Best home audio for the money....

Last response: in Home Audio
May 18, 2005 4:57:09 AM

Lets say you have $1000 and you are trying to put together a decent home
audio system. You can purchase the entire set up in a box, mix and match
speakers and receiver, or build the cabinets and use individual speakers
and do your own wiring. You have the ability to shop online or through
retail establishments. What would you do???? What's the best sound for
the money????? Sure the more money.. the better sound, but how do you
create an audiophile home audio system, 6.1 or better, and still stay
within a budget? I want to hear your opinions on the matter, so SPEAK
UP!!!!

--
Jeremys4runner

More about : home audio money

May 19, 2005 4:03:03 AM

Jeremys4runner wrote:

> Lets say you have $1000 and you are trying to put together a decent home
> audio system. You can purchase the entire set up in a box, mix and match
> speakers and receiver, or build the cabinets and use individual speakers
> and do your own wiring. You have the ability to shop online or through
> retail establishments. What would you do???? What's the best sound for
> the money????? Sure the more money.. the better sound, but how do you
> create an audiophile home audio system, 6.1 or better, and still stay
> within a budget? I want to hear your opinions on the matter, so SPEAK
> UP!!!!

My recommendation is to buy an inexpensive receiver ($250 or less), a
DVD player ($80 or less) and spend $670 on speakers. You are not going
to get very accurate speakers for that little money, but at least you
are spending your money where it made the most difference. Oh, get 14-ga
speaker cables from Home Depot. The interconnect cables that come with
the DVD player will be just fine.

You probably would get best prices for the DVD player and the receiver
online.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 4:03:35 AM

Jeremys4runner wrote:
> Lets say you have $1000 and you are trying to put together a decent home
> audio system.

Your budget figure is pretty important. With careful spending, you can
do a lot more with even $1400 than $1000, but if $1000 is what you want
to do, then here's my own suggestion.

If you are willing to forego FM (which isn't a bad idea in this day and
age of Internet Radio), you might consider a classic integrated amp.
I saw a Fisher X100 today for $250 on Craigslist at:

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/ele/72733265.html

CD players can be had for very cheap. $100 or less.

With a $1000 limit, I'd recommend staying out of vinyl just because
any turntable you'd really want would cost you a good $300 to start.

Since you say you can build your own loudspeakers, that's precisely
what you should do. Take the balance of your money and go to
Madisound at:

http://www.madisound.com/

Russ
May 19, 2005 4:04:52 AM

Jeremys4runner wrote:
> Lets say you have $1000 and you are trying to put together a decent
home
> audio system. You can purchase the entire set up in a box, mix and
match
> speakers and receiver, or build the cabinets and use individual
speakers
> and do your own wiring. You have the ability to shop online or
through
> retail establishments. What would you do???? What's the best sound
for
> the money????? Sure the more money.. the better sound, but how do you
> create an audiophile home audio system, 6.1 or better, and still stay
> within a budget?

You don't. What you do is to start with something less ambitious, and
then expand/upgrade as finances permit. So think in terms of a 2.1
system, with more channels added later. The idea is to buy a good basic
receiver and player that'll let you concentrate future spending on more
and better speakers. Some guidelines:

RECEIVER: Lots to choose from in the $300-400 range. Find one with
enough features to keep you happy for a good long while, so that the
next few rounds of spending can go into speakers.

DVD PLAYER: Cheap out. They may not all sound the same, but they're
damned close. Panasonic wins the CU reliability sweepstakes, so that's
the brand I'd go with. A basic one is $80. You could spring for a
universal, which plays SACD and DVD-A, but there's so little software
you may not feel the need.

SPEAKERS: With $500-600 to spend here, you're looking at something on
the order of a pair of Paradigm Atoms or Titans and one of their
smaller subs. When you can afford more speakers, you can get better
ones and move the little guys to the rear. At some point, you'll want
to replace the sub with something bigger. But other than that, you're
buying keepers.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 4:07:07 AM

"Jeremys4runner" <Jeremys4runner.1p5mpn@audiobanter.com> wrote in message
news:D 6e3t502i09@news2.newsguy.com...
> Lets say you have $1000 and you are trying to put together a decent home
> audio system. You can purchase the entire set up in a box, mix and match
> speakers and receiver, or build the cabinets and use individual speakers
> and do your own wiring. You have the ability to shop online or through
> retail establishments. What would you do???? What's the best sound for
> the money????? Sure the more money.. the better sound, but how do you
> create an audiophile home audio system, 6.1 or better, and still stay
> within a budget? I want to hear your opinions on the matter, so SPEAK
> UP!!!!

I had to do something very similar, except it was many years ago, it was a
stereo system, and the price limit was $800. But for that $800 the system
had to be able to play AM/FM radio and anything in my collection of
software, including LP's, CD's and cassette tapes that used any of several
noise reduction schemes. I could also add $300 every year thereafter. It
was possible to do this--and do it very well--by careful shopping and a bit
of luck finding used equipment.

In your case you need 6.1 channels, so your solution will be entirely
different and more nearly like a home theater system. If you would list for
us what your system has to do and what software it has to play, I'm sure we
can give you excellent sound and stay within your budget.

Norm Strong
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 4:07:38 AM

Jeremys4runner <Jeremys4runner.1p5mpn@audiobanter.com> wrote:
> Lets say you have $1000 and you are trying to put together a decent home
> audio system. You can purchase the entire set up in a box,

Those usually have somewhat weak speakers.

> mix and match speakers and receiver,

Receiver: something like a Pioneer VSX-515-K
$175.00 at http://www.aadeals.com/detail.asp?itemid=5935

There are, of course, many receivers with similar characteristics.
I am mentioning the Pioneer because it is quite cheap

Subwoofer: Yamaha SW-315
$183.94 at http://www.simplycheap.com/yamasw-315.html

There are also a lot of subwoofers. I mention this one, because it
is the one I have, and it also inexpensive.

In speakers there are many options (B&W, Wharfedale, etc.) but to
fit a $1000 budget, it gets a bit difficult. I searched for Infinity:

One center speaker: Infinity BETA C250 2-Way $139.00 at:
http://www.fotoconnection.com/vi-13685________Infinity-...

so far: $175.00 + $183.94 + $139.00 = $497.94

3 pairs of bookshelf speakers: Infinity BETA 20 2-Way

3 * $235.00 = $705 at:
http://www.fotoconnection.com/vi-13683________Infinity-...

$497.94 + $705 = $1202.94

So, it is a bit above your budget. Replacing the Beta 20s by Beta 10s

http://www.fotoconnection.com/vi-13657________Infinity-...
3 * $199.00 = $597 . $497.94 + $597 = 1094.94

Still a bit over $1000. You might have to go to Infinity Primus:

Infinity Primus 160 2-Way 6-1/2" Bookshelf Loudspeaker (Pair) $145.99
http://www.fotoconnection.com/vi-13834________Infinity-...

Infinity Primus C25 2-Way Dual 5-1/4" Center Channel Loudspeaker $99.99
http://www.fotoconnection.com/vi-13837________Infinity-...

$175.00 + $183.94 + $99.99 + 3 * $145.99 = $896.9

--
http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/

..pt is Portugal| `Whom the gods love die young'-Menander (342-292 BC)
Europe | Villeneuve 50-82, Toivonen 56-86, Senna 60-94
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 4:25:17 AM

Chung wrote:

> Jeremys4runner wrote:
>
>> Lets say you have $1000 and you are trying to put together a decent home
>> audio system. You can purchase the entire set up in a box, mix and match
>> speakers and receiver, or build the cabinets and use individual speakers
>> and do your own wiring.

Building your own speakers would probably be the most cost-effective
at this price-range. Several companies well plans and/or kits. Not
DIY kits, but real plans or kits of their existing line(s), just without
the cabinet.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 4:25:44 AM

Jeremys4runner writes:
> Lets say you have $1000 and you are trying to put together a decent home
> audio system. You can purchase the entire set up in a box, mix and match
> speakers and receiver, or build the cabinets and use individual speakers
> and do your own wiring. You have the ability to shop online or through
> retail establishments. What would you do???? What's the best sound for
> the money????? Sure the more money.. the better sound, but how do you
> create an audiophile home audio system,

OK, this is a tight budget, but I know what I'd do.

A pair of powered mini-monitors can be had new for about $700, and a
decent CD player with a volume control can be had for say $200. I
would spend the rest of the money on speaker stands.

> 6.1 or better, and still stay within a budget? I want to hear your
> opinions on the matter, so SPEAK UP!!!!

6.1 ? For $1000 ? I have no idea.

Andrew.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 12:57:39 AM

Jeremys4runner Wrote:
> Lets say you have $1000 and you are trying to put together a decent
> home
> audio system. You can purchase the entire set up in a box, mix and
> match
> speakers and receiver, or build the cabinets and use individual
> speakers
> and do your own wiring. You have the ability to shop online or
> through
> retail establishments. What would you do???? What's the best sound for
> the money????? Sure the more money.. the better sound, but how do you
> create an audiophile home audio system, 6.1 or better, and still stay
> within a budget? I want to hear your opinions on the matter, so SPEAK
> UP!!!!
>

> --
> Jeremys4runner

The prevailing wisdom when on a tight budget is to spend the majority
of it on speakers and then look at your electronics. For speakers, I
would look at brands like Paradigm, B&W, KEF, Axiom, PSB, and the
likes. On the electronics end, one word: NAD. And go generic w/cabling:
12 or 16 gauge speaker and generic interconnects.

--
Bojack
!