hdd sometimes not recognized?

dmb_fan

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2002
Sometimes when i start my computer my hdd doesnt show up in the bios(it is the boot drive). I have to turn off my computer, open up my case and unplug the power cord from the hdd and once i do that the bios will recognize it again. This seems far from normal behavior. I have a 3month(ish) old Antec True430 and the rails are 11.74/12;4.91/5;3.23/3.3 in AsusProbe so i dont think the PSU has anything to do with it. The HDD is a WD 800jb 8mb cache 80gig bought in sept 02. it has a 3 year warranty which is good news if it ends up being something to do with the hdd. I am using a hard drive cooler so it's never too hot. I have no clue as to the cause of this. Anyone? thanks

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Sounds like a mobo problem. Try updating the BIOS.

-----
Hope for the future.
Reflect on the past.
But focus on the present you mofo.

dmb_fan

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2002
thanks i will have to look into it. I have not updated a bios before. anything extrodinarly important that i wont be easily able to find? Oh btw it's an Asus A7V333 if that makes a dif. Thanks again.

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Don't think there is, don't worry about it. Just follow the insructions very carefully, and you'll be fine.

-----
Hope for the future.
Reflect on the past.
But focus on the present you mofo.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Don't worry, I gave an old A7V system to my stepkid because I couldn't sell it with the same problem. I told her "just restart it until it works". She's been using it for 2 years.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>