Problem with programs after reinstall Windows XP

I just reinstalled Windows XP, however all my programs are still in there,
but I don't know how to open it. Like they are hidden under the folder
"program files" but none of them is in the start menu, so does that mean
everytime I want to open a program I have to go to that folder and open it?
The other problem I have is with Microsoft Office, I went to program
files-microsoft office-and the winword, but after I opened word, it says the
program is not installed for the user or whatever and I have to go to set up
and install the program, which doens't make sense so please give me any
advise that you can, thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about problem programs reinstall windows

    kirkycake wrote:
    > I just reinstalled Windows XP, however all my programs are still in
    > there, but I don't know how to open it. Like they are hidden under
    > the folder "program files" but none of them is in the start menu, so
    > does that mean everytime I want to open a program I have to go to
    > that folder and open it? The other problem I have is with Microsoft
    > Office, I went to program files-microsoft office-and the winword, but
    > after I opened word, it says the program is not installed for the
    > user or whatever and I have to go to set up and install the program,
    > which doens't make sense so please give me any advise that you can,
    > thanks.

    What type of install did you do? Repair installation or parallel?
    Does not sound like a repair installation.

    Reinstall your applications.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    I am not sure, I chose "new installation" when I put the disk in, and when
    it went to ms-dos mode or whatever I installed the software into the same
    patritioned I think and during the process it said deleting old windows or
    somethign like that.

    kirkycake wrote:
    > I am not sure, I chose "new installation" when I put the disk in,
    > and when it went to ms-dos mode or whatever I installed the software
    > into the same patritioned I think and during the process it said
    > deleting old windows or somethign like that.

    You confirmed what i thought - you installed XP over itself - getting rid of
    registry entries and the likes needed to properly run most installed
    applications.

    You will have to reinstall your applications.

    In the future.. If you perform a repair install, your installation media
    (CD)
    needs to really be the same service pack level as your currently installed
    system. You will likely need to create a new CD from the old one with SP2
    slipstreamed/integrated into it. Something like "AutoStreamer" would assist
    you in making this new CD from the old one.

    Create a SP2 Slipstreamed Windows XP CD with Autostreamer
    http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html

    Perform a Repair installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

    --