headphones on top. The noise cancellation phones and the foam ear plugs
only work upto 350 Hz or so. But that is a tougher call.

Hope this helps,

---------------------------------
> Please email me as schulz@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Stephan
Schulz)

May 13, 2005 7:23:22 PM

Hi Stephan,

I've not used the Sennheisers, but you should check out this link:

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roadwarriorcontent/sol...

The Plane Quiet's are quite good, and I've been using the Mark V's for a
couple of years now. Good sound, and good noise reduction (for airplane
noise, not sure about train noise, as the spectral content may be much
different). The new Plane Quiet Solitude is supposed to be much better
than my Mark V's. These list for $200USD, but there's a link on the
website to an online store that has a 30% discount until May 22.

Good luck,

Keith Hughes

Stephan Schulz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm thinking about a pair of noise-canceling headphones for traveling
> (primarily long-distance train, but I'm also flying quite a lot).
>
> The Bose QuiteComfort are outside my price range, but the Sennheiser
> PXC 250 and PXC 300 are both well within. The older PXC 250 employ
> "NoiseGuard", the newer and more expensive PXC 300 "NoiseGuard
> Advanced".
>
> Does anybody have experience with either or both? In particular, is
> the "Advanced" really an advance and if yes, is it worth the EUR 50-70
> in price difference (best price I could find online is EUR 98 vs. EUR
> 168)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephan

May 13, 2005 7:48:32 PM

Stephan Schulz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm thinking about a pair of noise-canceling headphones for traveling
> (primarily long-distance train, but I'm also flying quite a lot).
>
> The Bose QuiteComfort are outside my price range, but the Sennheiser
> PXC 250 and PXC 300 are both well within. The older PXC 250 employ
> "NoiseGuard", the newer and more expensive PXC 300 "NoiseGuard
> Advanced".
>
> Does anybody have experience with either or both? In particular, is
> the "Advanced" really an advance and if yes, is it worth the EUR 50-70
> in price difference (best price I could find online is EUR 98 vs. EUR
> 168)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephan

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3000_7-1017728-1.html

wvk
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 9:01:53 PM

Hi!

Thanks all for your replies.

In article <d62g0n0beg@news1.newsguy.com>, joesmith25@hotmail.com wrote:
>Stephan,
>I travel every week and had purchased a Senn (I forget the model - it
>was about 150 USD). It was pretty effective (as much as the Bose)
>although it does not cover your ears. Both are inferior to the foam ear
>plugs that I purchase 2 dozen pairs for 2.50 at the drug store. If you
>do not need music, save your money and buy foam ear plugs. They have 32
>db or attenuation (as compared with 16 on both the Sennheiser and the
>Bose).

Thanks, but I hate having things in my ears. I cannot even wear the
in-ear phones. Yes, I want to have music, and not just quiteness.

>If you need to listen to music, use ear plugs and use regular
>headphones on top. The noise cancellation phones and the foam ear plugs
>only work upto 350 Hz or so. But that is a tougher call.

That also is an appallingly inelegant solution...and it might also
lead to trouble with other people...

The Plane Quite headphones mentioned sidethread sound very good (well,
the description does), but I cannot find a source for them in Germany.

All online reviews of the Sennheiser PXC 250/300 look good, but none
discuss the difference between them.

Bye,

Stephan