Freak out, the Apple Mac is DEAD!

I can't think of a clever way to put this.. I don't know what to
say.. it's just not believeable..

http://www4.macnn.com/macnn/wwdc/05/

Desktop architectures.. there can be only one!

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org

    Eek! "J. P. Morris" wrote:
    > I can't think of a clever way to put this.. I don't know what to
    > say.. it's just not believeable..
    >
    > http://www4.macnn.com/macnn/wwdc/05/
    >
    > Desktop architectures.. there can be only one!

    Not news.... I heard the announcement a few days ago. It's not surprising
    either. Ever since Apple said they have problems with PowerPC's price and
    production level, it's only expected that Job will do something to burn the
    PowerPC partnership.

    It's said that Apple will be the next Microsoft. And you know we are not
    talking about the growth part (alone) but also the evil side of it.

    --
    Ashikaga a27
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Ashikaga wrote:

    > Eek! "J. P. Morris" wrote:
    >> I can't think of a clever way to put this.. I don't know what to
    >> say.. it's just not believeable..
    >>
    >> http://www4.macnn.com/macnn/wwdc/05/
    >>
    >> Desktop architectures.. there can be only one!
    >
    > Not news.... I heard the announcement a few days ago.

    Not the same thing. The announcement a few days ago was that they would
    be using Intel processors. Most people, including me, assumed that they
    would still be PPC-compatible.

    > It's not surprising either. Ever since Apple said they have
    > problems with PowerPC's price and production level, it's only expected
    > that Job will do something to burn the PowerPC partnership.

    Well it surprised the hell out of me. I was thinking of getting a Mac,
    now I'm not so sure. Why bother learning to code for that OS/arch when
    they could well migrate to yet another one in 5 years time?

    > It's said that Apple will be the next Microsoft. And you know we are not
    > talking about the growth part (alone) but also the evil side of it.

    --
    JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
    Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org
    Reign of the Just - An Ultima clone http://rotj.it-he.org
    d+++ e+ N+ T++ Om U1234!56!7'!S'!8!9!KAW u++ uC+++ uF+++ uG---- uLB----
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Quoth Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com>:
    > Eek! "J. P. Morris" wrote:
    >> http://www4.macnn.com/macnn/wwdc/05/
    >> Desktop architectures.. there can be only one!
    >
    > Not news.... I heard the announcement a few days ago.

    It's still news to those of us who didn't, though.

    > It's not surprising either. Ever since Apple said they
    > have problems withPowerPC's price and production level,
    > it's only expected that Job will do something to burn
    > the PowerPC partnership.

    I'd rather assumed the G6 would be Cell-based, actually.

    > It's said that Apple will be the next Microsoft. And you know we
    > are not talking about the growth part (alone) but also the evil
    > side of it.

    No chance. Apple simply doesn't have the market penetration to get
    anywhere near the sort of corporate power Microsoft can exercise.
    Given that MacOS X is based on an open architecture (FreeBSD) anyway,
    there's little chance it will become a monopoly.

    Of course, I'll happily eat my apple if I'm wrong. Mmm, braeburn!
    :9

    \^\^//
    ,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
    | \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
    \ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
    \ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
    ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Words to the wise, "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote:

    >I can't think of a clever way to put this.. I don't know what to
    >say.. it's just not believeable..
    >
    >http://www4.macnn.com/macnn/wwdc/05/
    >

    >Desktop architectures.. there can be only one!

    Bad news actually.

    You need competition. And besides, you need additional architectures.

    Besides, if I had the money, I would get an Opteron any day now,
    instead of anything else.

    *eyes towards

    http://www.sun.com/desktop/workstation/w2100z/index.jsp

    *
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Eek! "J. P. Morris" wrote:
    > Ashikaga wrote:
    <snip>
    >> It's not surprising either. Ever since Apple said they have
    >> problems with PowerPC's price and production level, it's only expected
    >> that Job will do something to burn the PowerPC partnership.
    >
    > Well it surprised the hell out of me. I was thinking of getting a Mac,
    > now I'm not so sure. Why bother learning to code for that OS/arch when
    > they could well migrate to yet another one in 5 years time?

    It's embedded in Job's gene. He has a reputation to burn anyone in his
    path without concerning other people's interests (including his own
    supporters). So it's not really a surprise for me.

    --
    Ashikaga a27
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Eek! Samurai wrote:
    > Quoth Ashikaga:
    >> Eek! "J. P. Morris" wrote:
    >>> http://www4.macnn.com/macnn/wwdc/05/
    >>> Desktop architectures.. there can be only one!
    >>
    >> Not news.... I heard the announcement a few days ago.
    >
    > It's still news to those of us who didn't, though.

    True. I didn't mean to be argumentative.

    <snip>
    >> It's said that Apple will be the next Microsoft. And you know we
    >> are not talking about the growth part (alone) but also the evil
    >> side of it.
    >
    > No chance. Apple simply doesn't have the market penetration to get
    > anywhere near the sort of corporate power Microsoft can exercise.
    > Given that MacOS X is based on an open architecture (FreeBSD) anyway,
    > there's little chance it will become a monopoly.
    >
    > Of course, I'll happily eat my apple if I'm wrong. Mmm, braeburn!
    >:9

    No one can predict the future. So all those analysts' predictions are all
    merely speculations.

    --
    Ashikaga a27
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    > I'd rather assumed the G6 would be Cell-based, actually.

    Laptops are the big thing right now. Personally, I think they're
    switching over to get access to Intel's line of mobile CPUs.

    --
    /\_./b__ _O_ <====o Lost Dragon o====> _|_ __d\._/\
    (/^/(_^^' | I like people - I just can't eat a whole one | `^^_)\^\)

    On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 21:58:37 +0200, J. P. Morris <jpm@it-he.org> wrote:

    > I can't think of a clever way to put this.. I don't know what to
    > say.. it's just not believeable..
    >
    > http://www4.macnn.com/macnn/wwdc/05/

    And I heard they would be calling the next versio of the OS "DOS X"

    * evil grin *

    pibbur
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Samurai wrote:

    > Of course, I'll happily eat my apple if I'm wrong. Mmm, braeburn! :9

    I've been partial to Crispin lately, having been raised almost exclusively
    on Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, McIntosh and Granny Smith. Gala
    and Fuji are also quite nice. I think this year I'm going to try to try
    many other varieties as well. Biodiversity!

    --
    Cape Dweller Dragon
    Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 03:17:44 -0400, Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net>
    wrote:

    >Samurai wrote:
    >
    >> Of course, I'll happily eat my apple if I'm wrong. Mmm, braeburn! :9
    >
    >I've been partial to Crispin lately, having been raised almost exclusively
    >on Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, McIntosh and Granny Smith. Gala
    >and Fuji are also quite nice. I think this year I'm going to try to try
    >many other varieties as well. Biodiversity!
    If you want to bake a pie, my favorite is Rome.
    -=UDIC=-
    Optician Dragon
    "Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
    -Alfred E. Neumann
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Samurai wrote:

    > I'd rather assumed the G6 would be Cell-based, actually.

    I haven't looked at this very much, but AFAIK the Cell consists
    of 7 vector processing units, controlled by a single PPC-derived core.
    IIRC the core isn't very good since its main purpose is to control and
    feed the VPUs.

    As such it is good for dedicated math-intensive tasks that can be easily
    parallelised, such as rendering audio or video, or certain kinds of
    number-crunching, but is not really suitable as a general-purpose
    microprocessor.

    I could be wrong, of course.

    --
    JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
    Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org
    Reign of the Just - An Ultima clone http://rotj.it-he.org
    d+++ e+ N+ T++ Om U1234!56!7'!S'!8!9!KAW u++ uC+++ uF+++ uG---- uLB----
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Claus Dragon wrote:

    > Words to the wise, "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote:
    >
    >>I can't think of a clever way to put this.. I don't know what to
    >>say.. it's just not believeable..
    >>
    >>http://www4.macnn.com/macnn/wwdc/05/
    >>

    >>Desktop architectures.. there can be only one!
    >
    > Bad news actually.
    >
    > You need competition. And besides, you need additional architectures.

    Oh yes. I didn't mean it in a _good_ way.

    --
    JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
    Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org
    Reign of the Just - An Ultima clone http://rotj.it-he.org
    d+++ e+ N+ T++ Om U1234!56!7'!S'!8!9!KAW u++ uC+++ uF+++ uG---- uLB----
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Words to the wise, Lost Dragon <kulhain@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >> I'd rather assumed the G6 would be Cell-based, actually.
    >
    >Laptops are the big thing right now. Personally, I think they're
    >switching over to get access to Intel's line of mobile CPUs.

    Yeah, that is very likely the case. Though to me its a bit sad that
    the transmeta cpus never got as much attention as they should.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Claus Dragon wrote:

    > Words to the wise, Lost Dragon <kulhain@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>> I'd rather assumed the G6 would be Cell-based, actually.
    >>
    >>Laptops are the big thing right now. Personally, I think they're
    >>switching over to get access to Intel's line of mobile CPUs.
    >
    > Yeah, that is very likely the case. Though to me its a bit sad that
    > the transmeta cpus never got as much attention as they should.

    Transmeta's dead too. It may even have happened on the same day..

    --
    JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
    Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org
    Reign of the Just - An Ultima clone http://rotj.it-he.org
    d+++ e+ N+ T++ Om U1234!56!7'!S'!8!9!KAW u++ uC+++ uF+++ uG---- uLB----
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Quoth Lost Dragon <kulhain@yahoo.com>:
    >> I'd rather assumed the G6 would be Cell-based, actually.
    >
    > Laptops are the big thing right now. Personally, I think they're
    > switching over to get access to Intel's line of mobile CPUs.

    That could well be the case -- though presumably if they run on Intel
    architecture, they'll work on AMD with only minimal tweaking, too.
    That might be a better bet for Apple, if they want to maintain their
    image as the corporate outsider rather than The Establishment.

    \^\^//
    ,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
    | \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
    \ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
    \ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
    ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Quoth Optician Dragon <DragonLensman1@verizon.net>:
    > Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net> wrote:
    >>I've been partial to Crispin lately, having been raised almost
    >>exclusively on Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, McIntosh and
    >>Granny Smith.

    French apples. Eugh. (McIntosh possibly excepted -- I've never had
    one, so I don't know what they're like or where they come from.)

    The Golden Delicious is a thing of particular horror. Too sweet, yet
    little other flavour and with a texture resembling cotton wool.

    >>Gala and Fuji are also quite nice.

    I like Gala pears, but I've never tried a Gala apple. Or Fuji, for
    that matter. Clearly, our stores have different sources, not
    entirely surprisingly. :)

    >>I think this year I'm going to try to try many other varieties as
    >>well. Biodiversity!

    (:

    > If you want to bake a pie, my favorite is Rome.

    Nah. For cooking, it's Bramleys all the way.

    \^\^//
    ,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
    | \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
    \ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
    \ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
    ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Words to the wise, "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote:

    >>>Laptops are the big thing right now. Personally, I think they're
    >>>switching over to get access to Intel's line of mobile CPUs.
    >>
    >> Yeah, that is very likely the case. Though to me its a bit sad that
    >> the transmeta cpus never got as much attention as they should.
    >
    >Transmeta's dead too. It may even have happened on the same day..

    I quote:

    <quote>
    SANTA CLARA, CA. - June 1, 2005 - Transmeta Corporation (NASDAQ:
    TMTA), the leader in efficient computing technologies, today announced
    that the Nasdaq Stock Market has restored the Company's trading symbol
    to TMTA as of June 1, 2005. Transmeta has received written
    confirmation from Nasdaq that the Company is back in compliance with
    Nasdaq Marketplace Rule 4310© based upon the Company's filing of its
    Form 10-Q for the quarter ended March 31, 2005 with the Securities and
    Exchange Commission on May 25, 2005.
    </quote>

    I dont know, that doesnt sound like dead to me? But still, I am
    hopeful that some CPU architectures will survive, x86 is not what it
    appears to be, in my opinion of course.
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Eek! Samurai wrote:
    > Quoth Optician Dragon:
    <snip>
    >>>Gala and Fuji are also quite nice.
    >
    > I like Gala pears, but I've never tried a Gala apple. Or Fuji, for
    > that matter. Clearly, our stores have different sources, not
    > entirely surprisingly. :)

    Gala is from Kiwiland, so it's naturally nice. Fuji is very good because
    the peel is very aromatic. I can't eat any apple that's not aromatic. But
    Fuji is such a big general category though. It seems all the Japanese
    apples are called Fuji in the market, but they can vary quite differently
    in term of size and color of the peel (but they are all aromatic).

    --
    Ashikaga a27
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Eek! Claus Dragon wrote:
    > Words to the wise, "J. P. Morris" wrote:
    <snip>
    >>Transmeta's dead too. It may even have happened on the same day..
    >
    > I quote:
    >
    > <quote>
    > SANTA CLARA, CA. - June 1, 2005 - Transmeta Corporation (NASDAQ:
    > TMTA), the leader in efficient computing technologies, today announced
    > that the Nasdaq Stock Market has restored the Company's trading symbol
    > to TMTA as of June 1, 2005. Transmeta has received written
    > confirmation from Nasdaq that the Company is back in compliance with
    > Nasdaq Marketplace Rule 4310© based upon the Company's filing of its
    > Form 10-Q for the quarter ended March 31, 2005 with the Securities and
    > Exchange Commission on May 25, 2005.
    > </quote>
    >
    > I dont know, that doesnt sound like dead to me? But still, I am
    > hopeful that some CPU architectures will survive, x86 is not what it
    > appears to be, in my opinion of course.

    That doesn't mean they are dead. It's just that for once, their symbol has
    been taken off from the stockmarket for various reasons. It can because
    they didn't follow NASDAQ's rules or their sales figure fall below certain
    standard. It could also be their accounting practice is under
    investigation.

    If a company filed their quarterly report late, they would be at risk of
    being taken off the market or give a special treatment to their ticker
    symbol, like adds an extra "X" to the end of their ticker symbol. (so TMTA
    would become TMTAX if that's the case)

    --
    Ashikaga a27
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Samurai wrote:

    > French apples. Eugh. (McIntosh possibly excepted -- I've never had one,
    > so I don't know what they're like or where they come from.)

    They were discovered by a Scottish immigrant to Canada on a single tree,
    and are a huge apple crop now (I think over 2/3 of Vermont's harvest is
    McIntosh). I'm pretty sure they've been brought to the UK...

    Anyway, they're sweet and somewhat tart but I find the flesh too soft for
    eating fresh (I'm partial to crispness), excellent for baking.

    > The Golden Delicious is a thing of particular horror. Too sweet, yet
    > little other flavour and with a texture resembling cotton wool.

    I think I liked Golden Delicious when I was young, but then one year I
    realised how bad they really were and haven't had one since.

    > I like Gala pears, but I've never tried a Gala apple. Or Fuji, for that
    > matter. Clearly, our stores have different sources, not entirely
    > surprisingly. :)

    Yes, I don't think I've ever seen Braeburn sold in a standard grocery
    store, let alone at an orchard fruit stand. I believe they're very similar
    to McIntosh, from what I've read.

    >> If you want to bake a pie, my favorite is Rome.

    I don't think I've ever seen a Rome apple for sale either...

    --
    Cape Dweller Dragon
    Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Words to the wise, Samurai <nospam@dev.nul> wrote:

    >>>I've been partial to Crispin lately, having been raised almost
    >>>exclusively on Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, McIntosh and
    >>>Granny Smith.
    >
    >French apples. Eugh. (McIntosh possibly excepted -- I've never had
    >one, so I don't know what they're like or where they come from.)
    >
    >The Golden Delicious is a thing of particular horror. Too sweet, yet
    >little other flavour and with a texture resembling cotton wool.

    Hey, I looooove golden delicious.
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Claus Dragon wrote:

    >>>Yeah, that is very likely the case. Though to me its a bit sad that
    >>>the transmeta cpus never got as much attention as they should.
    >>
    >>Transmeta's dead too. It may even have happened on the same day..
    >

    > I dont know, that doesnt sound like dead to me? But still, I am
    > hopeful that some CPU architectures will survive, x86 is not what it
    > appears to be, in my opinion of course.

    I think you could be right there. I can't now find an original source
    article stating an immediate death.

    --
    JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
    Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org
    Developing a U6/U7 clone http://ire.it-he.org
    d+++ e+ N+ T++ Om U1234!56!7'!S'!8!9!KA u++ uC+++ uF+++ uG---- uLB----
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Quoth Claus Dragon <claus@ultima-dragons.org>:
    > Hey, I looooove golden delicious.

    Then you are an apple philistine, sir. :)

    \^\^//
    ,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
    | \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
    \ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Words to the wise, Samurai <nospam@dev.nul> wrote:

    >Quoth Claus Dragon <claus@ultima-dragons.org>:
    >> Hey, I looooove golden delicious.
    >
    >Then you are an apple philistine, sir. :)

    Aya, guvnr.

Games Apple Macintosh Video Games Product