Problem with programs after reinstall Windows XP

June 13, 2005 4:06:02 AM

I just reinstalled Windows XP, however all my programs are still in there,
but I don't know how to open it. Like they are hidden under the folder
"program files" but none of them is in the start menu, so does that mean
everytime I want to open a program I have to go to that folder and open it?
The other problem I have is with Microsoft Office, I went to program
files-microsoft office-and the winword, but after I opened word, it says the
program is not installed for the user or whatever and I have to go to set up
and install the program, which doens't make sense so please give me any
advise that you can, thanks.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 6:08:08 AM

kirkycake wrote:
> I just reinstalled Windows XP, however all my programs are still in
> there, but I don't know how to open it. Like they are hidden under
> the folder "program files" but none of them is in the start menu, so
> does that mean everytime I want to open a program I have to go to
> that folder and open it? The other problem I have is with Microsoft
> Office, I went to program files-microsoft office-and the winword, but
> after I opened word, it says the program is not installed for the
> user or whatever and I have to go to set up and install the program,
> which doens't make sense so please give me any advise that you can,
> thanks.

What type of install did you do? Repair installation or parallel?
Does not sound like a repair installation.

Reinstall your applications.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

I am not sure, I chose "new installation" when I put the disk in, and when
it went to ms-dos mode or whatever I installed the software into the same
patritioned I think and during the process it said deleting old windows or
somethign like that.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> kirkycake wrote:
> > I just reinstalled Windows XP, however all my programs are still in
> > there, but I don't know how to open it. Like they are hidden under
> > the folder "program files" but none of them is in the start menu, so
> > does that mean everytime I want to open a program I have to go to
> > that folder and open it? The other problem I have is with Microsoft
> > Office, I went to program files-microsoft office-and the winword, but
> > after I opened word, it says the program is not installed for the
> > user or whatever and I have to go to set up and install the program,
> > which doens't make sense so please give me any advise that you can,
> > thanks.
>
> What type of install did you do? Repair installation or parallel?
> Does not sound like a repair installation.
>
> Reinstall your applications.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

June 13, 2005 5:02:32 PM

kirkycake wrote:
> I am not sure, I chose "new installation" when I put the disk in,
> and when it went to ms-dos mode or whatever I installed the software
> into the same patritioned I think and during the process it said
> deleting old windows or somethign like that.

You confirmed what i thought - you installed XP over itself - getting rid of
registry entries and the likes needed to properly run most installed
applications.

You will have to reinstall your applications.

In the future.. If you perform a repair install, your installation media
(CD)
needs to really be the same service pack level as your currently installed
system. You will likely need to create a new CD from the old one with SP2
slipstreamed/integrated into it. Something like "AutoStreamer" would assist
you in making this new CD from the old one.

Create a SP2 Slipstreamed Windows XP CD with Autostreamer
http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html

Perform a Repair installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

--