Two System Restore questions

June 13, 2005 3:13:01 AM

1. I have been under the impression that XP takes a "snap shot" of the system
each day and then creates a restore point each day, but...it only seems to do
that when I create a restore point or when I download something new from the
net for example. Why is this the case? I only a few days in bold type
indicating a restore point, and all the others a light shade that are not
accessable!
2. Also, why can I not restore to any one of the few "bold type" system
restore days? On completion of an attempted restore, the message simply says
that it could not restore. I understand that it all should be automatic!
I follow the simple prompts,so...What am I missing here?

I would appreciate any leads. Thanks.
Des
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 10:56:38 AM

Hi,

From MVP Bert Kinney on System Restore:
http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/description.ht...

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Des" <ontherock@discussions.com> wrote in message
> 1. I have been under the impression that XP takes a "snap shot" of the
> system
> each day and then creates a restore point each day, but...it only seems to
> do
> that when I create a restore point or when I download something new from
> the
> net for example. Why is this the case? I only a few days in bold type
> indicating a restore point, and all the others a light shade that are not
> accessable!
> 2. Also, why can I not restore to any one of the few "bold type" system
> restore days? On completion of an attempted restore, the message simply
> says
> that it could not restore. I understand that it all should be automatic!
> I follow the simple prompts,so...What am I missing here?
>
> I would appreciate any leads. Thanks.
> Des
June 13, 2005 11:03:03 AM

Thank you! Great site. I have a lot to research, and learn!!!.
Thanks again.
--
Des

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> From MVP Bert Kinney on System Restore:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/description.ht...
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Des" <ontherock@discussions.com> wrote in message
> > 1. I have been under the impression that XP takes a "snap shot" of the
> > system
> > each day and then creates a restore point each day, but...it only seems to
> > do
> > that when I create a restore point or when I download something new from
> > the
> > net for example. Why is this the case? I only a few days in bold type
> > indicating a restore point, and all the others a light shade that are not
> > accessable!
> > 2. Also, why can I not restore to any one of the few "bold type" system
> > restore days? On completion of an attempted restore, the message simply
> > says
> > that it could not restore. I understand that it all should be automatic!
> > I follow the simple prompts,so...What am I missing here?
> >
> > I would appreciate any leads. Thanks.
> > Des

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 6:52:00 PM

Hi Des,

If you have any question, just post them here.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

!