What Ultima to Play Next?

I need to decide which Ultima I should replay. I finished UW2 in
about a week of playing all day; something I can finish that quickly
is ideal since I have another week at home coming up. Here are my
possibilities so far:

Ultima 3: Never finished it due to the silliness of game mechanics
saving whenever you enter town, die, etc. Also, PC version has no
music and I don't feel like emulating. There was a Windows version,
but I'm unsure of its status.

Ultima 5: Never finished it or even got very far. I dislike not
having multiple save slots, and the combat really drove me up the
wall. But maybe I'd enjoy it more now. Especially if the music patch
thingies work.

Ultima 6: Haven't played it through since 1995 or so. It's fun, not
overly hard, and not buried in combat. Seems like it's the leader
right now. Does it still function in XP?

Ultima 7: I kinda overplayed it back in the day; I remember where
everything is too well. Maybe when I have forgotten more it would be
fun.

Serpent Isle: Same deal as Ultima 7, but worse, because I have played
it through several times. Plus there's an awful lot of potential plot
breaking bugs :-/

Ultima 8: It's not very fun, but in retorspect it could have been a
lot worse. I might try it again. I remember it being fairly tedious
though.

Ultima 9: I lost the CD 6 years ago and I still haven't replaced it
:p That says how much value I place on the game, I guess. I'd enjoy
playing it with the modified dialogue, though.

My last attempt to play Martian Dreams was a failure because a bug
broke the game towards the VERY VERY end and I was quite upset :-( I
am loathe to try it again. Savage Empire I played years ago, and it
was fun but not that fun...especially the very end. The earlier games
are frankly too easy; I can probably finish Ultima 1 and Ultima 2 in a
several hours, LOL, and Ultima 4 is no fun anymore since I kinda
remember where everything is, and thus all that's left is to kill
monsters incessantly :p

I'm not even gonna contemplate ROV or Mr. Drash.

Argh, the decision is tough to make!

-Ophidian

Zac Bond wrote:
> I need to decide which Ultima I should replay. I finished UW2 in
> about a week of playing all day; something I can finish that quickly
> is ideal since I have another week at home coming up. Here are my
> possibilities so far:

> Ultima 3: Never finished it due to the silliness of game mechanics
> saving whenever you enter town, die, etc. Also, PC version has no
> music and I don't feel like emulating. There was a Windows version,
> but I'm unsure of its status.

I _think_ there's a patch out that upgrades the graphics and returns the
music. I think. It's been a while.

> Ultima 5: Never finished it or even got very far. I dislike not
> having multiple save slots, and the combat really drove me up the
> wall. But maybe I'd enjoy it more now. Especially if the music patch
> thingies work.

Music patch thingie works just fine. I'll put in a serious nod for this
one, though your dislike of the combat is a serious issue given the
amount of it.

> Ultima 6: Haven't played it through since 1995 or so. It's fun, not
> overly hard, and not buried in combat. Seems like it's the leader
> right now. Does it still function in XP?

Haven't tried it in XP, so can't fairly comment.

> Ultima 7: I kinda overplayed it back in the day; I remember where
> everything is too well. Maybe when I have forgotten more it would be
> fun.
>
> Serpent Isle: Same deal as Ultima 7, but worse, because I have played
> it through several times. Plus there's an awful lot of potential plot
> breaking bugs :-/

Play Serpent Isle using Doug the Eagle as your patron saint.

> Ultima 8: It's not very fun, but in retorspect it could have been a
> lot worse. I might try it again. I remember it being fairly tedious
> though.

Guh.

> Ultima 9: I lost the CD 6 years ago and I still haven't replaced it
> :p That says how much value I place on the game, I guess. I'd enjoy
> playing it with the modified dialogue, though.

> My last attempt to play Martian Dreams was a failure because a bug
> broke the game towards the VERY VERY end and I was quite upset :-( I
> am loathe to try it again. Savage Empire I played years ago, and it
> was fun but not that fun...especially the very end. The earlier games
> are frankly too easy; I can probably finish Ultima 1 and Ultima 2 in a
> several hours, LOL, and Ultima 4 is no fun anymore since I kinda
> remember where everything is, and thus all that's left is to kill
> monsters incessantly :p

Savage Empire has some neat coolness to it. Takes some time to retrain
your eyes to the not-quite U6 world they present.

Zac Bond wrote:

> Ultima 5: Never finished it or even got very far. I dislike not having
> multiple save slots, and the combat really drove me up the wall. But
> maybe I'd enjoy it more now. Especially if the music patch thingies work.

I don't think I could play U5 through now, because of the sheer volume of
tedious combat required. The plot is great though, and since you haven't
finished it I'd recommend it.

> Ultima 6: Haven't played it through since 1995 or so. It's fun, not
> overly hard, and not buried in combat. Seems like it's the leader right
> now. Does it still function in XP?

Works good with DOSBox.

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.

wesley

"Zac Bond" <zwb2@cwru.edu> wrote in message
>I need to decide which Ultima I should replay. I finished UW2 in about a
>week of playing all day; something I can finish that quickly is ideal since
>I have another week at home coming up. Here are my possibilities so far:
>
> Ultima 3: Never finished it due to the silliness of game mechanics saving
> whenever you enter town, die, etc. Also, PC version has no music and I
> don't feel like emulating. There was a Windows version, but I'm unsure of
> its status.
>
> Ultima 5: Never finished it or even got very far. I dislike not having
> multiple save slots, and the combat really drove me up the wall. But
> maybe I'd enjoy it more now. Especially if the music patch thingies work.
>
> Ultima 6: Haven't played it through since 1995 or so. It's fun, not
> overly hard, and not buried in combat. Seems like it's the leader right
> now. Does it still function in XP?
>
> Ultima 7: I kinda overplayed it back in the day; I remember where
> everything is too well. Maybe when I have forgotten more it would be fun.
>
> Serpent Isle: Same deal as Ultima 7, but worse, because I have played it
> through several times. Plus there's an awful lot of potential plot
> breaking bugs :-/
>
> Ultima 8: It's not very fun, but in retorspect it could have been a lot
> worse. I might try it again. I remember it being fairly tedious though.
>
> Ultima 9: I lost the CD 6 years ago and I still haven't replaced it :p
> That says how much value I place on the game, I guess. I'd enjoy playing
> it with the modified dialogue, though.
>
> My last attempt to play Martian Dreams was a failure because a bug broke
> the game towards the VERY VERY end and I was quite upset :-( I am loathe
> to try it again. Savage Empire I played years ago, and it was fun but not
> that fun...especially the very end. The earlier games are frankly too
> easy; I can probably finish Ultima 1 and Ultima 2 in a several hours, LOL,
> and Ultima 4 is no fun anymore since I kinda remember where everything is,
> and thus all that's left is to kill monsters incessantly :p
>
> I'm not even gonna contemplate ROV or Mr. Drash.
>
> Argh, the decision is tough to make!
>
> -Ophidian

Cool

I'm very keen to complete Martian Dreams last time about 10 years ago I
complete about 75% but was stuck because don't know what to do next I wander
around over and over....it was BUG that insane man I forgot his name anyway
( don't tell me ) I HATE spoiler :) he suppose to answer me....about LEN I
think :)

Ultima 4 is still mt favourite all the time even all the time of PC games
the problem is I still remember like yesterday I still remember where to go
in the dungeon LOL!

I love Savage Empire and U6

Play SI many times only from 5 mins....never further yet LOL too exhaust LOL

At the moment I playing U7 with Exult but screw up the plot :(

wesley

>> Ultima 5: Never finished it or even got very far. I dislike not having
>> multiple save slots, and the combat really drove me up the wall. But
>> maybe I'd enjoy it more now. Especially if the music patch thingies
>> work.

I found hard it to look after my friends because they killed so easily and I
decide to go SOLO myself and manage to complete U5

U5 is pretty cool.

Wesley wrote:
>>>Ultima 5: Never finished it or even got very far. I dislike not having
>>>multiple save slots, and the combat really drove me up the wall. But
>>>maybe I'd enjoy it more now. Especially if the music patch thingies
>>>work.
>

> I found hard it to look after my friends because they killed so easily and I
> decide to go SOLO myself and manage to complete U5
>
> U5 is pretty cool.

I posted a long time back a loophole by which with hours of tedious
combat and abuse of the karma equation of experience reduction, you can
get all your party members stats up to 30s. Given equipment is limited
only by strength, knowing this, it's best to go with an all mage (and
bards for the remaining slots) party - you can wear all the best
protective gear and everyone can sling spells, which can be a real boost
if things get hairy.

The benefit of the system, of course, is greatly increased survivability.

Words to the wise, Helgraf Dragon <helgraf@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:

>I posted a long time back a loophole by which with hours of tedious
>combat and abuse of the karma equation of experience reduction, you can
>get all your party members stats up to 30s. Given equipment is limited
>only by strength, knowing this, it's best to go with an all mage (and
>bards for the remaining slots) party - you can wear all the best
>protective gear and everyone can sling spells, which can be a real boost
>if things get hairy.
>
>The benefit of the system, of course, is greatly increased survivability.

I still have that save game with my avatar having all 30. This is fun,
a lot of fun.

Three actions per turn, that meant three dead orcs before they even
moved. Very nice to see ... fighting against bats or mongbats was
awesome though. Fear spell of ring of invisibility was a definitely
necessary gadget there.

> right now. Does it still function in XP?

If it doesn't, you should be able to use DOSBOX to get it working.

--
/\_./b__ _O_ <====o Lost Dragon o====> _|_ __d\._/\
(/^/(_^^' | I like people - I just can't eat a whole one | `^^_)\^\)

Zac Bond wrote:
> I need to decide which Ultima I should replay. I finished UW2 in
> about a week of playing all day; something I can finish that quickly
> is ideal since I have another week at home coming up. Here are my
> possibilities so far:

> Ultima 3: Never finished it due to the silliness of game mechanics
> saving whenever you enter town, die, etc. Also, PC version has no
> music and I don't feel like emulating. There was a Windows version,
> but I'm unsure of its status.

I _think_ there's a patch out that upgrades the graphics and returns the
music. I think. It's been a while.

> Ultima 5: Never finished it or even got very far. I dislike not
> having multiple save slots, and the combat really drove me up the
> wall. But maybe I'd enjoy it more now. Especially if the music patch
> thingies work.

Music patch thingie works just fine. I'll put in a serious nod for this
one, though your dislike of the combat is a serious issue given the
amount of it.

> Ultima 6: Haven't played it through since 1995 or so. It's fun, not
> overly hard, and not buried in combat. Seems like it's the leader
> right now. Does it still function in XP?

Haven't tried it in XP, so can't fairly comment.

> Ultima 7: I kinda overplayed it back in the day; I remember where
> everything is too well. Maybe when I have forgotten more it would be
> fun.
>
> Serpent Isle: Same deal as Ultima 7, but worse, because I have played
> it through several times. Plus there's an awful lot of potential plot
> breaking bugs :-/

Play Serpent Isle using Doug the Eagle as your patron saint.

> Ultima 8: It's not very fun, but in retorspect it could have been a
> lot worse. I might try it again. I remember it being fairly tedious
> though.

Guh.