Two System Restore questions

1. I have been under the impression that XP takes a "snap shot" of the system
each day and then creates a restore point each day, but...it only seems to do
that when I create a restore point or when I download something new from the
net for example. Why is this the case? I only a few days in bold type
indicating a restore point, and all the others a light shade that are not
accessable!
2. Also, why can I not restore to any one of the few "bold type" system
restore days? On completion of an attempted restore, the message simply says
that it could not restore. I understand that it all should be automatic!
I follow the simple prompts,so...What am I missing here?

I would appreciate any leads. Thanks.
Des
3 answers Last reply
More about system restore questions

    Hi,

    From MVP Bert Kinney on System Restore:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/description.html

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Des" <ontherock@discussions.com> wrote in message
    > 1. I have been under the impression that XP takes a "snap shot" of the
    > system
    > each day and then creates a restore point each day, but...it only seems to
    > do
    > that when I create a restore point or when I download something new from
    > the
    > net for example. Why is this the case? I only a few days in bold type
    > indicating a restore point, and all the others a light shade that are not
    > accessable!
    > 2. Also, why can I not restore to any one of the few "bold type" system
    > restore days? On completion of an attempted restore, the message simply
    > says
    > that it could not restore. I understand that it all should be automatic!
    > I follow the simple prompts,so...What am I missing here?
    >
    > I would appreciate any leads. Thanks.
    > Des

    Thank you! Great site. I have a lot to research, and learn!!!.
    Thanks again.
    --
    Des

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > From MVP Bert Kinney on System Restore:
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/description.html
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Des" <ontherock@discussions.com> wrote in message
    > > 1. I have been under the impression that XP takes a "snap shot" of the
    > > system
    > > each day and then creates a restore point each day, but...it only seems to
    > > do
    > > that when I create a restore point or when I download something new from
    > > the
    > > net for example. Why is this the case? I only a few days in bold type
    > > indicating a restore point, and all the others a light shade that are not
    > > accessable!
    > > 2. Also, why can I not restore to any one of the few "bold type" system
    > > restore days? On completion of an attempted restore, the message simply
    > > says
    > > that it could not restore. I understand that it all should be automatic!
    > > I follow the simple prompts,so...What am I missing here?
    > >
    > > I would appreciate any leads. Thanks.
    > > Des

    Hi Des,

    If you have any question, just post them here.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    Des wrote:
    > Thank you! Great site. I have a lot to research, and
    > learn!!!. Thanks again.
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> From MVP Bert Kinney on System Restore:
    >> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/description.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Des" <ontherock@discussions.com> wrote in message
    >>> 1. I have been under the impression that XP takes a
    >>> "snap shot" of the system
    >>> each day and then creates a restore point each day,
    >>> but...it only seems to do
    >>> that when I create a restore point or when I download
    >>> something new from the
    >>> net for example. Why is this the case? I only a few
    >>> days in bold type indicating a restore point, and all
    >>> the others a light shade that are not accessable!
    >>> 2. Also, why can I not restore to any one of the few
    >>> "bold type" system restore days? On completion of an
    >>> attempted restore, the message simply says
    >>> that it could not restore. I understand that it all
    >>> should be automatic! I follow the simple
    >>> prompts,so...What am I missing here?
    >>>
    >>> I would appreciate any leads. Thanks.
    >>> Des

System Restore Windows XP