Lyrics of the songs I'm listening to

Last response: in Video Games
June 5, 2005 1:08:28 PM

I think I'm somehow bad with words so the response I got from my request
isn't quite what I was asking for.... So I guess it's better to
demonstrate them with lyrics of the songs I listen to so it's easier for
you guys to know what I was talking about. Anyways, I'll just list them
here:

Classics:

"Lovin' You" (Minnie Riperton)

Lovin' you is easy 'cause you're beautiful
Makin' love with you is all I wanna do
Lovin' you is more than just a dream come true
And everything that I do is out of lovin' you
La la la la la la la... do do do do do... Ah ah ah ah ah~!

No one else can make me feel
The colors that you bring
Stay with me while we grow old
And we will live each day in springtime

Cause lovin' you has made my life so beautiful
And every day my of life is filled with lovin' you

Lovin' you I see your soul come shinin' through
And every time that we oomph
I'm more in love with you
La la la la la la la... do do do do do... Ah ah ah ah ah~!
(repeat)

"My Foolish Heart" (jazz standard)

The night is like a lovely tune.
Beware! My foolish heart.
How white the ever constant moon.
Take care! my foolish heart.

There's a line between love and fascination,
It's hard to see on an evening such as this.
For they give the very same sensation.
When you are lost in the passion of a kiss.

Her/His lips are much too close to mine,
Beware! My foolish heart.
But should our eager lips combine,
then there the fire start.

For this time it isn't fascination,
or a dream that will fade then fall apart,
This time, it is love! my foolish heart.

"Here Comes the Sun" (Beatles)

Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
and I say, it's all right.

Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter.
Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here.

Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
and I say, it's all right.

Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces.
Little darling, it seems like years since it's been here.

Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
and I say, it's all right.

Sun, sun, sun, here it comes...
Sun, sun, sun, here it comes...
Sun, sun, sun, here it comes...
Sun, sun, sun, here it comes...
Sun, sun, sun, here it comes...

Little darling, I feel that ice is slowly melting.
Little darling, it seems like years since it's been clear.

Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
and I say, it's all right.
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun.

It's all right.
It's all right.

"What a Wonderful World" (Louis Armstrong)

I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

The colours of the rainbow, so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people going by
I see friends shakin' hands, sayin' "How do you do?"
They're really saying "I love you"

I hear babies cryin', I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Yes, I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Oh yeah

"Oh Girl" (Chi-Lites)

Oh girl
I'd be in trouble if you left me now
'Cos I don't know where to look for love
I just don't know how

Oh girl
How I depend on you
To give me love when I need it
Right on time you would always be

All my friends call me a fool
They say:
"Let the woman take care of you"

So I, I try to be hip and think like the crowd
But not even the crowd will help me now

Oh girl
Tell me what am I gonna do
'Cos I know I got such a guilty face
Girl, I feel so out of place
Oh, yeah, yeah

Oh, no, no
Don't know where to look
Don't know where to run
Don't know where to go
Oh girl
I'm no good without you, no, no

I guess I'll never know
I could save myself
A lot of useless tears
Girl, I've gotta get away from here

Oh girl
Pain will double if you leave me now
'Cos I don't know where to look for love
And I just don't know how

Contemporaries:

"Everybody's Changing" (Keane)

You say you wander your own land
But when I think about it
I don't see how you can.

You're aching, you're breaking
and I can see the pain in your eyes.
'cause everybody's changing
and I don't know why

So little time
Try to understand that I
try to make a move to stay in the game, I
try to stay awake and remember my name, but
everybody's changing
and I don't feel the same

You're gone from here
and soon you will disappear
fade into beautiful light.
'cause everybody's changing
and I don't feel right

So little time
Try to understand that I
try to make a move to stay in the game, I
try to stay awake and remember my name, but
everybody's changing
and I don't feel the same

So little time
Try to understand that I
try to make a move to stay in the game, I
try to stay awake and remember my name, but
everybody's changing
and I don't feel the same

Everybody's changing
and I don't feel the same

"Somewhere Only We Know" (Keane)

I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete

Oh simple thing where have you gone?
I'm getting old and I need something to rely on
So tell me when you're gonna let me in
I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin

I came across a fallen tree
I felt the branches of it looking at me
Is this the place we used to love?
Is this the place that I've been dreaming of?

Oh simple thing where have you gone?
I'm getting old and I need something to rely on
So tell me when you're gonna let me in
I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin

And if you have a minute why don't we go
Talk about it somewhere only we know?
This could be the end of everything
So why don't we go
Somewhere only we know?
Somewhere only we know.

Oh simple thing where have you gone?
I'm getting old and I need something to rely on
So tell me when you're gonna let me in
I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin

So if you have a minute why don't we go
Talk about it somewhere only we know?
This could be the end of everything
So why don't we go
So why don't we go

This could be the end of everything
So why don't we go
Somewhere only we know?
Somewhere only we know.

Somewhere only we know.

"Don't Panic" (Coldplay)

Bones sinking like stones
All that we've fought for
All these places we've grown
All of us are done for

We live in a beautiful world
Yeah we do, yeah we do
We live in a beautiful world
(repeat once)

We live in a beautiful world
Yeah we do, yeah we do
We live in a beautiful world

Oh all that I know
There's nothing here to run from
'Cos yeah, everybody here's got somebody to lean on

Parachute (Coldplay)

In a haze, a stormy haze,
I¢ll be 'round, I¢ll be loving you always, always,

Here I am and I'll take my time,
here I am and I¢ll wait in line always, always

"Everything's Not Lost" (Coldplay)

When I counted up my demons,
Saw there was one for everyday.
With the good ones on my shoulder,
I drove the other ones away.

So if you ever feel neglected,
And if you think all is lost,
I'll be counting up my demons, yeah,
Hoping everything's not lost.

When you thought that it was over,
You could feel it all around.
Everybody's out to get you,
Don't you let it drag you down.

If you ever feel neglected,
And if you think all is lost.
I'll be counting up my demons, yeah,
Hoping everything's not lost.

If you ever feel neglected,
And if you think all is lost.
I'll be counting up my demons, yeah,
Hoping everythings not lost.

Sing out oh oh oh yeah
Oh oh yeah
Oh oh yeah
Everything's not lost
Come on yeah
Oh oh yeah
Come on yeah
Everything's not lost
Oh oh yeah
Oh oh yeah
Oh oh yeah
Everything's not lost
Come on yeah
Oh oh yeah
Come on yeah
Come on yeah
Oh oh yeah
Come on yeah
Everything's not lost
Sing out yeah
Oh oh yeah
Come on yeah
Everyting's not lost
Come on yeah
Oh oh yeah
Sing out yeah
Everything's not lost

"Seven Years" (Norah Jones)

Spinning, laughing, dancing to
Her favorite song
A little girl with nothing wrong
Is all alone

Eyes wide open
Always hoping for the sun
And she¢ll sing her song to anyone
That comes along

Fragile as a leaf in autumn
Just fallin¢ to the ground
Without a sound

Crooked little smile on her face
Tells a tale of grace
That¢s all her own

Fragile as a leaf in autumn
Just fallin¢ to the ground
Without a sound

Spinning, laughing, dancing to her favorite song
She's a little girl with nothing wrong
And she¢s all alone

A little girl with nothing wrong
And she¢s all alone

"You Can't Hurry Love" (The Concretes' version.... Okay, this one is
trashy, but it's very cute and the tune is kinda catchy. AND, it's true
that you can't hurry love :-p)

Boy did you hear me say did you hear me say now?
"Love ain't far."
Well I done mine, done mine, done mine, oh oh.

Ooh~ you can't hurry love!
Ooh~ you can't hurry love!
(repeat)

"Soldier Girl" (Polyphonic Spree)

I've found my~
She's so far~
She makes my head~

I've found my soldier girl
She's so far away
She makes my head spin around.
(Repeat last stanza ad nauseum or until your head spin around)

She makes my head....

That's a very long list....

--
Ashikaga a27

More about : lyrics songs listening

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 1:08:29 PM

"Ashikaga" <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I think I'm somehow bad with words so the response I got from my
>request
> isn't quite what I was asking for....

Well...you said you wanted some "classics," so I suggested a few
things that in my eyes were instrumental to 20th century American pop
music.

> "Lovin' You" (Minnie Riperton)

I don't have anything really against any of the songs on your list,
except from this one, which is truly retch-inducing.

> "Here Comes the Sun" (Beatles)

IMO, a high percentage of the Beatles' most popular music tends to be
extremely repetitive. I don't really know why people are and were so
keen on it. "Hey Jude" is obviously the worst offender!

> "Oh Girl" (Chi-Lites)

Well, it beats their "Have You Seen Her." You might like it.

> "Everybody's Changing" (Keane)
> "Somewhere Only We Know" (Keane)

I suspect no one will remember who Keane is in 20 years. They are
sort of a sappier, more boring Coldplay clone.

But anyway, there's a near infinite supply of piano baladeers our
there, if that's what you want desire. I'm sure you'd enjoy Ben
Folds' and Tori Amos' slower, less unusual songs, and it would not
amaze me if you are a Train fan. Then there's Travis, Snow Patrol,
etc. You might even like Death Cab for Cutie.

I'm sure you'd like Ftas and B.B. King and all those sorts.

If you feel in the mood for depression, go for the Red House Painters
/ Sun Kil Moon.

-Ophidian
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 1:08:29 PM

Oh yeah, you'd probably also like the Josh Joplin Group, and Vertical
Horizon's early acoustic stuff before they became the flavor of the
week a few hundred weeks ago.

-Ophidian
June 6, 2005 9:49:09 AM

Eek! Zac Bond wrote:
> "Ashikaga" wrote...
<snip>
>> "Lovin' You" (Minnie Riperton)
>
> I don't have anything really against any of the songs on your list,
> except from this one, which is truly retch-inducing.

LOL! My brother calls it a classics. I like it too. The more I listen to
it, the more I think the lyrics is rather ingenius. Perhaps subconsciously
you think love is regurgiatious....

>> "Here Comes the Sun" (Beatles)
>
> IMO, a high percentage of the Beatles' most popular music tends to be
> extremely repetitive. I don't really know why people are and were so
> keen on it. "Hey Jude" is obviously the worst offender!

I don't usually like repetative songs either, but this one is very
assuring. I like sun and here it comes! :-D And everything is alright.
Aww....

>> "Oh Girl" (Chi-Lites)
>
> Well, it beats their "Have You Seen Her." You might like it.

No. I listened to it already and I like "Oh Girl" much better, and it's a
very specific version that I like. It's a very traditional R&B style.

>> "Everybody's Changing" (Keane)
>> "Somewhere Only We Know" (Keane)
>
> I suspect no one will remember who Keane is in 20 years. They are
> sort of a sappier, more boring Coldplay clone.

There are a few lines that hit me deep. That's what I like about the songs
I picked; they must have some sentimental value to me. Those two songs
above are rather nostalgic or long for something that's long lost and
that's what I like about them. Coldplay are nice, but Keane has a few good
ones too, so don't be so biased.

> But anyway, there's a near infinite supply of piano baladeers our
> there, if that's what you want desire. I'm sure you'd enjoy Ben
> Folds' and Tori Amos' slower, less unusual songs, and it would not
> amaze me if you are a Train fan. Then there's Travis, Snow Patrol,
> etc. You might even like Death Cab for Cutie.

Out of all the stuff you mentioned, only Ben Folds made my okay list.
Train is okay, but too pretentious. Drops of Jupiter is the only okay one
for me but after a while, you'd find the lyrics is a little strange and
"outthere." Death Cab for Cutie..., there is only one song I like
(Transatlanticism) and the rest sounds like the clone of it.... Tori
Amos..., her songs don't even make sense!

> I'm sure you'd like Ftas and B.B. King and all those sorts.

Couldn't find Ftas, but BB King..., too broad. Which songs?

> If you feel in the mood for depression, go for the Red House Painters
> / Sun Kil Moon.

Those are no-nos. Very boring punk rocks. Strong beats but narcotic
lyrics.

> Josh Joplin Group, and Vertical Horizon

Too American Eagle-ish.... Not saying they are bad, but very generic
songs. It's one of those "Hear one, you've heard them all" kind of song.
I've grown out of that sort of songs already. A little too boyband (with
rock twist).

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous

Ashikaga wrote:

>>> "Lovin' You" (Minnie Riperton)
>>
>> I don't have anything really against any of the songs on your list,
>> except from this one, which is truly retch-inducing.

I think Minnie Riperton's music is a lot like durians (the fruit).

> Train is okay, but too pretentious. Drops of Jupiter is the only okay one
> for me but after a while, you'd find the lyrics is a little strange and
> "outthere."

Ugh, I really can't stand Train. The lyrics aren't really strange at all -
it's about a girl who thinks her life is boring so goes out to have grand
new experiences, then comes home after a while.

> Tori Amos..., her songs don't even make sense!

Maybe, but they have deep meaning. I think the problem is that you like
upbeat and cheary lyrics but she mostly writes sinister.

Try these (keep in mind that I tend to prefer to hear the female voice,
and that not all of these are likely to really be classics - in fact, I
have no idea whether some of them have actually been released as singles,
but I like them so everyone else should too or they're dumb):

Chantal Kreviazuk - "Before You"

The Innocence Mission - "Today"
(they have a version of "It's a Wonderful World" you should hear too)

Arrogants - "Lovesick"

Emm Gryner - "Summerlong"

Sinead Lohan - "Whatever It Takes..."

The La's - "There She Goes"

Sade - "The Sweetest Taboo"

Carole King - "Brother, Brother"

10,000 Maniacs - "These Are Days"

Joni Mitchell - "Help Me"

Monty Python - "Sit On My Face"

The Sundays - "Can't Be Sure"

Colin Hay - "Beautiful World"

Gentle Giant - "Thank You"

Annie Haslam - "Hunioco"

Eric Matthews - "My Morning Parade"

Kate Bush - "Wuthering Heights"

Tom Waits - "In the Neighborhood"

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.

>> I don't have anything really against any of the songs on your list,
>> except from this one, which is truly retch-inducing.
>
> LOL! My brother calls it a classics. I like it too. The more I
> listen to
> it, the more I think the lyrics is rather ingenius. Perhaps
> subconsciously
> you think love is regurgiatious....

Which lyrics are genius?

> No. I listened to it already and I like "Oh Girl" much better, and
> it's a
> very specific version that I like. It's a very traditional R&B
> style.

Then perhaps you should go for some old school Marvin Gaye or
Temptations.

> Out of all the stuff you mentioned, only Ben Folds made my okay
> list.
> Train is okay, but too pretentious. Drops of Jupiter is the only
> okay one

I agree, Train is horribly pretentious.

> "outthere." Death Cab for Cutie..., there is only one song I like
> (Transatlanticism) and the rest sounds like the clone of it....

You can always try the Decemberists, but they might not be
sufficiently straightforward for your tastes.

> Tori Amos..., her songs don't even make sense!

Some don't, some do, most of them are buried in complex symbolism.

>> I'm sure you'd like Ftas and B.B. King and all those sorts.
>
> Couldn't find Ftas, but BB King..., too broad. Which songs?

I dunno, I don't listen to much of either. Ftas should have been
Fats, as in Fats Domino.

>> If you feel in the mood for depression, go for the Red House
>> Painters
>> / Sun Kil Moon.
>
> Those are no-nos. Very boring punk rocks. Strong beats but
> narcotic
> lyrics.

LOL, you have no clue what you are talking about. If Red House
Painters is "punk rock" then my grandma was the 5th Beatle. If you
want a "nostalgic longing for something lost," then those bands are
just what you need. Maybe Mojave 3 and Josh Ritter, too. What do you
mean by "narcotic lyrics?"

> Too American Eagle-ish.... Not saying they are bad, but very
> generic
> songs. It's one of those "Hear one, you've heard them all" kind of
> song.
> I've grown out of that sort of songs already. A little too boyband
> (with
> rock twist).

Joplin has a decent variety across his two albums. My favorites are
"Listening," "Undone," and "I am Not the Only Cowboy." Comparing a
singer/songwriter to a boy band is inchoherent, to say the least.

It's challenging to make recommendations because your taste seems
extremely limited. There's always Jump Little Children, Sarah
McLachlan, Howie Day, Division St., maybe Pedro the Lion, Heather
Nova, Vic Chesnutt...

-Ophidian
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 5:24:08 PM

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 05:49:09 GMT, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>>> "Here Comes the Sun" (Beatles)
>>
>> IMO, a high percentage of the Beatles' most popular music tends to be
>> extremely repetitive. I don't really know why people are and were so
>> keen on it. "Hey Jude" is obviously the worst offender!
>
>I don't usually like repetative songs either, but this one is very
>assuring. I like sun and here it comes! :-D And everything is alright.
>Aww....

Did you ever hear George Harrison's "Here Come The Moon"?
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
-Alfred E. Neumann
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 5:37:25 PM

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 04:17:42 -0400, Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net>
wrote:

>Gentle Giant - "Thank You"

My favorite Gentle Giant song is Advent Of Panurge from the Octopus
album. Very Gryphon-like.
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
-Alfred E. Neumann
June 7, 2005 2:59:43 AM

Quoth Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com>:
> Coldplay are nice, but Keane has a few good ones too, so don't be
> so biased.

I'm one of the few people I know who really doesn't like Coldplay very
much. Chris Martin's voice makes him sound like he's constantly
whining, even when the song in question isn't particularly angst-
ridden. They just remind me too much of the sort of band people formed
at university and played in the basement of the student bar.

Clocks, I actually like, I must admit. But it's the only one of theirs
I can think of offhand. Couldn't even name you any Keane songs --
shows how much of an impression they made on me. >:)

\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 4:16:13 AM

Eek! Cape Dweller wrote:

>>> I don't have anything really against any of the songs on your list,
>>> except from this one, which is truly retch-inducing.
>
> I think Minnie Riperton's music is a lot like durians (the fruit).

LOL! It's an acquired taste, you mean?

>> Train is okay, but too pretentious. Drops of Jupiter is the only okay one
>> for me but after a while, you'd find the lyrics is a little strange and
>> "outthere."
>
> Ugh, I really can't stand Train. The lyrics aren't really strange at all -
> it's about a girl who thinks her life is boring so goes out to have grand
> new experiences, then comes home after a while.

If you listen to the lyrics and try to get into their mindframe.... Well,
I can't with their music....

>> Tori Amos..., her songs don't even make sense!
>
> Maybe, but they have deep meaning. I think the problem is that you like
> upbeat and cheary lyrics but she mostly writes sinister.

I like cheery and simple musics because I am usually way too tired to
analyze my musics, which usually is something that I play in a car's CD
player on the way to work. My work is rather physical demanding, so all
you want to do after work is just go home and sleep.... No time for that
thinking stuff.... A cheery music usually can lift the mood, so that's all
I need to get myself started to work.

I'll go check out those soundtrack when I came home.

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous

Eek! Zac Bond wrote:
> "Ashikaga" wrote...
>
>>> I don't have anything really against any of the songs on your list,
>>> except from this one, which is truly retch-inducing.
>>
>> LOL! My brother calls it a classics. I like it too. The more I
>> listen to
>> it, the more I think the lyrics is rather ingenius. Perhaps
>> subconsciously
>> you think love is regurgiatious....
>
> Which lyrics are genius?

Almost every line. I suppose what we are looking for are different. Keep
in mind I am a 27-year old virgin. :-D

>> No. I listened to it already and I like "Oh Girl" much better, and
>> it's a
>> very specific version that I like. It's a very traditional R&B
>> style.
>
> Then perhaps you should go for some old school Marvin Gaye or
> Temptations.

I did download a few Marvin Gaye stuff. Temptations, now, you gave me some
direction. :-)

>> Out of all the stuff you mentioned, only Ben Folds made my okay
>> list.
>> Train is okay, but too pretentious. Drops of Jupiter is the only
>> okay one
>
> I agree, Train is horribly pretentious.

Yes. It's okay for a minor dose, but not something one could listen over
and over without begin to think how strange it is to have a discussion
about celestial body linked to a love song.

>> "outthere." Death Cab for Cutie..., there is only one song I like
>> (Transatlanticism) and the rest sounds like the clone of it....
>
> You can always try the Decemberists, but they might not be
> sufficiently straightforward for your tastes.

(*nods*) Not straightforward enough indeed. They all sound the same to me
anyways.

>>> I'm sure you'd like Ftas and B.B. King and all those sorts.
>>
>> Couldn't find Ftas, but BB King..., too broad. Which songs?
>
> I dunno, I don't listen to much of either. Ftas should have been
> Fats, as in Fats Domino.

Okay.

>>> If you feel in the mood for depression, go for the Red House
>>> Painters
>>> / Sun Kil Moon.
>>
>> Those are no-nos. Very boring punk rocks. Strong beats but
>> narcotic
>> lyrics.
>
> LOL, you have no clue what you are talking about. If Red House
> Painters is "punk rock" then my grandma was the 5th Beatle. If you
> want a "nostalgic longing for something lost," then those bands are
> just what you need. Maybe Mojave 3 and Josh Ritter, too. What do you
> mean by "narcotic lyrics?"

It means the lyricist must have smoked quite a lot of pot before they can
write something like that....

>> Too American Eagle-ish.... Not saying they are bad, but very
>> generic
>> songs. It's one of those "Hear one, you've heard them all" kind of
>> song.
>> I've grown out of that sort of songs already. A little too boyband
>> (with
>> rock twist).
>
> Joplin has a decent variety across his two albums. My favorites are
> "Listening," "Undone," and "I am Not the Only Cowboy." Comparing a
> singer/songwriter to a boy band is inchoherent, to say the least.
>
> It's challenging to make recommendations because your taste seems
> extremely limited. There's always Jump Little Children, Sarah
> McLachlan, Howie Day, Division St., maybe Pedro the Lion, Heather
> Nova, Vic Chesnutt...

Yes. I am kind of limited in taste and I usually want to find something
that has a balance between a catchy tune and a good lyrics. Usually I find
songs rely solely on catchy tunes are rather trashy. Some songs with good
lyrics are not only hard to find, but some are badly executed....
Sometimes it makes me feel they don't know what they are singing about.

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous

Optician Dragon wrote:

>>Gentle Giant - "Thank You"
>>
> My favorite Gentle Giant song is Advent Of Panurge from the Octopus album.
> Very Gryphon-like.

I only have the 1 Gentle Giant album, but I'd love to get some more if I
ever see them. I've heard that "Giant for a Day" is one of their least
favoured, but I like it.

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 6:40:26 AM

Ashikaga wrote:

>> I think Minnie Riperton's music is a lot like durians (the fruit).
>
> LOL! It's an acquired taste, you mean?

Not necessarily "acquired", but those who like it love it, those who don't
tend to hate it. It's sweet, but

> If you listen to the lyrics and try to get into their mindframe....
> Well, I can't with their music....

I find those people who like artists like Train for their lyrics tend to
think they're profound when they're quite not.

> I like cheery and simple musics because I am usually way too tired to
> analyze my musics, which usually is something that I play in a car's CD
> player on the way to work.

You don't have to analyse music to appreciate songs with deeply meaningful
lyrics, I tend not to pay too much attention to lyrics until I've heard a
song several times.

> My work is rather physical demanding, so all you want to do after work
> is just go home and sleep....

Erm, I thought you worked at the Gap? That's hardly physically demanding!
You should try working at a few factory jobs or farming (stooking hay for
example) :)

After working a physically demanding job I always wanted to stimulate my
mind more than anything. Music is probably the easiest way to completely
rest the body and keep the mind active.

> No time for that thinking stuff.... A cheery music usually can lift
> the mood, so that's all I need to get myself started to work.

Hmm... I've always found most physically demanding work to be fairly
repetitive which leaves open the possibility to do a lot of thinking. My
current job (tech support type stuff) is actually quite different than
I've been used to in that it requires a lot of attention and thought, but
even still when I get home I want to stimulate my mind in more personal
pursuits since I don't have much of an opportunity during the day.

> I'll go check out those soundtrack when I came home.

You better! I probably spent 1/2 hour or more compiling that list (of
course I had to listen to most of them again :)  )

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 11:44:58 AM

Eek! Cape Dweller wrote:
<snip>
> The Innocence Mission - "Today"
> (they have a version of "It's a Wonderful World" you should hear too)

Can't stand her voice....

<snip>

Thank you for the list. Though I don't know what you are aiming for with
that Monty Python song. :-D I know my taste is rather bizarre and super
picky, but your effort is appreciated. I like Sade, but I think it's
better to see her performance than just listen to her, as that's half of
the charm lost.

I think you are picking some easy-listening songs for me this time, and
that's unfortunately something I tend to avoid the most....

I did find something yesterday though, while browsing through all the songs
you provided, and then I branched off.... Happens to me all the time....
Anyways, I found Audrey Hepburn's version of Moon River. It's a charming
little song, though I found the lyrics can be better, but it has its own
charm to it, and that magic is what's been missing for most of those bland
musics we tend to listen nowadays.

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous

Eek! Cape Dweller wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
>
>>> I think Minnie Riperton's music is a lot like durians (the fruit).
>>
>> LOL! It's an acquired taste, you mean?
>
> Not necessarily "acquired", but those who like it love it, those who don't
> tend to hate it. It's sweet, but

Yikes. Get your meaning now.

>> If you listen to the lyrics and try to get into their mindframe....
>> Well, I can't with their music....
>
> I find those people who like artists like Train for their lyrics tend to
> think they're profound when they're quite not.

Yeah. It's rather pretentious, rather than deep. We have way too many
people who are into that sort of faked smartness.

Speaking of which, I was in another Gap location to visit my old manager,
and when I asked the guy where she was and when she would be back, he just
said something like he wasn't at liberty at giving out such information.
It's so laughable I almost wanted to cry. What's so private about
someone's whereabout? He could have given me some vague answer if that's
what he really wanted to protect one's privacy, and instead of giving me
such stupid statement as if it would make him sounds more knowledgeable or
something.

>> I like cheery and simple musics because I am usually way too tired to
>> analyze my musics, which usually is something that I play in a car's CD
>> player on the way to work.
>
> You don't have to analyse music to appreciate songs with deeply meaningful
> lyrics, I tend not to pay too much attention to lyrics until I've heard a
> song several times.
>
>> My work is rather physical demanding, so all you want to do after work
>> is just go home and sleep....
>
> Erm, I thought you worked at the Gap? That's hardly physically demanding!
> You should try working at a few factory jobs or farming (stooking hay for
> example) :)

You don't know what you are talking about until you work here. Try pick up
twenty pairs of jeans at once in your arm and see how labor-intensive it
can be, and remember you have to do it with speed. Do that every single
day and we have erratic schedules. So I could do a closing shift one day
(until 11:00pm), then next day, I have to wake up 5:00 o'clock in the
morning to catch another shift in 7:00am. It's a major energy drainer with
that kind of schedule. This Wednesday, I have to work from 4:00a.m. to
1:00p.m. in the afternoon (that's 9 hours) to do some markdowns, then deal
with customers and on top of that, do women's fitting rooms! (women are
messy shoppers....)

I don't usually have day-offs on weekends. Some days they just give me
like 3-hour shifts so it totally ruins my own schedule for the day.
Fortunately they're going to give me full-time position soon (but nothing
is for certain with the current management), despite I'm already working at
full-time hours (but still part-time benefits).

PLUS there is absolutely no job security working there, so that's a major
emotional stress that really add on top of my already tired physical energy
level. Not to mention the management is very insensible..., so sometimes
all I can think of while I'm off work is think about how to fend off those
pesty managers. It feels like I never really get out of work.

BTW, I do gardening at home to reduce stress.... Trust me, I'd rather do
farming than working at Gap, but I have no other choice at this time. No
job over here.

> After working a physically demanding job I always wanted to stimulate my
> mind more than anything. Music is probably the easiest way to completely
> rest the body and keep the mind active.

Yeah, it's nice to do that sometimes, but when you have absolutely no free
time to speak of, listen to music while driving is about all you can do.
Other free time I just spend it here chatting with you guys, or go to a
mall to take my mind off something.

>> No time for that thinking stuff.... A cheery music usually can lift
>> the mood, so that's all I need to get myself started to work.
>
> Hmm... I've always found most physically demanding work to be fairly
> repetitive which leaves open the possibility to do a lot of thinking. My
> current job (tech support type stuff) is actually quite different than
> I've been used to in that it requires a lot of attention and thought, but
> even still when I get home I want to stimulate my mind in more personal
> pursuits since I don't have much of an opportunity during the day.

I do customer service everyday, and it's so repetitive, it doesn't really
use any brain.... Not the level I used to do in school anyways. I miss
school somewhat. I feel rather detached. I don't know, I guess I am so
used to doing projects and group works and getting the newest information
on business, that without such exchanging of information, my life feels
quite empty.... I think I enjoy finance too much.... It's so natural to
me that I do that even when I work in Gap everyday and think how I could
cut cost and what Gap has done wrong that can be done differently. But
with the current narrow-minded management, they don't listen to anything.
It's very painful to work with such kind of management you know.

At least when I was working at Fry's, I was happy to go to work everyday.

>> I'll go check out those soundtrack when I came home.
>
> You better! I probably spent 1/2 hour or more compiling that list (of
> course I had to listen to most of them again :)  )

I did check out them. And it takes a lot of time to go over the lists you
gave me because I need to listen to those sound clips over and over to
decide whether I like them or not (not to mention if I can't understand
what they sing, I have to search for the lyrics). Thanks a lot for your
effort though. And more thanks for providing the exact names of the songs
you picked, as that takes a lot of guess work out of picking out the right
songs.

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous

Samurai wrote:
> Quoth Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com>:
> > Coldplay are nice, but Keane has a few good ones too, so don't be
> > so biased.
>
> I'm one of the few people I know who really doesn't like Coldplay very
> much. Chris Martin's voice makes him sound like he's constantly
> whining, even when the song in question isn't particularly angst-
> ridden. They just remind me too much of the sort of band people formed
> at university and played in the basement of the student bar.

Eh. In whining veritas, and all that.

Sammie, you never came and saw the band I formed at university. We
played in the basement of the student bar. We had two drummers, a
saxophonist, and two guitarists. One of our songs was called "You're So
Passive" -- I can assure you we sounded very little like Coldplay.

On the other hand, my voice made us sound like we were constantly on
*fire*, which I imagine wouldn't actually count as an improvement to
certain people.

> Clocks, I actually like, I must admit. But it's the only one of theirs
> I can think of offhand. Couldn't even name you any Keane songs --
> shows how much of an impression they made on me. >:)

There's that one with the earcatching wee-woo noise on the outro. The
wee-woo noise that isn't their singer, I mean.

The album is one of the most extraordinarily banal things I've ever
heard, however. I literally can't listen to it: it doesn't work as
music, it doesn't work as poetry, it doesn't work as
minimal-ambient-drone (by comparison, I have a immensely attractive
record by Nurse With Wound which consists of nothing, and I mean
nothing, but cold little bleeping drones repeating in distant swells
sequences for around two hundred and ten minutes... it's all in the
silence...)
June 8, 2005 3:44:21 AM

Quoth submersible@gmail.com:
>> They just remind me too much of the sort of band people
>> formed at university and played in the basement of the
>> student bar.
>
> Eh. In whining veritas, and all that.

Indeed. :)

> Sammie, you never came and saw the band I formed at university. We
> played in the basement of the student bar. We had two drummers, a
> saxophonist, and two guitarists.

No, you're right, I didn't -- perhaps to my detriment. Any band with
a sax in it has to be worth at least a quick listen, and two drummers
is an intriguing idea. :)

> One of our songs was called "You're So Passive" -- I can assure
> you we sounded very little like Coldplay.

I misspoke -- "/one of the sorts/ of band that played in the basement
of the student bar" would of course be more accurate. But students
are known for whining, so the most common sort would indeed by a
whiny one. I believe the term that's come into popular parlance
recently is "emo", or something similar.

> On the other hand, my voice made us sound like we were constantly
> on *fire*, which I imagine wouldn't actually count as an
> improvement to certain people.

*grin* In some circles, "on fire" is an idiom denoting effective
performance, of course.

>> Clocks, I actually like, I must admit. But it's the only one of
>> theirs I can think of offhand. Couldn't even name you any Keane
>> songs -- shows how much of an impression they made on me. >:)
>
> There's that one with the earcatching wee-woo noise on the outro.
> The wee-woo noise that isn't their singer, I mean.

Oh, is that Keane? I remember the wee-woo noises, but only those.
The rest of the song resides nowhere in my head.

> The album is one of the most extraordinarily banal things I've
> ever heard, however. I literally can't listen to it: it doesn't
> work as music, it doesn't work as poetry, it doesn't work as
> minimal-ambient-drone

I'll take your word for it, as I don't plan to find out myself. :)

> (by comparison, I have a immensely attractive record by Nurse
> With Wound which consists of nothing, and I mean nothing, but
> cold little bleeping drones repeating in distant swells
> sequences for around two hundred and ten minutes...

You know, I'm entirely not surprised you have something like that in
your collection. :)

> it's all in the silence...)

\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 7:20:12 AM

Ashikaga wrote:

>> Not necessarily "acquired", but those who like it love it, those who
>> don't tend to hate it. It's sweet, but
>
> Yikes. Get your meaning now.

I guess the key to understanding is to forget to go back and finish the

> what he really wanted to protect one's privacy, and instead of giving me
> such stupid statement as if it would make him sounds more knowledgeable or
> something.

Maybe he knows someone who was fired for giving out that kind of
information and was protecting his job. I know there are times when I've
gotten so frustrated from company policy that I've started behaving badly.

> You don't know what you are talking about until you work here. Try pick
> up twenty pairs of jeans at once in your arm and see how labor-intensive
> it can be, and remember you have to do it with speed.

I think a bale of hay/straw weighs more than 20 pairs of jeans, and a few
days after stooking you have to load up a wagon with bales, then load them
into the barn. Basically a couple of guys load a conveyer with bales and
as they fall into the barn you have to go over and pick them up, then
carry/throw them over to where they're to be stacked, then stack them
while more bales are falling behind you, plus the air is filled with
straw/hay dust and your arms get cut up from the ends of straw.

The Gap would be a cakewalk in comparison.

> PLUS there is absolutely no job security working there, so that's a major
> emotional stress that really add on top of my already tired physical
> energy level. Not to mention the management is very insensible...

I think that's the worst part of it, having to deal with a bad work
environment is probably more draining than the most physical labour. I'd
take intense physical labour and working with nice people any day.

> Yeah, it's nice to do that sometimes, but when you have absolutely no free
> time to speak of, listen to music while driving is about all you can do.
> Other free time I just spend it here chatting with you guys, or go to a
> mall to take my mind off something.

How many hours a week do you work?

> I do customer service everyday, and it's so repetitive, it doesn't really
> use any brain.... Not the level I used to do in school anyways. I miss
> school somewhat. I feel rather detached. I don't know, I guess I am so
> used to doing projects and group works and getting the newest information
> on business, that without such exchanging of information, my life feels
> quite empty....

I'd miss school a lot more if it wasn't for all the relatively pointless
exercises they make you do, like assignments that haven't changed for 10
years. We had a couple of great professors that were constantly updating
their classes, giving new and interesting assignment questions but most
were stuck in the same old rut. Of course most of my classmates hated the
dynamic teachers, preferring the drudgery because they could then just
copy old assignments from friends.

> And more thanks for providing the exact
> names of the songs you picked, as that takes a lot of guess work out of
> picking out the right songs.

I tried to find music from my collection that most accurately reflected
the songs you gave, which usually means giving a specific song since most
artists have a wide range of material. If there are any you can't find I'm
sure I could find a way to get a copy of the song to you (and I wouldn't
be surprised, since some of them are from old vinyl records).

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 7:22:43 AM

Ashikaga wrote:

>> The Innocence Mission - "Today"
>> (they have a version of "It's a Wonderful World" you should hear too)
>
> Can't stand her voice....

I think Karen Peris is a lot like Minnie Riperton...

> Thank you for the list. Though I don't know what you are aiming for with
> that Monty Python song. :-D

Humour injection :)

> I think you are picking some easy-listening songs for me this time, and
> that's unfortunately something I tend to avoid the most....

All of the songs you gave are easy-listening type songs...

> Anyways, I found Audrey Hepburn's version of Moon River.

The Innocence Mission has a version of that, too ;)

Personally I like Morrissey's.

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 7:55:02 PM

> >> They just remind me too much of the sort of band people
> >> formed at university and played in the basement of the
> >> student bar.
> >
> > Eh. In whining veritas, and all that.
>
> Indeed. :)

Oh, I'm glad you approve. That was a happy accident the other night and
I've been aching to try it out on someone... :)

> > Sammie, you never came and saw the band I formed at university. We
> > played in the basement of the student bar. We had two drummers, a
> > saxophonist, and two guitarists.
>
> No, you're right, I didn't -- perhaps to my detriment. Any band with
> a sax in it has to be worth at least a quick listen, and two drummers
> is an intriguing idea. :)

Well, have you ever heard of a group called Morphine? Sadly, the leader
passed away some time ago, but they cut a rather attractive jib in
grouchy, beatnik-y sort of blues. They had an album called "The Night"
which I think would appeal to you.

We were not-entirely-by-accident somewhat inspired by them, in that
they had a minimal line-up of drums, saxophone, and guitar/bass -- the
singer would have a guitar strung with four strings, or a bass guitar
strung with three -- and the sax-and-drums were basically "the rhythm
section". So our sax guy spent most of his time either brassily honking
away at basslines on his tenor sax -- check out some classic David
Bowie for an idea -- or else giving the mouthpiece a good seeing-to for
some cathartic skronk.

We'd also listened to "Fun House" by The Stooges, who borrowed Roxy
Music's decidedly squawk-friendly sax player Andy Mackay for that
record, and we liked to think that on a good night we approached that
high-water-mark. Since we only played the bar three times before being
barred, however, we didn't quite get there.

And we ended up with two drummers because the original drummer could
play martial tattoos but he couldn't grasp syncopation, and his friend
came along to rehearse with us and give him some idea of what we
wanted, and we liked the sound of their completely different, clashing
styles so much that we kept both of them. It made us sound quite
clattery and ramshackle, which I still think is very cool.

> > One of our songs was called "You're So Passive" -- I can assure
> > you we sounded very little like Coldplay.
>
> I misspoke -- "/one of the sorts/ of band that played in the basement
> of the student bar" would of course be more accurate. But students
> are known for whining, so the most common sort would indeed by a
> whiny one. I believe the term that's come into popular parlance
> recently is "emo", or something similar.

I was just teasing. :)  But yes, "emo" is about right. Although in my
penetrative experience, emo tends to be even worse than Keane. Imagine
all the self-loathing and fear and general emotional incontinence that
characterises a Keane song, and then take away the fabled British sense
of reserve. It's icky.

Until you reach a group who actually make a prickly and gloriously
ambiguous art statement of having no sense -- "THIS IS THE WORST
VACATION EVER! / I'M GOING TO CUT OPEN YOUR FOREHEAD WITH A ROOFING
SHINGLE!!" -- of reserve whatsoever. That group exists, and they are
named Xiu Xiu. Unlike most of the hit parade, da Xiu match their
fraught lyrical topic with complementarily tangled musical
arrangements. Their most recent album is their finest -- "Fabulous
Muscles" is its name.

http://www.5rc.com/bands/xiuxiu/audio/IBrokeUp.mp3 should give you an
idea of their fairly deviant approach to a regular pop song. Enjoy
responsibly (with headphones, at a moderate level).

Actually, musically they're utterly fascinating. They don't really "do"
rock at all: when they're not being violated with electronic
interventions or pure racket, Xiu Xiu songs are more interested in
bells, cellos, nylon-string guitars and hand-drums. It's a pretty
unique sound, and now they've matured somewhat beyond their first
records, it's quite lush: sort of like Erasure as produced by David
Lynch.

> > On the other hand, my voice made us sound like we were constantly
> > on *fire*, which I imagine wouldn't actually count as an
> > improvement to certain people.
>
> *grin* In some circles, "on fire" is an idiom denoting effective
> performance, of course.

Not these ones. We're definitely talking about "on fire" in the Trogdor
sense of the vernacular.

> >> Clocks, I actually like, I must admit. But it's the only one of
> >> theirs I can think of offhand. Couldn't even name you any Keane
> >> songs -- shows how much of an impression they made on me. >:)
> >
> > There's that one with the earcatching wee-woo noise on the outro.
> > The wee-woo noise that isn't their singer, I mean.
>
> Oh, is that Keane? I remember the wee-woo noises, but only those.
> The rest of the song resides nowhere in my head.

The rest of the song is a fairly insipid piano ballad, like all the
rest of their songs except for the one which is an instrumental. <g>
It's called "Bedshaped" and it's fittingly the last song on the album
-- my little sister bought it, in case you're wondering.

The wee-woo noises compel me, unfortunately. I like them a lot. I
actually listened to that song quite a lot when it first came out, and
then stopped because I realised that I was beginning to have difficulty
with my posture.

The promo was cool, too. Lightworks did this tremendously neat
faux-claymation film for it and everything. Such a waste.

> > The album is one of the most extraordinarily banal things I've
> > ever heard, however. I literally can't listen to it: it doesn't
> > work as music, it doesn't work as poetry, it doesn't work as
> > minimal-ambient-drone
>
> I'll take your word for it, as I don't plan to find out myself. :)

She made me copy it to my computer so that she could have an mp3 CD for
her car. That's my excuse.

> > (by comparison, I have a immensely attractive record by Nurse
> > With Wound which consists of nothing, and I mean nothing, but
> > cold little bleeping drones repeating in distant swells
> > sequences for around two hundred and ten minutes...
>
> You know, I'm entirely not surprised you have something like that in
> your collection. :)

Hee. This is always kind of amusing, because people *think* I just do
it to be more-obscure-than-thou. "As if he listens to this unlistenable
junk all the time -- after a hard day at work, I bet you anything he
sits down and listens to Kylie like the rest of us girls..."

And they're wrong. Partly. Being more-obscure-than-thou is kind of
neat.

What's even neater is having the perfect musical accompaniment for an
occasion. In this case -- the record's named "Soliloquy for Lilith", by
the way, and it's really very nice -- the occasion just *happens* to be
sprawled out on a nearby hillside in the Chilterns, watching the
Perseids.

So, you know, it's a specific record I'll maybe only put on twice a
year and probably not listen to all the way through even then! But it's
still cool... that's just when it's most effective. Closer to terra
firma, it's like listening to Aretha doing "Respect" or to Bruce doing
"4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)" -- those songs just sound *pants* on
a Monday morning at 8am. They sound pretty fine on a Friday evening at
half past six, however. :)

> > it's all in the silence...)

"Listen. Do you hear it? It's getting closer."
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 9:40:43 PM

Eek! Cape Dweller wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
>
>>> The Innocence Mission - "Today"
>>> (they have a version of "It's a Wonderful World" you should hear too)
>>
>> Can't stand her voice....
>
> I think Karen Peris is a lot like Minnie Riperton...

No.... Her voice is whiny. Riperton's is more concise and clean.

>> Thank you for the list. Though I don't know what you are aiming for with
>> that Monty Python song. :-D
>
> Humour injection :)

LOL!

>> I think you are picking some easy-listening songs for me this time, and
>> that's unfortunately something I tend to avoid the most....
>
> All of the songs you gave are easy-listening type songs...

Well..., I guess we have different definitions....

>> Anyways, I found Audrey Hepburn's version of Moon River.
>
> The Innocence Mission has a version of that, too ;)

That's how I found Moon River then I head directly to the original
singer....

> Personally I like Morrissey's.

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 10:02:29 PM

Eek! Cape Dweller wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
>
>>> Not necessarily "acquired", but those who like it love it, those who
>>> don't tend to hate it. It's sweet, but
>>
>> Yikes. Get your meaning now.
>
> I guess the key to understanding is to forget to go back and finish the

Whatever. ;-D

>> what he really wanted to protect one's privacy, and instead of giving me
>> such stupid statement as if it would make him sounds more knowledgeable or
>> something.
>
> Maybe he knows someone who was fired for giving out that kind of
> information and was protecting his job. I know there are times when I've
> gotten so frustrated from company policy that I've started behaving badly.

It's very different from my store though. Despite the stupid management
stuff, usually our own coworkers are more friendly and sociable.

>> You don't know what you are talking about until you work here. Try pick
>> up twenty pairs of jeans at once in your arm and see how labor-intensive
>> it can be, and remember you have to do it with speed.
>
> I think a bale of hay/straw weighs more than 20 pairs of jeans, and a few
> days after stooking you have to load up a wagon with bales, then load them
> into the barn. Basically a couple of guys load a conveyer with bales and
> as they fall into the barn you have to go over and pick them up, then
> carry/throw them over to where they're to be stacked, then stack them
> while more bales are falling behind you, plus the air is filled with
> straw/hay dust and your arms get cut up from the ends of straw.
>
> The Gap would be a cakewalk in comparison.

I think you missed the point. It's not about who's work is worse, but I
think you've looked down on the physical requirement of my work too much.
I've built up muscles and at the same time, lost 20 lbs of weight since I
worked in Gap. Sometimes it's just plain unpleasantness that get you very
unmotivated and feel energyless, and you have to do everything with a smile
and stay polite, even when the customers are behaving badly.

>> PLUS there is absolutely no job security working there, so that's a major
>> emotional stress that really add on top of my already tired physical
>> energy level. Not to mention the management is very insensible...
>
> I think that's the worst part of it, having to deal with a bad work
> environment is probably more draining than the most physical labour. I'd
> take intense physical labour and working with nice people any day.

I think our management simply don't have a lot of management training. I
have an impression that they have no idea what's morale management
(actually they do almost everything to make sure people's morale stay
low...). I don't think they know the basics of modern management either.

Sometimes they just don't follow the company's own purpose and value. We
had a workshop session on the company's value purpose and behaviors, and
the managers who conducted them probably don't know the meaning of the
stuff they just made a presentation on. Company says "you be you" and yet
they pick on our dress code all the time (and sometimes it's something so
petty, it's laughable, like there shouldn't be embroidery on the back
pocket of the pants). And our current general manager picked on people's
shoes, which I've told her that people can't be productive with dress
shoes. It's about "who's the boss" rather than "what's for the best
interest of the company" for them. That's what I called half-ass
management.

>> Yeah, it's nice to do that sometimes, but when you have absolutely no free
>> time to speak of, listen to music while driving is about all you can do.
>> Other free time I just spend it here chatting with you guys, or go to a
>> mall to take my mind off something.
>
> How many hours a week do you work?

Around 34-38 hours. I just got back from work. The shift was 1:00am to
10:00am. I had been assigned to do 4:00am to 1 o'clock in the afternoon,
but they called me last night around 8:00pm and changed my schedule, so
even if I did fall asleep (which I couldn't), I would only have 4 hours of
sleep before work. They treat people like chess pieces, and do what they
want for their own conveniences. Keep in mind this is the company that
keep saying they are social responsible (and they want us to push their
company credit cards like crazy.... I think they have an intersting
opinion on ethics....).

>> I do customer service everyday, and it's so repetitive, it doesn't really
>> use any brain.... Not the level I used to do in school anyways. I miss
>> school somewhat. I feel rather detached. I don't know, I guess I am so
>> used to doing projects and group works and getting the newest information
>> on business, that without such exchanging of information, my life feels
>> quite empty....
>
> I'd miss school a lot more if it wasn't for all the relatively pointless
> exercises they make you do, like assignments that haven't changed for 10
> years. We had a couple of great professors that were constantly updating
> their classes, giving new and interesting assignment questions but most
> were stuck in the same old rut. Of course most of my classmates hated the
> dynamic teachers, preferring the drudgery because they could then just
> copy old assignments from friends.

That's not really an problem for business. We change our textbooks all the
time, because business is always changing so they can't teach people
outdated stuff. I like the fastpace of business. This is especially true
for finance and stuff where reaction time is a factor.

>> And more thanks for providing the exact
>> names of the songs you picked, as that takes a lot of guess work out of
>> picking out the right songs.
>
> I tried to find music from my collection that most accurately reflected
> the songs you gave, which usually means giving a specific song since most
> artists have a wide range of material. If there are any you can't find I'm
> sure I could find a way to get a copy of the song to you (and I wouldn't
> be surprised, since some of them are from old vinyl records).

I thank you very much for your effort. :-)

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous

Ashikaga wrote:

> It's very different from my store though. Despite the stupid management
> stuff, usually our own coworkers are more friendly and sociable.

Ok, then maybe he was just having a bad day :)

> I think you missed the point. It's not about who's work is worse, but I
> think you've looked down on the physical requirement of my work too much.

I've done retail work before, it's not that physically demanding unless
you weren't really used to it. Dealing with customers can be wearying, but
I always enjoyed it face-to-face (over the phone is sometimes a different
matter).

> I've built up muscles and at the same time, lost 20 lbs of weight since I
> worked in Gap. Sometimes it's just plain unpleasantness that get you very
> unmotivated and feel energyless, and you have to do everything with a
> smile and stay polite, even when the customers are behaving badly.

Yes, I'm sure it's not the physical aspects of the job that are dragging
you down, in which case you have a legitimate reason for not wanting to
stress your mind with demanding music (although personally I enjoy
stretching the mind muscles in different ways).

> I think our management simply don't have a lot of management training. I
> have an impression that they have no idea what's morale management
> (actually they do almost everything to make sure people's morale stay
> low...). I don't think they know the basics of modern management either.

Does the Gap hire management from the sales staff? A lot of stores do
that. On one hand they ought to be more sympathetic with the staff having
been one before, but they tend to have less experience as you said.

> but they called me last night around 8:00pm and changed my schedule, so
> even if I did fall asleep (which I couldn't), I would only have 4 hours of
> sleep before work. They treat people like chess pieces, and do what they
> want for their own conveniences.

Surely the schedule change is on a volunteer basis? There must be labour
laws (sorry, "labor" laws in the States) concerning last minute changes as
well as the amount of break between shifts. There certainly are here.

> Keep in mind this is the company that
> keep saying they are social responsible

Wow, a large organization saying and doing two different things?
Impossible! ;)

> (and they want us to push their
> company credit cards like crazy.... I think they have an intersting
> opinion on ethics....).

I think it's natural for a retail store to want to push their brand of
credit - it happens here all the time too.

> That's not really an problem for business. We change our textbooks all
> the time, because business is always changing so they can't teach people
> outdated stuff.

No, textbooks change rapidly so that students have to buy new editions
every year. The only thing that's outdated with business is the names of
the players, for the most part the same fundamental principles have always
applied.

> I like the fastpace of business. This is especially true
> for finance and stuff where reaction time is a factor.

I think a lot of problems exist due to the fast pace of business -
environmental damage, social stresses, excessive waste, etc. It would be
better if everything slowed down.

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 7:49:30 AM

Ashikaga wrote:

>> I think Karen Peris is a lot like Minnie Riperton...
>
> No.... Her voice is whiny. Riperton's is more concise and clean.

I didn't mean an objective comparison, but rather the same subjective
comparison as with Riperton and durians (I should have said Karen Peris is
a lot like durians...)

>> All of the songs you gave are easy-listening type songs...
>
> Well..., I guess we have different definitions....

Would you classify Billy Joel as easy listening?

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:23:29 AM

Eek! Cape Dweller wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
>
>>> I think Karen Peris is a lot like Minnie Riperton...
>>
>> No.... Her voice is whiny. Riperton's is more concise and clean.
>
> I didn't mean an objective comparison, but rather the same subjective
> comparison as with Riperton and durians (I should have said Karen Peris is
> a lot like durians...)

LOL!

>>> All of the songs you gave are easy-listening type songs...
>>
>> Well..., I guess we have different definitions....
>
> Would you classify Billy Joel as easy listening?

The ones I picked are mostly easy listening ones....

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 00:59:43 +0200, Samurai <nospam@dev.nul> wrote:

> Quoth Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com>:
>> Coldplay are nice, but Keane has a few good ones too, so don't be
>> so biased.
>
> I'm one of the few people I know who really doesn't like Coldplay very
> much.

So now you know one more.

pibbur
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 9:28:02 PM

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 07:57:28 +0200, Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net> wrote:

> Optician Dragon wrote:
>
>>> Gentle Giant - "Thank You"
>>>
>> My favorite Gentle Giant song is Advent Of Panurge from the Octopus
>> album.
>> Very Gryphon-like.
>
> I only have the 1 Gentle Giant album, but I'd love to get some more if I
> ever see them. I've heard that "Giant for a Day" is one of their least
> favoured, but I like it.

Well, you have the 2 disc compilation Edge of Twilight, which contains
material from most of their albums except "In a glass House", and
"Freehand" and the later ones (which aren't very good anyway). All these
three should be readily avaliable, since I can get them in Norway.

pibbur
June 10, 2005 9:29:26 PM

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 15:37:25 +0200, Optician Dragon
<DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 04:17:42 -0400, Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net>
> wrote:
>

>> Gentle Giant - "Thank You"
>>
> My favorite Gentle Giant song is Advent Of Panurge from the Octopus
> album. Very Gryphon-like.

I think "On Reflection" from Freehand is a classic. All their vocal
brilliance and their humour.

--
pibbur

June 11, 2005 1:54:51 AM

"Samurai" <nospam@dev.nul> wrote in message
> Quoth Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com>:
> I'm one of the few people I know who really doesn't like Coldplay very
> much. Chris Martin's voice makes him sound like he's constantly
> whining, even when the song in question isn't particularly angst-
> ridden. They just remind me too much of the sort of band people formed
> at university and played in the basement of the student bar.
>
> Clocks, I actually like, I must admit. But it's the only one of theirs
> I can think of offhand. Couldn't even name you any Keane songs --
> shows how much of an impression they made on me. >:)

I love "Clocks" and overall quite liked Coldplay's first two albums,
although I can only take them in small doses. Unless they try something new
though I think that two Coldplay albums is the number I'm perfectly happy
with. I listened to their new one at the CD store recently and it just
sounds soo stale; they made their sound bigger and all awash in grandeur and
loveliness and forgot to write any interesting songs to go with that. Keane
to me sound like an even less interesting and more faceless version of
Coldplay.

- GSD
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 2:09:02 AM

pibbur wrote:

> Well, you have the 2 disc compilation Edge of Twilight, which contains
> material from most of their albums except "In a glass House", and
> "Freehand" and the later ones (which aren't very good anyway). All these
> three should be readily avaliable, since I can get them in Norway.

I don't believe I've ever seen a Gentle Giant cd for sale, but if there
was it was over my budget.

There was a time that I wouldn't buy a cd over $15 (Canadian) when the
retail price was over $20, now I only buy used so my limit is more like
$5. Dollarama sometimes has some interesting finds!

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 2:48:27 AM

"Cape Dweller" <usenet@ciotog.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.06.06.08.17.41.923180@ciotog.net...
> Ashikaga wrote:
>
> > Tori Amos..., her songs don't even make sense!

I'm a huge Tori fan, but I find her lyrics probably the least appealing
aspect of her music. Most of the times they're too stream-of-consciousness
for me and I find lines like "lollipop gestapo" just plain silly. Although
the songs on her debut are remarkably lucid and direct.

Nick Cave IMO writes the most amazing lyrics, although he's admittedly a
very acquired taste. Jarvis Cocker of Pulp is also a very sharp, witty
lyricist.

- GSD
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 2:48:28 AM

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 22:48:27 +1000, "Great Siberian Dragon"
<daria@optushome.com.au> wrote:

>"Cape Dweller" <usenet@ciotog.net> wrote in message
>news:p an.2005.06.06.08.17.41.923180@ciotog.net...
>> Ashikaga wrote:
>>
>> > Tori Amos..., her songs don't even make sense!
>
>I'm a huge Tori fan, but I find her lyrics probably the least appealing
>aspect of her music. Most of the times they're too stream-of-consciousness
>for me and I find lines like "lollipop gestapo" just plain silly. Although
>the songs on her debut are remarkably lucid and direct.

Tori Amos? All I know about her is she did a cover photo where she was
nursing monkies. So that's the only image I get when I hear her name.
Ugh, was that the image she wanted to stick in people's minds?

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 14:48:27 +0200, Great Siberian Dragon
<daria@optushome.com.au> wrote:

> "Cape Dweller" <usenet@ciotog.net> wrote in message
> news:p an.2005.06.06.08.17.41.923180@ciotog.net...
>> Ashikaga wrote:
>>
>> > Tori Amos..., her songs don't even make sense!
>
> I'm a huge Tori fan, but I find her lyrics probably the least appealing
> aspect of her music. Most of the times they're too
> stream-of-consciousness
> for me and I find lines like "lollipop gestapo" just plain silly.
> Although
> the songs on her debut are remarkably lucid and direct.

Yes, she's good. A bit surrealistic, but I like that.

Speaking of lyrics which doesn't make sense:

1. Yes, in their older days wrote lyrics mainly based on the sound of the
words. This is from "Close to the edge":

Sudden call shouldn't take away the startled memory.
All in all, the journey takes you all the way.
As apart from any reality that you've ever seen and known.
Guessing problems only to deceive the mention,
Passing paths that climb halfway into the void.
As we cross from side to side, we hear the total mass retain.

With the music it sounds good, although doesn't make much sense.

2. Then there's Magma who invented their own language (Kobaian). This is
from "Makanik Destruktiw Kommandoh"

Maneh dowe wowo wehritstoh ioss
Wi wi dets funker, dets funker ioss
Wi do ioss
Wi wi bradiaah Slakehndoh

Wi wi uss wi wi wi wi wi uss
Uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu
Wi do wi do wi sun, sun, sun, sun sun
Uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu
Uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu....

Ima suri dondai, ïma suri dondai
Ima suri dondai
Suri dondai
Ima suri dondai, ïma suri dondai
Ima suri dondai
Suri dondai Wi.......
Ima suri dondai, ïma suri dondai

---
Useless information from Pibbur.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 2:48:29 AM

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:49:56 +0200, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 22:48:27 +1000, "Great Siberian Dragon"
> <daria@optushome.com.au> wrote:
>
>> "Cape Dweller" <usenet@ciotog.net> wrote in message
>> news:p an.2005.06.06.08.17.41.923180@ciotog.net...

>> I'm a huge Tori fan, but I find her lyrics probably the least appealing
>> aspect of her music. Most of the times they're too
>> stream-of-consciousness
>> for me and I find lines like "lollipop gestapo" just plain silly.
>> Although
>> the songs on her debut are remarkably lucid and direct.
>
> Tori Amos? All I know about her is she did a cover photo where she was
> nursing monkies. So that's the only image I get when I hear her name.
> Ugh, was that the image she wanted to stick in people's minds?

It was a pig, I think.

pibbur
June 11, 2005 2:48:29 AM

Quoth pibbur <dragon42@nomail.land>:

>"Makanik Destruktiw Kommandoh"

Excellent. Sounds like a slapstick version of the classic Arnie film
with a very clumsy protagonist. :D

\^\^//

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:13:05 GMT, pibbur <dragon42@nomail.land> wrote:

> from "Makanik Destruktiw Kommandoh"
>
>Maneh dowe wowo wehritstoh ioss
>Wi wi dets funker, dets funker ioss
>Wi do ioss
>Wi wi bradiaah Slakehndoh
>
>Wi wi uss wi wi wi wi wi uss
>Uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu
>Wi do wi do wi sun, sun, sun, sun sun
>Uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu
>Uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu uu....
>
>Ima suri dondai, ïma suri dondai
>Ima suri dondai
>Suri dondai
>Ima suri dondai, ïma suri dondai
>Ima suri dondai
>Suri dondai Wi.......
>Ima suri dondai, ïma suri dondai
>
>---
>Useless information from Pibbur.
Or "You Speak My Language" by Morphine:

Kabrula kaysay Brula Amal amala senda Kumahn Brendhaa
Kabrula kaysay Brula Amal amala senda Kumahn Brendhaa
Kabrula kaysay Brula Amal amala senda Kumahn Brendhaa
Kumahn Brendhaa
Kumahn Brendhaa
Kabrula kaysay Brula Amal amala senda Kumahn Brendhaa
Kabrula kaysay Brula Amal amala senda Kumahn Brendhaa
Brendhaa
Kumahn Brendhaa
Oh!
Brendhaa oh ha ha ha
You speak my language
Yeah!
You speak my language
Yes!

-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
-Alfred E. Neumann
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 6:24:44 AM

pibbur wrote:

>> Tori Amos? All I know about her is she did a cover photo where she was
>> nursing monkies. So that's the only image I get when I hear her name.
>> Ugh, was that the image she wanted to stick in people's minds?
>>
> It was a pig, I think.

A piglet, actually.

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 6:26:17 AM

pibbur wrote:

> Speaking of lyrics which doesn't make sense:

Cocteau Twins?

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 6:16:45 AM

Ashikaga wrote:

> I can never respect someone who treat other people like servant, even when
> the person is indeed a servant. I mean, they are only doing their jobs
> and why treat them like "they are suppose to do it?" That's something I
> can't understand, even when I was a child. Maybe some people don't
> believe in karma.

Wow, how did you know she was Hindu?

> I'm a little bit of control freak when it comes to how certain things
> should be arranged, such as the order of music tracks they should be
> played, so no random shuffle unless they are so interchangeable....

I used to only listen to entire albums because they're usually arranged
for one track to follow another, but I've become a lot more relaxed since
I don't really have the time to do that anyway :)

> 254 now.... I bet those four views are from us dragons.... But they seem
> to be nice group of people, but is there any sample music I could listen
> to? I think they just need to find a real sponsor for their talents (and
> some publicity).

I think there are a lot of groups that are a nice bunch of people, but
that doesn't mean the music is any good. Then again, they wouldn't be the
first band to make it on looks alone... Maybe some of the members of the
band really don't want to be involved.

Amazon doesn't have samples... The All Music Guide doesn't have a listing
for them... I could always put a sample up somewhere, if you like.

>> - isn't the Gap really popular?
>
> It is..., in this particular store at least. But I don't think the new
> upper management knows what makes Gap "GAP", and why Gap customers want
> Gap. People come here because it's not Abercrombie & Fitch.

If your store isn't offering what people want, why are so many people
going there?

> But
> sometimes I feel the management people are so into copy other people's
> proven successful styles, we've become a cow-milkering, but not very
> innovative clothier....

Exactly what the masses want.

> Which is why lots of us buy Diesel nowadays, because it doesn't follow
> mainstream fashion trend. (and Gap even have some stuff that mimicks
> Diesel's style...)

Diesel doesn't look much different than the Gap, Old Navy, etc to me.
They're just trying to be more "hip" whereas Old Navy is going after the
retro-dork crowd. Ultimately they look just about the same.

> (and you can just alter the numbers with ease to cater different
> kind of investors, even though there are no fundamental changes in term of
> daily operation).

Not much different from targeted resumes, for example.

> It tells you how incompetant the upper management is. When something
> doesn't work out right, they just replace people instead of figuring out
> where the problem is and solve it.

Well at the recycling company the GMs were quitting, not being fired. I
don't know which is a worse sign...

> A company only needs one of each C-level people (CEO, CFO, COO, etc.,
> plus President and Executive Vice President), and so are most
> upper-management positions (like Comptroller, Marketing Director).

Yes, but a very small company might only need 2 C-level people whereas a
large corporation needs many. I'd classify Regional Managers as
upper-management, so the more locations a company has the more of them are
required.

> Modern management focused on very flat structure, so usually even the
> entry-level finance people report directly to C-level people sometimes
> (depend on the company culture, of course),

.... and obviously the size of the company.

> And that's why company
> intranet and email-based communication really revolutionized how a
> company is run.

Assuming that upper management actually bother reading and responding to
staff e-mails.

> Who would go to work early (and not getting paid) just to check the
> company news from a cashier register (which has a super slow bandwidth)?

When I worked at a paper sheeting company, it was once suggested that I
come in 5 minutes early to start the air compressor. I refused since I
wouldn't be getting paid for it and they didn't bother me again :)

Sometimes you have to stand firm, and if you get fired for standing up for
yourself you should consider it a gift of opportunity to find a better
employer.

> They should at least put some computer terminals in the staff lounge
> (which is awfully crowded already), if they are truly interested in
> getting people to know the company they work for, and what's their
> vision for the season. Of course, I could just imagine how middle
> managers are going to oppose such implementation....

I don't think most retail employees really care what the vision for the
season is anyway - they're just there for the paycheque.

> Since my store is a flagship store, so sometimes we do have people from
> HQ or even investors visit here, and we would do something call a "power
> fill." Basically, it's a supercharged cleaning up thingy, and most
> people hate power fill. Imagine the managers actually would lie to
> associates to make them to come to a power fill....

We had something similar at the recycling company when the backlog of
material would get too great (and the backlog was usually mountainous). Of
course it was on a volunteer basis and so you wouldn't get an entire crew,
and the nature of the work requires a full crew or else production drops
drastically. Plus it was a mixture of shifts so sometimes people from
different shifts didn't work as well together...

> That's the problem with "unskilled" jobs. We have no job security
> because we can be easily replaced.

That's actually not really true, but a stereotype that management likes to
perpetuate so the employees are too scared to be "an issue".

> sometimes I feel women
> have much more choice. Guys can't just say I quit, because we have to
> think about other stuff like financial security....

Wow...

> If I were younger, I would just
> go along with my ideal and say I quit, but I'm aging, and that means I
> have fewer opportunity and options....

Maybe the reason why you have fewer opportunities and options is because
you're willing to compromise your principles for a job.

> I wonder if women nowadays know this thing called love?

I think women tend to be more romantic than men.

> That's not the impression I got from my past experience. Remember I
> took a super radical political class when I was in college? A lot of
> people who are supposedly "proactive" are people who do things because
> they do (or their peer and this case, our instructor, told them it's for
> a "good cause").

I don't think it's fair to say that college students enrolled in a course
for credit are accurate reflections of social activism.

> They rarely ask questions why they do it nor
> understand the cause they are doing for.

That's because they wanted to earn the credit over everything else.

>> You can't? well we better fire you and find someone who can then!
>
> One has to be either very ignorant or very conceited to say that....

Or optimistic!

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
June 13, 2005 12:32:43 AM

Quoth Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net>:
> I had a "friend" like that - she'd litter in a cafeteria because
> it was someones job to clean it up, shove library books back onto
> shelves wherever she pleased (even though they have tables where
> you can put books to be reshelved by staff), etc. I had a hard
> time showing sympathy for her when something didn't turn out
> right.

*nod* I had a former friend like that, so I know what it's like.

\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 12:47:25 AM

Cape Dweller Dragon the True-to-Life Bionic Surgeon of Liberty wrote:
> I had a "friend" like that - she'd litter in a cafeteria because
> it was someones job to clean it up, shove library books back onto
> shelves wherever she pleased (even though they have tables where
> you can put books to be reshelved by staff), etc.

Depending on what you mean by littering that sounds malicious. I mean
just leaving your stuff on the table after you finish eating is pretty
lazy, but then to go to the trouble of dropping it on the floor that
would be mean. Not dumping the stuff in the garbage yourself is to my
mind hard to justify, but makes some sense if you can not easily find
the garbage yourself (my dad tried to do this at the movie theatre
when we went to see Revenge of the Sith).

Putting books randomly back on the shelves is not only Evil but stupid
if you ever want to find the book again. I admit I go against my
libraries' do not reshelve policy (you are supposed to leave them out
for staff to reshelve), but I always make sure I put books back where
they belong in the system (otherwise when I come back later they may
not have been reshelved yet). As far as I can tell a misshelved book
would likely remain lost until the next time the books are moved
because I do not think the library staff bother to systematically
check the ordering of the books.
--
d e+ N- T- Om++ UK!1!2!3!4!56A78!9 u uC uF- uG+ uLB+ uA nC nR nH+ nP
nI+ nPT nS+ nT- y- a26, Captain in the Cinnaguard, Weirdo, Blue Bow

Words to the wise, Samurai <nospam@dev.nul> wrote:

>Quoth Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net>:
>> I had a "friend" like that - she'd litter in a cafeteria because
>> it was someones job to clean it up, shove library books back onto
>> shelves wherever she pleased (even though they have tables where
>> you can put books to be reshelved by staff), etc. I had a hard
>> time showing sympathy for her when something didn't turn out
>> right.
>
>*nod* I had a former friend like that, so I know what it's like.

I hate people who do that. Look, the dustbin is just a few steps
away, move your sorry ass over there?
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 7:40:47 AM

Saint George's Dragon wrote:

> Depending on what you mean by littering that sounds malicious. I mean just
> leaving your stuff on the table after you finish eating is pretty lazy,
> but then to go to the trouble of dropping it on the floor that would be
> mean.

Well, let's say she was eating something where each morsel is individually
wrapped. She the type who would unwrap each piece and drop the wrapper on
the floor.

> Not dumping the stuff in the garbage yourself is to my mind hard to
> justify, but makes some sense if you can not easily find the garbage
> yourself (my dad tried to do this at the movie theatre when we went to see
> Revenge of the Sith).

How did your dad get into the projector room, and then how did he get the
film reel off the projector?

> As far as I can tell a misshelved book would likely remain
> lost until the next time the books are moved because I do not think the
> library staff bother to systematically check the ordering of the books.

Unless someone virtuous notices that there's a misshelved book and
corrects the error, which I've known some people to do.

--
!