Sign in with
Your question

Headphone/Speaker annoyances

Last response: in Components
January 13, 2004 6:21:32 PM

I use both speakers and headphones on my PC frequently, but is getting pretty annoyed about plugging jacks in and out when switching. Anybody has a solution for this?

My soundcard is a 5.1 Soundblaster live. Is it possible to get identical sound out to both front and rear speakers? I was thinking about plugging the headphones into the jack for the rearspeakers, but am at a loss on how to make them play.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
January 13, 2004 11:43:58 PM

Just get a y-splitter. Fronts to your speakers, fronts to your headphones.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.
January 14, 2004 7:02:53 PM

that would still have sound coming out of the normal speakers. could get a 1/8" extension cable to keep right on top of the desk. Just swap what ever connection you want to use.
Related resources
January 14, 2004 10:37:29 PM

So turn the volume on those down... Or click the handy dandy little power button :) 

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.
January 15, 2004 6:32:34 AM

Thanks for the input. A Y-splitter can do the trick, but can I overload the soundcard output by putting two loads on one output? I would like to find a software solution, so I can keep the headphones and speakers in separate jacks.

Hmm. Now that I think of it. Perhaps I just should get a new sound card with some front panel box with headphone connectors. Any suggestions for a decent card?

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
January 16, 2004 5:39:59 PM

Audigy 2 with the 5 1/4 bay extention. Not sure if any other card has one.

As far as a software solutions? not sure.
January 17, 2004 11:00:03 AM

Funny you mention that card. That's exactly the card I want. THG reviewed it a while back. The problem is I can't find any shop in DK that has it. They have all kinds of variants 'pro', 'ex' etc. with an external box. I don't wan't an external box. Sigh...

Does anybody know of any alternative?

January 18, 2004 2:10:48 AM

A word of warning about Creative's 5.25" internal breakout box. If you want to use it for recording it's not as quiet as external boxes due to all the EM noise inside the case. I've recorded guitar and bass tracks through the mic input and there is audible hiss on the tracks. Other than that it works great. I have one (an Audigy II Platinum) and I use it for just what you describe.
January 18, 2004 6:37:02 AM

Terratec DMX-6Fire 24/96.
January 18, 2004 3:43:54 PM

It won't overload. I've done it plenty of times.

What I have is the digital out on my card going to my HT amp which powers my speakers. When I want to use headphones, I plug them into my amp which is on my desk, and that automatically cuts power to the speakers.

!